Give Me A Break

GR

What's next???

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/news/st...psp?cat=51404&i

Hockey

Friday, Oct. 18, 2002

NHL to Pull Team 'Sniper' Caps

WASHINGTON (AP) - The NHL is planning to stop selling team hats known as ``Sniper Caps'' because of the deadly shootings in the Washington, D.C., area.

In hockey lingo, a ``sniper'' refers to a team's top goal scorer. But with a real life sniper still on the loose in their region, the Washington Capitals asked the league to remove the reference to the word from the team hat sold on the NHL's online store.

The Web site listed for sale a Washington Capitals ``Navy Sniper Fitted Cap.'' Such hats were offered for all 30 teams.

``The term is part of the hockey vernacular,'' NHL spokesman Brian Walker said Thursday. ``Fans and media use it to refer to a top goal-scorer. That being said, it's been pulled from the Capitals' team store, and is in the process of being pulled from the other 29 NHL teams' stores.''

The Capitals promised to get the name changed after hearing about the product's name.

``Certainly, that phrase has a little bit different connotation in our market,'' said Capitals spokesman Kurt Kehl, who was alerted to the presence of the sniper caps on the Web site by The Associated Press. After speaking with NHL representatives, Kehl explained the real meaning of the caps' name.

``Apparently, it was meant to play on the phraseology of a very good player in the NHL being referred to as a 'sniper' or a 'sharpshooter.' Every team has their `sniper,''' Kehl said. ``That's how they came up with this phrase for this line of hats.''

The Pittsburgh Penguins had a ``Black Sniper Fitted Cap.'' The Colorado Avalanche had one in blue. Fans of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks could buy a purple version of the sniper fitted cap.

Since Oct. 2, the sniper has shot to death nine people and wounded two others in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. The killer has eluded a massive manhunt.

Several people on the streets of downtown Washington who were shown the Web page with the sniper hat were shocked.

``For right now it's kind of horrible and disrespecting the people who lost their lives, and I hope that they do change it,'' Elnur Veliev said.

``I guess it's probably a good idea to take it off, because right away I think of the sniper guy going around shooting,'' said Richard Nishimura, who described himself as a hockey fan.

Associated Press Writer Candace Smith contributed to this report.

I especially loved this "man on the street" response:

"For right now it's kind of horrible and disrespecting the people who lost their lives, and I hope that they do change it,'' Elnur Veliev said.

What a jackass. Does he/she/it really think the NHL put that product out specifically to capitalize (no pun intended) on the shootings? Wake up, people! The world does NOT revolve around Washington DC! Where's Bill Maher when you REALLY need him?!

Blame the liberal, non-committal, baby boomer/60's flower children crowd for this one too - I can't wait until they all end up in old age homes so we can start undoing all the "good deeds" of their generation.

People need to get a life. You can't make everyone happy all of the time. Stop being so sensitive and stop pushing your opinions down everyone else's throat. It really sucks that we live in a country where a vocal few force the leaders to bend over for them with total disregard for the majority of us. Please, can we get some leaders in office and authority positions who have some balls already?

aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Blame the liberal, non-committal, baby boomer/60's flower children crowd for this one too - I can't wait until they all end up in old age homes so we can start undoing all the "good deeds" of their generation.

People need to get a life.  You can't make everyone happy all of the time.  Stop being so sensitive and stop pushing your opinions down everyone else's throat.  It really sucks that we live in a country where a vocal few force the leaders to bend over for them with total disregard for the majority of us.  Please, can we get some leaders in office and authority positions who have some balls already?

Being pretty general about the generation you mention...I take offense, not that you would care...not everyone was what you portray them to be...stereotyping is not becoming of you rbdf.

I have a life...as for being sensitive what is Gen-X providing? The "I" am entitled to whatever I want because I am just entitled and I don't need to earn a damn thing? Shall we lump all of them together since the sun rises and falls because they say so? Shall we adore the self-canonization of them all as they bid us to? Look at me, adore me, I love me and everyone should too and oh btw I don't have to earn anything because I am entitled to live in the lifestyle I am accustomed to compliments of that combined baby boomer/60's flower child generation, those commie loving, hippie punks.

Talk about getting a life...all this political correctness comes from the current generation not 2 before them...try not to generalize and take a better look at what consitutes baby boomers...many are already retired or damn close to it...I think your anger is one generation too early.

aaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

also...I agree with your 2nd paragraph...imagine...one of those liberal, non-committal, baby boomer/60's flower children crowd...imagine that :o

If you don't like this then tuff...see what happens when you clump everyone together? also...my generation doesn't give a rat's butt about what other people think...we have no need to be part of some in crowd...we think independently and not as a group because we were taught to think, make decisions and live with their outcomes and take responsibility for our actions <_<

People need to get a life. You can't make everyone happy all of the time. Stop being so sensitive and stop pushing your opinions down everyone else's throat. It really sucks that we live in a country where a vocal few force the leaders to bend over for them with total disregard for the majority of us. Please, can we get some leaders in office and authority positions who have some balls already?

:clap::clap::clap:

I don't know what group I belong to, but the trend, or al least the trend the media is poytraying, is becomming more and more hyper-sensitive and too politically correct.

In fact, people who are too politically correct are in fact treading on my right to have views and opinions.

So what, it was called a sniper cap for the past 4-5 years. Wait, don't call in a cap either, because that is slang for a bullet. Wait, don't use NHL, because people may confuse the N for the N in NRA.

