Eklund Rumor: Gomez to Vancouver, Sundin to NYR

insanity_gallops

Yeah, yeah, I know - it's Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), he's a crackpot, he's full of it, blah blah blah. But hey, it's the off-season and at least it makes for an entertaining read.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16541

"We are hearing that the Rangers will sign Mats and deal Gomez."

This source is a source I very much trust. Of course Mats still has to come to play.

I think my favorite is the, ahem, "cut & paste template" he provides at the bottom of the page.

That would be in a word...rich. As a Devils fan, I would love it to no end. I don't think Sather is THAT dumb...

+1, Blowmez was their best player last year. But they could probably get a good player like Bieksa and some decent picks out of it

Gomez plays better in a media attention spotlight

so if you're not a spotlight team like Toronto or Montreal or NY... he's gonna suck there because he needs attention whore time.... so any trade elsewhere (maybe Phily too) would be just dumb

That wouldn't be a terrible move for the NYR, but why sign Gomez for that long as a centerpiece of the team only to trade him away and sign someone for one season.

So get rid of a pretty decent center (mind the salary for now) with more years ahead of him and 2 cup rings for a center with MAYBE 1 year left in his tank and has no SC Finals experience?

That would be in a word...rich. As a Devils fan, I would love it to no end. I don't think Sather is THAT dumb...

Add me to this one too. I would love to see Gomez moved out of NY but I don't see Sather doing it.

This has to be one of the dumbest things Ecklund has ever posted (and that's an accomplishment for him). Gomez is young and signed long term. Sundin is old, will demand a lot of money for probably one or two years. Gomez was also their best player last year. If the Rangers do this, I will ultimately be happy, but I'd feel bad for Ranger fans for having the dumbest and worst management in the history of hockey.

That wouldn't be a terrible move for the NYR, but why sign Gomez for that long as a centerpiece of the team only to trade him away and sign someone for one season.

You're talking about the rangers, they'll do anything for an old-as-dirt hockey player past their prime.

including a 39 million dollar contract. :boogie:

You're talking about the rangers, they'll do anything for an old-as-dirt hockey player past their prime.

including a 39 million dollar contract. :boogie:

Off topic: Where did you get that pic of those Devils players in your sig? dont remember ever seeing that, was it a photo shoot for a hockey mag or something??

it actually could make a lot of sense to deal gomez. but not to the canucks, who don't have anything the rangers (or anyone else, for that matter) want. gomez would have to be dealt for a solid prospect somewhere - the rangers paid a lot of his contract up front, so his cap hit is now bigger than his salary. if they talk sundin into signing a 2 year deal, it's perfectly fine - not like gomez is irreplacable, and not like much of the rangers' roster complements gomez at this point.

Off topic: Where did you get that pic of those Devils players in your sig? dont remember ever seeing that, was it a photo shoot for a hockey mag or something??

noo, it was an article for NJ.com I've already had a few people ask so heres the link again

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/04...ou_know_us.html

Why or why...even the Rangers...do this? I understand some of the points about the cap hit etc. but it makes no sense to sign Gomer long term just to trade him and pick up ANOTHER aging player. It didn't work for the REDSKINS or ORIOLES and it won't work for the Rangers.

Why or why...even the Rangers...do this? I understand some of the points about the cap hit etc. but it makes no sense to sign Gomer long term just to trade him and pick up ANOTHER aging player. It didn't work for the REDSKINS or ORIOLES and it won't work for the Rangers.

Which is why I hope this happens.