Patrice Cormier Elbow

titans04

No need for that magic "talking to from Lou" to cure this kid of his 'go straight for the head' ways, as he doesn't have a problem with it.

A suspendable offence, Lou?

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion, no," Lamoriello told the Newark Star-Ledger.

and

"I certainly have spoken to Patrice, only because of the rhetoric," Lamoriello told the Star-Ledger. "I asked him how he felt because of the rhetoric.

"There is no issue from my end of it."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/Time+stop+vicious+head+hits/2458089/story.html

He probably took that from the headline only from Chere's blog. If the author had read the quotes he would have seen the question was whether Lou thought it was worthy of a suspension for the rest of the year.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lamoriello_cormier_elbow_not_worthy_of_criminal_charges/

Lamoriello does not believe that criminal charges or a suspension for the remainder of the season are warranted for the elbow.

“I’m not the judge and jury of things, but in my opinion this is not something that should be talked about,” Lamoriello said.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_devils_gm_lou_lamoriello_no.html

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is reviewing the incident before handing out punishment and a season-long suspension has been mentioned by some.

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt that was possible

You can see the quote comes from the Chere article and not the TG one but both make it clear the question was presented as suspension for the whole season, not suspension at all.

----------------

On the "no issue" coming from Lou, I believe, he is saying that the Devils will not be punishing Cormier for the hit.

--------------------------

On another aside, how did you miss the original quotes from Devils sources that happened before a retread article from Edmonton?

Edited by Devils731

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another aside, how did you miss the original quotes from Devils sources that happened before a retread article from Edmonton?

How did I miss a specific quote on a day when google shows over 150 new Cormier news hits? The answer is I simply haven't gotten to it yet. Lots of people who didn't give a rat's behind about hockey last week are aware of this kid and this hit now. Lots of extra coverage for the game being generated...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/18/patrice-cormier-mikael-ta_n_427103.html

Edited by jim777

How did I miss a specific quote on a day when google shows over 150 new Cormier news hits? The answer is I simply haven't gotten to it yet. Lots of people who didn't give a rat's behind about hockey last week are aware of this kid and this hit now. Lots of extra coverage for the game being generated...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/18/patrice-cormier-mikael-ta_n_427103.html

Fair enough, I see it wasn't posted in this thread before so maybe it wasn't posted here at all.

Still, I think you can see that the Edmonton guy was quoting improperly and out of context.

I could care less how much extra media attention something gets or not, like I don't really care how many fans attend games. It doesn't change what happened no matter what attention level there is.

Edited by Devils731

What I see from Lou's quotes is that he doesn't think it's that big of a deal, which I personally find disappointing.

I don't know if we can tell from Lou's quotes how big a deal he finds it. As the GM of the team it makes much more sense for him to talk to Cormier and change him than join in with the mob, some of whom want Cormier thrown in jail, hurt, and/or out of hockey forever. Lou views the Devils as a family, so in this case Lou is a father figure and when a big external punishment is coming a person isn't helped to improve themselves by their family turning their back on them as well.

Look, I might be new here, but I've been a Devils fan since '86. I know how Lou views the team. Lou refered to speaking to Patrice "only because of the rhetoric", you quoted him youself above. I also know that without an AHL suspension this kid could be in Lowell in June. I think Lou is fine with that. All I'm saying is that I find that personally disappointing.

Look, I might be new here, but I've been a Devils fan since '86. I know how Lou views the team. Lou refered to speaking to Patrice "only because of the rhetoric", you quoted him youself above. I also know that without an AHL suspension this kid could be in Lowell in June. I think Lou is fine with that. All I'm saying is that I find that personally disappointing.

Then you know Lou doesn't tell the media everything or his whole reason for doing things. I think the rhetoric does play into it as Lou is trying to give Cormier some sort of support and guidance through this to give some balance to the people wanting Cormier's head. It appears Lou felt it was a big enough deal to call Cormier himself, something which I doubt happens very often. Both NJ writers make it a point to say Lou felt this was a serious situation.

It'd be nice to acknowledge that the Edmonton article you posted was pretty poor in it's foundation since I still can't tell if you agree the author took Lou's quotes out of context, since I believe they were.

Edited by Devils731

It'd be nice to acknowledge that the Edmonton article you posted was pretty poor in it's foundation since I still can't tell if you agree the author took Lou's quotes out of context, since I believe they were.

Here you go:

The Edmonton article took Lou's quotes out of contect by not showing the question asked but just the reply.

Edited by jim777

My take on the whole situation, Cormier wasn't planning to elbow Tam until the last second. He went for the KO hit, was about to miss and threw out his elbow at the last second. I am not letting him off the hook for the hit as he has shown the disregard for headshots previously. The problem with this situation is that the result was so much more severe then the intent that he will probably get the remainder of the season. How does this affect him with NJ, not at all, he will probably make the team next year at some point.

