Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

If we make it and we had to play the Flyers in the first round...there'd be so much more of a feeling of PLAYOFFS than last year. THIS years team wants to WIN. Last years team overacheieved, got good position and walked into the playoffs. This year the Devils are the DEVILS. One game at a time!

If we make it and we had to play the Flyers in the first round...there'd be so much more of a feeling of PLAYOFFS than last year. THIS years team wants to WIN. Last years team overacheieved, got good position and walked into the playoffs. This year the Devils are the DEVILS. One game at a time!

Yeah plus we don't have a bum captain who doesn't care about winning anymore and who stirs up sh!t with the coach. :whistling:

So today we need to root for a couple of bad teams to win. We want:

-Edmonton to beat Atlanta

-Ottawa to beat Toronto

-Tampa Bay to beat Florida

And of course we're going to smoke the Canes! Let's go Devils! :koolaid:

i enjoy this thread, but it's very difficult to worry each day about what other teams are doing.

if the devils lose more than 4 games, they're done - it's almost that simple.

I see your point. I guess it's not for everyone.

I think I like paying attention to what the other teams are doing because it gives me something to focus on while the Devils are still in the race. It's almost like the playoffs are happening right now. And it's exciting.

I think I like paying attention to what the other teams are doing because it gives me something to focus on while the Devils are still in the race. It's almost like the playoffs are happening right now. And it's exciting.

I agree with this. Besides, after the first half of this season was pretty much unwatchable, I find it fun to watch how other teams are doing and how we match up against them. Previous years I watched the scoreboard to see where we would land in the conference, now it's a big "if" we make it with each game being crucial (not just nice) to win. While it's unfortunate we need help from other teams to get in, at least we're digging ourselves out of the hole and the team and the fans are having fun again. IMO, better than having no interest in other teams because we have no shot at all.

I see your point. I guess it's not for everyone.

oh make no mistake - that is EXACTLY what is happening right now and you can tell the devils players (and the fans) are acting the same way. and just like the playoffs, the devils can afford 4 losses before their season is over.

i enjoy this thread, but it's very difficult to worry each day about what other teams are doing.

if the devils lose more than 4 games, they're done - it's almost that simple.

most of the chance the devils have comes from the teams ahead of them faltering. if carolina or buffalo runs off 5 or 6 games in a row, the devils are done, regardless.

most of the chance the devils have comes from the teams ahead of them faltering. if carolina or buffalo runs off 5 or 6 games in a row, the devils are done, regardless.

Faltering?? Come on that isnt necessarily the case and you know it. if the Devils stay red hot and get to 90 points then the other teams dont have to falter they need to pretty much stay on their current paces, the 7th and 8th place teams right now are projected around 88 - 90 points, please dont be such a downer... Try to stay positive!! Seems like after every win you find a way to say how they wont make it instead of talking how they CAN make it!! I dont want to debate you, but really since we started this whole push you have constantly talked about how little of a chance they have. Yes it is a LONG LONG road to get there, but try to get on their train instead of trying tro derail it...

If you feel like they arent going to make it then start another thread about how they arent but this thread is for POSITIVES!

Edited by PaDevsFan

Faltering?? Come on that isnt necessarily the case and you know it. if the Devils stay red hot and get to 90 points then the other teams dont have to falter they need to pretty much stay on their current paces, the 7th and 8th place teams right now are projected around 88 - 90 points, please dont be such a downer... Try to stay positive!! Seems like after every win you find a way to say how they wont make it instead of talking how they CAN make it!! I dont want to debate you, but really since we started this whole push you have constantly talked about how little of a chance they have. Yes it is a LONG LONG road to get there, but try to get on their train instead of trying tro derail it...

If you feel like they arent going to make it then start another thread about how they arent but this thread is for POSITIVES!

I don't think he's derailing the thread or being overly pessimistic... the chances of us making the playoffs are very low. You can be optimistic and hope that they'll make it and still keep a level-head and realize that the odds are greatly stacked against us. Even if we do keep winning at a ridiculous clip, if one of the teams above us gets hot as well, it will make it very difficult if not impossible for us to get in. We just have to hope that everyone else plays about .500 or lower and we keep playing at about .850 or better.

the devils' playoff odds according to hockey-reference: 0.2%

the devils' playoff odds according to sportsclubstats: 0.2%

now if i were getting 500 to 1 on the devils making the playoffs i'd bet that all day long. i think the odds are higher than that for sure.

in most of the plausible scenarios where the devils make the playoffs, it's at 87 or 88 points. at 92 points it is a virtual impossibility. if the sabres or 'canes run off 5 or 6 wins in a row, their pace will be at 92 points or higher.

i am not derailing the thread at all. i am being realistic. the other teams have to lose a lot for us to have a chance. if you don't want to acknowledge that and keep thinking that NJ will win every single game, more power to you. i believe this team is pretty decent and is much better than the teams above it, but that's not going to be enough. they're going to have to play well just about every night, and they're going to have to get the bounces as well.

not to mention: this is the rooting interests thread. this thread is all about the teams above us losing. yet i'm derailing the thread by posting about how the teams above us have to lose.

