Brady out for season?

Prucenterrules

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would hurt

but they said the same when Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe all those years ago too :P

Yeah except the Pats were 5-13 under the Belichick-Bledsoe tandem before Mo Lewis inadvertantely gave birth to the Evil Empire. This Pats team is coming off a banner-raising season (I nearly wet my pants laughing when I saw the put up a banner for 16-0 in the regular season).

Yeah bad news for the Patriots. Now lets see what they are made of with Cassels @ QB. Maybe they go and get Culpepper out of retirement and reunite him with Moss? :noclue: That would be some story since Culpepper just retired.

Yeah, we are about to see the Patriots face some adversity. It will be very interesting to see how they react. The plus for them is some strong veteran leadership.

and how that affects what Matt Cassel may or may not be, how???

Good God they are talking to Chris Simms.... 16-0 to 0-16 anyone?? :blink:

Ha that would be funny.. but they already won a game :P

I still think they'll finish 10-6 or 9-7.. at worst 8-8

So certainly that division is more up for grabs with the Pats being much more down to earth without Brady

you know it was reported that Vince young has a TORN ACL and is only out for 2-4 weeks....... What exactly is Brady injury? Worse than young's torn ACL?

News: Patriots QB Tom Brady left the club's Week 1 game vs. Kansas City with a left knee injury after he was hit by Chiefs DB Bernard Pollard and fell to the ground awkwardly. Yahoo! Sports and Peter King of Sports Illustrated are reporting Sunday night that Brady has major ligament damage in his knee, possibly a torn ACL. Before the injury, Brady had completed 7-of-11 passes for 76 yards before leaving. Brady was helped off the field and into the club's locker room, not walking under his own power. He did not return to the game as Matt Cassel took over. Pats head coach Bill Belichick didn't have an update after the game. An official word might come tomorrow.
Edited by overtime98

Ha that would be funny.. but they already won a game :P

Well I guess CRASHER was serious when he said he was too smashed to remember most of what happened after Brady's injury ;)

Although the Pats were ripe for the taking. Figures they had to be playing at home against the Herm Chiefs, one of the few teams they could beat with Cassel at QB coming in cold and while shellshocked over Brady's injury.

How a team is so bad offensively with Gonzalez, LJ and Dwayne Bowe would almost be beyond me if I didn't suffer through Hermball firsthand for five years :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I keep forgetting that cause I drank A LOT after :P

and it didn't feel like a New England win.... beating the Chiefs by less then 12 should be considered a loss!!!

you know it was reported that Vince young has a TORN ACL and is only out for 2-4 weeks....... What exactly is Brady injury? Worse than young's torn ACL?

Depends on the degree of the tear

No way a torn ACL is a 4 week injury so something is wrong there--but I agree--do we really know what Brady's injury is? As a JETS fan I can't say it breaks my heart if he is gone for the season (but I don't like to see players get hurt)

Hrm. As a Pats fan, this sure makes the NFL season far more interesting. To see if a backup QB that hasn't played all that well and had an absolutely horrible pre-season can get the team into the playoffs should be interesting. Prior to todays events, the playoffs were a foregone conclusion and now things have a tinge of suspense.

No way a torn ACL is a 4 week injury so something is wrong there--but I agree--do we really know what Brady's injury is? As a JETS fan I can't say it breaks my heart if he is gone for the season (but I don't like to see players get hurt)

thats what I thought..... New England has been known not to report full info on injuries in the past, so maybe something was reported wrong on Brady. They did say the MRI for Brady is due for tomorrow, right? so then maybe the right report will come out....

I agree with the torn ACL on vince young, must not be that serious to only be 4 weeks...

Vince Young may have a sprained ACL instead and that takes about 4 weeks to heal. It it is torn, then Young is out for the season as well.

it was reported from the NFL network that its a torn ACL, so go figure.... and he will be out for 2-4 weeks.... (I posted the info in the NFL thread).......

