The Albany/Trenton Devils Thread

Triumph

And the meltdown continued. Albany loses 4:6 after being up 4:1 early in the 2nd. First of all they were killed by their extremely weak PK. Devils killed of only 2 of 6 Providence powerplays. But they never really found a way back into the game since Providence scored their 2nd goal.

Kowalsky-coached teams have historically been fairly mediocre on the PK - I'm sure with the amount of roster turnover in Albany, it's challenging keeping any cohesive units together as well.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been tough sledding for Albany - they've lost 5 straight now. It could be in part because New Jersey has most of their best players. Last night was a 5-2 loss to Portland where they gave up 10 power plays and only drew 2. Their next game is Tuesday at home vs. Wilkes-Barre.

A win! After six straight losses, Albany finally pulled one out, a shootout win over Syracuse.

Current record: 7-9-0

Leading Scorer: Matt Anderson (7-3-10)

Leading Goalie: Jeff Frazee (5-5, 3.11 GAA, .886 SV%)

Next up, a game in Rochester tonight.

Edited by Triumph

Since posting in this thread, the Devils have played 4 games, going 2-2 in those games. Tonight was a nice 4-3 win at home against Binghamton. It appears that both of Albany's goalies are injured - Dave Caruso has started the last two games for Albany.

Albany is currently 9-11-0, though they should get stronger if and when their players begin to return. Quarter-pole awards based on me never seeing the team:

Best player: Tie between Vlad Zharkov and Matt Anderson.

Most Surprising Player: Matt Anderson. Started the season in the ECHL, he's now the team's leading scorer. He doesn't have an NHL future, but it's always nice to have a strong organization. Mark Fayne would be second here; I thought he was not even worth having in the organization, but he's played strong in the AHL and is playing passably well in the NHL.

Most Disappointing Player: Nick Palmieri. Palmieri has only 5 points in 18 games. Michael Swift is second here, he only has 8 points and is a -10 - I thought this would be the season he would become a 65-70 point AHL player.

Edited by Triumph

• 1 month later...

Someone sticky this thread so I don't have to search for it.

Josefson Henrique and Anderson lead Albany to a 2 - 1 win today, the line combined for 12 shots on goal, Henrique leading the way with 6. Lets get Tedenby down here as well so we can have a second line.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Trenton drops 2nd straight to South Carolina, 3-2 in a shootout, so at least we get a point.

SC's got a guy with a nice cross-cultural name: Pierre-Luc O'Brien.

Trenton is currently 13-15-0-2 and third in their division.

Did I mention the division has three teams?

We're in a three way tie for last in the conference, but one solid run from improving on that as lots of teams are bunched together. By no means are we buried at this point.

Still somewhat early but they've shown no signs whatsoever of putting together a really good run. This trip killed them last year and getting a single point in three games when they were so confident heading down there (according to Dean/Prough/Ginand on the radio show) is disappointing.

Again nobody to sack up and Charleston, the last guy you want to get involved in the rough stuff ends up doing that for most of the weekend.

Vichorek, please. FINALLY way little too late. Good news for him is that Gallant is no longer with Elmira, now he can beat Vichorek every time they go wearing a Reading sweater.

Let's see how long Albany sits on 4 healthy forwards and 2 D. If CL does the right thing and sends some bodies down they should at least maybe have a shot at getting to .500, however Elmira and Reading will be tough to catch. That's some goal, maybe reaching .500.

Same deal too many guys that really shouldn't be getting ice time are being forced to play.

Edited by titans04

And the A-Devs are on a winning streak! Mckenna with the shutout, Devils win 2-0. They seem to have two good lines with Chad Wiseman getting healthy.

Adam Henrique is having a fine first professional season after a rough start. In his first 14 games, he had 4 points, but in his next 19, he has 16 points (6 G, 10 A), with 61 shots on goal. He is getting very close to earning a call-up.

Do you think Henrique could be a legitimate NHL player on next year's team or would more time in the AHL serve him well?

I haven't seen any A-Devs games this year, but I can't imagine that if he keeps up this pace that he would have any reason to stay in Albany next season.

Still somewhat early but they've shown no signs whatsoever of putting together a really good run. This trip killed them last year and getting a single point in three games when they were so confident heading down there (according to Dean/Prough/Ginand on the radio show) is disappointing.

Again nobody to sack up and Charleston, the last guy you want to get involved in the rough stuff ends up doing that for most of the weekend.

Vichorek, please. FINALLY way little too late. Good news for him is that Gallant is no longer with Elmira, now he can beat Vichorek every time they go wearing a Reading sweater.

Let's see how long Albany sits on 4 healthy forwards and 2 D. If CL does the right thing and sends some bodies down they should at least maybe have a shot at getting to .500, however Elmira and Reading will be tough to catch. That's some goal, maybe reaching .500.

Same deal too many guys that really shouldn't be getting ice time are being forced to play.

What is the deal with Vichorek? I thought he was supposed to be a fighter? Sure he’ll hit people at the expense of playing the puck but….I dunno. I miss PL3. Sure he took some dumb penalties (that landed him back in the A) but at least he’d lay a beating on someone.

Glad the roads are clear; got a game tonite. We missed the last home game – you know, the best one of the year so far? Yeah. Oh well. Here’s hoping they come out angry.

Can someone tell me who wears the "A" on the Albany team this season? I think Stephen Gionta wears the "C" and if I am wrong who does? Reason for asking is that I just ordered a Adam Henrique Albany jersey and I waanot sure if he wears the "A" or not. They told me no when I ordered the jersey. Some info on this? Thanks.

Nice brawl in Trenton tonite:

Dan Charleston scores four goals. Time runs out in regulation before he can go for 5, and in a fit of frustration slaps the puck high all the way down the other end, puck goes into the stands and nails someone. Nice job idiot, here's a game misconduct for your trouble.

Nice line brawl, horrible goaltending, they keep pressing though and tie it late, fall behind, tie it again and...my lasting memory is of this idiot being a baby and sending a missle into the home crowd. And there was a crowd tonite (scout night, don't know if he beaned a kid).

Never mind that our hottest shooter of the night is now in the showers early.

Very disappointing.

Nice brawl in Trenton tonite:

Dan Charleston scores four goals. Time runs out in regulation before he can go for 5, and in a fit of frustration slaps the puck high all the way down the other end, puck goes into the stands and nails someone. Nice job idiot, here's a game misconduct for your trouble.

Nice line brawl, horrible goaltending, they keep pressing though and tie it late, fall behind, tie it again and...my lasting memory is of this idiot being a baby and sending a missle into the home crowd. And there was a crowd tonite (scout night, don't know if he beaned a kid).

Never mind that our hottest shooter of the night is now in the showers early.

Very disappointing.

Dumbest thing I've seen in 8 yrs at a home game, slap shot laser beam that ends up drilling somebody. Grow up.

Too bad, they kept coming back despite not having a goalie again tonight they never gave up. Nice to see guys willing to drop the gloves sticking up for each other. In the end the casual fan walks out of there thinking wtf was he thinking. He couldn't have picked a worse time. Every other game this season the odds of hitting the lottery would be the same as him hitting somebody in the "crowd"

Hard to believe you could piss away a 4 goal game but he figured out how to do it.