Silly Duck fans....

westcoastdevfan

Bottom line noone can say that Giguere had a better playoff run than Marty last year. That is one of the sillyest things I have ever heard.

There is only one number that determines how good a goalie's playoff run was:

Brodeur 16

Giguere 15

That is all you need to know. Any other statistic is just noise.

Short, simple, and sweet.

-Scott

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How am I to take that Ducks board seriously when I just read some drivel like this... talk about clueless fans!

You, the Devil fans and Marty are just lucky Patrick Roy retired. Brodeur will forever be in Roy's shadow. Maybe old Patrick will pull a Hasek and come out of retirement. If it wasn't for Patrick, Marty wouldn't even be a goaltender..

:blink::blink::blink:

As Bettman said when he made the speech, "The Conn Smythe Trophy is awarded to the most valuable player for all four rounds."

You can say that Giguere stunk in the finals. But he still won three games against the Devils forcing a seventh game. If you want to look at the playoffs as a whole, not one of the major candidates was consistent. Go round by round and look up the stats. Giguere stood out for three rounds and he had an inferior D. He stole the Detroit series and Dallas. And against the Wild, nobody was scoring on him. It's why he won.

Derek the first 2 roundw I agree...but Minn was done by the Conf finals..they had nothing left...

Look Jiggy was amazingunitl the finals...but it wasn't good enough....

to win the CUp and should not have been good enought to wint eh Conn...

just on mans opinion.

But like Derek21 said, the Conn Smythe is for the ENTIRE playoffs, but it seems to me Devils fans just want to note the Finals, not the other 3 series, so why have a Conn Smythe? Request a rule change from the NHL and make it the Stanley Cup Finals MVP then if that is what everyone is looking for..

Again why is such a big issue almost 6 months later??? I think its because a lot of Devils fans get so agitated when others may point out that Marty has a great defense that most, if not all, other goaltenders are blessed with, and winning these awards is needed to validate Marty's success. Marty is a great goaltender there is no question about that, there is no validation needed, but still maybe the people who vote for the Conn Smythe believe the system helps him more then people realize, maybe it dosent, who knows.

Like a lot of you point out how stellar Marty was in Game 7 at Ottawa, yes you are right. You want to pick out certian parts of the playoffs? How about the game Stevens was KOed early and TB got Marty for 4 goals? How great would Marty be w/o Scott Stevens for a significant period of time? Time will tell..

Giguere won the award and honestly when he won, someone who dosent like other team, I didnt think much of it, and if Marty won it, I wouldnt have blinked an eye either way.

Believe me, Id MUCH rather root for a team that wins 3 SC's then have a player on my team who wins 10 Hearts and a Forward who wins 9 Selkes....

Just get over it already!!!

But like Derek21 said, the Conn Smythe is for the ENTIRE playoffs, but it seems to me Devils fans just want to note the Finals, not the other 3 series, so why have a Conn Smythe? Request a rule change from the NHL and make it the Stanley Cup Finals MVP then if that is what everyone is looking for..

Again why is such a big issue almost 6 months later??? I think its because a lot of Devils fans get so agitated when others may point out that Marty has a great defense that most, if not all, other goaltenders are blessed with, and winning these awards is needed to validate Marty's success. Marty is a great goaltender there is no question about that, there is no validation needed, but still maybe the people who vote for the Conn Smythe believe the system helps him more then people realize, maybe it dosent, who knows.

Like a lot of you point out how stellar Marty was in Game 7 at Ottawa, yes you are right. You want to pick out certian parts of the playoffs? How about the game Stevens was KOed early and TB got Marty for 4 goals? How great would Marty be w/o Scott Stevens for a significant period of time? Time will tell..

Giguere won the award and honestly when he won, someone who dosent like other team, I didnt think much of it, and if Marty won it, I wouldnt have blinked an eye either way.

Believe me, Id MUCH rather root for a team that wins 3 SC's then have a player on my team who wins 10 Hearts and a Forward who wins 9 Selkes....

Why is it such a big issue to you that its still an issue for some Devils fans? :D

-Scott

Red, I'd agree with you if they changed the rule on how they award the trophy. It's not the NBA where they give a Finals MVP. The NHL has a rich tradition and I don't want to see that taken away like the stupid geographical divisions Bettman implemented.

It's not always about stats either. When Stevens won it in 2000, he won because he was dominant and consistent for four rounds.

But like Derek21 said, the Conn Smythe is for the ENTIRE playoffs, but it seems to me Devils fans just want to note the Finals, not the other 3 series, so why have a Conn Smythe?  Request a rule change from the NHL and make it the Stanley Cup Finals MVP then if that is what everyone is looking for..

Like a lot of you point out how stellar Marty was in Game 7 at Ottawa, yes you are right.  You want to pick out certian parts of the playoffs?  How about the game Stevens was KOed early and TB got Marty for 4 goals?  How great would Marty be w/o Scott Stevens for a significant period of time? Time will tell..

