Patrick Marleau

HellOnICE

Everyone is quick to trade draft picks and prospects... well the Devils farm system SUCKS. So why would you trade the only good prospects you have OR the draft picks to try to regroup the farm? It doesn't make sense.

Because it's worked for Lou in the past, so they don't see anything wrong with trying it again, damn the consequences.

Plus, trading "a prospect" is a lot easier than making the painful decision of which roster player to cut.

Calm down you. Haha...

I try to represent the wishful thinking side plus the logical side.

Like I pointed out in my post before... there may be a few ways to actually get a deal like this done but it would most likely leave the Devils short-handed roster-wise.

Everyone is quick to trade draft picks and prospects... well the Devils farm system SUCKS. So why would you trade the only good prospects you have OR the draft picks to try to regroup the farm? It doesn't make sense.

Giving up roster players also puts the Devs in a short-handed position. The Sharks aren't going to take Pandolfo. Don't forget, they need to win as well.

Also, trades aren't as simple as people here make them out to be. Some posters here and most hockey fans actually treat trades like they are exchanging hockey cards.

A trade involves a huge financial aspect including uprooting someone and their family and sending them (in this case) across the country to adapt to a new lifestyle.

:P

The problem being the Devils lack any top end/impact young players coming up, it is near impossible to get a player like Marleau in a trade or for any top 6 forward, period. It also hurts because they are not stacked in any particular position youth/talent wise to make a trade. The sparse skilled young players the Devils have that can possibly contribute *now* they need to keep and give a real chance to night in and night out. It's a whole lot of wishful thinking with this group. Today's Devils fans overvalue this team's prospects unlike anything i've ever seen in my 25 years following this team.

As far as uprooting family and adapting to a new lifestyle, this is a part of being a pro athlete and it goes with the territory. If a player is lucky enough to have earned a no movement clause, then more power to him. For the rest, it's part of the job. I guess i am not one to feel sorry for famous multi-millionaire athletes, anyway :P

:P

The problem being the Devils lack any top end/impact young players coming up, it is near impossible to get a player like Marleau in a trade or for any top 6 forward, period. It also hurts because they are not stacked in any particular position youth/talent wise to make a trade. The sparse skilled young players the Devils have that can possibly contribute *now* they need to keep and give a real chance to night in and night out. It's a whole lot of wishful thinking with this group. Today's Devils fans overvalue this team's prospects unlike anything i've ever seen in my 25 years following this team.

As far as uprooting family and adapting to a new lifestyle, this is a part of being a pro athlete and it goes with the territory. If a player is lucky enough to have earned a no movement clause, then more power to him. For the rest, it's part of the job. I guess i am not one to feel sorry for famous multi-millionaire athletes, anyway :P

I feel like hockey players are much more human than any other pro sport so I feel for them with their families. I mean Jamie and I drove by Rolston's house on Friday and there he was taking in groceries out of his Minnesota plated Escalade with his kids... I just thought of having to have his kids jump into the car and drive that awful trip to New Jersey. Sure I don't really feel for Rolston but that's a tough thing on a wife and kids.

That being said, Bergfors and Tedenby need to get pushed to the big club ASAP.

If Rolston has a good year however, if his ankle is feeling better, then there's really no reason to trade for a center. But having a third line of Zubrus-Rolston-Clarkson is very intriguing.

its more the NHL 2009 GM in everyone.........

Marleau could be a nice 2nd line center, but why? What has he done in SJ? If he is so great why does San Jose want to dump him?

No thanks and probably wont happen.

He's their Captain for one and their all time leading scorer. For two, aside from one year, he's been a regular 30 goals (- that one year), minimum 30 assists (every year) since the lockout.

These players don't grow on trees. We need a player like Marleau with his skill set.

He's their Captain for one and their all time leading scorer. For two, aside from one year, he's been a regular 30 goals (- that one year), minimum 30 assists (every year) since the lockout.

These players don't grow on trees. We need a player like Marleau with his skill set.

It would be great to have him but we will most likely be outbid.

Any possible trade or UFA signing is going to look genius when Rolston has a monster season. I think a healthy year this year with Rolston, Elias, and Parise with 30+ goals, and Zajac and a few others with 20+ goals will just look like the team improved, although it's just a healthier team with more comfort and chemistry. We never lacked offense, we just didn't click in time for playoffs. Defense needs a new physical addition and we should be fine for a deep run.

I doubt they are gonna trade him, i live 20 mins from San Jose, and most of the fans and the press are getting to the point where they don't want a major shake up anymore ( after the first round exit everyone was screaming for the whole team to be traded)

I would love to see him as devil, we really need a solid center.

I feel like hockey players are much more human than any other pro sport so I feel for them with their families. I mean Jamie and I drove by Rolston's house on Friday and there he was taking in groceries out of his Minnesota plated Escalade with his kids... I just thought of having to have his kids jump into the car and drive that awful trip to New Jersey. Sure I don't really feel for Rolston but that's a tough thing on a wife and kids.

