Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I don't think it's "common knowledge" that the NHL dropped the Capitals for the Flyers due to national recognition. I think the Caps would draw better than the Flyers, especially this year. There must have been circumstances, possibly saving them for later, or possibly because of some problem the Capitals have. Second, I don't see why we couldn't be chosen with the Capitals, because we've been chosen for NBC games as well. Of course we've been snubbed, but only because of market-based scheduling, not because they don't "care" about other teams. The pull for a Caps/Devs game would be as good as any winter classic, depending on the venue.

Well it is common knowledge. The NHL wanted the game to be Washington-Boston to feature Fenway and Ovechkin but NBC threw a block to that citing TV ratings for NBC Flyers games versus a blow-out Caps-Penguins game. The NHL tried but NBC dug their heels in and Bettman decided not to piss-off its only US national TV network and gave-in to the Comcast Flyers. NBC doesn't give a crap about the Devils, the Islanders, the SE Division, most of the West (except Detroit, Chicago, SJ, and Dallas), and Canada and couldn't give any of those listed the time of day.

And I don't really agree with your possible predictions, maybe because I legitimately don't think the NHL will go back on their claim that all teams will get chances at winter classics and there won't be initial repeat teams. They need to use the big-market teams to get the event turned into an annual tradition, then in 5ish years, they assume people will watch it out of tradition. I see no reason why the Devils can't be chosen this year or next year, as a home team or an away team. And the draw of Brodeur's final seasons and Lou's influence certainly don't hurt our chances.

And what evidence do you see in the 100+ years of the National Hockey League that the the NHL will EVER keep promises? Buffalo only got the Winter Classic because only Buffalo was willing to take the chance on it and they had an empty football stadium. Suddenly it was a smashing success (relative for the NHL) and everybody is jumping on board yelling "MY TURN!!!" when in the real world of money and media things are much different. All you have to see is the television schedule for NBC and VS and all you get is the same 10-12 teams whether they deserve it or not. The Winter Classic will devolve into the same NBC cherry picked US Original 6-Pittsburgh-Dallas-Buffalo-Philly-*San Jose-*Washington (*only if paired with Pittsburgh). Its how this league is operated as it basically begs NBC to broadcast its games.

The only chance I see the Devils getting an outdoor game is in the secondary CBC game probably at Molson Stadium in Montreal as part of some sort of Marty Brodeur "Victory Tour".

Well it is common knowledge. The NHL wanted the game to be Washington-Boston to feature Fenway and Ovechkin but NBC threw a block to that citing TV ratings for NBC Flyers games versus a blow-out Caps-Penguins game. The NHL tried but NBC dug their heels in and Bettman decided not to piss-off its only US national TV network and gave-in to the Comcast Flyers. NBC doesn't give a crap about the Devils, the Islanders, the SE Division, most of the West (except Detroit, Chicago, SJ, and Dallas), and Canada and couldn't give any of those listed the time of day.

And what evidence do you see in the 100+ years of the National Hockey League that the the NHL will EVER keep promises? Buffalo only got the Winter Classic because only Buffalo was willing to take the chance on it and they had an empty football stadium. Suddenly it was a smashing success (relative for the NHL) and everybody is jumping on board yelling "MY TURN!!!" when in the real world of money and media things are much different. All you have to see is the television schedule for NBC and VS and all you get is the same 10-12 teams whether they deserve it or not. The Winter Classic will devolve into the same NBC cherry picked US Original 6-Pittsburgh-Dallas-Buffalo-Philly-*San Jose-*Washington (*only if paired with Pittsburgh). Its how this league is operated as it basically begs NBC to broadcast its games.

The only chance I see the Devils getting an outdoor game is in the secondary CBC game probably at Molson Stadium in Montreal as part of some sort of Marty Brodeur "Victory Tour".

Well then let me just say that I disagree and I don't think we'll see a repeat team for a few years and I think we will see the Devils in a mainstream Winter Classic in not too long.

My guess for future US Winter Classics:

- @ Yankee Stadium (Rangers vs. Original 6)

- @ Nationals Park (Capitals vs. Penguins)

- @ Comerica Park (Red Wings vs. Original 6)

I also picture a push to have a game like this in either Dallas, LA, or San Francisco as the technology improves.

I'd rather they play it at RFK. Serviceable stadium for dc united.

Me too. But the Giants and Jets have been no help in that regard.

If I was Christie (NJ Gov)I would MAKE the Jets and Giants change their name to NJ for the Start of the 10-11 season, he certainly has the power. Failing to do so makes them prohibited from playing in East Rutherford NEW JERSEY.

I'd like to know if the State of NJ gets any revenue from the Jets and Giants ? 80% sounds fair to me.( If they refuse to change their name-30% if they do)

I'd also like Christie to dissolve the NJSEA (more like NYSEA)That organisation DOES NOT have the best interests of the State New Jersey at heart. It's just a bunch of crooks with strong arm tactics. Put those thugs in Sing-Sing for 25 to life for corruption.

