Are the NJ Devils better this year?

msweet

i love the talk of players past from the media. they never get any praise when they play here but all of a sudden turn into the superstars that we are fools to let go. i guess when a team is playoff bound from day 1, you have to come up with some crazy stories to make up for... devils will make the playoffs this year regardless of whom they brought or whom they fired.

ps. this is obviously not directed at the blog. i enjoyed the assessment, sounds about right. experienced coach will take the always playoff bound team deep into the second season.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

Well our defense if just as good if not better(more experience) than last season, that can only be a good thing since we had one of the top rated D's in the league. Our offense probably dropped off a bit but I don't think it will be too significant since Clarkson and Rolston should have better years this time around. Also from the looks of preseason our Power Play should be substantially better which is awesome since it was a joke last year and hopefully our PK is better this year now that we have a full season of Shanny and we get to see what Rolston is all about. I'm not too worried about this season.

Your blog isn't formatting properly. The center text goes off the border and there's no horizontal scroll bar, the only way to read everything is to highlight the text to get it to scroll. Too annoying to bother with, so I copy/pasted it into word.

Oughta look into that.

Your blog isn't formatting properly. The center text goes off the border and there's no horizontal scroll bar, the only way to read everything is to highlight the text to get it to scroll. Too annoying to bother with, so I copy/pasted it into word.

Oughta look into that.

I just looked at in IE8 and Firefox and it looks perfect?

Is this team better? It's kind of hard to say, but I'll lean toward no. A lot could depend on a Brian Rolston rebound, Elias' health, the emergence of a young player such as Bergfors or Halischuk and improvement by John Oduya and Paul Martin offensively. There's too many ifs to make this team better than a year ago.

Nice to have Brodeur though ... that's a given.

Is this team better? It's kind of hard to say, but I'll lean toward no. A lot could depend on a Brian Rolston rebound, Elias' health, the emergence of a young player such as Bergfors or Halischuk and improvement by John Oduya and Paul Martin offensively. There's too many ifs to make this team better than a year ago.

Nice to have Brodeur though ... that's a given.

Clearly my analysis relies on Rolston being a legit 2 line LW and Bergfors being a real NHLer

And the scary thing to me is that unless Parise repeats, Elias plays like the top 10 forward he is and Brodeur continues as before...we may not make the playoffs.

Here is my take:

Coaching is better during the season and playoffs.

Goal tending is the same for the season but Marty will be tired by the playoffs because of the Olympic and he desire to get a gold.

Defense is better and wiser this season

Offense:

1st line is the same but will have much more pressure on them by both in house and competitors.

2nd line is weaker because of Elias and Roloston as a ?? mark and Gio gone and his replacement new.

3rd line the same if Zubrus is center with Shanny and Clarkie.

4th line is weaker

PK will be better

PP will be better

Because of the 2nd and 4th line the overall offense will be the same.

So overall the team will be slightly better but then last years team was out in round one I expect the same this playoff season.

The question is who will Lou get to strengthen the team during the season for the playoffs?

Edited by LucifersDog

Well our defense if just as good if not better(more experience) than last season, that can only be a good thing since we had one of the top rated D's in the league. Our offense probably dropped off a bit but I don't think it will be too significant since Clarkson and Rolston should have better years this time around. Also from the looks of preseason our Power Play should be substantially better which is awesome since it was a joke last year and hopefully our PK is better this year now that we have a full season of Shanny and we get to see what Rolston is all about. I'm not too worried about this season.

+1 I guess that we may also see some guys like Bergors surprise us during the season.

i have been wondering this for a bit now. only seen the two games on t.v., but bergsfor has impressed. he has been all over the puck in the offensive zone. i am excited about the young guys. i figure once elias gets back there will only be room for two offensive rookies. havnt really seen much of peters but the buzz has been leaning toward leblond. what i am worried abiut is the defense. martin has got to be stronger and more physical to lead this D. i like the size of fraser, but have not really seen much of his play. murphy produces points if, and its a big if, he stays healthy. he seems fragile. the D was successful last season, but from alot of the news reports it sounds like alot of the league are coming back in better shape than ever. it means fast, strong offense. can the devils D keep up? they arent the most physical as a defensive group. believe it or not even after the loss of some long time devil offensive players its the D that has me worried this year, and with the devils this is not a normal feeling. i just hope lou does not go shopping for anymore aging players. if you are going to spend the 3 mill or so left.. younger, bigger, faster would be a smart move in my eyes.

i have been wondering this for a bit now. only seen the two games on t.v., but bergsfor has impressed. he has been all over the puck in the offensive zone. i am excited about the young guys. i figure once elias gets back there will only be room for two offensive rookies. havnt really seen much of peters but the buzz has been leaning toward leblond. what i am worried abiut is the defense. martin has got to be stronger and more physical to lead this D. i like the size of fraser, but have not really seen much of his play. murphy produces points if, and its a big if, he stays healthy. he seems fragile. the D was successful last season, but from alot of the news reports it sounds like alot of the league are coming back in better shape than ever. it means fast, strong offense. can the devils D keep up? they arent the most physical as a defensive group. believe it or not even after the loss of some long time devil offensive players its the D that has me worried this year, and with the devils this is not a normal feeling. i just hope lou does not go shopping for anymore aging players. if you are going to spend the 3 mill or so left.. younger, bigger, faster would be a smart move in my eyes.

Oduya's been looking a little more physical. That will help bail Martin, whose an elite player I don't see changing, out. If those guys get split up, the d improves.

My d pairings:

Martin Salvador

Oduya White

Motts Murphy

of course their not better this year

but in the long run this is a classic case of addition by subtraction, by letting some of the older guys go they give rise to hopefully a key star from the minors. hey guys Parise and Brodeur didnt fall off from a tree and piss excellence rite away, they came up the exact same way.

i smell a 3-7 finish in Ze conference, (NEVER count out Jersey in the division conversation)

Lemaire makes the special teams better (the Wild ranked top 10 in both PK and PP despite Gaborik had played 23 games).

The only concern I have is the over-30 veterans. Langenbrunner posted his best totals last season and I don't think he can duplicate that success again. Elias is injured and which Elias will show up?? The one we saw last season or the one who struggled under Sutter? Rolston, too, but he won't do worst than last season and Shanahan is a wild card. Zubrus, despite disappointing, still able to produce more points in the 2nd Devil year than the first. Hopefully, he can generate more points. At last, I hope those veterans prove my point wrong that they can make an impact.