Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

Would Love to See NJ in the Game, But I think they have to get MOntreal & Ovie involved soon... too much North East focus in the games so far.. need to get the whole league involved...

I wonder if they plan on going back West next year. Much less options out there, but if they are looking to keep it balanced they could.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Love to See NJ in the Game, But I think they have to get MOntreal & Ovie involved soon... too much North East focus in the games so far.. need to get the whole league involved...

Well they have discussed 2 winter classics in a year. 1 involving american teams and the other all canadian

Ralph Wilson Stadium while having a large seating capacity isn't a very large building similar to the Rose Bowl having a large capacity but not being a huge building. The architechure at new Giants Stadium, FedEx Field, Lincolin Financial Field, M&T Bank Stadium and other "new" football stadiums feature multiple decks with multiple levels of skyboxes in between. I've been in the upper 2 rows at all of these (except new Giants Stadium) plus Gillette and you have a satellite view where its tough enough to follow a football game. Plus no NFL owner is going to give-up 3 weeks of playoff-push home games to put down ice especially if they have a grass field (Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago). The only way I see the NHL going back to football stadiums is with college stadiums (Red Wings @ Michigan, Penguins-Flyers @ Penn State, Red Wings-Hawks @ Notre Dame (NBC connection with ND), Wild @ new Gopher's Stadium, etc.) Even these large capacity college stadiums aren't "huge" in terms of building size/height.

So who has the best shot at getting games?

Washington (Nationals Park)

-Downtown location with upper deck views of the Capitol and Washington Monument. Game presentation can focus not only on Ovechkin but also the budding broad appeal of the Capitals in the area including the expansion of minority skating/hockey programs in the DC area.

Opponents: 1- Pittsburgh, 2- Rangers, 3- Philadelphia

Special Considerations: 1- DC hasn't had an All Star Game since the 1980's, 2- Obama appearance???

Pittsburgh (PNC Park)

-Downtown location with outfield view of downtown Pittsburgh.

Opponents: 1- Philadelphia, 2- Washington, 3- Rangers, 4- Red Wings

Special Considerations: Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby...

Philadelphia (Citizens Bank Park)

-Downtown view from stadium focus on the history of the Flyers. Opponents: 1- Pittsburgh, 2- Rangers, 3- Washington, 4- Montreal

Special Considerations: Ed Snyder Comcast buy-off when it comes time to put some games on ESPN again.

New York Rangers (Citi Field)

-Due to Yankee Stadium bowl game its not gonna happen there. Citi Field while a large field is more "intimate"/more condensed than new Yankee Stadium. The NHL wants no part of a NY-NY or NY-NJ Winter Classic because only 1 market really cares (see 2000 Subway Series bad national TV ratings).

Opponents: 1- Philadelphia, 2- US Original 6, 6- Washington, 7- Pittsburgh

Special Considerations: Madison Ave and the NY/national media only care about the Rangers. Its a fact whether you like it or not.

Detroit Red Wings (Commerica Park)

-downtown Detroit location can highlight "Hockeytown" (yeah its BS but it'll be marketed) and the attempts of Detroit to rise economically. Game in Ann Arbor would have more national sizzle but Illitch owns the Tigers and may want to keep the $$ in Detroit.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- US Original 6, 6- Toronto

Special Considerations: See above

Minnesota Wild (Target Field)

-Brand new downtown Minneapolis baseball stadium can focus on hockey in Minnesota and like Boston can keep the ice down for high school and college games. Problem is the Wild suck.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- Red Wings, 3- Pittsburgh, 4- Rangers

Special Considerations: 1980/Herb Brooks tie-in. Gophers hockey game

St. Louis Blues (New Busch Stadium)

-Brand new downtown stadium, Arch, etc. Throws a bone to Checketts/JD ownership group and "midwest/southern" hockey. Can mix some Cardinals (Musual, Pujols, etc). Problem is St. Louis sucks right now.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- Detroit, 3- Dallas, 4- Kansas City Islanders/Preds/Coyotes?

Edited by mdsieve

The problem with going west is you have multiple factors working against you.

First part of the success of the Winter Classic is its 1:00 p.m. EST time slot. The Winter Classic is placed nicely on New Years (with the Rose Bowl Parade lead-in) and goes against a bunch of "Who Gives A Crap" Bowls in the early afternoon. That all changes when the Rose Bowl comes on at 5:00 p.m. which for many is appointment viewing just for traditions sake no-matter whose in it. Western US teams that could support the Winter Classic like San Jose (@ Stamford, San Jose State, or UC-Berkley) or the LA Kings (@ Dodger Stadium) would have the games starting at 10 a.m. local time. Maybe the closest you'll get is the Avalanche at Coors Field or U.Colorado's Folsum Field where the game starts around 11:30 a.m. local time. Dallas could also be a wild card but that's dependent on if a Texas school is in the Cotton Bowl.

