GDT: Rangers @ Devils 2/1/2008

HellOnICE

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those clamoring about the lack of offense, yes the fowards are due a certain amount of blame, there are certainly underachievers in the group, and as a whole they arent as smart in their decision making as we would hope.

However, i think one of the biggest problems is the lack of any transition game, and that is a direct result of the defense. The group whose idea of a break out is chipping the puck up the boards to a stationary winger who then has to battle the pinching defenseman, or just out of the zone for the other team to recoup possession. You can count the number of times the team breaks out of their own zone in stride on 1 hand over the course of the game. This results in few odd man chances, especially in close games. Martin when he wants to can change that, but 1 guy can only make so much of a difference. Mottau's decision making is to slow, White has never had a good first pass, Oduya when his head is in the game, but thats about 1/6 games, Rachunek isnt even close at this point, and Vish is like White. So 1 out of the 6 everyday d men can actually start the attack.

Also the d core struggles with down low coverage, they do not gain possession with regularity, and rarely do it with the time to make a play other then chipping the puck away. Its a case of offense stemming from good defense, but when you dont have that the defense, it hurts the teams ability to create offense.

So you seriously believe that the NHL sits down with the officials and they all sit around deciding which team to screw over? And every team has fans who complain that the refs are out to get them.

I don't think it's a matter of the NHL telling the refs to screw the Devils, I think it's a matter of the refs themselves deciding to stick it to Sutter because he mouthed off at them one too many times earlier this season. They're a fraternity and they're trying to make his life miserable because he's a rookie coach that 'needs to be put in place'. And I'm sick and tired of it. They made their fvcking point over and over again, this is at least the seventh or eighth game that the calls have been disgustingly one-sided.

That said, Marty himself cost the team the game with the two bad goals. For some reason it's as if he gets rattled over the fact that so many Rangers fans are in 'our' home arena, cause he had a bad game the first time at the Rock against the Rangers and has had three stellar games at the Garden.

The team at least came to play tonight, I'm actually not as disgusted as I was after the Montreal game. Demoralized over 0-10 to be sure. I wasn't always thrilled with their execution at times, like when they failed to pressure the puck AT ALL on that one sequence in the final two minutes where the Rangers just passed the puck around for a minute killing time.

Edited by Hasan4978

Beck is right devilsfan, ever since thet doughnut incident there seems to be a bias against the Devils. It's something that has been goin on ever since the incident occured.

The Devils had the better of calls for years. They never got called for anything and always got their fair share of PP's.

The refs aren't robots and the Devils are the complainingest team in all the land.

I don't think it's a matter of the NHL telling the refs to screw the Devils, I think it's a matter of the refs themselves deciding to stick it to Sutter because he mouthed off at them one too many times earlier this season. They're a fraternity and they're trying to make his life miserable because he's a rookie coach that 'needs to be put in place'. And I'm sick and tired of it. They made their fvcking point over and over again, this is at least the seventh or eighth game that the calls have been disgustingly one-sided.

Hits the nail on the head. The way I look at the situation, it's gotta be one of two things. There is either an actual concerted effort to screw the Devils over, or the officials are just that bad at their jobs.

Look, I know it sounds ridiculous, but this stuff is blantant. I've been watching hockey religiously for a long time now, and I can't remember the officiating ever going against a team over and over again like it has for the Devils this year. Think of all the things that have happened that you would normally chalk up to a "once or twice a season" hose job. Here's what I can think of just off the top of my head:

--the trip on Brylin's semi-breakaway against the Isles in ot...no call, but they put the Devils two men short at the end and Guerin scores

--Mottau's clear goal against Washington...even the dopes at the league office were able to get their dirty hands on this one

--the Phoenix game...just about the worst display of officiating I've ever seen

--Aaron Asham's penalty against the Isles the last time these teams played on the Island. If you don't remember, there was a scrum in front of the fishsticks net after the whistle...Asham grabbed an Islander from behind with one hand to pull him off another Devil...said Islander falls down, and Asham gets a penalty...brutal, bias and absurd that a "pro" official would make that call.

--tonight...the no calls to negate Clarkson and Martin of scoring chances in the third, followed by the chincey call on Zubrus...all while the Devils are storming...seems a little too convenient to me.

