2011 Winter Classic Rumor

Devil Dan 56

No great shock. We're never getting a classic. Our best chance would have been next year -- play up the Olympic thing, put us in Canada, maybe Calgary -- Iginla vs. Jaime and Zach. I never saw Flyers or Rags panning out -- they'd put Flyers against Sid's b!tch ass and Rags Isles.

Who was that guy that predicted this Washington-Pittsburgh Winter Classic coming when everybody was yelling "No way Pittsburgh gets on twice in 4 years. It has to be spread around"? :whistling:

NBC has a knife pointed at the league's balls and doesn't give a crap what everybody thinks.

This will all be confirmed if the Steelers are on the road for the last 2 weeks of the NFL season when next season's NFL schedule is released in a couple of weeks.

Edited by mdsieve

No great shock. We're never getting a classic. Our best chance would have been next year -- play up the Olympic thing, put us in Canada, maybe Calgary -- Iginla vs. Jaime and Zach. I never saw Flyers or Rags panning out -- they'd put Flyers against Sid's b!tch ass and Rags Isles.

We'll get it in 2013. And then the world actually will end on 12/21/2012. :doh1:

In all seriousness, I'm with ya, next year was our best shot. Get Marty in it before he's retired, plus Zach and potentially Kovalchuk. But in reality, our best shot was still no real shot at all.

One guy on that article suggested the Rangers play the Caps at New Giants Stadium.. Boy, that would be a real slap in the face to the Devils who actually play in and represent NJ

They aren't having it at a stadium which houses 2 NFL teams in which their schedules will have an impact on the playing surface.

They aren't having it at a stadium which houses 2 NFL teams in which their schedules will have an impact on the playing surface.

It'd definitely be possible to make it happen at Giants Stadium by using the bye weeks and/or doubling up home games during the same week... it may even be possible to leave the stadium empty week 16, too. If not, they'd probably have to schedule the Jets or Giants for a Christmas Day home game to get a full 6 days to get the rink up. (In 2007, the Bills played Week 16 on Dec 23, and they managed to get that stadium ready. I don't know how much of a difference those 2 days make.)

It all comes down to how willing the NFL is to constrain the schedule to make it happen.

This is such cr@p if it happens. Can we not just recycle the same 4 teams so that this event maintains SOME integrity?

Edited by nyrsuck26

Why does the NHL hate us so? :evilcry:

No seriously why does the league hate one of it's most consistant, steady, winning teams in the last 20 years!

Because the Devils are the equal of the Oakland A's when it comes to both local and national television exposure (hardcore fan base and more successful but still 2nd fiddle to a historically inferior team on other side of the water). Hockey and even casual sports fans are aware of the franchise and that its been one of the more successful hockey franchises, but that's still not enough to get them to watch a hockey game.

The NHL isn't alone though as EVERY other sport does the same.

MLB (Fox-ESPN): nothing but combos of Yankees-Red Sox-Cardinals-Cubs-Phillies-Dodgers

NBA (ABC-ESPN): nothing but combos of Cavs-Lakers-Celtics-Magic-Heat-Mavericks-Spurs

NFL (Fox-CBS-ESPN-NBC)" multi national games: Pats-Colts-Steelers-Cowboys-Eagles-Giants-Jets

(*-NFL rule that every team must be on national TV once but its easy to spread out amongst MNF, TNF, random special Saturday nights, and Thanksgiving)

NCAA Hoops: nothing but national combos of Duke-UNC-UConn-Syracuse-Kansas-UCLA

NCAA Football: nothing but SEC, Big 10, or Notre Dame

Edited by mdsieve

My thought about the Winter Classic, if the NHL really wants to bolster ratings, is to have a team from each conference play in it. You can still have the Eastern Conf host, but give a Western Conf team a chance to play as the visitor. I know the fans out here in CA and the west in general would be more interested if they had a more local team, or at least a team from their conference represented. And I think it would garner more ratings nationwide. How many Word Series have we seen where two local teams are playing and the rest of the country could care less? It's always more interesting when there's some distance between the two teams, especially teams that don't see each other all that often in the regular season. Spread the wealth!!

My thought about the Winter Classic, if the NHL really wants to bolster ratings, is to have a team from each conference play in it. You can still have the Eastern Conf host, but give a Western Conf team a chance to play as the visitor. I know the fans out here in CA and the west in general would be more interested if they had a more local team, or at least a team from their conference represented. And I think it would garner more ratings nationwide. How many Word Series have we seen where two local teams are playing and the rest of the country could care less? It's always more interesting when there's some distance between the two teams, especially teams that don't see each other all that often in the regular season. Spread the wealth!!

I definitely agree that we should spread the wealth, but I really don't think that having an East-West game is the way to do it. I think you do East in 08, West in 09, East in 10, West in 11 and so on. Obviously we know it won't go this way, but in my opinion this would be the better way to do it. I think that part of the magic of the Winter Classic is that it's a regular season game--one that matters. I couldn't care less about East-West matchup regular season games. Even when they're highly touted (Stanley Cup Final rematches and whatnot). So even though I'd still watch, I think it's much more enticing if there's some rivalry involved and some competition.

There isn't an NHL superstar out in the west. Back in the 90's Gretzky was in LA and Lemieux was in Pittsburgh. Perfect ready-made east-west match-up. Even secondary guys were spread out diecently with Yzerman, Hull, and Roenick out west and Messier, Lindros, and Neely in the east.

Not anymore with the 2 heavies in Ovechkin and Crosby are in cities 200 miles appart and since the downfall of the Avalanche and choke-jobs of San Jose there isn't a big-time western heavy-star/team west of Chicago or Detroit.

I definitely agree that we should spread the wealth, but I really don't think that having an East-West game is the way to do it. I think you do East in 08, West in 09, East in 10, West in 11 and so on. Obviously we know it won't go this way, but in my opinion this would be the better way to do it. I think that part of the magic of the Winter Classic is that it's a regular season game--one that matters. I couldn't care less about East-West matchup regular season games. Even when they're highly touted (Stanley Cup Final rematches and whatnot). So even though I'd still watch, I think it's much more enticing if there's some rivalry involved and some competition.

That's another option, and frankly I don't care if it's how you suggested it or how I did, or a combination every other year, but what I really want to avoid is what seems to be happening,. having the same teams playing over and over, and if they keep having the "big name" teams (i.e. what Bettman wants to see) it's going to get boring in a hurry. As an example, nobody paid any attention to Phoenix until this year, why not have them as a visiting team especially if they continue as they have been? It's an interesting story. The NHL seems to constantly focus on the original 6 (don't know when/how Pitts became an original 6, but Mario will make it so) ... and the NHL doesn't realize the casual hockey fan has no idea who the original 6 were anyway. Mix it get it up, and include some teams most folks who don't have Center Ice don't usually get to see. Just my .02

Devils Rangers new giants stadium. What is so hard about that?

If they want Ovechkin in a classic so bad put them up against the best goalie of all time, that would sell. Best player in the world currently against Brodeur could catch on.

If they want to piss off the hockey world even more why not put the penguins vs red wings?