New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - Manta - the reason our "Kovalchuk doesn't even want to be here" is different than yours is than yours came from frustration and fear that he WOULD sign. Ours is from frustration and fear that he won't. So you can't call "I called it first" it doesn't count when it's just par for the course of human behavior not any real insight.

so ha! :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Manta you draw so many conclusions. We don't know that Kovy doesn't want to be here. He never said that. Grossman is chugging along doing his thing trying to get Kovy the most amount of $$$ possible. It's what he does. Grossman benefits from it too. If Kovy didn't want to be here then he wouldn't be considering NJ. I'll tell you where he pretty obviously doesn't want to be...Atlanta.

True, but there was a post last week that said Kovalchuk's first choice was LA and the fact that Grossman has been pressing for LA makes me believe there is some truth to it.

I agree that is Grossman's job to get the highest bid, but I think going back to LA after Lombardi specifically told Grossman that Kovy was not his #1 priority and after he seemingly agreed to Lou's offer leaves a bad taste.

Yeah - Manta - the reason our "Kovalchuk doesn't even want to be here" is different than yours is than yours came from frustration and fear that he WOULD sign. Ours is from frustration and fear that he won't.

so ha! :evil:

So be it.

Was it Revenge of the Shinobi or something for Sega Genesis many years ago?

I was in japan years ago, and they kind of giggled and laughed at me when I mentioned ninjas. They used the term shinobi instead. I don't know if that's accurate, but that was the experience I had.

I was in japan years ago, and they kind of giggled and laughed at me when I mentioned ninjas. They used the term shinobi instead. I don't know if that's accurate, but that was the experience I had.

yea, ninja is the western bastardization of shinobi

If Kovy doesnt sign here, I suggest that the next time he's in NJ, we all throw chinese stars at him.

The chinese don't have ninjas, so we'll have to throw ninja stars at him instead so that we stay on topic with this thread.

So be it.

Well.. we might all be on the same page now -- who even cares now? It's too much about business for Kovalchuk for me now. and yet I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt. He has a list of places he'd be happy to go to and just trusts his agent to get a deal done. I'd give my agent a lot of leeway to get the best deal for himself as much as me :noclue:

It comes off like Grossman or goodman or whatever his name is is just trying to get the figure as high as he can. Fair market value appears 10m/yr. But Kovalchuk wants a competitive team. We know and HE knows he cannot carry a whole team on his back. So he needs to allow room for movement in the teams budget. If he hogs it all then the team ANY TEAM cannot compete - it's just that simple. I feel like the agent just doesn't get it - how much whining must he be doing? I wonder if he jumps up and down and cries. He CANNOT feel like he's in any kind of catbird seat at this point!

Is there anything in the CBA to prevent Lou from signing Kovalchuk to some ridiculous 20-year deal so frontloaded that it breaks down to a low cap number? I mean, say it's something like:

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 8 6 5 4 3 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5

That's $100M total but just a $5M cap hit, and since he signs it before his 35th birthday, Lou basically has all kinds of loopholes to get rid of him whenever he wants. Right?

I mean, if there's a CBA loophole out there to make something as off the wall as this work, Lou's probably the one who wrote it in there so he could exploit it later.

Is there anything in the CBA to prevent Lou from signing Kovalchuk to some ridiculous 20-year deal so frontloaded that it breaks down to a low cap number? I mean, say it's something like:

That's $100M total but just a $5M cap hit, and since he signs it before his 35th birthday, Lou basically has all kinds of loopholes to get rid of him whenever he wants. Right?

I mean, if there's a CBA loophole out there to make something as off the wall as this work, Lou's probably the one who wrote it in there so he could exploit it later.

Something like the DiPietro deal maybe. I dunno.

I've been thinking about this as well over the past few days, but I'm pretty sure there is something that limits these kinds of contracts, or else everyone would do them with big players. Whether it be some CBA limitation, or the NHLPA throwing a fit, I'm sure there is some problem with it.

Just posted this on HF. This message is for everyone:

ALRIGHT EVERYONE

We can pull through this together. It's obvious none of us are getting any work/studying done... so I've come up with a plan.

Let's go rent out a conference room with a big looooooong wooden table and those Cisco phone systems built in. We'll order our meals from Panera and use our laptops and Blackberries to get a hold on this situation. Our dedication will not go unnoticed!

We can elect someone to be head of the group. Then if that person steps out of line or fails to do his duties we can EAT him. IT'S ABOUT SURVIVAL AT THIS POINT!!!

Don't get the Chinese involved. Judging from the Rush Hour movies, the Triads can do some serious damage. We don't want to go cobra on his ass yet.

I went to school in buffalo and there were these group of kids who claimed they were Triads because the building the lived in was called the Triad apartments. They'd walk around campus all dress alike and stuff, so one day a friend of mine and i decided to do a little investigation and had a Chinese friend of ours head to a party....

these bad asses were so hardcore, they played Super Smash Bros. for cash. that was their "crime ring".

no joke.

our friend came back crying from laughing so hard.

Edited by jagknife

I don't think so. I remember the huge blow-up from the Hossa and Pronger deals last year that the NHL front office didn't like and I assume they made void something like this in the future.