NJDEVS Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are kinda missing the point on carcillo though he's not a huge pickup, however If he can be a "Clarkson" for them that's an upgrade for them. Upshall wasn't great partly because John Stevens held him back. Clarkson has made a real big impact on our team this year. 30+ points top tier in Scaps. He does it all a grinder with offense. Philly does have 4 - "Middleweights" and I don't really a centerman out of those 4. I think this move may put Cote in the same place as Rupp is now which is on the outside looking in. Cote is turned useless, he gets the tar beat out of him and doesn't really fight or hit much which was the only way he was effective. For many teams this is an upgrade but for Philly eh it's alright.

BTW the diffrence between Carcillo and Avery is Avery is a bitch, Carcillo isn't.

You guys are kinda missing the point on carcillo though he's not a huge pickup, however If he can be a "Clarkson" for them that's an upgrade for them. Upshall wasn't great partly because John Stevens held him back. Clarkson has made a real big impact on our team this year. 30+ points top tier in Scaps. He does it all a grinder with offense. Philly does have 4 - "Middleweights" and I don't really a centerman out of those 4. I think this move may put Cote in the same place as Rupp is now which is on the outside looking in. Cote is turned useless, he gets the tar beat out of him and doesn't really fight or hit much which was the only way he was effective. For many teams this is an upgrade but for Philly eh it's alright.

BTW the diffrence between Carcillo and Avery is Avery is a bitch, Carcillo isn't.

But their goalie chokes anyway.em114.gif

So now that the tradeline has come and gone and Clemmer is still a Devil does that mean they will call him up and send Weekes down or can Weekes still be claimed?

So now that the tradeline has come and gone and Clemmer is still a Devil does that mean they will call him up and send Weekes down or can Weekes still be claimed?

Lou won't do it because what is the point of bringing Clemmer back up??? Brodeur is gonna play majority of the remaining games and Weekes won his last 5 starts with a GAA lower than 2.00.

Carcillo and McLaren were born to be Flyers. That team is going to hurt some people...but these trades really didn't make them better on the ice. But if we see them in the playoffs, prepare for a lot of Devils getting run from behind, hit up high, elbowed.

We still have Sal, Clarkie and Rupp. I know fighting dies down in the playoffs, but theyre not gonna run us at will without payback.

There's a fine line between an early round exit and winning the cup. Standing still on trading deadline has NOT proved to be a successful strategy for us the past 5 years.

I'm sorry, it just grates me. Its like a Droopy Dog cartoon with the pessimism no matter waht the situation.

Amazing after the season we've had, players stepping up, success despite pitfalls, adding a nice depth defensman....and people like you and El Diablo still running your mouths and bitching about Lou.

We haven't seen a team with depth like this in 5 years.

You should be ashamed you sound like spoiled brats.

What did you really want? Pronger, Neids, J-Bou? What were you willing to part with?..... A 5th round conditional pick?....please Come On.

Sorry your stuck with an elite TEAM that plays like a TEAM. It'll have to do.

I have gotta say i was dissapointed with the whole thing, and i can see this happening pretty much every year now, its going to be really really difficult to move anyone mid season.

The best time of the year for movement from now on is going to be in the Summer and around the draft.

There were far to many MEH trades.

There's a fine line between an early round exit and winning the cup. Standing still on trading deadline has NOT proved to be a successful strategy for us the past 5 years.

that reasoning is so poor - i'm not sure why you think that that statement reveals anything at all (besdies the fallacy that new jersey has stood still on deadline day when the only year they didn't make a move was 2007).

besides, it was successful in 2003. and if you think 'the devils didn't stand still, they got marshall, etc.', go read the archives. everyone here, i think me included, were disappointed with the haul.

where does this team need an upgrade and how could it have gotten one? nowhere. no one traded yesterday would have helped new jersey win more games.

The Devils didn't exactly stand still. They got a 35 year old defensive rental.

The best acquistion the Devils got was MB30 returning in net.

Not just getting Brodeur back and signing Havelid, who may sign a year or two deal in the off season like Salvador did. Lou went out and got Shanahan, Holik and Rolston. It may not be at the TDL, but he did go out and get players to make this team a lot better than it was the last few seasons. I am fine that Lou stood pat at the TDL yesterday. havelid was a big pick up and will help this team the rest of the way. There were many other teams going after Havelid and Lou got him sooner than later.

What does this mean for Gionta? Is he gone after the season? He might not even score 20 goals this season but do you think some team will be crazy enough to give him 4-5 million per because they think they can get more out of him? At what price would you be willing to bring him back? Same for Madden?

The Devils didn't exactly stand still. They got a 35 year old defensive rental.

I mean why just have a pretty old team, we may as well have a REALLY old team!

What bothers me about this is that we traded a young player with probably a decent potential, for someone who is 35 and clearly a rental. If we're making an obvious cup run this year, we should have made a bit more of an effort at the deadline.

What bothers me about this is that we traded a young player with probably a decent potential, for someone who is 35 and clearly a rental. If we're making an obvious cup run this year, we should have made a bit more of an effort at the deadline.

Like what? I don't see any amazing moves that the Devils should have made. Maybe Jokinen? I guess, but I don't see him making enough difference to the Devils to trade what it would have taken to get the deal done.

The Devils semi-recently added Marty, Shanny, and Havelid as all additions to the roster with no substractions. That seems like a pretty good haul for just giving up a prospect defenseman who probably has 2 other prospects at about the same level of worth with the team.

WHAT????

Alexander Suglobov was supposed have pretty decent potential too.

We traded a player who probably won't make our roster even next year for a guy how is built for the playoffs. You play to win the Cup. Lou acquired a player that makes THIS TEAM better RIGHT in the quest to win the ultimate prize.

Hats off to Lou for once again putting us in a position to win this thing again.

Like what? I don't see any amazing moves that the Devils should have made. Maybe Jokinen? I guess, but I don't see him making enough difference to the Devils to trade what it would have taken to get the deal done.

The Devils semi-recently added Marty, Shanny, and Havelid as all additions to the roster with no substractions. That seems like a pretty good haul for just giving up a prospect defenseman who probably has 2 other prospects at about the same level of worth with the team.

don't you see? new jersey gave up a young player, and that's bad, so clearly the solution is to give up more young players.

i can't even imagine what a jokinen to new jersey package looks like - clarkson, greene, 1st, zharkov? probably, and even then, new jersey doesn't have anyone as overrated as matthew lombardi.

Yeah but it's not like we are looking for a future in Havelid. The Devils gave up a defenseman that looks completely lost in his own zone. I liked Salmela's offense and was sad to see him go but Anssi is not going to help the Devils in the playoffs this year. Havelid will. The farm system has a few promising guys in Corrente, Eckford, Fraser, and others. Martin is a keeper as is Oduya. White and Salvador are signed long term. This trade was a depth move and can only help the team. Yeah it makes us even older, but only for two months.