People should just shut the f up, take responsibility for their actions, and don't worry what everyone else has or is doing.

as for being sensitive what is Gen-X providing? The "I" am entitled to whatever I want because I am just entitled and I don't need to earn a damn thing?

I hear you dew...but I can't resist blaming the generation that rbdf is refering to for creating the Gen-Xers! As parents they offered up not guidance but "Hey man -- if it feels good do it - as long as you're not hurting anyone :) " Of course the little bastards think "HEY who cares if I'm a lazy slob and contributing nothing I'm not hurting YOU any! How is my feeling sorry for myself and being rediculously self indulgent hurting you???" And you know it's very difficult to articulate how a pandemic bad attitude hurts society so there's no use arguing about it anyhow!

And we are all generalizing. Everyone is an a$$hole but I still love humanity -- our a$$holishness is part of what makes us human. It just sucks when we get hearded into our little misguided groups because some has an agenda and knows how manipulate the masses.

I hear you dew...but I can't resist blaming the generation that rbdf is refering to for creating the Gen-Xers!  As parents they offered up not guidance but "Hey man -- if it feels good do it - as long as you're not hurting anyone   :)  "  Of course the little bastards think "HEY who cares if I'm a lazy slob and contributing nothing I'm not hurting YOU any!  How is my feeling sorry for myself and being rediculously self indulgent hurting you???"  And you know it's very difficult to articulate how a pandemic bad attitude hurts society so there's no use arguing about it anyhow!

And we are all generalizing.  Everyone is an a$$hole but I still love humanity -- our a$$holishness is part of what makes us human.  It just sucks when we get hearded into our little misguided groups because some has an agenda and knows how manipulate the masses.

I understand where you are coming from PK but imo herein lies the problem...having to place blame rather than being accountable for one's actions...there are these tags put on "generations" but to be honest it was a generation or so after these generations causing this unhealthy attitude...not baby boomers...they are a product of post WWII...born in 40's to mid 50's...then hippies/yippies...yippies were not very peaceful...then yuppies and so it continues...perhaps they got different names...I gave up because when it boiled down to who can one blame it seemed fruitless...dew you recall that Family Circus comic that ran every so often and the mom would ask who broke this and the answer was a lil character named not me??? One may be taught bad habits however the adult in them (if it ever arises) should be able to tell the difference...btw...I am not arguing...may seem askew but I am agreeing with you, just venting a tad...just tired of the blame game :saddevil:

The saddest part is those that blame the so called boomers/hippies and want them gone forget they are probably referring to their parents, aunts, uncles and possibly grandparents....how nice to look forward to dumping them in a old age home and have them out of your hair and heaven forbid they leave them no inheritance which btw is a gift not an entitlement :saddevil::evilcry:

Man, I'd vote for Clinton again. Let's rescind term limits so we can get Clinton back. 8 years of fiscal responsibility (remember that balanced budget thing? Well it's gone now, hello multi-billion dollar National debt), no war, no terrorism on U.S. soil, no Enron and PG&E bailout. I've got to say, the Clinton years were good to me.

Also, this whole baby boomers versus gen-x thing is a bit of an advertising market pigeon hole don't you think? I mean in terms of statistical population models, people are born every year. It's not like group A reaches adulthood simultaneously and has kids creating group B. Are you part of the same generation as the people four years behind you in school? How about five years ahead? And are they in the same group as those five ahead of them? You can draw the line at ten years if you like, but you still have people on both ends who are just as close to those ahead or behind as they are to the group in the middle. It's just way too complicated to whack the whole population into two or three rough groups and say, these are their values. You don't get any meaningful information.

And honestly, phraseology goes in and out of style all the time. It's just a stupid hat. It's just as likely that they weren't selling many to begin with, so it's an easy P.R. move to take them out of the stores.

Fiscal responsibility thanks to Bush Sr. And as Clinton was leaving office America went in recession again. Thanks to W. Bush who saved america's economy , by loweing taxes.

I noticed you said "no terrorism on U.S. soil"

SO terrorism anywhere else is good?

How about the USS Cole? REMEBER

Oh yea, Clinton really did alot about terrorism. Does the fact that 9/11 was being planned out while Clinton was in office any justification. Or how about bombing an Asprin factory in Sudan to divert attention from the whole Monica Scandal. Clinton could've got Bin Laden a LONG time ago.

NO WAR? How about Somolia? Black Hawk Down? See the movie? I think you should see it, unibrow. Thanks to your boy Clinton, dozens of Americans lost their lives in a place they had no busness being in the first place, thanks to Clinton

How bout Bosnia?

Clinton years were good to me.

Tell that to our boys in Somolia in 1993.

Oh yeah, great Clinton years. :rolleyes:

Seriosuly, if you would vote for Clinton again, you gotta be a communist, cause that was what clinton is. If he said in office anylonger, America would be ruined

Not to mention : WACO texas, or the Elian Gonzalez thing. There are so many...

I think it's ridiculous to pull the caps--I understand the thinking to try to be sensitive but I am tired of liberal thinking being shoved down my throat as well--"politically correct thinking" that is more like censorship/dictatorship of sorts. If you don't agree with "them", you are automatically insensitive and wrong. Since when does everyone do everything to please the masses? As with the title for the second LOTR book--The Two Towers--that was causing some stir because of September 11th. Well Tolkien wrote the book years ago, that is the title. Some of these whiny activists need to get the board out of their asses and lighten up. Life is too short.