Chico

RockingTheRed81

Guess what, most color guys are bad. Some are beyond awful. He's better than Joe the Merc, who sounds like he's reading suck-up scripts especially written for him by Dolan. Which really rings true considering he was the Isles' color guy before JD skipped town.

Joe is a better announcer in preparation and awareness (partially because Chico is on his own planet), but the material makes him worse.

Then you have the same schtick from Terry Crisp and it just seems so forced and ungenuine, like he's a bad lounge comedian.

Edited by maxpower

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the biggest Chico supporters. I agree that he is our John Madden. A commentator who has a distinct personality and sense of humor. For one, both he and Doc are unbiased. They obviously root for the Devils (especially Chico) but they spend a lot of time praising and talking about the opposing team/players. Secondly, I think that he does have good insight into the game, especially the subtleties of goaltending. Also, I like that his personality he's friendly and warm and he makes the game's fun. It's like you're watching the game unfold with an old friend. Plus, I like his old school anecdotes and occasional yearnings for the bench-clearing good ol' days. I love it when he rambles and gets on tangents. It's funny, and I think he entertains. He adds "color" and personality to the game. Plus, I think Doc is the best when he is with Chico. I think Chico's amiable, took too many pucks to the head, personality brings out Doc's personality and humor. Simply put, Doc and Chico are the best. The most informative and entertaining guys in the league.

I love Doc and Chico, I can't stand watching a hockey game with out them. I do appreciate that the other networks hire Doc, unless it's when the devils are playing and we get stuck with Chico and Steve C.

I am not looking forward to the day that Doc and Chico are no longer a team.

Devils Fans are lucky to have him... He is one of the better color men in the game. He has his quirks, but he is generally fun.

That's the bottom line for me. It could be worse, we could have Mickey Redmond, or Larry Murphy. I think that Chico is a good contrast to Doc.

The fact that he is accessible says a lot about him and Doc. After a game, during warm-ups, they always have time for the fans. There isn't much more you can ask from a guy.

There's always the mute button if you don't like him. I have a feeling he's not going anywhere.

chico rocks!

He does ramble a bit, but thats great!

He is a wealth of knowledge, his persona masks his intelligence.

He is the perfecy compliment to docs dry humor and cerebral "savant" like play by play.

on a side note i love the intro music to "chico eats"...it's that turn of the century boardwalk carnival style...so cool.

Devils Fans are lucky to have him... He is one of the better color men in the game. He has his quirks, but he is generally fun.

That's the bottom line for me. It could be worse, we could have Mickey Redmond, or Larry Murphy. I think that Chico is a good contrast to Doc.

The fact that he is accessible says a lot about him and Doc. After a game, during warm-ups, they always have time for the fans. There isn't much more you can ask from a guy.

There's always the mute button if you don't like him. I have a feeling he's not going anywhere.

You clearly don't watch much out of town hockey if you think Chico is one of the best. Thats the biggest joke I've read in this thread.

Who the hell wants to watch hockey on mute? Watching hockey in surround sound is amazing especially when the crowd is loud. Why should I be punished because Chico is a goofball that rambles?

I actually feel bad bashing him because he such a nice person but thats not what this thread is about.

I would love to put this thread in a the "Hockey Talk" board over at HF and see what non Devils fans think about Chico. I bet it would get ugly.

Chico plays the role of the lovable buffoon perfectly. Sure, he's not the most insightful guy on the air and yeah, he may step on Doc from time to time but he has a certain charm to him that I personally love. When he's on the air, it's almost like having a friend in your living room loving the game with you.

However, I agree with BC that there's better color men out there and the quy is nowhere near a professional broadcaster. Trust me, there has been many a time when I've groaned, "Cmon, Chico...really?" That being said, I like having a guy on the air that gets just as amped about the game as we do. Doc is the expert, Chico the goofy Devils fan with a mic. The combination of the two work perfectly for me.

Chico plays the role of the lovable buffoon perfectly. Sure, he's not the most insightful guy on the air and yeah, he may step on Doc from time to time but he has a certain charm to him that I personally love. When he's on the air, it's almost like having a friend in your living room loving the game with you.

However, I agree with BC that there's better color men out there and the quy is nowhere near a professional broadcaster. Trust me, there has been many a time when I've groaned, "Cmon, Chico...really?" That being said, I like having a guy on the air that gets just as amped about the game as we do. Doc is the expert, Chico the goofy Devils fan with a mic. The combination of the two work perfectly for me.

I think this pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

You clearly don't watch much out of town hockey if you think Chico is one of the best. Thats the biggest joke I've read in this thread.

Who the hell wants to watch hockey on mute? Watching hockey in surround sound is amazing especially when the crowd is loud. Why should I be punished because Chico is a goofball that rambles?

I actually feel bad bashing him because he such a nice person but thats not what this thread is about.

I would love to put this thread in a the "Hockey Talk" board over at HF and see what non Devils fans think about Chico. I bet it would get ugly.

the main board on HF is full of retards. the only reason they'd hate Chico is that he made something out of himself, in spite of his limitations, while they get into E-fights

There are far more color guys worse than Chico. You should watch Center Ice there are some bad ones out there. The Tampa guys are the worse, if you listened to them you would think there is a league conspiracy against them and that is the reason why they are in last place. The Philly and Pittsburgh commentators aren't far behind and that isn't even mentioning the person who sits in the Rangers chair and is forced by the Garden to act the same way.