That would pretty much mean New England wouldn't make the playoffs.

I remember thinking the same thing when Bledsoe was knocked out of Game 2 in 2001. Just like every other Patriot fan, I thought that no Bledsoe=no chance.

Granted, Brady turned out to be a much better player than Bledsoe, and I'm not saying that Cassel's now going to step right in and repeat Brady's success of 2001-02. But I'm not going to write them off and say that won't make the playoffs. I still give them a shot to do that, and regardless of what they do once they get there, I'd have to consider it a successful season, under the circumstances.

The reports have the Pats bringing in Chris Simms (as previously mentioned) and Tim Rattay in for workouts to be the potential backup for Cassel. Ironically enough, the Pats weren't sure whether they wanted to use that 6th-round, 199th pick on Brady or Rattay. If anything, it shows they don't think Gutierrez is ready to step in if - yikes - anything should now happen to Cassel. At least Cassel got a lot of snaps in preseason.

Brady may have torn the PCL. I had a partial tear of the PCL on a similar hit as a budding young defensive line superstar when I was 16 years old. (OK, I was 5'9 and I wasn't very good, but one can dream.)

Annnyway, if Young has a partial tear of the ACL, it may only be 4 weeks. The PCL, while harder to injure, is also WAY harder to fix. I still have the partial tear of the PCL, and its been 9 years. I had minor surgery to remove the wrecked cartilage and fix the knee cap which was dislocated, but hhe doc told me that the surgery to fix the ligament would most likely end any athletic competition because of the amount of physical therapy needed. (Which for me is recreational roller hockey, haha.) Keep in mind, though, this was in 1998. I'm sure the situation is way different now.

Another point about the severity of the injury, when I partially tore my PCL, I played the rest of the season (cause I was 16 and dumb). Brady, who, as an NFL quarterback, is obviously a much tougher man than I am, was clearly shaken and needed to be helped back to the locker room, meaning his injury could indeed be very serious.

Can Pats fans stop crying? I get that they are in incredible shock. This is the second stomach-punch moment in two straight games. I get that. But every team has had to deal with this except Packers fans and Colts fans. And the bottom line is none of those teams had better teams around their QB and an easier schedule to go with it.

I'm a Panthers fan and the last two years I've seen a playoff team barely miss the playoffs because of two season ending injuries to Jake Delhomme. Two years ago, Chris Weinke (who likely will finish his career with a 2-18 record) stepped in with our team in the Wild Card spot and proceeded to crap the bed. You know how he got his second career win? We won 10-3 with rushing the ball 52 times and throwing it 7. DeAngelo Williams lineup as QB for most of the entire game.

Last year we had the rotating order of David Carr (who wasn't allowed to play at home because the fans were booing him so badly), a 44-year-old QB who couldn't play back-to-back games because of the aches and paines after each game, and finally an undrafted rookie.

The bottom line is that we finished just two games under .500 in those years with a much sh!ttier team, a harder schedule, and a coach that isn't BB.

Just sign Culpepper or Simms, and let them figure out how to throw a deep bomb to Moss who can grab anything, or just throw underneath to Welker and let him do his magic. This team could easily still win 11 games.

Edited by devilsrule33

Can Pats fans stop crying? I get that they are in incredible shock. This is the second stomach-punch moment in two straight games. I get that. But every team has had to deal with this except Packers fans and Colts fans. And the bottom line is none of those teams had better teams around their QB and an easier schedule to go with it.

I'm a Panthers fan and the last two years I've seen a playoff team barely miss the playoffs because of two season ending injuries to Jake Delhomme. Two years ago, Chris Weinke (who likely will finish his career with a 2-18 record) stepped in with our team in the Wild Card spot and proceeded to crap the bed. You know how he got his second career win? We won 10-3 with rushing the ball 52 times and throwing it 7. DeAngelo Williams lineup as QB for most of the entire game.

Last year we had the rotating order of David Carr (who wasn't allowed to play at home because the fans were booing him so badly), a 44-year-old QB who couldn't play back-to-back games because of the aches and paines after each game, and finally an undrafted rookie.

The bottom line is that we finished just two games under .500 in those years with a much sh!ttier team, a harder schedule, and a coach that isn't BB.

Just sign Culpepper or Simms, and let them figure out how to throw a deep bomb to Moss who can grab anything, or just throw underneath to Welker and let him do his magic. This team could easily still win 11 games.

WTF are you talking about? I see two responses on this thread from Pats fans (me and Don) and neither one of us are crying. Most Pats fans that I've seen posting elsewhere have pretty much posted similar sentiments: it sucks, but it's part of the game and can happen to any player, any time, any place. The fact that Brady owns the 3rd-longest streak of consecutive games played (for a QB, I think) speaks volumes about how lucky and durable he's been. I went to the Pats-Jets season opener when Vinny Testaverde, coming off a career year where his Jets came within one game of getting to the Super Bowl, tore his Achilles heel on his first play and missed the whole season. I also saw it happen to Carson Palmer in a playoff game.

But how exactly do you want Pats fans to react? I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for us, and I don't think other Pats fans expect that either. But yeah, we're shocked and bummed, as pretty much any other fanbase would be the day after losing its star QB (and best player to boot). I'm sure some Pats fans might even be "crying" a little.

Why exactly do you even care about this anyway? Didn't your team have a great comeback win against San Diego yesterday? I'd think you'd concern yourself more with that than worrying about Pats fans?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm not talking about anyone on this board. Just the reaction I've gotten from a ton of Pats fans out there including close family that are Pats fans.

I agree with what you are saying though. I am just trying to point out that the Pats are still in a better situation than any other team that has lost their starting QB, with their cupcake schedule.

I'm not talking about anyone on this board. Just the reaction I've gotten from a ton of Pats fans out there including close family that are Pats fans.

I agree with what you are saying though. I am just trying to point out that the Pats are still in a better situation than any other team that has lost their starting QB, with their cupcake schedule.

OK, that's cool. And their schedule is easy based on last year's W-L, although it looks like their division opponents have improved.

OK, that's cool. And their schedule is easy based on last year's W-L, although it looks like their division opponents have improved.

Absolutely, and the Patriots will now have to learn how to play real football. No more winning 52-7 and not punting or going for field goals. They won't be able to build such a lead where they know the other team is going to pass all game, and the Patriots can just pin their ears back and rush the QB.

Time to go back to playing situational football. A lot more game planning. Time to see how good this Pats defense really is.

You're just making up stuff. The Pats didn't play "situational football?" Belichick didn't do much game planning? Talk about revisionist history.

I think he's referring more to last year then anything... New England really did get a little caught up in itself and struggled reacting when they got punched in the face (not to mention the pressure REALLY got to them in the Super Bowl)

this team can still win 10-11 games with Cassel...just not gonna win a ring this year

Matt Cassel is now auditioning for about 10 NFL Teams that will need a QB next year (KC, Minn, Tampa, Carolina (maybe), SF, Washington... etc....)

I have to say something about this Brady situation.

After reading some Bills message boards and SOME of the fans I admit, disgust me. These are the same fans (and I'm sure this goes for other Jets fans as well) who RIP Philly fans for cheering when Michael Irvin got hurt, but then turn around and say "f Brady, I'm glad he is hurt!"

Well say what you want about Brady's arrogance, but last I checked, he earned that arrogance, and is not a dirty player. Now if Vince Wilfork got this, MAYBE i feel a touch different. But these guys are still humans and I don't wish that on anyone.

And as for a replacement QB for the pats*, How about "The Passion Of The JP????"

823CAAABF7E144E5B259A8475B806464.jpg

CMON JP GET A RAZOR!!!!