Voros19's Offseason

Voros19

Forward

The 08-09 Devils had an above average offensive year spurred by breakout seasons from Parise and Zajac as well as Elias' renewal. Brian Rolston and Dainius Zubrus had disappointing seasons given their pay checks. Gionta, Langenbrunner, and Clarkson all had good seasons. Madden and Pandolfo played well below their 07-08 performances and should be on the outs.

UFA: Brian Gionta, John Madden, Bobby Holik, Mike Rupp, Brendan Shanahan

RFA: Travis Zajac, Pierre Leblond

Brian Gionta, as admirable as his playoff performance was, will be let go. John Madden can go either way, however he would have to take a big pay cut. I fear some team looking for a veteran presence in the middle will pay him $2M+. In that case, Madden had a good run but it's time to part ways. Holik is an obvious goner. Rupp will fight for a roster spot on another team. I would like to see Shanahan brought back on a cheap one year deal given his good defensive presence and occasional ability to pot a goal.

Travis Zajac will be re-signed. A multi-year contract would be great but the cap number will be higher than a one-year deal. In the end I think something along the lines of 2yr/6.0M works. PL3 will be re-upped with the minimum 10% increase.

Notable UFAs: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Martin Havlat, Mike Knuble, Petr Sykora, Mike Cammalleri, Maxim Afinogenov, Alex Tanguay, Erik Cole, Saku Koivu, Steve Sullivan, Nik Antropov, Robert Lang, Sergei Fedorov, Keith Tkachuk, Taylor Pyatt, Manny Malhotra, Samuel Pahlsson

With the assumption that Lou does not dabble in the RFA market, we can now look to unrestricted free agency to address New Jersey's needs - which are what, exactly? Well, I think most would agree that Zubrus is not an ideal top six center. He should be moved to the third line where his offensive shortcomings are masked. So, what to do about the second line center role? Many have suggested move Elias back to center, but I don't see the logic. Elias' best years - 00-01, 03-04, 05-06, and 08-09 were all spent at left wing. He's also a very good defensive left wing, however not so much at center. Henrik Sedin is out of the question, and beyond that the pickings at center are slim. Keith Tkachuk would essentially provide Elias with a more deft version of Zubrus, and could be had on a one or two year deal. Robert Lang, who's coming off a good season in Montreal, is an interesting option who would also bolster the powerplay. I'd prefer Tkachuk, but he will probably stay in St. Louis. New Jersey ends up signing Lang to a 1yr, 3.5M contract. In addition, the Devils re-sign Shanahan to a 1yr, $800k contract.

Parise ($3.2M) - Zajac ($3.0M) - Rolston ($5.0M)

Elias ($6.0M) - Lang ($3.5M) - Langenbrunner ($2.8M)

Halischuk ($875k) - Zubrus ($3.4M) - Clarkson ($838k)

Pandolfo ($2.5M) - Cormier ($800k) - Shanahan ($800k)

Leblond ($500k)

Cap charge: $33.313M

Defense

New Jersey had an up and down season defensively. Paul Martin emerged as a top 10 defensive defenseman in the game and Johnny Oduya proved that he is a legitimate puck-mover who can tend to his own zone. Colin White and Bryce Salvador were good at certain times, bad at others. Mottau is good for what he is, but be relegated to the #6 defender or better yet as the #7. Greene is way too soft. Havelid was below average in his brief stint.

UFA: Johnny Oduya, Niclas Havelid

RFA: Andy Greene

Johnny Oduya will be retained but at a steep price. The demand for good puck-movers is high, giving Oduya a generous 4yr/14.5M deal. Niclas Havelid has already signed overseas and would not have been a consideration anyway.

Andy Greene should be retained with the minimum 10% qualifier.

Notable UFAs: Scott Niedermayer, Mathieu Schneider, Rob Blake, Sergei Zubov, Jay Bouwmeester, Adrian Aucoin, Derek Morris, Mattias Ohlund, Jaroslav Spacek, Paul Mara, Mike Komisarek, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Francois Beauchemin, Jordan Leopold, Dennis Seidenberg.

