Trashing the OT Charity Point

NJD Jester

I tossed this together over the weekend, and figured I'd pass it along here:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/03/...-nhl-standings/

Basically, it's the current standings through a 3 for a win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for a SO win and 0 for a loss filter, and the classic 2 for a win, 1 for a tie system.

I think later in the season, the results could be stunning. Right now, it's interesting to see how these different points systems affect teams like the Rag$.

<JESTER>

I know I am :horse: , but if you have to have a SO the following system is the fairest one. Each game has 3 points to give, period

3 points win in regulation

2 points OT/SO win

1 point OT/SO loss

0 points loss in regulation

I don,t like the fact that some games are 2 point games others are 3 point games. The 3 for a win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for a SO win and 0 for a loss system would make it even worse

Edited by eaglejelly

how about 2 points for a Regulation/OT win, 1 point for a Shootout Win, 1 point for a Shootout loss, and zero points for a loss.

Thats the system I want.

That would be great but why have the shootout? The winner and loser get the same points.

Edit: As an aside, I also hate this system, some games can't be worth more than others. Either change something or go to a 3 point system for all games.

Edited by Devils731

You forgot the one the NHL will adopt eventually, which is 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime win, 1 for an overtime loss, and 0 for a regulation loss.

EDIT - it's also a bit dishonest to remake the standings as though that's how it would play out with different incentives for winning and losing.

Edited by Triumph

I know I am :horse: , but if you have to have a SO the following system is the fairest one. Each game has 3 points to give, period

2 points OT/SO win

1 point OT/SO loss

I don,t like the fact that some games are 2 point games others are 3 point games. The 3 for a win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for a SO win and 0 for a loss system would make it even worse

I agree. Last week, or the week before I was watching some of the Devils flyers game. I think it is too early in the season to be worrying about which team is above/closer in the standings, so all I was rooting for was the game ended in regulation. Kind of a $h!tty way to see a game if you ask me.

EDIT - it's also a bit dishonest to remake the standings as though that's how it would play out with different incentives for winning and losing.

I'm pretty sure that's inferred, Tri. I mean, what should I have done: Sit there and go, "Well, the Rangers would have obviously pulled their goalie in Game 20 to go for three points, so obviously...?"

<JESTER>

I agree. Last week, or the week before I was watching some of the Devils flyers game. I think it is too early in the season to be worrying about which team is above/closer in the standings, so all I was rooting for was the game ended in regulation. Kind of a $h!tty way to see a game if you ask me.

I know I miss the days of rooting for a bloody high scoring tie when rivials played each other. Now I don't even know what to root for so I usually end up watching a different game.

2 points OT/SO win

1 point OT/SO loss

I like the peice. I'm not going to waste my time thinking up new and exciting ways to dole out points but it's fun to see greg's way adn I look forward to follow-ups through the season! :clap: Maybe things can change -- but I'm not holding my breath or wasting much angst on it -- I'll leave that to you Greg! :uni: Thanks :evil: