Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see this happening for New Jersey. It will have to be a Rangers event -- Devils suck hind teet in this league -- I'd wager on an Isles Rangers match up before this to be frank...

As little TV appeal as the Devils may have, the Isles have even less. They have two Versus games this year (both in Philly) whereas the Devils have six (four road, two home, against Philly 2x, Rags 2x, Buffalo and Boston). The most telling sign, however, may be that neither the Devils nor Islanders have any NBC games this year.

If there's gonna be a local Winter Classic, it's more likely to be Rags/Devs than Rags/Isles. The real question is: Does the NHL/NBC want a Winter Classic featuring two NY-Metro teams? I think they'd rather tap two markets for a game, rather than just one. Which is why I'll say again that I think the Devils' best shot at getting into one of these is as the road team. It's not necessarily a good shot, but it's better than their chances of sharing the stage with the Rags.

The Devils will definitely be up for consideration.

While our home attendance stats are pretty pathetic for a top flight team.. (hey, i'm part to blame, I work late), the Devils annually rank near the top for merchandise sales, and quite tellingly, away game attendance. Its why Forbes ranked this team so high, secondary sales are astronomical.

I definitely think the NHL would consider NJ before a team like Dallas. The respect the Devils command is definitely a draw at any arena. Look how many sellouts there are when the Devils come to town as a visitor. I'd say its just bad luck that we are sandwiched between Philly and NY, because the majority of the devils fans look like they are outside the immediate metro area(s).

One last thing to note, with Yzerman, Sakic, and other notables having left the game, Marty is easily the 3rd most popular player in the league behind Sid and AO. He's a bonafide draw. Without marty, I don't think the Devils are even in the running for a WC.

the Devils annually rank near the top for merchandise sales, and quite tellingly, away game attendance. Its why Forbes ranked this team so high, secondary sales are astronomical.

Could you post where you got your merchandise info from? I remember there being NHL merch numbers available, possibly on Forbes, but can't find it. All I can find is this, and while it has revenue numbers it doesn't say how much of it is from merch. Thanks.

Hey guys first time poster, long time lurker... christ that sounds like a bad Mike & the Maddog caller.

If we were to ever get it and Giants Stadium was unavailable, how about the new Red Bull Arena in Harrison. Capacity is 25,000 and looks like the sight lines would be great.

Redbullarenainterior11062009.jpg

Would love to get it at the Red Bulls stadium, but there is NO chance that happens. 1. 25,000 is very small....although all of the seats would give an excellent view, the league would want more people there. 2. Harrison, NJ isn't exactly some picturesque area. There are a ton of events before the actual game leading up to it. This area would not be an ideal situation to have such things....

Wouldn't the field at a soccer stadium be bigger than the field at a football stadium, thus placing all seats even further away from the ice?

I am not sure, but based on that picture there....it seems as if all of the seats would feel very close to ice level....(compared to other WC venues)

Edited by ThreeCups

Could merchandise sales have to do with the teams selected? Anyone know where the Devils rank in that category? I can't imagine too low because didn't the Canadiens GM say that he was impressed with all of the jerseys in the stands after the 1/2/09 game. :noclue:

That's a big, big part of it. The retro jerseys/merchandise and the marketing of the retro looks is tied in with the game itself. IMO, if the NHL starts throwing teams out there in their regular home/road sets it'll take something away from the game. I love the fact that the teams break out retro sets and hope it continues each year.

Would love to get it at the Red Bulls stadium, but there is NO chance that happens. 1. 25,000 is very small....although all of the seats would give an excellent view, the league would want more people there. 2. Harrison, NJ isn't exactly some picturesque area. There are a ton of events before the actual game leading up to it. This area would not be an ideal situation to have such things....

Yet Orchard Park NY, Flushing Queens and the Meadowlands Swamp fit the bill?

There is really no comparison to the Meadowlands and Harrison. Also, Citi Field is alot bigger than the Red Bull Stadium. The combination of stadium size and location makes it a NO CHANCE IN HELL for the WC....

This is a good point. For the Winter Classic, TV doesn't care as much about city skylines as usual, they're focusing mostly on the immediate "hockey rink in a stadium" scenery.

This is a good point. For the Winter Classic, TV doesn't care as much about city skylines as usual, they're focusing mostly on the immediate "hockey rink in a stadium" scenery.

Lack of hotels and other infrastructure would force many people to stay in Newark or possibly NYC....at that point they would rather just put the game in NY itself...