Devils-3 Blue Jackets-2

Kyydax

Can't comment much on the game being that I was at work and had to listen to it on the radio.

A few things:

-Power play obviously sucks.

-Grande-Pierre scoring a goal on Brodeur? Yeah, yeah I know, it was a "laser" shot......

-Another clutch Elias goal. He's turning into Johnny Mac. :)

-Rangers get smoked 6-0 by a horrible Pens team. Holik -2 and Kasparaitis -4. Ahhhhh, life is good. So much for their annual saviors this year, eh? Gotta love it.

-Danton's 1st NHL goal.

-Get rid of Pandolfo. Please.

Marty was good tonight. Yes, it is true, Grande-Pierre split the D, (a la pavel) went coast to coast, & shined that baby up, roofed it. Nice goal! Marty had the bottom covered. On this play, stevens looked almost as stupid as he did when Sakic "deked" him out of his athletic supporter.

Do you expect marty to save everybody's ass, @ every screw-up??

vince

This time Kyddax is right: Grande-Pierre's shot should not have had a prayer. It was a good wrister to be sure, but considering the range and angle, Marty should have plugged up the holes. He had a solid night otherwise though, and believe it or not he had some good saves. :rolleyes:

Another thing Kyddax is right about: Our pp sucks big time. I don't know how to fix powerplays but I sure hope Burns does. With the obstruction rules special teams become more important, and our Penalty Kill hasn't even been that impressive. Fishler was ripping the powerplay during the intermission. If we don't fix it soon we're going to have problems.

Good things: Mike Danton Mike Danton Mike Danton. Gomez has 2 points in two games despite his 'slow start' Oleg Tverdovsky broke up a 3 on 1; very impressive for a player whos supposed to be an 'offensive defenseman' overall our defense was good, except for when Stevens got beaten like Tina Turner after Ike had a bad day by Pierre. Nice open ice hit by Colin White. We had some shorthanded chances which kept them on their toes, and our pk seemed to get better as the game went on.

:blink: weird night for Stevens huh? Actually he did elicit the first reaction from the soon-to-be devils fan - I was so shocked when he let the puck go out of the attack zone that one time :o that she rolled over. It wasn't even like he looked tired or anything :huh:

sigh...a great night for oglage but not such a great night for singing his praises heeheehee! :rolleyes:

I went right to my husbands game after and he scored one for me!! He looked pretty derned tired though -- I got there for the last 15 minutes.

Ok, speed improved but not to the level of other teams I have watched. As someone said lets wait 15 games, but one would thing it would show since that's what they worked on in pre-season. I really don't believe we will see a fast team all season one with fast skating and good passing and shot on goal because the talent isn't there on offense except a few.

Gomez and Elias have speed. Friessen has speed, but he must show much more.

Did Niewy and Langer play?

Stevens, what's to say, he shot his load in the 1st game. Did someone nail his skates to the ice on GP's moves. He isn't what he used to be and it doesn't look like he can sustain constantly good performance. You say a off night, too many over past season. Bad contract deal Lou made. TRADE

Dano, well he needs help, will play well on senior team.

Tver super tonight.

Gomez all hustle.

This could be a one line team, Elias, Gomez and Brylin.

Then it will be a question if they can score enough and other teams will use SIZE to kill them.

Devils win. Marty had a good night. The goal he let in (very hard shot) He was watching Stevens to the SLEEP SKATE on the second goal.

Devils win that's what counts. They were also consistant, even thought the consist was only fair play.

Good thing they are playing weak teams, it build their confidence, however they have to watch overconfidence and believing they can beat all the teams, while true for a given night not for the full season.

its very obvious that our pp sucks hard, very hard

i thought marty was solid, maybe second goal had some question to it

jefferdanton is slowly becoming my second favorite devil

and gionta was THIS CLOSE from scoring an empty netter

owell good game nonetheless

and rangers still suck :clap:

Marty was good tonight. Yes, it is true, Grande-Pierre split the D, (a la pavel) went coast to coast, & shined that baby up, roofed it. Nice goal! Marty had the bottom covered. On this play, stevens looked almost as stupid as he did when Sakic "deked" him out of his athletic supporter.

Do you expect marty to save everybody's ass, @ every screw-up??

vince

all i know is i dont ever want to see Stevens and Daneyko out there on the same sh!t ever again. Talk about slow and pathetic.

This time Kyddax is right: Grande-Pierre's shot should not have had a prayer. It was a good wrister to be sure, but considering the range and angle, Marty should have plugged up the holes. He had a solid night otherwise though, and believe it or not he had some good saves. :rolleyes:

Well, even though they're 2-0-0, that's 2 stoppable goals given up by Brodeur in 2 games.

This team will not be .500 if Brodeur, as is his custom, allows one stoppable goal a game.

0 for 14 on PP in 2 games? :puke:

This team won't make the playoffs if that continues along with Brodeur's habit of allowing 1 stoppable goal a game.....

You think Daniel Alfredsson's deflection goal was stoppable?  They only showed a poor angle on tv, so I couldn't tell, but it looked like a legit goal to me.

It was not a "bad/soft" goal in the true sense of the word, say, like Grande-Pierre's goal last night. It was more of Brodeur making the wrong decision on the play.

