GDT: Devils @ Flyers (1PM EST)

Marshall

Look, I make no attempt to hide my feelings about Greene. I think he is trash. You on the other hand feel differently because this is the 3rd time you have felt the need to defend him by quoting something negative I said about him.

There is no defense of this guy. He stinks. Greene was an abortion in this game. Covering his man? Are you serious? He stood there and let the Flyer go right around him to cash in a freebie. Take a penalty, I don't care. DO SOMETHING!!!! Tie up the guys stick.

It's one thing to be critical but holy sh!t, there is just no defense for Tallinder or Greene on that fourth goal. That was just awful defense no matter which way you slice it. They could have been just as effective sitting on the damn bench.

I defend anyone that is a Devil. I wont say that either of them are the best defenders in the league but they arent the worst. I understand that they are both D but what was Kovie doing on that play? He watched Briere just skate in. I do think that Greene tried harder to stop that then Tallinder did. I have watched the goal a few times and yeah Andy could have picked the stick of Danny. Its hard to get into their heads of what they were thinking and why they did what they did.

Statistically, yes their D pairing is the worst on the team D wise, and for some reason or another, Mac has kept them together. I agree with you on that part, they should be split up.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I make no attempt to hide my feelings about Greene. I think he is trash. You on the other hand feel differently because this is the 3rd time you have felt the need to defend him by quoting something negative I said about him recently.

There is no defense of this guy. He stinks. Greene was an abortion in this game. Covering his man? Are you serious? He stood there and let the Flyer go right around him to cash in a freebie. Take a penalty, I don't care. DO SOMETHING!!!! Tie up the guys stick.

It's one thing to be critical but holy sh!t, there is just no defense for Tallinder or Greene on that fourth goal. That was just awful defense no matter which way you slice it. They could have been just as effective sitting on the damn bench.

You know when I'll be ok with Greene? When he is either on a different team or if he is playing on the Devils in a much lesser role. 3rd pairing limited minutes is fine. This guy is in no way shape or form a top 4 defenseman. He's just not.

1. Andy Greene is an All Star candidate ... period.

2. You are arguing with a high-school kid .... what do you expect?

Uh oh, another lowblow to the 18 and under crowd.... :doh1:

There are plenty of young folk who have intelligent opinions and are informed fans here.

I can think MB (despite his rants sometimes) and mgnilore and such.

There is also a portion of our fanbase that has never experienced a losing team and the reaction is indicative of this.

Not trying to be insulting, but it is the way it is.

Edited by DevilinLA

There are plenty of young folk who have intelligent opinions and are informed fans here.

There is also a portion of our fanbase that has never experienced a losing team and the reaction is indicative of this.

While you may be correct to some extent, there are plenty of "older folks" stamping their feet like the 4 year old who won't get the candy they want in the local ShopRite as well.....it is sad to see what this place has become in the past couple of weeks, it really is.

See, I know where you are coming from now. However, its not just being "under 18". I am not in the group that is trashing the team even with the loosing season. I was one of the first that said ok well playoffs are a strech and most likely it wont happen at all this season, we would be luck if we broke 70 pts this season. That is just part of rooting for a professional sports team.

I defend anyone that is a Devil. I wont say that either of them are the best defenders in the league but they arent the worst. I understand that they are both D but what was Kovie doing on that play? He watched Briere just skate in. I do think that Greene tried harder to stop that then Tallinder did. I have watched the goal a few times and yeah Andy could have picked the stick of Danny. Its hard to get into their heads of what they were thinking and why they did what they did.

Statistically, yes their D pairing is the worst on the team D wise, and for some reason or another, Mac has kept them together. I agree with you on that part, they should be split up.

I'm not singling out Greene on that 4th goal. Tallinder was just as much to blame, if not more, then Greene was on that goal. They just played that whole situation so poorly. Regardless of Kovie's back checking, Greene has to negate Briere any way he can. He was the only open Flyer in the area. It was essentially a two on two play.

Since Volchenkov has been back, the Devils have steered away from the Greene Tallinder pairing. They had no choice. They're just so bad together because they are both charmin soft.

What frustrates me more then anything about Greene is that he has been in the league for about 4 years now and he still makes rookie mistakes left and right. It's just frustrating to watch. Don't get me wrong, he's not the only one I can point fingers at but the Devils were counting heavily on him this year. There is a reason why he is almost dead last in +/- this year in the entire NHL.

Edited by Sickman

I'm not singling out Greene on that 4th goal. Tallinder was just as much to blame, if not more, then Greene was on that goal. They just played that whole situation so poorly. Regardless of Kovie's back checking, Greene has to negate Briere any way he can. He was the only open Flyer in the area. It was essentially a two on two play.

Since Volchenkov has been back, the Devils have steered away from the Greene Tallinder pairing. They had no choice. They're just so bad together because they are both charmin soft.

What frustrates me more then anything about Greene is that he has been in the league for about 4 years now and he still makes rookie mistakes left and right. It's just frustrating to watch. Don't get me wrong, he's not the only one I can point fingers at but the Devils were counting heavily on him this year. There is a reason why he is almost dead last in +/- this year.

He is tied with Kovie on +/- isnt he? I could be wrong but I think he is. Anyway, yeah I am a Greene fan, and it makes it even more frustrating to watch him make dumb mistakes like this is his first pro game. Quite honestly though, none of our D comes to mind when I think who is the strongest. The whole D just lacks.....self empowerment.

I think we do have potential to be one of the strongest D's in the league, but you can only pump up players so much. They need to do it themselves also. Itll be interesting when Sal and Fraser come back.

