Well, Expect Hasek Back...

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Hasek expected back

TSN.ca Staff

7/7/2003

The Detroit Red Wings will hold a conference call on Tuesday morning with the media, during which it is widely expected the team will announce Dominik Hasek's intentions to return to the NHL.

Hasek contacted the Red Wings over the weekend to make them aware of his decision.

Hasek's agent, Rich Winter, had no comment when contacted by TSN.

The conference call is scheduled to take place at 10:30 am et.

If Hasek decides to end his one year retirement, the Red Wings will attempt to unload one of their high priced netminders. Both goalies are set to earn $8-million next season.

Curtis Joseph, who was signed last year to replace Hasek, has a no-trade clause in his deal. Agent Don Meehan has refused to say whether or not he would waive it in order to give the Red Wings some more options.

Detroit has received trade offers for Joseph and team owner Mike Ilitch has said he would entertain offers for Hasek as well. General manager Ken Holland indicated last week that the Red Wings would be willing to take "somebody who's maybe making a little bit too much money in another market" as part of any potential trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=46...610&hubName=nhl

I think Howe should come back again. You know, just for the hell of it.

Hey, maybe even Phil Simms will jump out of the TV booth and onto the field next season. Might as well happen since the trend for professionals lately is coming out of retirement and tarnishing their image.

It's gonna be hell shaking the in-line image of Hasek from my head -- so dopey!

Cujo to the Rangers? Wouldnt' shock me now - nah he'd never waive his no trade clause for that...or would he? Hasek to the Rangers? :lol: And Richter has an injury free Vezina winning season :lol: ahh the possibilities here -- to stupid to imagine all of them! Glad the Devils have Marty is all I can say!

I highly doubt the wings would trade Hasek...the odds are astronomical. Joseph's time in Detroit realistically over.

But wouldn't it be great if CuJo refused to waive his no trade clause? Just ride the pine and collect on his big contract...that sounds like the ultimate goaltender dream.

It'd be hilarious if they couldn't find a taker for CuJo and they had to trade Hasek...or Legace :lol:

That's probably a pipedream though; they HAVE to find a taker for CuJo at someone else's price; it'd be absolute lunacy to keep him around now. First because of the salary. Second because you've already said he's not the guy by begging Hasek to come back (not that he needed any convincing :P ).

Here's a sick though.. Hasek to the Rangers for Lindros :D .. this way we can see how bad Hasek REALLY is behind that Ranger defense and it's the PERFECT Dolan-type move !!

Its just pitiful. I was hoping for the best, that the Wings were just playing their cards... but apparantly they really are that stupid. CuBlow is just like Chokemanek... good goaltenders that can't shake the playoffs... But in all honesty, I think CuJo will outplay Hasek this upcoming season... And sadly, that isnt saying a hell of a lot. Hasek should remain retired... just like MJ, when you leave on top, you think you can come back to your glory... land you just cant.

When all is said and done, history will laugh at Hasek for returning if he does.

I'm with Aylbert on this one. Hasek left the game on top, winning the Cup with his new team... he accomplished what he set out to do. My guess is he got irked by all this talk about "Who's the best goalie? Well, we know it's not Hasek..." and wouldn't let his ego take that kind of beating.

If he does come back, I feel terrible for CuJo. Sure, the guy's not one of hockey's greats, but to be one-and-done in Hockeytown and forever regarded as a scapegoat for the Wings' anemic offense and defeat at the hands of Disney? Yikes. He'll either have his confidence shattered, or he'll play like a man possessed and try to prove Detroit wrong for trading him.

Who knows, maybe the conference is to put to rest all the Hasek rumors and CuJo will stay there... though if I were him, by this point, I would be asking for a trade anyway.

Hasek confirms comeback

TSN.ca Staff

7/8/2003

Dominik Hasek confirmed the worst kept secret in hockey, that he plans to return to play hockey next season with the Detroit Red Wings.

Hasek's decision means the Red Wings will attempt to move one of their two goaltenders, most likely Curtis Joseph.