Once again, we will assume that Lou does not pursue any RFAs. The Devils need a puck-mover, not another slow slug. Why would anyone want to sign Mike Komisarek to a long-term contract when we have Salvador and White locked up for three more seasons each? Bouwmeester is out of the question. Niedermayer on a one or two year send off contract is everyone's dream, but in reality he will retire or return to Anaheim for another season. Zubov would be a great sign but who can see him leaving Dallas? Schneider wouldn't be a bad idea on a cheaper one-year deal. Jaroslav Spacek has been a very solid defenseman for quite some time and would be a tremendous acquisition as he was Buffalo's best defenseman last year. A 3yr/12M deal would be a good fit for both parties.

In the mean time, I think the Devils will/should trade one of Salvador or White. I struggle to think who would be easier to trade since they both have their downsides (Salvador - age, White - eye). Their skill sets are utterly redundant, and they are eating up a lot of cap space. I predict Salvador is traded to a team lacking defensive presence and well below the cap, someone like Atlanta. Matt Corrente will make the team out of camp as the 6th defenseman.

Martin ($3.8M) - White ($3.0M)

Oduya ($3.5M) - Spacek ($4.0M)

Mottau ($742k) - Corrente ($850k)

Greene ($660k)

Cap charge: $16.552M

Goaltending

There's not terribly much to say here. Brodeur will be New Jersey's starter for the 15th season in a row. He had an okay 08-09 given his injury and up and down play. Scott Clemmensen was great, and as a result, will sign a seven figure contract with another NHL team. Kevin Weekes has been hurt far to often to justify a return as backup.

UFA: Kevin Weekes, Clemmensen

RFA: None

Weekes will not be re-signed, nor will Clemmensen.

Notable UFAs: Garon, Norrena, Johnson, Tellqvist, Conklin, Boucher, Sanford, Valiquette, Danis

Most of these guys are ubiquitous. Let's say Lou inks Fredrik Norrena to a 2yr/$1.2M contract.

Brodeur ($5.2M)

Norrena ($600k)

Cap Charge: $5.800M

Your 2009-2010 New Jersey Devils

Leblond ($500k)

Greene ($660k)

Brodeur ($5.20M)

Norrena ($600k)

$55.665M/$56.700M

Edited by Voros19

I still think we need a top 2 center from outside the organization. There aren't any nhl "ready" propects. Hopefully lou will give bergfors an honest shot this go round. Resign oduya. I agree wiht everyhting in reference to rupp, madden, white, shanahan, gionta (let them walk). I think Garon might be a better back up than Norrena.

I still think we need a top 2 center from outside the organization. There aren't any nhl "ready" propects. Hopefully lou will give bergfors an honest shot this go round. Resign oduya. I agree wiht everyhting in reference to rupp, madden, white, shanahan, gionta (let them walk). I think Garon might be a better back up than Norrena.

there are no top 2 centers outside the organization. there aren't many available after 2010-11 either.

re: robert lang - he looks like another malakhov to me. lest we forget, vladimir malakhov had a tremendous playoffs for the flyers (!) in 2004. lang had a great season, but his 17.8 shooting percentage isn't going to hold up around these parts. he also takes way too many penalties for a player who is soft - a lot of hooks, a lot of holds, a lot of what-have-yous. there's no guarantees he's 100% recovered from that injury. he's a stiff and everyone on the board will hate him immediately. that said, damn it all, he really is the best option. problem is there are too many teams in need of a center who are dumber than we are who would be willing to give him that 2nd year.

spacek we agree on but i'm not sure i'd pay him $4.0M. i definitely agree that salvador has got to go, i understand why he was brought in, but it's too much money for an average defensive defenseman, he's a great 'team' guy but he was not good in the 2nd half of the season.

Edited by Triumph

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Lang's career is done. He was already an old man playing over his head for Montreal and then he had his achilles tendon cut. Good night. I would love to see a guy like Arnot come back, but I say we should just focus on the defense for now.

Forward

The 08-09 Devils had an above average offensive year spurred by breakout seasons from Parise and Zajac as well as Elias' renewal. Brian Rolston and Dainius Zubrus had disappointing seasons given their pay checks. Gionta, Langenbrunner, and Clarkson all had good seasons. Madden and Pandolfo played well below their 07-08 performances and should be on the outs.

