Imagine This Winter Classic

DevilsRule2008

They have a good amount of fans...they just play at a hole in the wall of an arena.

The Rangers-Islanders rivalry is pretty good. The league would recognize that way before a Devils-Rangers outdoor game. As the goat mentioned earlier in this thread, there have already been discussions of a Rangers-Islanders game, so...you lose.

To my surprise, while watching espn's around the horn (i hate that show but I saw nhl on it and couldnt believe it), they were talking about possible future outdoor matchups. The first one that they talked was Devils- Rangers at Yankee Stadium. I figured that it would be something like Boston or the Islanders vs. the rangers. That was a little surprising to me that we would be that high on the list.

the biggest issue actually is the weather. a game in NYC in Jan/Feb could actually have temps in the mid to upper 40's or even low 50's. that's a problem.

i'd guess the next game would actually be played at Michigan Stadium between the Wings and someone else likely rangers.

They are talking about a game in Toronto and a game in Montreal, but, like, why? Would any American not already enthralled with hockey watch the Leafs play the Senators? Maybe Leafs vs Detroit or Montreal vs Boston. But I think Boston vs Detroit or Chicago vs Rangers would be better if ratings are what they are after.

They actually discussed hockey on PTI today?!?! Whatsup with that?

They should really stick to the US. The majority of teams are from here and the ratings were so much better for this one. I think it has to be something in New York, Rangers v. Islanders/Devils is a definite. The poll on NHL.com says New York is the desired location for the next one (54.05%), way more than the second-place Montreal (9.79%). Sounds good to me. I'd probably go.

RE: Sticking to non-Canadian teams: And like, north of the border, you could put on a Phoenix Coyotes playing the expansion Mexico City Tacos and get a 99.9 rating.

I do agree with Doc. If there was more than one a year, it loses the uniqueness. Leave it a special once-a-year event if that.

Edited by Don

Wouldn't want to see it be Devils/Rangers in Giants or Yankee Stadium. There'd be too many Rangers fans in one location at one time for my head to be able to deal with. Why not make it Rangers/Flyers and have NJ Devil implode the stadium during the first intermission?

After the US ratings they got with this last game, I can't see the NHL going back to an all-Canadian team outdoor game again (except maybe Leafs/Habs). The league probably wants to get some original six buzz going while continuing to show off the league's young talent. I'd say Rangers vs. Bruins at Fenway (and ride this disgusting wave of Boston mania while playing up a Yanks/Sox angle), but the Bruins are stuck in a world of suck and I doubt the NHL would wanna showcase that. The Blackhawks are an up-and-coming team and the Red Wings have been TV darlings for years (although they aren't the Shanny, Hull, Yzerman loaded lineup they once were). That's my pick ... Hawks/Wings at the Big House.

The thing I would be more interested in if its Devils vs. Rangers at Giants Stadium is the amount of fights that happen in the stands with over 70,000 people in attendance. The action in the crowds might be better than the action on the ice.