Devils needed Shanahan

Rock

not so sure about that about keeping Shanahan. The youth movement is on and looking forward to seeing Bergfors, Halischuk, Murphy and Pikkaranen in the line up this season. Shanahan could always comeback during the season if needed unless he is traded, signs on with another team or retires from the game.

TG is correct we needed Shanahan. His leadership. On the PP.... PK.... Shanahan is a proven veteran who know how to win and couldve guided the young kids some more. Bergfors said it himself he was learning lots from him during the preseason..... lets hope lemaire and Lou are correct and the kids are ready and they play well this season. I hope Shanahan stays with the team and helps with the coaches.

if Shanahan wasn't going to be able to play all the games and wasn't going to score that much (like last year) why not just give the kids a chance instead. (As long as they're not as bad as somebody like Andreas Salamonsson we should be fine)

Ya but this is what irks me about this right now, and I know it's only the first game but, the only kid in right now is bergfors. Halischuk was sat for pandolfo in the spot that Shanahan was penciled in for. So if it really was this "youth movement" I don't get how pando in for shanahan is a major upgrade.

Well assuming the practice lines are what we will be seeing tonight you would like to think that both pl3 and Peters wont be in the lineup together on a consistent basis. With Elias being out Pandolfo without question has a spot on the roster. Lemaire probably just wants to go with a little extra muscle and experience tonight, although it looks like tonight is shaping up to be a rough night offensively. We'll see I guess

Come April Shanny will look a lot better than Pikkarainen.

Well we don't know that but the comparison isn't a good one anyway, I think. The question is would Shanny look better than Halischuk, Zharlov, or Bergfors? Those are the guys that would lose minutes to Shanny. Maybe Pikk as well, we'll have to see how the lines shake out.

Shanny didn't look good "fresh", I can't imagine what he'll look like after a season wears him down. Wasn't there a listing somewhere that the Devils were going to sit Shanny a lot to keep him fresh and that was one thing Shanny wasn't happy with? So you could keep Shanny at his already slow speed, rest him, and he'd be unhappy, or play him all year and have him slower and more worn out than he already looked now when the year is ending.

How much more leadership do we need?

This team doesn't need "leadership", we have Langs, MB, Elias, Rolston, White, and a 60-something year old coach to boot. What is another 40-year old going to bring to that?

We tried the all-leaders vet team last year - remember what happened?

These younglings will finally have the hunger and fresh legs to carry us once we hit the usual late-season lethargy in NJ.

And guys, RELAX, they might not all score hat tricks in their first game. Give them some time to develop before you start the "Shanny would have......" idiot posts.

Look at the playoff finalists: Abdilcator, Leino, Kennedy, Ryan - all those kids made a difference - where were ours?

Losing Shanny - you'll get over it - its a non issue.

since january 1 of 2008, here are shanahan's stats (playoffs and regular season):

85 gp 17 g 22 a 39 p -7 55 PIM

shanahan had 4 minutes per game on the power play in 2007-08 with the rangers. 3 minutes per game in the playoffs.

for new jersey, he got 2:30 on the PP a game, both in the regular season and playoffs.

the more i look at the numbers, the more i like this move. the devils might be losing something, but if they are it's probably not much, and they stand to gain a fair amount. i'd be shocked if niclas bergfors couldn't put up similar numbers over that same time in the same role as shanahan. and even if not, shanahan is aging and probably couldn't put up those numbers anymore anyway.

Edited by Triumph

Well we don't know that but the comparison isn't a good one anyway, I think. The question is would Shanny look better than Halischuk, Zharlov, or Bergfors? Those are the guys that would lose minutes to Shanny. Maybe Pikk as well, we'll have to see how the lines shake out.

Halischuk isn't even playing in the first game of the season. Shanny isn't here to blame for that. If we can't trust the kids against the Flyers or the Ranger then why the hell are they even up? Bergfors would have played with Shanny so he wouldn't have taken minutes from him and Zharkov is only getting called up if someone gets injured. That just leaves Pikkrainen. I don't know what Lemaire and Lou see in this guy but I hope he's good. If he's not, I'm sure gonna be very vocal about him.

Halischuk isn't even playing in the first game of the season. Shanny isn't here to blame for that. If we can't trust the kids against the Flyers or the Ranger then why the hell are they even up? Bergfors would have played with Shanny so he wouldn't have taken minutes from him and Zharkov is only getting called up if someone gets injured. That just leaves Pikkrainen. I don't know what Lemaire and Lou see in this guy but I hope he's good. If he's not, I'm sure gonna be very vocal about him.