Edited by Triumph

I don't think he's derailing the thread or being overly pessimistic... the chances of us making the playoffs are very low. You can be optimistic and hope that they'll make it and still keep a level-head and realize that the odds are greatly stacked against us. Even if we do keep winning at a ridiculous clip, if one of the teams above us gets hot as well, it will make it very difficult if not impossible for us to get in. We just have to hope that everyone else plays about .500 or lower and we keep playing at about .850 or better.

Instead of trying to find the bright spots he seems to try and find the dull spots especially in the chat rooms. I dont have any problems with him but he always seems to not stay on the positive side. I started this thread knowing how long of a shot it was for them to make it, and I even stated that on a few occasions. But now is not the time to talk about how long of a shot it is, because even if they dont make it this run has been down right magical. I mean 14 - 1 - 2 (and counting) who in their right minds would have predicted this after the abysmal start they had. Cant we just ride with that and stay POSITIVE?? it is time to keep the positives flowing and keep this thread full of them. I dont care if a team wins a few games. The bottom line is Carolina has been .500 its last 10, the Rags have been under .500 the last 10 games, the Thrashers the same. We just need to win and get to 90 and let everything else fall where it falls...

:gd::gd::gd:

the devils' playoff odds according to hockey-reference: 0.2%

the devils' playoff odds according to sportsclubstats: 0.2%

in most of the plausible scenarios where the devils make the playoffs, it's at 87 or 88 points. at 92 points it is a virtual impossibility. if the sabres or 'canes run off 5 or 6 wins in a row, their pace will be at 92 points or higher.

i am not derailing the thread at all. i am being realistic. the other teams have to lose a lot for us to have a chance. if you don't want to acknowledge that and keep thinking that NJ will win every single game, more power to you. i believe this team is pretty decent and is much better than the teams above it, but that's not going to be enough. they're going to have to play well just about every night, and they're going to have to get the bounces as well.

I could care less about hockey reference and sportsclubstats

I am curious what their odds were on the Devils winning 14 of their last 17 after the start they had??? Probably about .2 % as well

And yes you are derailing it, if you want to post what little chance they have and how what they are doing isnt good enough to get them in (which you just stated) then start another thread for that thats all I am saying. And why cant you acknowledge that other teams arent going to as you say have to lose alot of games for them to make it. They are going to have to do what they have been doing and just not win a bunch and stay as they are mediochre which is what Carolina is, and the Rags, and the Thrashers. These teams are what they are pretty much .500 teams and if they play like that and the Devils go 19 - 5 then they get to 90 points then we have an excellent chance. A few games ago they had to go 22 - 5 which seems a whole lot worse than 19 - 5. I never said they will win every game and in fact I said they can lose 4 - 5 more games Just win 19 thats all!!

Pa: i edited my post.

There's an X% chance the Devils get to 90 points or higher. There's a X+Y% chance the Devils get to 89 points or higher. There's an X+Y+Z% chance the Devils get to 88 points or higher. You get the idea. The other teams losing ahead of us and moving the pace down is the best shot we've got - we probably get 88 points twice as often as we get 90.

You could've just let that post go, since it wasn't negative at all, and it was the exact opposite of a derail (i was explaining to sundstrom the purpose of the thread!) but instead you had to call me out. I am just as excited about this team winning as you are, and I'm excited about the prospect of upsetting probability.

I am curious what their odds were on the Devils winning 14 of their last 17 after the start they had??? Probably about .2 % as well

That doesn't matter at all, and in fact helps my point.

Edited by Triumph

Pa, you are basically in agreement with Tri. All he is saying is that if one of the teams that you mentioned are "mediocre" did happen to go on a streak and win 5 or 6 in a row, we would probably be out of it even if we kept winning. You are right in thinking that if they play mediocre like we hope they will, then we will have a small chance. But going 19-5 is not easy, that's winning at an .800 level.

Anyway.

Atlanta is up 2-1 over Edmonton after two periods. Byfuglien and Ladd put them up 2-0 and Paajarvi scored with 5:00 left in the second to pull Edmonton within 1. Edmonton is 3-28-5 this year when trailing after 2. Hopefully they can stage a comeback.

Pa: i edited my post.

There's an X% chance the Devils get to 90 points or higher. There's a X+Y% chance the Devils get to 89 points or higher. There's an X+Y+Z% chance the Devils get to 88 points or higher. You get the idea. The other teams losing ahead of us and moving the pace down is the best shot we've got - we probably get 88 points twice as often as we get 90.

You could've just let that post go, since it wasn't negative at all, and it was the exact opposite of a derail (i was explaining to sundstrom the purpose of the thread!) but instead you had to call me out. I am just as excited about this team winning as you are, and I'm excited about the prospect of upsetting probability.

That doesn't matter at all, and in fact helps my point.

Good at least you are excited about how they are playing. And the main point here is this thread is and was dedicated to the "improbable run" not what little % they still have to make it. That is my point, and the fact is my statement about the prospects of them going on this tear doesnt help your point all it does is say that oddsmakers are wrong all the time!

And I didnt call you out, I just get tired of hearing you say things that can be constued as negative. Why cant you just let this thread be positive and me be positive. I dont want to think about them getting 88 points and "not making it" as you say. I want to think of this team giving me the enjoyment they have the second part of the season thats all! And if that includes a magical conclusion to the season and a playoff berth than even better.