The Fans

95Crash

Marty's the best fvcking goaltender of all time! He's on our team! I'd rather we chanted Brodeur's name too much than hardly at all. You can tell that Henrik is eating that sh!t up every time he hears his name. Brodeur needs to hear it too -- even more so.

Brodeur made a sweet glove save in the second period (I think) last night that stopped play -- and killed Rangers momentum. That would've been the perfect time to chant his name. But I didn't hear anything. Not even coming from the upper corners.

I know it's been popular in recent years, but I hate "Marty's Better!" I'm more interested in trying to get Marty going than in mocking the other goalie. I prefer "MAR-TIN!" or "Marty!" But maybe that's just me. At this point, I'll join in on anything that might get him going.

As far as the Rangers fans mocking Brodeur in our own building. The best way to cancel that out is to boo. I know that might sound a little lame to you guys, but boos usually drown out everything. You ever hear it on TV sometimes when some fans are booing? It sounds like everyone is booing, even when it is really only a small portion of the crowd.

All I know is we got to chant/cheer/yell/scream something. I'm hating reading all these Devils quotes in the papers and on TV where they say they hear the "Let's Go Rangers" chants and the "Maarty" "Maarty" chants at the Rock.

We gotta be better organized. I wish I knew how to do it myself.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we need scoreboard help to get our fans going? If you're at a professional sporting event, you shouldn't need a scoreboard or even a score to get you going. Ask fans of the KC Royals or any other team that hasn't been good in years. You're all FANS, it's your job to support the team -- not to only cheer when they're playing well or when a scoreboard tells you to. That's what home ice/field/court advantage is all about.

This isn't meant as an attack on anybody on this board. The quietness of our arena(s) has bothered me for years. If you pay for a ticket to a game, why wouldn't you do everything you can to be loud and try to create some form of advantage for your team? Isn't that the point of going? If you want to comfortably enjoy a game without being bothered by the people around you, watch from home!

And I disagree with the booing theory to cancel out the other team's chants. Just chant something similar, yet different. If they do "Let's go Rangers", we should do "Let's Go Devils." It cancels the other one out, and the place is still loud without it sounding like any players on the ice are getting booed (it kinda sounds like "Let's Go Blah Blah"' on TV, which is better than "Let's Go Rangers" intersperced with boos). When they did "Henrik" I yelled "Big Pads." When they yelled "You Can't Beat Us" I yelled "Go Bang Trannies." Cancel them out while still keeping the place loud. The players shouldn't hear boos just because there's a mix of fans in the building.

Wow, we need scoreboard help to get our fans going? If you're at a professional sporting event, you shouldn't need a scoreboard or even a score to get you going. Ask fans of the KC Royals or any other team that hasn't been good in years. You're all FANS, it's your job to support the team -- not to only cheer when they're playing well or when a scoreboard tells you to. That's what home ice/field/court advantage is all about.

This isn't meant as an attack on anybody on this board. The quietness of our arena(s) has bothered me for years. If you pay for a ticket to a game, why wouldn't you do everything you can to be loud and try to create some form of advantage for your team? Isn't that the point of going? If you want to comfortably enjoy a game without being bothered by the people around you, watch from home!

And I disagree with the booing theory to cancel out the other team's chants. Just chant something similar, yet different. If they do "Let's go Rangers", we should do "Let's Go Devils." It cancels the other one out, and the place is still loud without it sounding like any players on the ice are getting booed (it kinda sounds like "Let's Go Blah Blah"' on TV, which is better than "Let's Go Rangers" intersperced with boos). When they did "Henrik" I yelled "Big Pads." When they yelled "You Can't Beat Us" I yelled "Go Bang Trannies." Cancel them out while still keeping the place loud. The players shouldn't hear boos just because there's a mix of fans in the building.

