Screen Shots: The five worst signings of 2008

Elias26

TheHockeyNews

5. Bryce Salvador, D, New Jersey (Four years, $11.6 million). People mercilessly ripped Leafs interim GM Cliff Fletcher for signing 28-year-old former Avs defenseman Finger to a four-year deal, one that may yet come to haunt Toronto. But nobody said much when the Devils shelled out nearly $3 million a season for 32-year-old Salvador, a Blues castoff who has never amassed more than 12 points in a single season.

Granted, putting up points isn

I'm not sure what the point is. Is it the length of the contract? If so, these writers have to realize you can dump these contracts in the minors, or this contract won't be a huge buyout if it comes to that. There's ways out this contract. It's not that carzy, considering the market.

sure it was a lot of money for a non scoring D man, but Lou probably gave him the extra $$$ to get that crazy NMC idea out of his head.

Bryce will probably play 60-65 games, so how is $2.9per not a bad signing for a guy with his skill level?

4 of the 5 players are defenseman. I think the guy who wrote the article just doesn't get that since there are so few quality defenseman that they get more of a premium than forwards do.

BTW, I thought the general concensus was that the Finger signing was probably the most out there, even if not for the largest dollars, but that only made honorable mention.

sure it was a lot of money for a non scoring D man, but Lou probably gave him the extra $$$ to get that crazy NMC idea out of his head.

Bryce will probably play 60-65 games, so how is $2.9per not a bad signing for a guy with his skill level?

what skill? I don't understand the fascination with this guy when we have 3-4 D just like him. An upgrade is an upgrade I suppose but it was too much for too long.

what skill? I don't understand the fascination with this guy when we have 3-4 D just like him. An upgrade is an upgrade I suppose but it was too much for too long.

Exactly what I said. So how is 2.9 for a guy who will play 3/4 of the year NOT a bad signing. Of course it is a lot for his skill level.

Oh this guy just takes whatever Holland says as gospel now, because he's the GM of the Stanley Cup Champions and has managed to now sign Hossa. Holland is the genius of the month, much like Lou used to be. I heard Holland's comments on XM and he basically said that he doesn't believe in paying guys like defensive defensemen a lot because that's all they do, they defend. They can only offer one thing to the team. I guess in his eyes Johnny Oduya should get paid more than a Scott Stevens then.

Not suprised here by the Salvador contract being in the top 5. Lou paid too much to keep Salvador. I thought Redden would be #1 but #2 is just as bad I guess. Suprised to see Hainsey there at #1. I like Hainsey and he will do good for Atlanta. Naslund should have been in the top 5 as well.

Surprised that the Finger deal only gets dishonorable mention here, while Salvador makes the list.

Other deals that need to be mentioned:

Niklas Hagman (4 years, $12mil for a guy who'll be lucky to crack 20 goals on the Leafs)

Steve Avery (4 years, $15.5mil with a no-movement clause)

Kristian Huselieus (4 years, $19 mil... but I guess they had to replace the streakiness of Zherdev somehow, eh?)

Miroslav Satan (1 year for... $3.5 million? Really? The 2007-2008 version of Satan?),

Arron Asham (multi-year deal... who's got the $ numbers?)

Oh yeah, and how about the RYAN MALONE signing, hm? No? No disdain for throwing that much money at a complementary player?

Good deals/bargains:

Brooks Orpik (6 years, $22.5 million)

Mark Eaton (2 years, $4m)

Olaf Kolzig (1 year, $1.5m + bonuses)

Patrick Lalime (2 years, $2mil)

Todd Bertuzzi (1 year, $1.95 mil)

Deal that I still can't quite figure out:

Blackhawks signing of Huet. So... for this upcoming season they have $12m committed to their goaltending rotation? What, are they just praying Khabibulan gets hurt badly enough to go on LTIR? I know Huet is a puck-stopper and all, but did they really feel that no other good goalie will come along after Khabi and a stop-gap for another year?

Oh this guy just takes whatever Holland says as gospel now, because he's the GM of the Stanley Cup Champions and has managed to now sign Hossa. Holland is the genius of the month, much like Lou used to be. I heard Holland's comments on XM and he basically said that he doesn't believe in paying guys like defensive defensemen a lot because that's all they do, they defend. They can only offer one thing to the team. I guess in his eyes Johnny Oduya should get paid more than a Scott Stevens then.

Well put Skeeter. Add to this the chemistry and make up of a team. Would Lou have rathered he had a offensive minded puck moving D-Man to throw money at? My guess would be yes but you need Bryce Salvadors on your team to.

The Salvador signing is still pretty terrible, all things considered. However, when you compare it to deals like the McKee or Mitchell deal of years past, or even the Finger deal of this season, it's not all that bad. I suspect the Devils value Salvador a bit too highly, but they shopped at the Vishnevski aisle before.

Not sure if I agree with how much Lou shelled out a season for Salvador (no better than a 4 at best?), but I think the signing makes sense for this reason: Martin, Greene, and Salmela are all offensive minded. Having White, Salvador, and whoever else helps anchor that with the more defensive mindset in the third pair. I do like it somewhat, it will help allow each pair to fully exploit their assets.

Edited by dansz15

Trade habby at the deadline to a team in dire need for a playoff goalie (there's always one or more). Sure he has another year left in him but what makes you think there would be a Huet available next year? i think it was a smart move.

Another Huet, no.

But next year's top UFA goalies include Ryan Miller, Niklas Backstrom, and Mike Smith.

Again, maybe it was a smart move, but it left me scratching my head a bit, 's all I'm sayin'.

Another Huet, no.

But next year's top UFA goalies include Ryan Miller, Niklas Backstrom, and Mike Smith.

Again, maybe it was a smart move, but it left me scratching my head a bit, 's all I'm sayin'.

I'd be surprised if any of those made it to july 1st unless they collapse, in which case no one would want them anyway :P

Besides by trading Habby this year they basically can get something for nothing even if its just a 2nd or 3rd pick at the expense of 6m instead of loosing him for nothing. That seems like a lot but its also extra security in case Huet gets hurt or has a bad season etc etc

[5. Bryce Salvador, D, New Jersey (Four years, $11.6 million). People mercilessly ripped Leafs interim GM Cliff Fletcher for signing 28-year-old former Avs defenseman Finger to a four-year deal, one that may yet come to haunt Toronto. But nobody said much when the Devils shelled out nearly $3 million a season for 32-year-old Salvador, a Blues castoff who has never amassed more than 12 points in a single season.

Granted, putting up points isn

I think the Salvador deal was a good deal that will help the team. It is a bit to much money but hey this is the NEW NHL which I thought was supposed to prevent players making rediculous amounts of money :giggle: Anyway, last season we didn't have someone that could move guys out of the front of the net. Salvador is a big guy who can hit and move guys out of the way of Brodeur. So that all Marty or Kevin has to think about is stoping the puck.

Edited by Prucenterrules