That hit was unacceptable and he deserves a lengthy suspension. However, I will say this: I can't wait to see Cormier in a Devils uniform. He WILL learn where that line is- you can be sure Lou will see to that. And when he does- and he still has that edge to his game- he will bring a much-needed physical presence to the line-up. It's been said in this thread a few times- this team lacks grit and toughness. Cormier will provide some.

I hope you are right MD. I love the Devils and agree they have been a soft team since Stevens left, and need some toughness, but this is not toughness, it is a blatent disregard for the rules. If he did it 1 time then it was a "horrible accident" and a mistake, but this kid has a history of reckless play. I really hope the NHL and Lou can help him mature, but what I fear is that I am sure many said along the way that Domi will mature when he gets to the NHL, Hunter will mature when he gets to the NHL, McSorley will mature when he gets to the NHL, Bertuzzi will mature when her gets to the NHL, and Simon will certainly mature when he gets to the NHL, yet ???????

SO yes maybe Lou's influence will be a strong one on him, but looking at his history and how he seems to play I am not so certain.

Edited by PaDevsFan

But why would Atlanta -- or anyone else, for that matter -- want him?

there would be several teams calling if the devils were offering patrice cormier around. he was team canada's captain at the WJC, there's not many players who have been that.

the real point is that new jersey has two centers currently playing on their team who were signed this year and who basically admitted they were about to retire or play in russia if lou hadn't come calling. the minor leagues have two career minor league types and an undrafted player. the devils very, very desperately need centers in their organization. if cormier had killed someone off the ice, yeah okay, he can't play here. he made a mistake, he'll pay for it, and he'll be playing in new jersey by october 2011 at the latest.

My take on the whole situation, Cormier wasn't planning to elbow Tam until the last second. He went for the KO hit, was about to miss and threw out his elbow at the last second. I am not letting him off the hook for the hit as he has shown the disregard for headshots previously. The problem with this situation is that the result was so much more severe then the intent that he will probably get the remainder of the season. How does this affect him with NJ, not at all, he will probably make the team next year at some point.

Not sure how you could possibly play down the intent, I guess in the midst of leaving his feet and going for the KO hit his elbow just happened to smack the guy right in the face. Nice flying elbow WWE style. Couple this with at least two other times when the kid just happened to throw his elbow into another unsuspecting guys face. As others have siad these aren't examples of toughness in fact the total opposite, it's cowardly.

Not sure how you could possibly play down the intent, I guess in the midst of leaving his feet and going for the KO hit his elbow just happened to smack the guy right in the face. Nice flying elbow WWE style. Couple this with at least two other times when the kid just happened to throw his elbow into another unsuspecting guys face. As others have siad these aren't examples of toughness in fact the total opposite, it's cowardly.

First, it was one time. The game against Finland was shoulder on shoulder. Second, his original intent was to hit the guy, when he missed he threw the elbow up. Just because a player throws a cheap shot doesn't make them a coward. Stevens threw many cheap shots in his career, it makes them stupid.

Watch Cormier at 9 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L394qk_chck

Watch Pronger at 10 seconds

They are both in near identical positions, the only difference is Tam side steps out of the way of a shoulder to the head, and ends up with an elbow to the head. Everyone who hits now days rise up through the hit, Stevens did it as well, giving the deception of an elbow.

First, it was one time. The game against Finland was shoulder on shoulder. Second, his original intent was to hit the guy, when he missed he threw the elbow up. Just because a player throws a cheap shot doesn't make them a coward. Stevens threw many cheap shots in his career, it makes them stupid.

Let me guess, this was a shoulder hit too??

Cormier certainly isn't known for dropping his gloves. Cheap elbows to the head/face are cowardly especially when there's a pattern over a very short period of time. Not saying he should never play again but downplaying what he's done recently is silly. He deserves and will most likely get a long suspension.

Edited by titans04

Your right, Cormier caught Tam with an elbow and Pronger caught Datsyuk with a shoulder. The hitting motion is identical though. Another one with Stevens.

it isn't, jason. patrice's elbow is out before he makes contact, that's the whole reason the guy's face went into his elbow. you cannot make hits like this without making damn sure that you're going to hit him with the shoulder.

Edited by Triumph

Let me guess, this was a shoulder hit too??

Cormier certainly isn't known for dropping his gloves. Cheap elbows to the head/face are cowardly especially when there's a pattern over a very short period of time. Not saying he should never play again but downplaying what he's done recently is silly. He deserves and will most likely get a long suspension.

No, that one is an elbow. Please show me the second elbow at the WJC. Cormier isn't known as a fighter but he has fought his fair share of times. Usually a coach will tell his #1 center not to fight. I agree he deserves a suspension but to say he intended to elbow Tam the whole time, I just don't buy it.

Triumph, its a fast sport. I used to throw quite a few hits and to time it is a skill and I agree, if you go for that sort of hit make damn sure you connect with your shoulder and not your arm.