Isles-Rangers at Citi Field might work. Rivalry game, Isles franchise needs a revival and have an up and coming superstar in Tavares...Rangers are the Rangers. Citi Field also has more of an intimate ballpark feel to it as opposed to the bland new meadowlands.

Citi Field wasn't winterized as has been previously stated so they can't hold events in the cold weather months.

They mentioned on the Winter Classic broadcast that Fenway isn't winterized, so they had to bring in portable heaters and such. Possibly they could do the same for CitiField.

the pipes UNDER fenway are winterized - that's the key.

citi's not getting it.

gun to my head, i'm betting colorado vs. washington at Coors Field.

i would be shocked if PIT, CHI, PHI, BOS or DET get in it again with so many other teams with interesting story lines available. NYR and WAS for sure are marketable.

Washington (Nationals Park)

-Downtown location with upper deck views of the Capitol and Washington Monument. Game presentation can focus not only on Ovechkin but also the budding broad appeal of the Capitals in the area including the expansion of minority skating/hockey programs in the DC area.

Opponents: 1- Pittsburgh, 2- Rangers, 3- Philadelphia

Special Considerations: 1- DC hasn't had an All Star Game since the 1980's, 2- Obama appearance???

Pittsburgh (PNC Park)

-Downtown location with outfield view of downtown Pittsburgh.

Opponents: 1- Philadelphia, 2- Washington, 3- Rangers, 4- Red Wings

Special Considerations: Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby, Crosby...

Philadelphia (Citizens Bank Park)

-Downtown view from stadium focus on the history of the Flyers. Opponents: 1- Pittsburgh, 2- Rangers, 3- Washington, 4- Montreal

Special Considerations: Ed Snyder Comcast buy-off when it comes time to put some games on ESPN again.

New York Rangers (Citi Field)

-Due to Yankee Stadium bowl game its not gonna happen there. Citi Field while a large field is more "intimate"/more condensed than new Yankee Stadium. The NHL wants no part of a NY-NY or NY-NJ Winter Classic because only 1 market really cares (see 2000 Subway Series bad national TV ratings).

Opponents: 1- Philadelphia, 2- US Original 6, 6- Washington, 7- Pittsburgh

Special Considerations: Madison Ave and the NY/national media only care about the Rangers. Its a fact whether you like it or not.

Detroit Red Wings (Commerica Park)

-downtown Detroit location can highlight "Hockeytown" (yeah its BS but it'll be marketed) and the attempts of Detroit to rise economically. Game in Ann Arbor would have more national sizzle but Illitch owns the Tigers and may want to keep the $$ in Detroit.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- US Original 6, 6- Toronto

Special Considerations: See above

Minnesota Wild (Target Field)

-Brand new downtown Minneapolis baseball stadium can focus on hockey in Minnesota and like Boston can keep the ice down for high school and college games. Problem is the Wild suck.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- Red Wings, 3- Pittsburgh, 4- Rangers

Special Considerations: 1980/Herb Brooks tie-in. Gophers hockey game

St. Louis Blues (New Busch Stadium)

-Brand new downtown stadium, Arch, etc. Throws a bone to Checketts/JD ownership group and "midwest/southern" hockey. Can mix some Cardinals (Musual, Pujols, etc). Problem is St. Louis sucks right now.

Opponents: 1- Chicago, 2- Detroit, 3- Dallas, 4- Kansas City Islanders/Preds/Coyotes?

All of the teams i have put in bold text, have already been in or hosted the winter classic. I doubt the NHL will put them in another before getting other teams involved first.

All of the teams i have put in bold text, have already been in or hosted the winter classic. I doubt the NHL will put them in another before getting other teams involved first.

Its not about fairness. Its about making money and presenting the teams that NBC wants. NBC only wants Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and the Rangers whether they're good or not. They'll take a Washington, Buffalo, Dallas, San Jose or Colorado if they have one of the other teams (preferably the Rangers or Crosbys). Bettman can say that everybody will get a shot all he wants but NBC is going to get whoever they want because they have a gun the the NHL's head in the US network TV contract. The NHL buys off the little guys by throwing the Columbus's and Ottawa's of the league bones like hosting the draft.

