To boo or not to boo?

NJDevs26

To boo or not to boo?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Nieds, of course

• Definitely boo, he left us!
    • I'll cheer in appreciation for his time here
    • I'll sit on my hands (neither boo or cheer)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a number of reasons to lose respect for Neids:

Some are for him personally....Some are his association with this "bandwagon parade" known as the Anaheim Ducks....

1.)Regardless of his prowess as a player or future HOF, and his previous contributions to NJ, his conduct this season is inexcusable to his fellow teammates, the league, and the Ducks organization, downright Kobe Bryant primadonna-esque. A selfish decision for a veteran who knows that he is both respected leaguewide and a rolemodel to the newer players. The Last thing the NHL needs. He may have set a precedent by opening a huge can of worms for future seasons. Irresponsable even if you are Gretsky or Sid.

2.)Anaheim fans are as bad as Ranger fans out here, except there ignorance and lack of any knowledge and respect for the game is even more pronounced.

3.)Tired of hearing the media award the Cup to this team - IN FEB. - based on the additon of two players....while Detroit is playing in another league of quality...they don't deserve to make the playoffs - and it will make Teemu and Neids look like selfish fools.

4.)Because he makes the All Star game without even playing 25% of the season - lame.

5.)Because he pulls this fiasco and still gets to wear an "A'.

Sorry, Scotty...next time man up and play hockey like the rest of the league. How can you look vets like Nick Lindstrom and Chris Chelios in the eye?

34 and retiring...please....if there's no more accolades and nothing left to motivate you just leave, don't inhibit everyone else's careers :puke:

Edited by DevilinLA

You left out his two holdouts and the fact he could NEVER win unless there was a BETTER defenseman on his team to carry the load for him (be it Stevens or Pronger)

he could be the best second fiddle in Sports History

But oh yeah... BRING THE RAIN OF BOOS tomorrow night!!!

I am so READY for this game... I swear I hate Anaheim more then the Rangers!!!! (well since 2003)

I won't boo him because he left the team I'll boo him for the fashion he left the team. As a comparison Gomez made it patently clear he was going to look at other teams and reading between the lines it looked like the top money offer from big market team would land him. Nieds on the other hand acted like he didn't know what he wanted to do when hindsight tells us the entire time he didn't sign was just leverage to get his brother and his dollars from Anaheim as high as possible and he never had any intention of going anywhere that Rob wasn't. Lou is a class act to players and I can't think of many situations where he wasn't 100% up front with them internally, even if the player didn't like it. Nieds acted in the opposite fashion to Lou which I find very disrespectful and it will be on Lou's behalf that I would boo Nieds.

Actually at the end of the day I probably won't cheer or boo because it's so far in the past now. I don't boo Gomez either but I'd be much more likely to do it to Nieds than Gomez.

See Gomez is different... he LOVES the attention... you boo Gomez in that Rangers jersey and you might as well be cheering him cause he's feeding off that (just like the classic heel fuels off pissing off the crowd)... the best way to disrespect Gomez IS to sit on your hands and make it look like he's NOT a big deal....

it's a different mindset in how you show disdain for ex-players

if/when Rafalski comes back I'll cheer him... I have no hard feelings there

Niedermayer Looks Forward to His Return to NJ

Some very positive comments made by Nieds in that article.

While I believe that his two holdouts were selfish indeed, I do think that it would be fitting to give him a standing ovation for all he has done for the team. Don't tell me that his two holdouts were more selfish than Gomez'$ shameless decision to jump the river. Plus as SCDevsfan put it, the rafters would have looked rather empty without him.

But Nieds himself said it best, "I'll accept whatever the fans want to do. It's their right."

Edited by CaptainPatrik

He was quite an important part of this team's success (yeah, even when there were better players than him, like Scotty Stevens) and maybe someday #27 will go to the rafters (Lou doesn't have to do it... it may as well happen 20 years later with another GM - Montreal retires numbers of 70-year old guys...). And if he chooses to change the team, let it be. But he is no longer a part of the organisation, he's an Anaheim Duck now and I don't care much about him - that's why I definitely wouldn't cheer him. But I wouldn't boo him either - he's not a slave, he can choose where he wants to go and unless he chooses Rangers or Flyers, he can do that.

And when it comes to this whole retirement thing... Yeah, that was quite classless and irritating, but I didn't think much about him - it wasn't about our team, it was about a guy playing on the opposite end of North America, I could care less what he does: he's not a player of ours.

Unfortunately, I won't have the opportunity even to sit on my hands, because I live on a different continent. :P Have fun, guys, I'm looking forward to this Anaheim game.

You left out his two holdouts and the fact he could NEVER win unless there was a BETTER defenseman on his team to carry the load for him (be it Stevens or Pronger)

he could be the best second fiddle in Sports History

But oh yeah... BRING THE RAIN OF BOOS tomorrow night!!!

I am so READY for this game... I swear I hate Anaheim more then the Rangers!!!! (well since 2003)

maybe he's the scottie pippen of hockey?

i would have no problem booing him. if lou low balled him with an offer and he left that's one thing, but lou gave him a very generous offer and the way i look at it he turned his back on us, so i'll turn my back on him.

As much as I despise Anaheim, I will boo Giguere more. Marty should've won the MVP in 2003. I mean, c'mon he had 3 shutouts in that series for fvck sake!

BTW, how does everyone feel about a member of a losing team getting an MVP trophy? I think its bull. If you lost, you obviously weren't MVP-worthy.

(Sorry if I inadvertently hi-jacked this thread!)