Halischuk might play tonight still. We're not going to base the whole season of lineups on tonight. Philly is an abnormally tough team so it looks like the Devils are waiting to see how many tough guys the Flyers play before deciding to go with 1 or 2 tough guys themselves.

Look I agree with all of this No-Shanny analysis.. it makes logical sense

Bergfors will put up better number I do believe.... but there's more to it...Shanny was not taking Bergfor's spot... he's taking Pikky's spot or Halischuk's

Playoff game... tied... late 3rd period... we have the power play. I want Shanny not Pikkarainen. We should have found 12 TOI for him a game.

Playoff game... tied... late 3rd period... we have the power play. I want Shanny not Pikkarainen. We should have found 12 TOI for him a game.

Shanny sure didn't help the PP last year after playing a half season, so imagine him being a year old, playing a full season, then imagine what he'll do.

Shooting percentage is a fickle thing but Shanny is at 10-9-8 the last 3 years. So perhaps he's shooting too much because he still has "that shot" but he is unable to get into good enough positions to utilize his shot but he isn't playing that way.

Halischuk might play tonight still. We're not going to base the whole season of lineups on tonight. Philly is an abnormally tough team so it looks like the Devils are waiting to see how many tough guys the Flyers play before deciding to go with 1 or 2 tough guys themselves.

I hope he does cause we have a better chance of him scoring a goal than PL3 or Peters.

please, for the love of god, don't let me read another line about how much we needed shanny's leadership. we have plenty of that on the devils. i'm not disrespecting shanny, but if he wasn't ready to accept 4th line minutes and a reduction in PP time, then we didn't have room for him.

when i read about our sudden loss in "leadership", i basically see someone admitting that what he could give us on the ice wasn't going to be as important as what he could give us off the ice. and right now, i'd much rather see what these kids can do for us since they are our future, and i wasn't totally convinced that over an entire season, shanny was going to help us. i see this as more of a reward to halischuk than a slight to shanny. losing him does not doom our season. and if there's an injury, i'd like to see zharkov come up.

and if our youngsters show us, over the course of the season, that they aren't ready, i do believe lou will make a move to improve the team. i just don't believe that shanny is the answer and i don't see his leaving the team as really all that significant.

Look I agree with all of this No-Shanny analysis.. it makes logical sense

Bergfors will put up better number I do believe.... but there's more to it...Shanny was not taking Bergfor's spot... he's taking Pikky's spot or Halischuk's

he was taking a combination of pikkarainen/halischuk/pandolfo/r. niedermayer/zharkov's spot. but when elias comes back, i think clarkson gets dropped to the 2nd PP and who goes from the 2nd PP? probably bergfors.

you don't find a guy 12 minutes of ice time just on the off-chance that he is very slightly better than someone else in a situation that rarely comes up. would i want shanahan there? sure, i guess i would. but shanahan is not good at even strength, and i'm not even sure he's good on the power play or penalty kill anymore either. shanahan has 6 power play goals and 5 power play assists over that stretch of time. which sounds pretty good, except when you consider that he got something like 3 minutes of power play time averaged over the whole time, so that's 255 minutes, 6 PP goals, 5 pp assists. 255 minutes is what a decent forward plays in even strength + power play probably over the course of 17 games. it's just not that good, not good enough.

i envisioned a scenario a week or so ago where shanny retires 20 or so games into the season like andreychuk or brett hull or something - this is much, much better.

Edited by Triumph

Except that if Halischuk doesn't play tonight there's no way in the world he's going to play when Elias and Pikk (who's basically been guaranteed a spot in the top nine) get back. So it is more or less Pikk for Shanny.

Fact, we don't exactly know what Pikk is. I doubt any of us have ever seen him in a game (at least recently) other than the one lousy preseason game he played this year. This guy's a mystery even by Devils standards. Even if he does bust, the Devils can always promote or get someone else with similar-better production to an old Shanny.

The only place you can make a case we miss him is in the room, and that's hard to quantify since the team was rolling last year before he ever got here.

Except that if Halischuk doesn't play tonight there's no way in the world he's going to play when Elias and Pikk (who's basically been guaranteed a spot in the top nine) get back. So it is more or less Pikk for Shanny.

That's not true at all. So Lemaire is sitting there saying, "Whomever I play today is who will play the rest of the year. I will never re-evaluate the roster or change who plays based on the opponent"