I think a non-fan watching the game last night would be confused who the "dangers" and the "revils" were.

devils fans are quiet because most new york area fans are quiet. the tickets are priced too high for younger people to go to the games, so there's a bunch of people there who've got mel bridgman's autograph, or a bunch of corporate stooges who saw miracle a few times as an in-flight movie, but otherwise don't know anything about hockey.

but again it's not just limited to the devils: if i wanted to get some reading done, i'd go to a giants game. and while this hasn't caught up with the local baseball teams yet, it will soon - both the stadiums have significantly less seating than their older incarnations.

also people from around here tend to be individualistic - they're hecklers, not rooters. i find it no accident that 'x sucks' is usually louder than 'let's go'

Edited by Triumph

but we don't have to abuse it like the Rags with "Henri" or the isles with"diPi" whenever either of them touches the puck without it flopping into the net.

Um... the Islanders don't abuse it, they play it only when he makes a really nice save. Don't mix up the Rags abusing it with the Isles.

Until the third period, I didn't think it was that bad last night. Just about every Lets Go Rangers chant that started up was met with a Devils chant as well, and it was that way until the two quick goals in the third, then all hell broke loose.

I do have to say though, that after last night, I've given up on Devils/Rangers games in this new building. I have tickets to Game 7 if there is one and will probably go unless I really need the money I'd get by selling them, but after that...I'm out. CAA was bad enough with obnoxious Ranger fans who actually had to make effort to get there and had to worry about getting behind the wheel of a car to get home. The Rock is just awful though now that any moron can get on the train and get wasted all game with no reprocussions.

I know that the best way to combat it is to have Devils fans in the seats, but it's just pathetic. I honestly thought that alot of you guys were overreacting to game 1, but going to game 2, I see what you mean.

Frankly, I don't know what can be done about it, but it would do the Devils well to come up with something to make games like last night's enjoyable. I was only using my partial-plan tickets this year for Rangers/Devils games and opening night; and if I don't go to Rangers/Devils games anymore, why should I stay a season ticket holder, even if it is just a partial plan? It's still money not going to the team's pockets. I can't be the only one.

I'm glad that we're a generally classy fanbase. I'll take the somewhat quiet but classy fans over the beligerant a$$holes in blue last night.

I do have to say though, that after last night, I've given up on Devils/Rangers games in this new building. I have tickets to Game 7 if there is one and will probably go unless I really need the money I'd get by selling them, but after that...I'm out. CAA was bad enough with obnoxious Ranger fans who actually had to make effort to get there and had to worry about getting behind the wheel of a car to get home. The Rock is just awful though now that any moron can get on the train and get wasted all game with no reprocussions.

I know that the best way to combat it is to have Devils fans in the seats, but it's just pathetic. I honestly thought that alot of you guys were overreacting to game 1, but going to game 2, I see what you mean.

Frankly, I don't know what can be done about it, but it would do the Devils well to come up with something to make games like last night's enjoyable.

Other than the team actually winning I don't see what can be done.

Probably any kind of promo is a bad idea, last year we were foolish enough to have one or two of those 25th anniversary giveaways during a Ranger game and those things were littered all over the place. When we gave away thundersticks in the playoffs two years ago the Ranger fans held up play during Madden's hat trick throwing unopened packages on the ice. And even with the dopey rally towels this series, they wound up in like 30 toilets supposedly screwing up the plumbing after Game 1 according to some poster on HF.

You make a good point about it being easier for Ranger fans, not only travel-wise (and for the playoffs our tickets are cheaper than theirs as well) but the fact that they can get hammered more easily because of mass transit and the bars within a few blocks of the arena. I haven't had a real bad experience yet with Ranger fans in the new arena even though they were behind and next to me pretty much every game, but it probably is only a matter of time.

Edited by Hasan4978

Until the third period, I didn't think it was that bad last night. Just about every Lets Go Rangers chant that started up was met with a Devils chant as well, and it was that way until the two quick goals in the third, then all hell broke loose.