Why is it such a big issue to you that its still an issue for some Devils fans? :D

-Scott

Its an issue for me because I watch this Devils team every night from way up top in the CAA and man its cold up there and you should just all be happy there are other banners up there to keep me company!!!

o my friggin gaaaawd!!!!!!! ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! We won the stanley cup, mart got the vezina...and you are STILL bitching about the conn smythe!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why is it that big of a deal?? ok...so yah it sucks one of our guys didn't get it, and maybe we all don't agree on the fact that giggy man got it, but goly crap MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!! We have 3 stanley cups in 9 YEARS!!!!!! 3----9!! ADD IT UP!!!!!! This team is making history and just because one of our own didn't get the conn smythe some of you are still whining! yah, I was sorta pissed at first, but Giggy had an awesome run.I personally wanted nieds to get it but meh, theres always this year!! so you should just quit bitching and look at the FUTURE...not the PAST!! WE WON THE FRIGGIN CUP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! I would muuuuuuuuch rather have the cup, that the WHOLE team recieves, then a conn smythe trophy that ONE player recieves!!!!!!

yeesh....

ok im putting the dancing banana on here...just because he makes me happy!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Its an issue for me because I watch this Devils team every night from way up top in the CAA and man its cold up there and you should just all be happy there are other banners up there to keep me company!!!
-Legend Of The Clown Banner

:rofl:

Edited by Derek21

Giguere did NOT deserve the Conn Smythe over Brodeur, end of fvckING story.

I'm sick and tired of this Gigeure bullsh!t.

Did Giguere have 12 home wins breaking a record last playoff? NO

Did Giguere have SEVEN!!!! shutouts breaking a record last playoff? NO

Did Giguere have 3, COUNT THEM, 3 shutouts in the STANLEY CUP FINALS?? fvck NO HE DIDN'T

Did Giguere win the Stanley Cup? NO!

I'm sick and tired of this. Giguere and the Mighty Ducks were a FLUKE! THe media bought into all that Disney magic horsesh!t and made Giguere look like God when in fact he wasn't. WASN'T

Brodeur got screwed, he will always get screwed, but NO ONE, NO ONE can take away his 3 Stanley Cups.

In about everyone's minds except Ranger, Flyer, Leaf, and Duck fans, and the fvcking piece of sh!t media, Martin Brodeur won the Conn Smythe last year.

Read my lips people, the MEDIA won Giguere the Conn Smythe, not Giguere himself.

Send me all the god damn PM's you want about my sh!tty language throughout this post, I couldn't care less. I've held this sh!t in too long.

JS Giguere is a terrible goaltender and one have one sh!t without the media last spring.

Then why not give the Conn Smythe to Marion Gaborik?

Seriously, I could talk about this GiggyConn thing for years (and I have on the NJD USENET board). The bottom line is that Giguere had his worst series in the most important series of the postseason. He was the reason the Ducks lost and if he wasn't, then it was Keith Carney and the rest of the defense that actually carried the Ducks to the Finals, not GiggyPuff.

I could go on, but I think it's time to wrap some gifts ;)

<JESTER>

Right, NJay. Now you can tell me when Brodeur went through 10+ overtimes without being scored on, like Gigeure did last year. Then look at Gigeure's numbers for 2001-02 and 2002-03, then tell me Gigeure is a fluke.

He stopped EVERY shot he faced in overtime. I'm not saying he deserved the Conn Smythe, but the reason Brodeur didn't get it is because the Ducks offense failed to show up in New Jersey. That Game 7 shutout was one of the easiest of Marty's career. So Brodeur, Niedermayer, and Friesen split the vote, and all that was left was Gigeure.

If Brodeur had half of Gigeure's OT record last year instead of his paltry 2-4, he might have won the Conn Smythe.

I am greedy. I wanted our guys to get all the awards, especially since I thought Brodeur deserved it. To the victors go the spoils. That's all. It doesn't mean I don't value the championships. It doesn't mean I'm obsessing every day about Giggy. But in the end, I thought Marty was more valuable because without him, we don't win. Throw in the seven shutouts, too.

the problem with the conn smythe last year was that there was no clear cut devil to give it to. brodeur had a solid playoff, langs chipped in with 11 goals, friesen had 10, nieds played like a rock, madden was madden, and stevens was solid. for the ducks giguerre was pretty much the ONLY reason they got to the finals. so in all honesty who cares that jiggy got conn smythe. let him have it cause the devils got the trophy that really mattered. the only thing that angered me was that it really was a foregone conclusion before the finals that if the finals went beyond a game 5 jiggy was getting the smythe. looking back though, i don't really give two hoots.