FWIW, i don't think they made that drive from Minnesotta. He's been around all summer and I know they had a big party at their house this weekend so maybe it was just a grocery run to Shop Rite!

FWIW, i don't think they made that drive from Minnesotta. He's been around all summer and I know they had a big party at their house this weekend so maybe it was just a grocery run to Shop Rite!

Haha I was talking about when he was signed last summer. They made the drive from Minny to NJ. He's got the Escalade with Minny plates and the Lincoln Nav with Jersey plates. But yeah he had that thing filled to the brim with groceries. I guess for their party since I saw him on Friday.

Marleau isn't coming on a salary dump because if he was, plenty of teams would be lining up for that. He will cost a player, or two that we are not willing to give up.

Even Los Angeles may be up for this, they could give more than New Jersey can with less of an impact to their team but more of a logical move for the both San Jose and the Kings. I'm not saying they will be in the chase of Marleau but as a pure example, they have more pieces and capspace to make a nice showing for him.

Out of all of the players available, the Devils will probably not bait for any of them. No one really fits the team how the team in the direction theyre going in addition to the free agency of Parise in two years and Martin next offseason on the horizon. Protect your own assets before you go chewing at the line.

besides - the devils do NOT need someone for the top 6. they have 8 guys capable of handling top 6 duties:

zajac

parise

langenbrunner

elias

rolston

zubrus

bergfors

clarkson (could do it if necessary)

The top four guys on this list you are definitely right about, but forcing the bottom four into the top 6 would be a problem. We don't know how age and the high ankle sprain will affect Rolston, and so it would be best to not rely on him if possible. With Zubrus, he is way too inconsistent; if he forechecks to the best of his ability, he would be an asset to the top 6. However, if he refuses to forecheck agressively, a refusal he makes quite often, he would be useless in the top 6. Bergfors is a player who many are very hopeful about, but it's too early to peg him as a top 6 NHL player. Lastly, I think Clarkson will just slow down whichever of the top two lines he is playing on because of his bad skating.

Overall, I know we obviously can't acquire a perfect lineup, but pushing those bottom four guys into the top 6 would be asking for disaster. While the cap situation we are in may force us to do, I think it is important that we attempt to seek alternatives this summer.

i know some of the peple on the board know that cap better me, so i am wondering if we did trade for marleau, i think he comes with a 7 million cap hit, would we be able to have him, resign some players and maybe sign a free agent or two? or would his price tag be too much for us

i know some of the peple on the board know that cap better me, so i am wondering if we did trade for marleau, i think he comes with a 7 million cap hit, would we be able to have him, resign some players and maybe sign a free agent or two? or would his price tag be too much for us

The Devils are locked up with 40M and with the arrival of Marleau's 6.3M cap hit, the Devils will have 10M left to re-sign key players such as Oduya and Zajac (unless we dealt Zajac for Marleau) while the cap must stay at the 56.3M.

Remember the talk about how San Jose might be interested in Madden earlier in the year? What if they sign Madden, and we see how inclined they are to take Pandolfo to play with his old friend... so maybe Pandolfo+1st --> Marleau ?

Pandolfo + 1st for Marleau. Really now? Jay Pandolfo, who has negative value, and a late 1st for a first line center who is a consistent 30 goal, 70-80 point player.

There's a huge difference between trading FOR someone, and trading with a team that's trading that certain someone away. They want to rid themselves of a player; making obscene demands for such a player would be unwise.

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between obscene demands and Pandolfo & a 1st. I know the Sharks are trying to change the culture of their franchise and all to get over the hump, but becoming NJ West is probably not in their plans.

The thought of a Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner and Elias/Marleau/Gionta (or Rolston or whomever) top two lines is so crazy awesome, however. Sooooo crazy awesome. Which is probably why it'll never happen.

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between obscene demands and Pandolfo & a 1st. I know the Sharks are trying to change the culture of their franchise and all to get over the hump, but becoming NJ West is probably not in their plans.

The thought of a Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner and Elias/Marleau/Gionta (or Rolston or whomever) top two lines is so crazy awesome, however. Sooooo crazy awesome. Which is probably why it'll never happen.

Because of cap issues I think it'll have to be Gionta OR Marleau.

Because of cap issues I think it'll have to be Gionta OR Marleau.

Yeah, probably. Still, Elias/Marleau/Rolston? We'd still have a sick top two lines, and a respectable third and fourth.

Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner

Elias/Marleau/Rolston

Shanhan/Zubrus/Bergfors

Leblond/Rupp/Clarkson

That's almost wet dream level of balanced awesomeness right there. Which is why I refuse to let myself think it's even remotely possible.

Actually, acquire Valtteri Filppula would be even better. Since the Wings are tied up with 53M for next season with so many FA to take care of, maybe the Devils may have a chance to swing a deal. Furthermore, the Wings still able to form two scoring lines with Pavel, Hank, Holmstrom, Franzen, Cleary and Hudler.

Edited by Devil Fan