Why not have the Winter Classic at Rutgers football stadium ?

That organisation DOES NOT have the best interests of the State New Jersey at heart. It's just a bunch of crooks with strong arm tactics. Put those thugs in Sing-Sing for 25 to life for corruption.

And this makes them different from the state, county, school board, and town government officials in New Jersey how??? :rolleyes:

If I was Christie (NJ Gov)I would MAKE the Jets and Giants change their name to NJ for the Start of the 10-11 season, he certainly has the power. Failing to do so makes them prohibited from playing in East Rutherford NEW JERSEY.

I'd like to know if the State of NJ gets any revenue from the Jets and Giants ? 80% sounds fair to me.( If they refuse to change their name-30% if they do)

I'd also like Christie to dissolve the NJSEA (more like NYSEA)That organisation DOES NOT have the best interests of the State New Jersey at heart. It's just a bunch of crooks with strong arm tactics. Put those thugs in Sing-Sing for 25 to life for corruption.

Why not have the Winter Classic at Rutgers football stadium ?

The politicians here just don't care. It was infuriating reading their indifference in the quotes I found while writing my paper on this.

I think Rutgers Stadium is too much smaller than an NFL or MLB stadium for them to consider it.

Maybe what the NHL should do is have a little tournament between maybe the Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers for pre-season instead of just having one game. Hey its not the WC I understand that but it would be a great way to get pumped for the regular season. Especially since it would be held out doors.

Maybe what the NHL should do is have a little tournament between maybe the Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers for pre-season instead of just having one game. Hey its not the WC I understand that but it would be a great way to get pumped for the regular season. Especially since it would be held out doors.

Thats a good idea.

The politicians here just don't care. It was infuriating reading their indifference in the quotes I found while writing my paper on this.

I think Rutgers Stadium is too much smaller than an NFL or MLB stadium for them to consider it.

Rutgers Stadium holds 50k +....roughly 10,000 more than Fenway....attendance is not issue...it would never been there for other reasons....

Is the area around rutgers stable enough to handle all of the festivities? Probably, considering they host football games there

i've played there twice for hs football games and tunnel from the locker rooms to the field is VERY steep. Can't imagine walking down there in skates lol. and the endzone seats on both sides will be so far back because at the old endzone theres a ton of open space there. not the ideal plan but it would be pretty sweet for anyone with some NJ pride

Is the area around rutgers stable enough to handle all of the festivities? Probably, considering they host football games there

i've played there twice for hs football games and tunnel from the locker rooms to the field is VERY steep. Can't imagine walking down there in skates lol. and the endzone seats on both sides will be so far back because at the old endzone theres a ton of open space there. not the ideal plan but it would be pretty sweet for anyone with some NJ pride

The facilities could host the game. But the NHL would never host a Classic at a relatively unknown stadium in Piscataway, NJ...

Rutgers Stadium holds 50k +....roughly 10,000 more than Fenway....attendance is not issue...it would never been there for other reasons....

Wow really? I always figured it was relatively small since the upper level doesn't go all the way around. But yeah it's not known enough to host something like this anyway.

Calgary is getting the secondary WC next year and will play another Canadian club as per CBC's demands. There was a serious push from the CBC and Calgary last summer but the league told them that logistically 2 games was impossible to pull-off with only 6 months lead time. The only non-Canadian clubs that have an initial chance playing the CBC game would be Pittsburgh or Detroit.

The NHL is pushing towards baseball venues first because there aren't any scheduling concerns with football. Second the law of supply & demand with baseball stadiums being smaller there's no worries charging a premeium for tickets.

In today's Washington Post mentions the NHL pushing for the Capitals to play in next season's WC game at either Yankee Stadium against the Rangers or in Pittsburgh (presumably PNC Park due to Steelers scheduling concerns). It also mentions the NHL not caring about the whole East-West rotation with the game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123102716.html

How much money does this bring in for the teams in the game? If this brings in extra money, you can bet the other owners will not be happy if the same teams start repeating and other teams are left out.

And then NBC throws down the "We get to choose who plays or your entire Cup Finals is on a cable channel half of the US can't get" card.

Wow really? I always figured it was relatively small since the upper level doesn't go all the way around. But yeah it's not known enough to host something like this anyway.

They just completed an expansion before this season. The stadium now accommodates nearly 54,000. (attendance record is 53,737)

They just completed an expansion before this season. The stadium now accommodates nearly 54,000. (attendance record is 53,737)

Yea I'm aware of the unnecessary and ridiculous expansion, I am a Rutgers student. I figured it still didn't seat that many with the upper level only going along the sidelines.