Devils interested in Schneider?

Candydog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd have to trade away about $2.5 million in order to fit him, which would mean the Ducks only lose about $3 million. If they are planning on trading Schneider to help make room for Niedermayer and Perry next year, they're going to have to free up more than $3 million.

I don't see this happening, maybe with a team that has more cap space than we do, but I doubt Schneider will be coming to New Jersey.

OK. At least give a valid reason why you don't want MS or any other player on the Devils, i.e. salary cap issues, skills diminishing etc. Just don't say no. Back it up with a coherent, mature reasons. I guess that is too much to ask. :whistling:

At least DF26 and moustic gets it.

Edited by hattrick

While the idea of Schneider coming to the Devs makes me giggly like a school girl, I highly doubt it's going to happen. There is a ton of manuevring Anaheim can do to fit Neids in without resorting to moving Schneider. Why move one verteran presence on the blue line for another veteran presence on the blue line. Doesn't make sense to me.

And for those of you sticking your nose up at Schneider, you're insane. I'm all for not overpaying for players, but this team needs a number one D-man in the worst way. Schneider would be an immediate upgrade over anybody we field now, including Martin and White. If anything it would give us a veteran blue line presence and leadership we sorely lack. Can't win with farm system kids forever...

Then again, I really think this is all pipe dreams. As others have mentioned, the numbers don't seem to wash out right. As I've said before, I think we don't see a move until V Day.

Edited by Bulletproof

While the idea of Schneider coming to the Devs makes me giggly like a school girl, I highly doubt it's going to happen. There is a ton of manuevring Anaheim can do to fit Neids in without resorting to moving Schneider. Why move one verteran presence on the blue line for another veteran presence on the blue line. Doesn't make sense to me.

And for those of you sticking your nose up at Schneider, you're insane. I'm all for not overpaying for players, but this team needs a number one D-man in the worst way. Schneider would be an immediate upgrade over anybody we field now, including Martin and White. If anything it would give us a veteran blue line presence and leadership we sorely lack. Can't win with farm system kids forever...

Then again, I really think this is all pipe dreams. As others have mentioned, the numbers don't seem to wash out right. As I've said before, I think we don't see a move until V Day.

The salary cap number is proportional as far as I know, so Schnieder would only cost about $3 million for the rest of this year, though his salary's $5.5 million as far as I remember.

Whatever you trade back to them (say, including but not limited to a Rachunek-type) would lessen the cap hit for us while still giving the Ducks breathing room for this year and room next year to re-up Perry.

I don't know what we could really trade to make it work, we have no expendable forwards as far as I can see, we'd have to trade one or two of our d-men and draft picks. I'd take Schnieder in a second though, he'd give us a scoring threat from the blueline we haven't had since the lockout and he is responsible defensively.

I'd welcome Schneider, the guy has a CANNON from the point. Something last I checked we don't really have. If we can get him where we don't have to get rid of any key players, why not?
Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

Why would these teams trade for Mathieu Schneider?

The Ducks are stuck. They've got to trade something. Schneider's contract is prohibitively expensive, which makes him more difficult to move. Therefore, he'd likely cost less than a lot of other options.

That said, I don't think Schneider is the right fit for New Jersey - though it depends on what defensemen are locked up between now and July. The Devils badly need a top defender but does Schneider have enough left in the tank, and can he avoid injury for long enough to seriously help out the team?

Why would these teams trade for Mathieu Schneider?

The Ducks are stuck. They've got to trade something. Schneider's contract is prohibitively expensive, which makes him more difficult to move. Therefore, he'd likely cost less than a lot of other options.

That said, I don't think Schneider is the right fit for New Jersey - though it depends on what defensemen are locked up between now and July. The Devils badly need a top defender but does Schneider have enough left in the tank, and can he avoid injury for long enough to seriously help out the team?

I agree Schneider would be a risk, but he's better than any of the defensemen the Devs are putting on the ice right now. His big plus is he's a proven powerplay QB that can play solid defense. There aren't many D-men in the leauge that can claim to be that and even fewer that are available. Sure he's up there in years and is known to take a injury or two, but at the right price, he'd be a great addidtion. If the Ducks are indeed shopping him, he's about as good you are going to get if you want D help before the trade deadline.

That being said, I highly doubt the Ducks are going to give up having one of the best bluelines in hockey because of a little thing called a salary cap. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I'm sure Anaheim can move somebody else that doesn't weaken their team as much as losing Schneider would.