Edited by Quinn01

What frustrates me more then anything about Greene is that he has been in the league for about 4 years now and he still makes rookie mistakes left and right. It's just frustrating to watch. Don't get me wrong, he's not the only one I can point fingers at but the Devils were counting heavily on him this year. There is a reason why he is almost dead last in +/- this year in the entire NHL.

I have been ringing this bell for 3 years now.

I have been ringing this bell for 3 years now.

To be fair, he really did show some promise last year, well at least until the team hit a wall collectively during the 2nd half. I mean his level of play was so good that it basically negated Martin's absence for the most part. 3 years in the league at the time and it's not much of a stretch to think that maybe he has finally arrived. Maybe it was just Lemaire's guidance, I don't know. The only thing I can say for sure is that he is up and down like the stock market. Maybe he is being asked to much of but one way or another he raised the bar for himself last year and he is not playing up to it now.

Eh it's all moot. Mottau was a solid d-man for us and so was Salvador. They're really missing these guys big time whether people want to admit it or not. I'd throw Martin in there as well but in all honestly this is the second year that he basically hasn't been here.

Edited by Sickman

To be fair, he really did show some promise last year, well at least until the team hit a wall collectively during the 2nd half. I mean his level of play was so good that it basically negated Martin's absence for the most part. 3 years in the league at the time and it's not much of a stretch to think that maybe he has finally arrived. Maybe it was just Lemaire's guidance, I don't know. The only thing I can say for sure is that he is up and down like the stock market. Maybe he is being asked to much of but one way or another he raised the bar for himself last year and he is not playing up to it now.

Eh it's all moot. Mottau was a solid d-man for us and so was Salvador. They're really missing these guys big time whether people want to admit it or not.

Personally, I think they are expecting him to be the biggest Dman and step up so much this season. With Martin leaving they are now looking at Andy to be the Martin of the Devils future and it may be to soon for him and hes suffering. It was like giving Patty the C and his game taking a dive.

Well...three goals from these Devils is an improvement--it's as many as they've scored in about a week. So I'm glad to see there's potential. So we couldn't beat one of the best in the East...Brodeur will be back soon to solidify the back end and we can start to turn things around.

It's not gonna happen overnight.

I defend anyone that is a Devil. I wont say that either of them are the best defenders in the league but they arent the worst.

lol, that's a pretty good grading curve...we're not the worst!

Shoot, they probably aren't the worst on the team but considering the minutes they get and the amount of time they (especially Tallinder) have been in the league they're pretty darn bad. It's okay to criticize them when they **** up, they're not your kids :lol:

I haven't seen this fourth goal yet, I have the feeling I should avoid it at all costs cause I may hang myself if I do watch it and the descriptions of just how badly Tallinder and Greene ****** up the play are even 80% true.

One thing though, I can't really fault them as a whole for the second period. Getting dominated by one of the best teams in the league in their building is going to happen from time to time.

I'm disappointed in Greene and Clarkson. Big regression.

I just can't understand how Lou gave Clarkson the contract that he did. At least Greene is cheap. The guy has some character and is a pretty strong fighter but there is no way he can live up to the numbers he is making. Poor skater, bad hockey IQ and just not worth it imo.

I try to give Lou the benefit of the doubt but I just can't defend the contracts of guys like Rolston and Clarkson. A guy like Zubrus, you really need more production to justify his contract, but he brings a lot of intangibles to the table and he is not a liability out there. I can deal with him being on our overpaid list. The other two, not so much.

Great first period sans the final 2 seconds and excellent hustle in the last minute of the game. That's the way to do it fellas you'll go far with this method.

On the bright side I noticed Kovy is trying to imroe on his back check and other defensive skills and he did score. Our powerplay finally clicked a bit better.

At the end of the game did Langs get taken down in Philly's offensive end and just lay there face down on the ice? What the heck was that?!?!

At the end of the game did Langs get taken down in Philly's offensive end and just lay there face down on the ice? What the heck was that?!?!

Richards clocked him in the mouth with his stick which sent him down on the ice and all bloody. Ofcourse, no call fallowed. :rolleyes:

Richards clocked him in the mouth with his stick which sent him down on the ice and all bloody. Ofcourse, no call fallowed. :rolleyes:

I thought he fell and just laid there in a pool of utter futility. Screw Richards and the Refs. Hope Langs is okay. But what do you expect from Mike Richards, remember when he called those guys ni$$ers during his stand up routine?

I just can't understand how Lou gave Clarkson the contract that he did. At least Greene is cheap. The guy has some character and is a pretty strong fighter but there is no way he can live up to the numbers he is making. Poor skater, bad hockey IQ and just not worth it imo. I try to give Lou the benefit of the doubt but I just can't defend the contracts of guys like Rolston and Clarkson. A guy like Zubrus, you really need more production to justify his contract, but he brings a lot of intangibles to the table and he is not a liability out there. I can deal with him being on our overpaid list. The other two, not so much.

Add to this all the NTC's.

Why so much No trade clause's ??? We are stuck with 9 NTC.

Zubrus and Volchenkov are like the only recent contracts i dont have to chew back a gag looking at or thinking about

hell even mair's deal i'm fine with.

rolston, for his complete and utter lack of production and [last year at least] piss poor conditioning, is laughing all the way to the bank and that pisses me off to no end. of course, when we signed him, i thought, a 30 goal scorer on the wild, no way he can't match that with us! :argh::evilcry:

Edited by jagknife