Minnesota will get the game in the next 3 years. Since the "Minnesota Wild" really isn't a nationally recognized team with zero tradition I'd expect the NHL to hold-off and wait for the Wild to rebuild and get better. A game with Dallas would hold tons of irony for hockey fans but it wouldn't draw enough general sports fans. That's why they'd be matched to play an Original 6 (most likely Chicago or Detorit) or the Crosbys. A Dallas game presents some interesting merchandising with the whole wearing throwbacks too since Dallas still owns the North Stars trademarks the Wild couldn't wear North Stars jerseys so what would they wear? Minnesota Fighting Saints duds from the WHA?

I'd expect Minnesota to push for this game and they'd do a first class job with it putting high school and college games on as well similar to what they're doing in Boston.

I read somewhere NBC wants to do a weekly outdoor game next year starting in February.

It looks like the NHL is at least entertaining the idea:

20100103-qda3cb2d5ctemimnyb654eympp.jpg

I saw that, but there's no way they could be serious about that. The costs to build a rink in so many venues would be outrageous, and people would begin to get sick of the outdoor games real fast. Think about the 38,112 people that packed into Fenway on NYD. You know how many of them actually had a good view of the ice? I'd say about 5000. The others went only for the experience. Once this happens every week, people aren't going to pack into a cold stadium and pay money for a crappy seat when the experience is old and the game is televised for free.

I saw that, but there's no way they could be serious about that. The costs to build a rink in so many venues would be outrageous, and people would begin to get sick of the outdoor games real fast. Think about the 38,112 people that packed into Fenway on NYD. You know how many of them actually had a good view of the ice? I'd say about 5000. The others went only for the experience. Once this happens every week, people aren't going to pack into a cold stadium and pay money for a crappy seat when the experience is old and the game is televised for free.

If they did one every week, it would kill the novelty of it. The fact that it is only once a year is what adds alot of allure to it. A weekly game would cheapen it and blow up in their faces...

Larry Brooks on the push by the Wilpons to have a game at Citi Field and NBC's predicted aversion to a New York-New York match-up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/checks_and_the_citi_AZHCekDAb6uk5yagrg6GMO

A weekly outdoor game would be the real killing of the golden goose.

Edited by mdsieve

Larry Brooks on the push by the Wilpons to have a game at Citi Field and NBC's predicted aversion to a New York-New York match-up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/checks_and_the_citi_AZHCekDAb6uk5yagrg6GMO

A weekly outdoor game would be the real killing of the golden goose.

Is it written in stone that the WC HAS to be played on New Years Day? What about the week before the Super Bowl when the only thing on is the Pro Bowl game that NO ONE watches ? Or the week after the Daytona 500 (Feb. 21ish) Those dates have no conflict with any NFL game, Bowl game or NASCAR date.

I think the Islanders/Rangers game is a fine idea for Citi-Field. I agree with Brooks. The Islanders need to raise their profile.

If you are going to do it with the Capitals, fine. But raise it up a notch and do it on the National Mall. Then you could take a team like the Devils and put them in there. They are a draw, a modest one, but it would be made up for the fact of where the game is being played.

Is it written in stone that the WC HAS to be played on New Years Day? What about the week before the Super Bowl when the only thing on is the Pro Bowl game that NO ONE watches ? Or the week after the Daytona 500 (Feb. 21ish) Those dates have no conflict with any NFL game, Bowl game or NASCAR date.

The prime benificiary of the catastrophy that is the BCS and "Who Give's A Crap" Bowl games has been the NHL. The Winter Classic has filled that appointment TV void with the 1:00 p.m. EST game. The ONLY way the Winter Classic won't be played on New Year's Day would be when it falls on a Sunday and must go against the NFL (this'll happen in 2012) so the game would move to either New Years Eve Saturday or Monday January 2nd like the bowls normally do.

The CBC Canadian Winter Classic game I'd assume would be played later in the year probably in conjunction with the "Hockey Day In Canada" where all the Canadian teams play each other.

A Winter Classic at Citi Field would be bittersweet for me... sweet to see Citi Field get a WC but bitter because its Isles-Rags, yuck.

I have no idea about the winterized stuff but the quotes from Wilpon indicate its possible.

Edited by nmigliore

I dont' disagree with you about Marty/NJ...but I think getting Tavares/Isles on there would be better for the Islanders/NHL (who want to keep them there) - by raising their profile. Ratings wise, I'm not sure having the Devils as opposed to Islanders would make that big of a difference. With that said, I'd love for the Devils to be involved in this.

But what team wouldn't be?

Devils TV ratings for normal games are 2x that of the Islanders.

The Devils were also involved in the highest rated game of the 2000-2009 decade as well, Game 7 v Anaheim.

Ratings death my ass.

Yea but 2x the local ratings for a national game is meaningless. Devils don't do well in the national ratings, unless it's a big game and usually it's the playoff game people are watching for, not the Devils.