Rebuild

justdo3043

It's a fact he has struggled mightily. It's a fact his struggles have been of such epic proportions it's made a legit star player a laughingstock and has dragged the Devils into one just as much. Do you realize his struggles have attracted just as much attention as his 2010 Summer?

Year 1 is going to be a bust. Write this one off. It's going to take an absolute hell of a 2011 to put up numbers expected of him. Or it'll take a coaching change in which we'll see his true colors.

Year 2-? is anyone's guess. I am pretty sure if he tanks in year 2, it'll be "we're only in year 2!". Right now, it is a pretty safe bet this organization is going to have to tailor itself to Kovalchuk in terms of personnel to hopefully bring the best out of him.

This is no excuse. The excuses have to end. He knows the personnel, the organization and what is expected of him.

The problem is Ilya Kovalchuk, not the New Jersey Devils. He has more talent here to work with and that's with an injury plaqued roster. Besides, a true superstar has to be able to beat you himself at times and take the game into his own hands. Sure, Kovalchuk won two games in OT and scored in a SO, but how much has he done 5-5 or in regulation? Gaborik beat the Islanders with a natural hat trick and Crosby is tearing up anyone in his path.

The truth of the matter is Ilya Kovalchuk has not impacted this franchise as a superstar player should and were coming up on a year of the trade in two months. There's more then just selling jerseys, grabbing headlines and making drooling drones out of fans. The results have to come on the ice.

That's a fact.

The whole team has "struggled mightily", is this all his fault? What would people say right now if he had 20 goals and 15 assists, but we were still in the NHL basement in the standings? I have said that yes he is struggling right now, but you cannot declare the signing a "bust" this prematurely. The movie analogy is not an excuse, it is a legit point that you fail to acknowledge. Out of curiosity, why do you edit 98% of your posts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole team has "struggled mightily", is this all his fault? What would people say right now if he had 20 goals and 15 assists, but we were still in the NHL basement in the standings?

I'm going to venture if he had those stats, they wouldn't be in the basement.

I have said that yes he is struggling right now, but you cannot declare the signing a "bust" this prematurely. The movie analogy is not an excuse, it is a legit point that you fail to acknowledge. Out of curiosity, why do you edit 98% of your posts?

It's a bust this year.

If you are accusing me of failing to acknowledge anything, it's because this isn't a movie and it does not have a scripted ending. If anyone is failing to acknowledge anything it's you and the FACTS i presented above becuase you don't want to hear them.

Out of curiousity, why do you care, Anthony?

If you go player by player, this team has pleanty of talent, it's just a very poorly constructed roster (most of our best players are LWs, all defensive d-men with no puck movers in the back etc.). Everyone seems to either be hurt or having an awful season and our cap is a mess. If Lou makes the right moves, we could make this a short dip just like the 2007 Flyers. We need to get younger and faster and LL needs to move out some of the excess salary, especially in the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman. We need to get back to the point where we have the cap room and the assets to make a major trade trade as the players we need to fill major holes become available(PMD). In that sense, we were in a pretty good position last season but I'll never understand why we decided to fill out our cap (and then some) with another LW, 2 more Defensive d-men and a bloated contract for a 3rd liner who can't skate or think the game on an especially high level while letting our best defenseman walk. What I would like to see happen:

Trade Arnott and Langenbrunner at the deadline. These two are both UFAs this summer and will have plenty of value to a contender once it gets late enough in the season that salary is no longer a major factor for the team aquiring them. Also, Lou can't be stubborn about who he deals with. For example, I think Langenbrunner would be a perfect addition to the Penguins. Would they give us a late 1st? To a lesser extent, I would also move Salvador if he ever comes back simply because he is a redundant player with White here.

If Clarkson can be moved, it should also be done. With this new contract, i'm not sure he has any trade value anymore but we cannot continue to pay bottom pairing forwards this much money, especially when we have a bunch of prospects who project to be 3rd line type players. Lou also needs to finally learn from this and under no circumstaces give Andy Greene anything more than 1.5 this summer. Just because he's getting top pairing minutes on Lou's AHL level blueline doesn't mean he should be paid like one.

I'm assuming Rolston is untradeable without giving up additional assets, so at this point we will probably just need to ride it out.

Let the Moose walk. It's nothing against him but the trend in the rest of the league is not to spend a lot on goaltending, so there are decent guys available at very low hits. If we're going to pay anything over 1 million to our backup, it better be for a younger guy who we hope can transition into the starting role as Brodeur gets older. Also, don't give a veteran backup an NTC on top of overpaying, that's just stupid

Continue to give Tedenby as much ice time as possible. When healthy, Josefson should get as much ice time as possible as well.

Get Parise under contract!

If we can go into next season with the following roster as a starting point, plus possibly our 1st round pick and any young players we get in return for moving out the guys listed above, I think we would be in pretty good shape.