o my friggin gaaaawd!!!!!!! ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! We won the stanley cup, mart got the vezina...and you are STILL bitching about the conn smythe!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why is it that big of a deal?? ok...so yah it sucks one of our guys didn't get it, and maybe we all don't agree on the fact that giggy man got it, but goly crap MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!! We have 3 stanley cups in 9 YEARS!!!!!! 3----9!! ADD IT UP!!!!!! This team is making history and just because one of our own didn't get the conn smythe some of you are still whining! yah, I was sorta pissed at first, but Giggy had an awesome run.I personally wanted nieds to get it but meh, theres always this year!! so you should just quit bitching and look at the FUTURE...not the PAST!! WE WON THE FRIGGIN CUP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! I would muuuuuuuuch rather have the cup, that the WHOLE team recieves, then a conn smythe trophy that ONE player recieves!!!!!!

yeesh....

ok im putting the dancing banana on here...just because he makes me happy!!! :dance::dance::dance:

nieds, this is still fresh news compared to those who bring up the Arnott debate, the Sykora debate, the Claude debate, the AlMo debate...etc etc etc...

Just be happy it's the Giguere debate instead of some of the ones I just mentioned. :)

Giguere had an amazing playoff run, NJay. You cannot take that away from him.

As of right now, you can put him in the category of one year wonders, that's damn for sure. Group him with Hedberg, Boucher, and Cechmanek. I could list goalies from earlier years, but I think you get the picture.

Where is Hedberg, Boucher, and Cechy-poo now? You have a backup netminder, a guy who can't get work in Phoenix, and a shaky netminder that got kicked out of Philly.

Giguere has sucked this year, that's for sure -- but he still has had his good moments. For example, take the Avs game. He stopped thirty-something shots against a HIGHLY offensive team that sports Selanne, Sakic and Tanguay, among other players. He IS a good netminder, but he isn't as good as the media hype.

The media looks for something to blow out of proportion ever year. Take Drury for example. How many times did we have to see his ass winning the LLWS when he was a kid? Or Bourque -- the sob story of never winning a Cup and being his last chance. Hell, in 2000 WE even were blessed with a media-hyped story: The A-Line. They loved it. Probably one of the only times that the DEVILS were shown in a positive light by ESPN.

Giggy had a hot playoff run. He's not as good as the media made him out to be, but that doesn't mean he sucks and is a terrible goalie.

I think Giggy is better than what he's done this season. It was predictable for him to come down. The target was on his back and that Ducks D just isn't that good. From what I have seen, he needs to work on his rebound control. Even in the Avs game which he stoned them, he gave up a lot of rebounds. Giguere was a good goalie the past 2-3 years but he's taken a step back. It should be interesting to see if he can recover.

I am greedy. I wanted our guys to get all the awards, especially since I thought Brodeur deserved it. To the victors go the spoils. That's all. It doesn't mean I don't value the championships. It doesn't mean I'm obsessing every day about Giggy. But in the end, I thought Marty was more valuable because without him, we don't win. Throw in the seven shutouts, too.

8, if you count the 1-0 OT Loss.

In 4 of 7 Finals games, Brodeur held the Ducks scoreless in regulation.

That is what I will always remember.

If anything, perhaps the Finals showed exactly how weak the Ducks were offensively all along the playoffs, and it may have even added to the votes for the Stay-Puff Goalie.

And now with this season, Marty has like what 11 shutouts (3 + 8) in his last 39 games (32 Reg. + 7 Finals games).

Just Awesome !

I look back on it now and I think Giguere was the right choice. First of all he wa smore then amazing in the first three rounds. He made amazing saves for lots of overtimes until his average offense could finally get a goal for him. Now in the finals where he did not play very well, he still could not get any help from his D. Now most of his goals looked like easy saves, he still amde some great saves. Giguere led the Ducks and deserved it and if we weren't Devils fans more of you would be saying the same.

I very much disagree with the idea that the Devil Fans on this board are spoiled... In my opinion, each member on this board has a passion for two things.. Hockey and the Devils... Each person can attest to the fact that our team had to go through some very tough years before we evloved into a team that is a paradigm for the league to follow... Even in times of finachial stress and extra large goalie pads... (that would be directed at giggypuff...)

I have no problem arguing that that Giggy did not deserve the "Conned" Smyth trophy because in my opinion, looking at the numbers that can be seen by following this thread, I dont feel that Giggy went all four rounds and did a great job.... He did well for three and I wont take that away, but there were players that did well all playoffs long, (and yes I am refering to devils players Niedermayer and Madden who were amazing). That is not acting spoiled, thats taking a long honest look at the numbers, and facts...

So argue away..... There is noting wrong with still fighting for what was a big mistake by the league.... IMHO (*and the opinions of others)

And NO clown boy.... Devils fans are not spoiled... we care about our team, and we are proud of their accomplishments... and screww anyone that has a problem with that!!!

How about the game Stevens was KOed early and TB got Marty for 4 goals? How great would Marty be w/o Scott Stevens for a significant period of time? Time will tell...

Didn't the Devils make a comeback in that game only to get screwed over in a BS call? And I hate to break it to you, but Giguere did not win the Conn Smythe....KOHO won it.