No reason for any Devils fan to boo Niedermayer. After all he has done for the Devils and their organization especially in helping the Devils win 3-Stanley Cups. No way does he deserve the treatment Gomez gets at the game. Niedermayer by far was one of the Devils best players of all-time and they still miss him on defense. Niedermayer did what he had to do and I respect his decision for family. He also turned down a lot more money to stay in New Jersey but took less in Anaheim to help win a Stanley Cup with his brother. It would be stupid to boo him and look like fools to have the fans boo him. If anything don't do nothing at all if you are not going to cheer for him when his name is announced or not. I for one will pay my respects and cheer for Niedermayer. The rest of the game of course will be Lets Go Devils!

His wait to the end of FA to announce his signing with the Ducks, was a deliberate attempt, or a careless maneuver, which resulted in us signing the 3 M's in desperation.

I have no problem with someone who is willing to take less money to play with her sister, but I do have problems with him saying, "I am a Devil" and then scvrwing us for no reason.

If he came out and said on day one of Free agency that I'm leaving, I've got little problem with him personally.

Boo the a-shvle.

As much as I despise Anaheim, I will boo Giguere more. Marty should've won the MVP in 2003. I mean, c'mon he had 3 shutouts in that series for fvck sake!

BTW, how does everyone feel about a member of a losing team getting an MVP trophy? I think its bull. If you lost, you obviously weren't MVP-worthy.

(Sorry if I inadvertently hi-jacked this thread!)

Just wait till you see my jersey in section 209.... I waited a LONG LONG LONG time for this one B )

It's ok... most of the reason I hate that crap Disney team IS because of 2003.... so I hear ya!

Niedermommy going there only fueled the hate :P

Just wait till you see my jersey in section 209.... I waited a LONG LONG LONG time for this one B )

It's ok... most of the reason I hate that crap Disney team IS because of 2003.... so I hear ya!

Niedermommy going there only fueled the hate :P

Damn, I wish I could be there...but living in Atlanta makes it difficult to fly up every other day. I would like to see the jersey. I am happy that I am not the only one who finds it hard to believe that the ducks are actually a team.

Damn, I wish I could be there...but living in Atlanta makes it difficult to fly up every other day. I would like to see the jersey. I am happy that I am not the only one who finds it hard to believe that the ducks are actually a team.

I'll bring the camera and provided the damn jersey gets here from Texas on time :rant:

I'll myspace the photos :koolaid:

When I was in Anaheim Jan of 2003 we sat 15th row next to people who actually said:

"We've been season ticket holders for TEN YEARS since they got here and WE STILL DON'T GET THAT ICING THING"... un-REAL

Not to mention Anaheim was the first team to use those gawdawful inflatable penises we call thundersticks !!! :rant:

Nieds went to go play with his brother. Leave his mother out of this, it's the guy's mother and no one here has a right to bring her up.

I said this once before, but I'll bring it up again. If my two boys grow up with the respect and love the Nieds brothers have for eachother as men, then Mrs. Leeds and I will be as successful as parents as Mr. & Mrs. Niedermayer are.

Say what you want, and I hated seeing him go, but we all knew the writing was on the wall. Lou should have signed his stiff brother to a three year deal when he had a chance.

If I was going I'd be on my feet cheering him...............only in the beginning of course.

I'd like to boo him, but I'd hope other people don't, if that makes any sense.

I never liked Niedermayer and the fact that he had some of the average seasons that he did in the prime of what turned out to be a Hall of Fame career is an insult to hockey.

But he did help win 3 Stanley Cups and deserved a Conn Smythe Trophy in 03 (not 07 - that was a lifetime achievement award).

I never liked Niedermayer and the fact that he had some of the average seasons that he did in the prime of what turned out to be a Hall of Fame career is an insult to hockey.

But he did help win 3 Stanley Cups and deserved a Conn Smythe Trophy in 03 (not 07 - that was a lifetime achievement award).

I won't boo per se. I'll definately yell "SUCKS!" when he's announced in the starting lineup, like most do for all opposing players, but it's not going to be like when Gomez touches the puck in the Devs/Rangers game. I won't openly cheer for him because he plays for the opposing team. When he retires (y'know, for real), then's the time to show the appreciation for what he contributed to here in New Jersey. But until then, he's another (good) player on another team.

I won't take nothing away from Scott because the guy has got a ton of skill, but I agree with Tri on this one. For as good as Niedermayer is, he really was an average player quite often for the Devils. It really wasn't until 2003 where Niedermayer brought it every single night and became the player he is today.

I don't know what to think about this situation. He did help this team win 3 Cups but he also left this team in a tough position after 2004. I respect his decision to play with his brother but I didn't really appreciate the way he went about doing it. This was going to be HIS team and he decided he didn't want it. He was going to be the man here. To me, the bridge between Scotty and the Devils burned a long time ago.

He wears a differnt sweater now. Players come and go and all that really matters is the name on the front of the Jersey, not the back. He didn't want to be a Devil any more. I respect his contributions to the team but to me he really doesn't mean much anymore. Just gotta keep it moving. With that being said though, I will not boo the guy. That right can be reserved for that Pr*ck Gomez.

It's funny how alot of us feel.

I hate him for leaving, but I understand why. (Still mad a lou for not getting the Bro too )

I still don't like how he left, delaying the decision. But I can believe part of him wanted to stay.

He was my favorite Devil for a while but it seemed he could do more.

If this game was last year I would boo him mercilessly. Now with Gomer doing what he did (and saying he wouldn't), I feel a lot less hatred toward Nieds.

On the poll question I will do both, cheer and boo. A mixed message is perfect for a player who is very good at sending out his own.

Edited by John Wensink