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovy-Elias-Tedenby

Bottom 6: Josefson-Vasyunov-Rolston-Zharkov-Palmieri-xxx (veteran on a 1 or 2 year contract)

Volchenkov-PMD to be aquired

White-Greene (if he signs a reasonable contract without a NTC)

Tallender-Urbom or Corrente

Brodeur-xxx

edit: re-reading this, my roster isn't all that different than what we have now but I think that's part of my point, we aren't as bad as we're playing but there are a few glaring issues that absolutely need to be resolved. There has to be an infusion of young cheap talent, much of which is already in our system and the cap issue that I believe at least in the beginning of the season was eating this team like a cancer needs to be corrected. I just hope Lou doesn't give up any more assets trying to make the playoffs this season and that he stops handing out stupid contracts this summer.

Edited by Lateralous

I'm going to venture if he had those stats, they wouldn't be in the basement.

It's a bust this year.

If you are accusing me of failing to acknowledge anything, it's because this isn't a movie and it does not have a scripted ending. If anyone is failing to acknowledge anything it's you and the FACTS i presented above becuase you don't want to hear them.

Out of curiousity, why do you care, Anthony?

I said what IF he had monster stats and the team's record was bad? What would your respone to that be? I am sure it would still be all his fault too. So now, not only does he have to have good numbers, but the team has to have a good record as well. You have presented no facts other than that he is struggling, which is a given. Congratulations! "This isn't a movie and it does not have a scripted ending" has NOTHING to do with judging something only 2% of the way through it. (a sports contract, movie, WHATEVER it may be) I asked why you edit every post you make because I find it somewhat bizarre. When I was looking back at the thread all of your posts had been edited, and figured I would ask why.

lateralous - nice thinking. i would agree but would be open to an arnott return in the offseason and would also look to move tallinder. i just don't think he works here. he, thankfully, does not have an NTC so he could be moved anywhere - and i would look to teams that struggle to sign players and/or that have needs - carolina, edmonton, anaheim for for example. you could get a mid level prospect or perhaps a 2nd or 3rd. the point is - he doesn't work here so lets move him out.

andy greene - i would offer him a 1 year 1.5MM and if he doesn't want it, fine. taormina is the equivalent. and there are other options out there.

ideally, here's my starting defense next year:

Volchenkov-Erhoff(UFA)

White-Larsson(top 2 draft pick)

Bottom pairing consisting of Urbom and either Salvador if he recovers, Taromina if he shows enough on his return from injury, greene if he takes a low salary, or a solid defenseman from ufa or trade making $2mm tops.

re: emery - no thanks.

the devils will have to ask themselves if they're going to let marty continue to call the shots when his play is certainly diminishing. if so, keep picking up whatever backup you can for nothing. if not, look to a more capable guy and give him two years - there are plenty of them better than emery (niemi, nittimakki, anderson, budaj, etc). goaltending is everwhere these days.

If you go player by player, this team has pleanty of talent, it's just a very poorly constructed roster (most of our best players are LWs, all defensive d-men with no puck movers in the back etc.). Everyone seems to either be hurt or having an awful season and our cap is a mess. If Lou makes the right moves, we could make this a short dip just like the 2007 Flyers. We need to get younger and faster and LL needs to move out some of the excess salary, especially in the bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman.

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovy-Elias-Tedenby

Bottom 6: Josefson-Vasyunov-Rolston-Zharkov-Palmieri-xxx (veteran on a 1 or 2 year contract)

Brodeur-xxx

i agree with a lot of the entire post to many great left wings and defensive d-men...we really need centers hence my fantasy of Ryan Nugent as our pick for kovi's center

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovy-Nugent/Elias-Tedenby

Bottom 6: Josefson-Vasyunov-Rolston-Zharkov-Palmieri- Henrequi

Brodeur-xxx

i gave up

Kaberle is going to cost us. He has been pretty underwhelming this season with 0G 12A. If we could package Clarkson and Langs for Grabovski and a pick that may seem more reasonable. It would put us 2 mil further under the cap. Toronto really needs some grit and good defensive play. Langs can provide both and Clarkson might be a boon playing in Canada. It may spark his play.

Semin is probably out. He's making 6 mil. You may be able to sign him for 5 because of his drop in production. You also may be able to trade for him this season but that wouldn't do much good where he is a rental in a meaningless season.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Only way we get a D that is a current upgrade is to give up someone like a Parise or Zajac. Sad but true.

That or if we draft someone like Larsson or overpay in offseason for a UFA.

I cannot see anyone else that we could trade that would bring in someone we could use right now.

MAYBE clarkson or langs or zubs + mid level prospect for a 3/4 pairing D.

Only way we get a D that is a current upgrade is to give up someone like a Parise or Zajac. Sad but true.

That or if we draft someone like Larsson or overpay in offseason for a UFA.

I cannot see anyone else that we could trade that would bring in someone we could use right now.

MAYBE clarkson or langs or zubs + mid level prospect for a 3/4 pairing D.

There is a huge middle ground between what a guy like Parise would bring back and what would be an upgrade over what we're currently putting out on the ice. Obviously you can say top line puck moving defensman, or even puck movers in general aren't easy to acquire but Lou hasn't shown any evidence that he even understands how important it is to have someone in the back who can make a decent outlet pass. We've let Niedermayer, Rafalski and Martin all walk since the lockout while then dumping those responsibilities onto rookies like Oduya (remeber how awful that was for about his first 1.5 years?), Greene and Taormina who just weren't ready for it. There have been plenty of opportunities to at least grab a guy like Keith Ballard yet we keep aquiring stay at home guys.