This is just what's coming to me now, but there is alot more...more than should happen.

To those clamoring about the lack of offense, yes the fowards are due a certain amount of blame, there are certainly underachievers in the group, and as a whole they arent as smart in their decision making as we would hope.

However, i think one of the biggest problems is the lack of any transition game, and that is a direct result of the defense. The group whose idea of a break out is chipping the puck up the boards to a stationary winger who then has to battle the pinching defenseman, or just out of the zone for the other team to recoup possession. You can count the number of times the team breaks out of their own zone in stride on 1 hand over the course of the game. This results in few odd man chances, especially in close games. Martin when he wants to can change that, but 1 guy can only make so much of a difference. Mottau's decision making is to slow, White has never had a good first pass, Oduya when his head is in the game, but thats about 1/6 games, Rachunek isnt even close at this point, and Vish is like White. So 1 out of the 6 everyday d men can actually start the attack.

Also the d core struggles with down low coverage, they do not gain possession with regularity, and rarely do it with the time to make a play other then chipping the puck away. Its a case of offense stemming from good defense, but when you dont have that the defense, it hurts the teams ability to create offense.

It doesn't help when they insist on playing Julien-styled box + 1 hockey.

They have to go the whole rink and can't because they can't string anything coherant together. What happened to our forecheck and puck possession mantra? They look like a totally different team strategically. They are horrible in their own end and more and more of the game is being played there. Jagr did nothing on the score sheet, but he owned them down there, it was like he was just goofing off ragging the puck.

Let's put it this way, what they are doing out there is not what Sutter promised. So either they're not listening or he's drinking the Julien flavored Kool Aid. :koolaid: LINE MATCHING IS BACK! Offensive zone faceoff on an icing against the other team's top line.... BRING ON THE CHECKERS!

Something else from the aforementioned Gulitti post-game blog entry:

F*ck. :argh:

Are you really surprised though? Doesn't matter who the Devils coach is, Marty (and Lou) determine when Marty plays.

Sutter has been a bit dissapointing himself lately, not just with being like any other Devils coach vis-a-vis Marty's playing time but really being loath to make any change at all to a lineup that's been losing. Especially after he came in both guns blazing and nothing was sacred.

I mean geez though you can't play Weekes in a back-to-back against a weak non-conference opponent at home? It was the same bs against Phoenix. Are they really that determined to start Marty all the home games? Renney played a career minor leaguer in an important division game last night and guess what, he got a shutout.

Edited by Hasan4978

The Devils had the better of calls for years. They never got called for anything and always got their fair share of PP's.

The refs aren't robots and the Devils are the complainingest team in all the land.

while we were usually in the bottom of Penalties Against in the NHL, we were also near the bottom in Penalties For as well.

let's take 2000-01

We had the #1 PP with only 310 opportunities (highest was CGY with 435).

We had the #12 PK with 320 penalties (2nd least in the NHL to PHI w/314).

NYR was 7th with 400 penalties and 363 PPs.

How about 2002-03, our last Cup.

Dead last in PP Opportunities with 303.

Least amount of penalties with 264.

What a surprise that one of the most disciplined teams in the NHL also had the least PP opportunies!!!!!!!! It's really not a conspiracy.

BTW, Jagr is so lazy when it comes to back-checking it's unbelievable!!! Why didn't he get called for ANY of his numerous hooks/holds tonight? Well, because we really didn't take any penalties to make them call any.

Didn't get a chance to see much of the game tonight but from what I did see, it was a very close contest. The Devils had a ton of jump in their step, even towards the end of the game. The Devils just seemed like they were a step or two off. Passes not hitting where they should, chances not getting buried, etc, etc. This game wasn't about the Devils playing badly, it was more about the Rangers playing better.

As for Drury burying the open netter, I can't get pissed about that. Any one of the Devils would have done the exact same thing in the same situation. So, he pumped his fist...he just had a two goal night in a huge divisional game which was now in the books. I give him a pass.

while we were usually in the bottom of Penalties Against in the NHL, we were also near the bottom in Penalties For as well.

let's take 2000-01

We had the #1 PP with only 310 opportunities (highest was CGY with 435).