Deflection goals, for the most part, the goalie has no chance on unless the puck hits them.

However, my beef with the Alfredsson goal is that Brodeur made the wrong play.

He dropped down to his knees when he should not have(which is par for the course with him).

If Brodeur had stayed on his feet, the deflection would have hit him in the shoulder without Brodeur having to do so much as blink.

But no, for some inexplicable reason the guy drops to his knees on a shot that is coming from beyond the top of the circles and is not screened. There is no reason for it, it is the wrong play, and a goal was scored as a result.

Sue:

One question for Burns - wtf was Pando doing out on the PP last night?

Well, it's not like he was any worse than anyone else we put on the PP, anyway :P

Not scoring a goal after two games and 15 or so power plays is one thing; this PP isn't even creating chances, though, that's what concerns me. What was it last night, like 10 PP attempts and 5 shots total on them?

At least we're 2-0. I'll take that. Amazingly enough this is the first time since the ill-fated '95-'96 season that we've started 2-0.

Stevens, what's to say, he shot his load in the 1st game. Did someone nail his skates to the ice on GP's moves. He isn't what he used to be and it doesn't look like he can sustain constantly good performance. You say a off night, too many over past season. Bad contract deal Lou made. TRADE

:angry: I dispair of you GR! He was not slow this game you dope. It was very uncharacteristic Stevens, true enough. That is precisely why I wouldn't even begin to worry were I you (or were I I and I am I afterall), it's one game and we won anyhow.

I'm only annoyed at you because you really have no clue or thought as to what you're looking at when you see Stevens. You latch on to some pre-formed concept usually garnered by popular opinion. He just wasn't slow yesterday - no one skated around him - he was just off is all - his hockey intuition went awry! You can hate Stevens as much as you want Just look at what's going on and come back with a real and true appraisal is all I ask, not something you've fixated on. KY at least has thought through why he hates Marty and has his examples for every game. Even if he's unreasonable by most peoples reckoning, he still poses a credible arguement.

Pk don't go nuts. I didn't say he was slow in the quote from me, you posted. I said someone nailed his skates to the ice, meaning he didn't move, think, play the game of defense, or be a professional NHL defenseman. He stunk period. Like he has in so many games since the playoffs of 2001 He's over the hill.

Stevens mind is playing games with him, he thinks he has it but doesn't.

Trade him, give the "C" to Elias, lets get a real captain on the Devils for a change.

Then PK you can follow him into retirement.

Lou made a bad deal.

Here is a question. Who wants him?? What team would take him today?

I know you are infatuated with him, that doesn't mean he has to be a player on the Devils. Why sacrafice the team for him?

regarding pp. it has not been as terrible as the 0-14 says. there is a definate plan out there: it's point shots. and they've gotten a good amount of them. but, there either being deflected wide or blocked by two strong penalty kills. stevens on the pp is awful. he's made several bad decisions there in the first two games. Use T-vo and another winger back there for the second combo (but who?).

pp1: Elias-Newy-Langer-Neider-Rafi

pp2-Brylin-Gomez-Freisen-Madden-T-vo. freisen at the point w/ t-vo?

if they played zyuzin more often, they wouldn't have to play stevens on the PP. but, out of respect i guess, i don't think they could've benched daneyko in the first game and the home opener.

i couldn't watch the blue jackets game but i'm surprised gionta isn't getting more power play ice time. i was under the impression that he is supposed to be one of the better shooters on the team.

Oh GR you love it when I go nuts! :angry: --- ;)

Anyhow -- fair enough. You didn't say he was slow - I just read what I wanted to :D You did see what I saw - he was just off mentally.

But see, with all due respect & realizing that the onset of senility brought about your own retirement - Stevens isn't quite THAT old yet. :P I think this one game for Stevens was just a metal lapse not a permanent old age thing. To my way of thinking it was more a sign of his revitalization -- so HA!

:evil:

OK it's been about 24 hours time for me to let this go - time to look toward Friday - where I will watch on my fat can securely in my own home -- :burn:

Wow.

Didn't see the game but it's hard to believe that Stevens was as bad as some are saying.

On the Grande-Pierre goal, it sounded like he just made a move at the blue line to get a clear shot on Brodeur, not that he faked Stevens out of his jock and got in for a breakaway.

Regardless, Brodeur should have stopped the shot......

I don't know if you're kidding or not but the shot from Grand-Pierre was great. He split the defense and while leaning around the defense sent roofed the shot from his backhand. Very nice goal. Grand-Pierre looked good to pot about 50 goals this year from that play. lol

-Scott

I don't know if you're kidding or not but the shot from Grand-Pierre was great. He split the defense and while leaning around the defense sent roofed the shot from his backhand. Very nice goal. Grand-Pierre looked good to pot about 50 goals this year from that play. lol

-Scott

Now, take off the red and black glasses and watch the goal again.

It was a horrendous goal that should never been allowed.

Oh ya, I forgot complementing another player for making a good play is bias towards the Devils. Didn't you say you didn't see the game? Oh thats right, I did, so I saw the play and real time Grand-Pierre made a good move and a tremendous shot. But I guess your initial opinion based on not seeing the play carries more weight than someone who did see the play. Sometimes players with NHL skills will make good plays. It happens.

-Scott