Interesting Quote by Lou on retiring Jerseys

msweet

“I think he has to get every possible consideration, without question,” Lamoriello said today.

These kind of decisions are not ones the Devils rush into, though, and Lamoriello said it would be premature to say if the team will retire Niedermayer’s jersey during the 2010-11 season.

He said there is no doubt, however, about the kind of player Niedermayer was and what he meant to the Devils, helping them win three Stanley Cups. Niedermayer, Scott Stevens, Ken Danekyo, Sergei Brylin and Martin Brodeur were the only Devils to play for all three of their Stanley Cup teams.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lou_lamoriello_scott_niedermayer_was_one_of_the_best_to_ever_play_here/

He said there is no doubt, however, about the kind of player Niedermayer was and what he meant to the Devils, helping them win three Stanley Cups. Niedermayer, Scott Stevens, Ken Danekyo, Sergei Brylin and Martin Brodeur were the only Devils to play for all three of their Stanley Cup teams.

Wonder if there is a way to honor them without retiring their jerseys. Just do not want to be the rangers here. The Rangers were retiring almost every member of their 94 cup team. that went at least one player too far, adam graves.

Wonder if there is a way to honor them without retiring their jerseys. Just do not want to be the rangers here. The Rangers were retiring almost every member of their 94 cup team. that went at least one player too far, adam graves.

I agree with this. Keep the retired jersey group small and sweet.

I wouldn't retired Scott or Sarge. Yeah Nieds won three cups here but his departure and contract circumstances were ridiculous. If he had stayed a career Devil, been traded, or left the way of Madden, Rafalski, Gionta( lack of interest from Devs) then I'd say yeah. But given the opportunity, Scott said NO to the Devils. Keep his number on the ground.

Right now, the only other #'s that should be retired are MacLean's, S. Niedermayer, and Marty's when he hangs them up.

I have to admit I was not a big fan of the 3rd jersey movement in the NHL, but I think the Devil's pulled it off with the retro jerseys last year. Just wish they had the white retros and good to go. Still on the fence as to whether I would like to see them go even further back with the Rockies and Scouts jerseys.

The problem with the Rangers is they went too fast and furious that they turned it into a joke. I guess they figured for a team with so much "tradition", they better start catching up fast. :rolleyes:

Graves retirement was a fan favorite type retirement in all reality. He's their "Mr. Ranger".

Bathgate and Howell were decades overdue. It is kind of a crime they waited as long as they did.

Messier, Leetch and Richter are no-brainers, no argument.

Edited by SJP20

The problem with the Rangers is they went too fast and furious that they turned it into a joke and tried to make up for lost years of two players. I guess they figured for a team with so much "tradition", they better strt catching up. :rolleyes:

Graves retirement was a fan favorite type retirement in all reality. He's their "Mr. Ranger".

Bathgate and Howell were decades overdue.

Messier, Leetch and Richter are no-brainers, no argument.

Yeah but that team really dwells on 1994 like no other team in all of sports. It has been 16 years and they still replay the hell out of the Eastern Conference Finals and Stanley Cup finals on MSG to this day. Many Ranger fans see 94 as the last of the good old years and still blame the Devils for the dead-puck era for the next 10 years. The Rangers with all of their "tradition" are a joke and I cannot wait for Nick Kypreos night coming soon to the Garden in a few years.

I wouldn't retired Scott or Sarge. Yeah Nieds won three cups here but his departure and contract circumstances were ridiculous. If he had stayed a career Devil, been traded, or left the way of Madden, Rafalski, Gionta( lack of interest from Devs) then I'd say yeah. But given the opportunity, Scott said NO to the Devils. Keep his number on the ground.

This is why I hope they wait a couple years before raising #27. Some wounds haven't healed yet.

The immediate sweater retirements should be an especially reserved honor. Stevens went up the year after he retired, but even Mr. Devil himself had to wait a couple years.

Marty's sweater should get raised at his retirement press conference.

Also, on a side note ... I always thought it was funny how Lou has done so much to try to model certain aspects of the Devils after the Yankees, from dress codes to facial hair codes and so on. Then, by coincidence, both franchises' first two retired numbers were 4 and 3, respectively. And in both cases, the wearer of 3 stopped playing before the wearer of 4, but the uniform #4 was retired first regardless.

+1

Yeah but that team really dwells on 1994 like no other team in all of sports. It has been 16 years and they still replay the hell out of the Eastern Conference Finals and Stanley Cup finals on MSG to this day. Many Ranger fans see 94 as the last of the good old years and still blame the Devils for the dead-puck era for the next 10 years. The Rangers with all of their "tradition" are a joke and I cannot wait for Nick Kypreos night coming soon to the Garden in a few years.

There's no doubt they dwell on 1994 and it's just one more thing to loathe about them. Hell, MSG played Game 7 vs the Devils yesterday.

However, the players like Messier, Leetch and Richter would be deserving anyway although they are associated with one year even though Leetch (HOF) and Richter had great, long NYR careers (and homegrown). If they didn't win in 1994, perhaps you could argue Messier shouldn't be there as he didn't get "the job done", wasn't homegrown and just another bust (like his 2nd stint where his other "guarantee" seems to get lost).

You could also have a debate if not for 3 Cups, Stevens and Daneyko would not be retired. Winning Cups can do alot.

Edited by SJP20