Brian Gionta, as admirable as his playoff performance was, will be let go. John Madden can go either way, however he would have to take a big pay cut. I fear some team looking for a veteran presence in the middle will pay him $2M+. In that case, Madden had a good run but it's time to part ways. Holik is an obvious goner. Rupp will fight for a roster spot on another team. I would like to see Shanahan brought back on a cheap one year deal given his good defensive presence and occasional ability to pot a goal.

Travis Zajac will be re-signed. A multi-year contract would be great but the cap number will be higher than a one-year deal. In the end I think something along the lines of 2yr/6.0M works. PL3 will be re-upped with the minimum 10% increase.

Notable UFAs: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Martin Havlat, Mike Knuble, Petr Sykora, Mike Cammalleri, Maxim Afinogenov, Alex Tanguay, Erik Cole, Saku Koivu, Steve Sullivan, Nik Antropov, Robert Lang, Sergei Fedorov, Keith Tkachuk, Taylor Pyatt, Manny Malhotra, Samuel Pahlsson

With the assumption that Lou does not dabble in the RFA market, we can now look to unrestricted free agency to address New Jersey's needs - which are what, exactly? Well, I think most would agree that Zubrus is not an ideal top six center. He should be moved to the third line where his offensive shortcomings are masked. So, what to do about the second line center role? Many have suggested move Elias back to center, but I don't see the logic. Elias' best years - 00-01, 03-04, 05-06, and 08-09 were all spent at left wing. He's also a very good defensive left wing, however not so much at center. Henrik Sedin is out of the question, and beyond that the pickings at center are slim. Keith Tkachuk would essentially provide Elias with a more deft version of Zubrus, and could be had on a one or two year deal. Robert Lang, who's coming off a good season in Montreal, is an interesting option who would also bolster the powerplay. I'd prefer Tkachuk, but he will probably stay in St. Louis. New Jersey ends up signing Lang to a 1yr, 3.5M contract. In addition, the Devils re-sign Shanahan to a 1yr, $800k contract.

Leblond ($500k)

Defense

New Jersey had an up and down season defensively. Paul Martin emerged as a top 10 defensive defenseman in the game and Johnny Oduya proved that he is a legitimate puck-mover who can tend to his own zone. Colin White and Bryce Salvador were good at certain times, bad at others. Mottau is good for what he is, but be relegated to the #6 defender or better yet as the #7. Greene is way too soft. Havelid was below average in his brief stint.

Johnny Oduya will be retained but at a steep price. The demand for good puck-movers is high, giving Oduya a generous 4yr/14.5M deal. Niclas Havelid has already signed overseas and would not have been a consideration anyway.

Notable UFAs: Scott Niedermayer, Mathieu Schneider, Rob Blake, Sergei Zubov, Jay Bouwmeester, Adrian Aucoin, Derek Morris, Mattias Ohlund, Jaroslav Spacek, Paul Mara, Mike Komisarek, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Francois Beauchemin, Jordan Leopold, Dennis Seidenberg.

Once again, we will assume that Lou does not pursue any RFAs. The Devils need a puck-mover, not another slow slug. Why would anyone want to sign Mike Komisarek to a long-term contract when we have Salvador and White locked up for three more seasons each? Bouwmeester is out of the question. Niedermayer on a one or two year send off contract is everyone's dream, but in reality he will retire or return to Anaheim for another season. Zubov would be a great sign but who can see him leaving Dallas? Schneider wouldn't be a bad idea on a cheaper one-year deal. Jaroslav Spacek has been a very solid defenseman for quite some time and would be a tremendous acquisition as he was Buffalo's best defenseman last year. A 3yr/12M deal would be a good fit for both parties.

In the mean time, I think the Devils will/should trade one of Salvador or White. I struggle to think who would be easier to trade since they both have their downsides (Salvador - age, White - eye). Their skill sets are utterly redundant, and they are eating up a lot of cap space. I predict Salvador is traded to a team lacking defensive presence and well below the cap, someone like Atlanta. Matt Corrente will make the team out of camp as the 6th defenseman.

Greene ($660k)

Goaltending

There's not terribly much to say here. Brodeur will be New Jersey's starter for the 15th season in a row. He had an okay 08-09 given his injury and up and down play. Scott Clemmensen was great, and as a result, will sign a seven figure contract with another NHL team. Kevin Weekes has been hurt far to often to justify a return as backup.