Yes, Chico is a homer and does cheerlead a bit but I don't think it has ever gotten to the point where he can't give the other team credit or goes on about a nonexistant league conpiracy against the Devils. That is the way it is with many of the color commentators out there.

the main board on HF is full of retards. the only reason they'd hate Chico is that he made something out of himself, in spite of his limitations, while they get into E-fights

There are alot "special posters" on HF but there is also a nice sample of quality hockey fans. I'm pretty sure the knowledgable, reasonable hockey fan does not enjoy Chico.

As a matter of fact I bet they, much like myself, get frustrated listening to him. Even yesterday, Doc was calling the game and the play went offside. Chico cut him off and said I think they are calling a penalty. Then 20 seconds later he says sorry Doc it was just an offside play. It's an honest mistake that I could live with if it only happened occassionally but those mistakes are the norm. It's almost as if he has no idea what's going on half the time which is surprising because he obviously knows the game. Another example from yesterday's game was the Zajac goal. He starts screaming, "I don't know Doc is that the hattrick for Parise"? It was clearly a great pass from Parise to Zajac for the goal and Chico had NO idea, until the 2nd replay. Is he watching the game? Does he need glasses?

I know everyone loves the guy but in a big playoff game I don't wanna hear Chico rambling on. He's goofy and he's lost at times. The Chico Eats segment is amateur hour. Doc is the best PBP man in the game and the color man really doesn't matter so I think Chico gets a pass but nominating him for an Emmy is a total joke.

There are far more color guys worse than Chico. You should watch Center Ice there are some bad ones out there. The Tampa guys are the worse, if you listened to them you would think there is a league conspiracy against them and that is the reason why they are in last place. The Philly and Pittsburgh commentators aren't far behind and that isn't even mentioning the person who sits in the Rangers chair and is forced by the Garden to act the same way.

Yes, Chico is a homer and does cheerlead a bit but I don't think it has ever gotten to the point where he can't give the other team credit or goes on about a nonexistant league conpiracy against the Devils. That is the way it is with many of the color commentators out there.

I don't mind blatant homerism. I like the Pittsburgh guys because at least they know whats going on. I still enjoy Peter Mcnab making noises in the backround after a Avalanche goal. Chico just seems lost to me.

Cuz the HF Boards arent the cesspool of the fvcking internet or anything right?

/makes wanking motion

Give me a break. Chico ain't the greatest but as a man who watches about 20-25 hockey games a week on Centre Ice, he's in the top tier. YOU are the one who must not watch a lot of out of town hockey. What teams have better color guys than the Devils? I want a list immediately. Because as far as I can tell, there is a serious lack of quality talent across the NHL, both color and play by play.

So yeah, I await your top 10 or whatever.

Edited by mikeford

Cuz the HF Boards arent the cesspool of the fvcking internet or anything right?

/makes wanking motion

Give me a break. Chico ain't the greatest but as a man who watches about 20-25 hockey games a week on Centre Ice, he's in the top tier. YOU are the one who must not watch a lot of out of town hockey. What teams have better color guys than the Devils? I want a list immediately. Because as far as I can tell, there is a serious lack of quality talent across the NHL, both color and play by play.

So yeah, I await your top 10 or whatever.

The bolded parts indicate that you are a teenager. PM if you want a lesson on hockey junior.

I'll give you 12. Ed Olczyk, Peter McNab, Marc Crawford, Harry Neale, Craig Simpson, Greg Millen, Billy Jaffe, Darren Eliot, Andy Brickley, Bob Errey, Daryl Reaugh, and Mike Greenlay.

I didn't include Potvin and Micheletti because their constant complaining about the referees is really annoying. Pang screaming after every great save and big hit is a little obnoxious, I'm not a huge fan of him either. Chico is with them in my bottom 4.

lol, no, you're the joke!

I watch tons of out of town hockey and I still love Chico. He's probably in my top 10.

The Eddie Olczyk's of the world are great technical commentators, but, in terms of personality, they don't hold a candle to Chico. I want to be entertained, and, frankly, a lot of the guys around the league put me to sleep. Heck, most sports commentators bore me to tears. As has been said many times, watching a game with Chico is like watching it with a friend. He sees the play happen as you do. I think that it takes him a few looks because his attitude is "let's see exactly what happened." Pkus, I think Chico plays dumb sometimes. It's his persona. Although his "Does Mottau's dog have blue eyes?" comment was pretty bad. I honestly think that we're lucky to have him.

There are alot "special posters" on HF but there is also a nice sample of quality hockey fans. I'm pretty sure the knowledgable, reasonable hockey fan does not enjoy Chico.

Congratulations, you've just alienated all of the "knowledgable, reasonable hockey fans" on THIS board who thoroughly enjoy Chico. And I guarantee you that there's a lot more of those than there are people who don't like Chico.

Edited by RowdyFan42