"Ideally, as quickly as possible, I'd like to get a goaltender moved," said Red Wings general manager Ken Holland. "That's easier said than done in the current financial environment. Both are very well paid, and I'm going to have to try to be creative with other teams to put something together."

( read as "I'm calling the Rangers")

Holland added he hopes to have the goaltending situation resolved prior to the start of training camp this fall.

While Holland would not say definitively that Joseph will be traded, Hasek made it quite clear where he expects to play next year.

"My decision, unfortunately, affects other people," said Hasek. "My desire is to play for the Detroit Red Wings... It's my goal and nothing else."

Joseph, who was signed last year to replace Hasek, has a no-trade clause in his deal. Holland says he has not asked Joseph or his agent to waive that clause, but he plans to speak with the goaltender on Tuesday regarding the future.

Detroit has received trade offers for Joseph and team owner Mike Ilitch has said he would entertain offers for Hasek as well.

Holland indicated last week that the Red Wings would be willing to take "somebody who's maybe making a little bit too much money in another market" as part of any potential trade.

Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Hasek decides to retire after winning Cup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Dominik Hasek wanted to complete his resume with a Stanley Cup. Now that he's won it, he's retiring.

Hasek, one of the most accomplished goalies in history, announced Tuesday he would not return for a second year with the Detroit Red Wings.

"Winning the Cup has been everything I could ever ask for,'' Hasek said.

"After 21 years of playing professional hockey at the highest level, I do not feel that I have enough fire in me to compete at the level that I expect of myself.''

The announcement by the 37-year-old future Hall of Famer follows that of coach Scotty Bowman, who retired the night the Red Wings won the Cup.

"He left from the top, and I can say the same thing,'' Hasek said.

Possible replacements for Hasek include Toronto's Curtis Joseph, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1 if he doesn't sign again with the Maple Leafs.

Hasek sought a trade to Detroit because he wasn't satisfied with his six Vezina Trophies as the NHL's best goalie, his two Hart Trophies as the league's MVP, and a gold medal with the Olympic champion Czech Republic at the 1998 Nagano Games.

He wanted his name on the Stanley Cup.

Hasek won more than just the Cup -- he got a $1 million bonus that was written into his contract for winning the NHL title.

"We had a sensational year. We know the type of effort that he put out,'' Detroit owner Mike Ilitch said. "We knew exactly what the contracts read. We were prepared for something like this.''

Hasek's retirement announcement was not his first.

While he was with the Buffalo Sabres, he announced that the 1999-2000 season would be his last in the NHL. But after missing much of the season with a groin injury, Hasek reconsidered and wanted another chance to win the Cup in Buffalo.

When Hasek announced that planned retirement, he said that the longer he stayed in the United States, the harder his son Michael's adjustment would be to life in the Czech Republic, where the goaltender wanted to return with his family.

Under the deal announced last year, the Red Wings paid Hasek $8 million for the 2001-02 season, matching the salaries of Yzerman and defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, with two more option years at the same salary.

Again, I can't help but think this return stems from Hasek's being banned in the Czech Republic.. or just to get in one more year before the lockout.

That said, it was clear Hasek was on the decline when he played for the Wings and he hasn't gotten any younger. He won't be awful, but as a reflex goaltender, at his age, he will not be the best goaltender in the league.

And there can be only two reasons the Wings qualified him, both stupid: 1. to keep Hasek away from the Avs. Dumb! Hasek's not the top goalie in the league anymore and he might very well be finished. 2. They think Joseph can't handle the pressure. What? Why'd they sign him just a year ago, then? Wings fans hate Joseph, and for no good reason.. he took the blame of the playoff loss this year even though Hull and Fedorov were rather invisible..

Hasek returns... and in his first game lets in three goals, but makes one of his "patented" sprawling saves that ESPN commentators will look at and say, "He's just rusty, but he's still got the skill and competitive fire to be the game's top goalie!"

And then they'll go and say the same thing about Roy when he returns.

All the while, Brodeur is putting them both to shame and loving every minute of it....