Notable UFAs: Garon, Norrena, Johnson, Tellqvist, Conklin, Boucher, Sanford, Valiquette, Danis

Most of these guys are ubiquitous. Let's say Lou inks Fredrik Norrena to a 2yr/$1.2M contract.

Brodeur ($5.2M)

Norrena ($600k)

Leblond ($500k)

Greene ($660k)

Brodeur ($5.20M)

Norrena ($600k)

$55.665M/$56.700M

Mostly agree. I don't feel strongly about the signings, but I see where you're coming from, and wouldn't object to any of them.

I would like Bergfors to get a chance on the 2nd line, or at least some PP minutes. He should get a chance to prove himself.

I like Pelley over Cormier. I think he's NHL ready. I'm not sure what effect that would have on the cap.

If they can't keep Shanny, I'd consider holding onto Rupp. He's not nearly as good, but he's a decent veteran role player who will come cheap.

I'd also like to give Greene a chance to play with White. He's fast enough to make up for White (not saying Martin isn't at all, but still want him somewhere else), and White's tough enough to compensate for Greene. Greene played his best hockey when he was paired with White before the injury. More importantly, I think Motts can be a good 7th dman, ready to go, but okay with sitting for awhile. Greene's never been comfortable sitting and then coming back. He still has a lot of upside. He's never put it together for a long stretch, but he's tantalizing. Maybe he's a bust, but I'd like to give him the best chance to succeed for at least the beginning of the season.

Forward

Leblond ($500k)

Defense

Greene ($660k)

Goaltending

Brodeur ($5.2M)

Norrena ($600k)

Leblond ($500k)

Greene ($660k)

Brodeur ($5.20M)

Norrena ($600k)

$55.665M/$56.700M

Mostly agree. I don't feel strongly about the signings, but I see where you're coming from, and wouldn't object to any of them.

I would like Bergfors to get a chance on the 2nd line, or at least some PP minutes. He should get a chance to prove himself.

I like Pelley over Cormier. I think he's NHL ready. I'm not sure what effect that would have on the cap.

If they can't keep Shanny, I'd consider holding onto Rupp. He's not nearly as good, but he's a decent veteran role player who will come cheap.

I'd also like to give Greene a chance to play with White. He's fast enough to make up for White (not saying Martin isn't at all, but still want him somewhere else), and White's tough enough to compensate for Greene. Greene played his best hockey when he was paired with White before the injury. More importantly, I think Motts can be a good 7th dman, ready to go, but okay with sitting for awhile. Greene's never been comfortable sitting and then coming back. He still has a lot of upside. He's never put it together for a long stretch, but he's tantalizing. Maybe he's a bust, but I'd like to give him the best chance to succeed for at least the beginning of the season.

Forward

Leblond ($500k)

Defense

Greene ($660k)

Goaltending

Brodeur ($5.2M)

Norrena ($600k)

Leblond ($500k)

Greene ($660k)

Brodeur ($5.20M)

Norrena ($600k)

$55.665M/$56.700M

Forward

Leblond ($500k)

Defense

Greene ($660k)

Goaltending

Brodeur ($5.2M)

Norrena ($600k)

Leblond ($500k)

Greene ($660k)

Brodeur ($5.20M)

Norrena ($600k)

$55.665M/$56.700M

lol a triple post in one post! nice :P

I'm going to applaud you right off thats a pretty good analysis. This is the first offseason where I'm kind of hoping we let the kids from Lowell come up and play the chunk of the season and not make ANY signings for FAs. Maybe a Niedermayer type for 1 year only at D or 2nd line center until Cormier is ready in 2 or 3 years.

We'll see but I have a bad feeling about next year...

I still feel a player like Havlat playing alongside elias and zubrus, can overshaddow zubrus's faults. Really he would just have to make room for them.

Probably, but Havlat will be looking at a 3yr deal in the range of $5-6M per year.

Arnott would be great, but let's be realistic.

Lang has a lot of short-comings but there are few complete players on the market. My idea was to have his defensive short-comings masked by two responsible players in Elias and Langenbrunner.

I'm torn on Bergfors. He deserves a shot but it seems like Sutter and Lou have something against him.