We had the #12 PK with 320 penalties (2nd least in the NHL to PHI w/314).

NYR was 7th with 400 penalties and 363 PPs.

How about 2002-03, our last Cup.

Dead last in PP Opportunities with 303.

Least amount of penalties with 264.

What a surprise that one of the most disciplined teams in the NHL also had the least PP opportunies!!!!!!!! It's really not a conspiracy.

BTW, Jagr is so lazy when it comes to back-checking it's unbelievable!!! Why didn't he get called for ANY of his numerous hooks/holds tonight? Well, because we really didn't take any penalties to make them call any.

I'm actually a little surprised with 00-01. But they were sloppy sometimes.

02-03 makes sense. Style of play comes into effect. I don't think you're going to have some kind of crazy spread, say 400 for, 264 against, unless you're running everyone all over the rink. They didn't. And alot of their 3rd periods had no penalties for anyone because they were just killing the clock.

As for the C&G, just do what the Penguins do, fall to the ice and pretend your head was severed. Sometimes, fighting through it is dumb.

It was the 500th point of his career.

Thats fantastic. Maybe that milestone should have been saved for a more important goal rather then some bullsh*t icing on the cake. They had the game won at that point. He should save that type of garbage for when he is playing in front of his wonderful fans at MSG. I'm not a fan of that nonsense when a player is really trying to score a meaningless goal. Pavel Bure was notorious for that crap.

As for the officiating tonight, it was bad. No other way to put it. It's not so much that the Devils didn't get many power plays but then you can't call that tacky garbage that they did on the Devils tonight. Especially against the Rangers. For anybody who watches any of their games, I can't even begin to tell you how many stupid penalties that team takes. Not tonight I guess.

Edited by SickMan

OK how many games to I have to see @ the Rock where this team cannot play defense around Brodeur and we cannot score goals?!?!?! It has been the same story now 4 out of the last 5 home games here. Something needs to be changed NOW before it is too late. WTF does Sutter see in Oduya? He flat out SUCKS! Rachunek is not that far behind Oduya. Why don't Sutter change it up a bit by sitting down Oduya and Rachunek and play Greene and brookbank who are better defenseman! This Devils team is spiraling out of control and nothing but down right now.

What is Lou going to wait for this time? The Devils to fall to the bottom of the division and out of a playoff spot. Well it is going to happen if there are no changes made. Are these players even buying into Sutter anymore? It sure does not look that way. Are the Devils players sick with the flu? Some of them just looked very slow and no motivation. Parise, Clarkson, Rupp and Elias worked their butts off tonight and still scored only one goal. This team is in trouble right now guys and this is far from the Devils team we are all used to seeing. I really feel bad for Brodeur because he has no one in front of him to play defense. This team needs a shake up and this is getting not to be having any fun where the Devils keep losing at home! This is the time where the Devils need to win on home ice! This month is going to make or brake their season guys and it does not look good.

If the Kings come in here tomorrow night and win by 2 or 3 plus goals this team is going to have to make some serious changes and it starts with Lou making some moves here. The Devils need a sniper/goal scorer-elite player that is lacking on this team for years now. Also a veteran defenseman to lead this team. Right now the Devils still do not have those two type of players. This could turn out to be a very long season guys if nothing changes because this Devils team is just not going to win.

I am so fed up with this team and Sutter by scratching Greene and Brookbank when they should be fvcking playing instead of that POS Oduya and Rachunek. Well Gomez got the last laugh again tonight as the crowd was pretty rough on him which he deserves everytime he touches the puck and plays @ the Rock. Gomez and his NYR team is now 5-0 vs. the Devils this season and I am very disgusted.

Sorry for the rant but it is much needed now with this sad team we have right now. Things need to change and these players need a spark under their @$$ and play with some fire and confidence because there is absolutely none out there the past three home games!

FVCK!!! I hate the NYR and their @$$hole fans!!!

Nice name Rangerfan4life, based on the intelligence of your posts, what's that, 4 years? It's amazing after losing 5 games to your collection of millionaire zeros, we're still ahead of you with three games at hand. How pathetic is that? Good luck with that schedule in March and April. You'll be banned by then and won't be able to come back and eat crow, but your team isn't making the playoffs.