Probably, but Havlat will be looking at a 3yr deal in the range of $5-6M per year.

Lang has a lot of short-comings but there are few complete players on the market. My idea was to have his defensive short-comings masked by two responsible players in Elias and Langenbrunner.

I'm torn on Bergfors. He deserves a shot but it seems like Sutter and Lou have something against him.

Great, now I want Lang, just to hear how Doc calls the Elias/Lang/Langenbrunner line.

And the Greene/White defensive pairing.

it's not just his defense - it's his whole game.

i disagree here. bergfors won the job when langenbrunner was hurt at the beginning of last season, but got hurt one game in. his minor league statistics are decidedly unimpressive until this past season. he didn't play particularly well at the nhl level when given a chance. regardless, i definitely think the devils are going to give him every chance to succeed this coming season.

White is not the problem. He is good at what he does, most of the time. He just needs to be play with a smooth skating puck mover.

One of the reasons I haven't been so fond of Sutter is, why the fvck did he switch from (Martin - Salvador) (Oduya - White) as the top 4 to (Martin - Oduya) (White - Mottau)? Martin and Oduya can't play together because it holds the rest of the defense back. Nobody else can move the puck.

Thinking about it now, it was the fore shadowing of the Madden line playing a lot more then they should have.

I'm just curious....

And when Havlat gets hurt, turns in a Rolstonesque 08-09 season for 5/6M will this board be looking to trade him or be proclaiming Lou's days are finally at an end?

For those bashing Colin White:

1.) He plays on the number 1 PK unit.

2.) He played against opponents top lines and was still +18

3.) He only had 46 PIM last year

4.) Had over 100 hits and bloacked shots.

What more do you want from him?

Watch the Carolina series and about 85% of his career.

He will never be able to control his temper, and his bonehead idea to go run Chad LaRose on Staal's winner with 30 seconds left is just another example of his inability to be smart. After one of the other goals that game as well, Mottau and Brodeur were conversing with him in a manner basically asking "Where the fvck were you?" Only Scott Niedermayer as a D partner can make up for his mistakes. Unfortunately he's long gone.

And to answer your question, I want NOTHING more from him. In fact I want a lot less from him. I want Brent and especially Lou to realize he is not capable of being #1 PK Unit. Not capable of playing against top lines. He's borderline 3rd pairing. Have him play against some scrubs that also have a short fuse so maybe when he's on his way to the penalty box for running someone, that person will turn out and whack him so the penalties offset.

lol a triple post in one post! nice :P

I'm going to applaud you right off thats a pretty good analysis. This is the first offseason where I'm kind of hoping we let the kids from Lowell come up and play the chunk of the season and not make ANY signings for FAs. Maybe a Niedermayer type for 1 year only at D or 2nd line center until Cormier is ready in 2 or 3 years.

We'll see but I have a bad feeling about next year...

Sorry, the computer at work is really crap, totally didnt know i was doing that.

Not only did mouse quote the entire long message (a no-no!!), he hada quadruple post!! I applaud the effort.

Yeah, the computer half froze when I was finishing up, but before I could cut some of the quote. I really didn't think it had submitted.

The hate Colin White gets is unbelievable and crazy. The guy is good.

Agreed. Motts is too slow to play with him, and the Canes exploited the pairing, but that's Sutter's fault, not the players'.

White is not the problem. He is good at what he does, most of the time. He just needs to be play with a smooth skating puck mover.

One of the reasons I haven't been so fond of Sutter is, why the fvck did he switch from (Martin - Salvador) (Oduya - White) as the top 4 to (Martin - Oduya) (White - Mottau)? Martin and Oduya can't play together because it holds the rest of the defense back. Nobody else can move the puck.

Thinking about it now, it was the fore shadowing of the Madden line playing a lot more then they should have.

+1

I have ALWAYS hated when White and Mottau get paired up together. Oduya-White makes much more sense, and is a LOT more effective.

White is a solid NHL defensemen. That is all. Solid. Makes some mistakes......sure. Who doesn't? You guys can protect King Marty all you want, but the last goal was soft. Period. Bad play or not, that one should be stopped by the GREATEST GOALIE EVER. I'm not bashing Marty, but I am not afraid to say he should have stopped a shot, if I think that he should have.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Edited by KC Devil