Frankly, I don't know what can be done about it, but it would do the Devils well to come up with something to make games like last night's enjoyable. I was only using my partial-plan tickets this year for Rangers/Devils games and opening night; and if I don't go to Rangers/Devils games anymore, why should I stay a season ticket holder, even if it is just a partial plan? It's still money not going to the team's pockets. I can't be the only one.

I'm glad that we're a generally classy fanbase. I'll take the somewhat quiet but classy fans over the beligerant a$$holes in blue last night.

Schoolbusses + public intoxication arrests + an hour in the tank in Newark (sounds like fun) = revenue for Newark and a possible way to crack down on it.

The drinking is out of control, and it's not just Rangers fans, imo, the biggest dick of the night was the Devils fan (who I think was mentioned here) who got ejected out of the first row behind the Rangers attack zone, grabbed someone's beer on the way out, chucked it over his shoulder, soaking around 50 *Devils* fans, and then punched an *usher* for good measure. Some hundrednothing 18-20ish fvcking punk. There's tons of them at these Rangers/Devils game. Thankfully, none near me, because I pretty much made it my mission that if one gave me problems (no matter who they're with, they could be Blue Jackets fans for all I care), I was really going to hurt one. I've just had enough of it.

I understand the frustration of people at these games, and there's really no recourse other than sucking it up or not going. It's not like you can just beat them out of the building, because they don't give a sh!t. If I go too far, I lose my account and after 11 years and almost six figures, it's not going to happen.

I know people that work for the building, and they take the train home, I feel sorry for them last night. Who knows what it was like at the train station, but it was probably bad enough that the hardest-ass Newarkite would hide in a bathroom.

Schoolbusses + public intoxication arrests + an hour in the tank in Newark (sounds like fun) = revenue for Newark and a possible way to crack down on it.

The drinking is out of control, and it's not just Rangers fans, imo, the biggest dick of the night was the Devils fan (who I think was mentioned here) who got ejected out of the first row behind the Rangers attack zone, grabbed someone's beer on the way out, chucked it over his shoulder, soaking around 50 *Devils* fans, and then punched an *usher* for good measure. Some hundrednothing 18-20ish fvcking punk. There's tons of them at these Rangers/Devils game. Thankfully, none near me, because I pretty much made it my mission that if one gave me problems (no matter who they're with, they could be Blue Jackets fans for all I care), I was really going to hurt one. I've just had enough of it.

I understand the frustration of people at these games, and there's really no recourse other than sucking it up or not going. It's not like you can just beat them out of the building, because they don't give a sh!t. If I go too far, I lose my account and after 11 years and almost six figures, it's not going to happen.

I know people that work for the building, and they take the train home, I feel sorry for them last night. Who knows what it was like at the train station, but it was probably bad enough that the hardest-ass Newarkite would hide in a bathroom.

It was surprisingly calm at the train station when I was there, but I intentially waited for the express train headed south, which was a little later than the first few. I was expecting a war outside and at the tracks but it was quiet. Far more cops in the Gateway than usual, though.

And your reasoning for not going off on one of 'em was the same as mine - they have nothing to lose by getting into fights and causing all this crap, whereas I'm not going to get kicked out of a brand-new arena that I absolutely love. At least not in the first year.

It was surprisingly calm at the train station when I was there, but I intentially waited for the express train headed south, which was a little later than the first few. I was expecting a war outside and at the tracks but it was quiet. Far more cops in the Gateway than usual, though.

And your reasoning for not going off on one of 'em was the same as mine - they have nothing to lose by getting into fights and causing all this crap, whereas I'm not going to get kicked out of a brand-new arena that I absolutely love. At least not in the first year.

on the plus side, there's one less game next year and it looks like we're getting ticketexchange for next season. Any Rangers games that aren't Saturday/Sunday afternoon are going up.

I disagree with the booing theory to cancel out the other team's chants. Just chant something similar, yet different. If they do "Let's go Rangers", we should do "Let's Go Devils." It cancels the other one out, and the place is still loud without it sounding like any players on the ice are getting booed (it kinda sounds like "Let's Go Blah Blah"' on TV, which is better than "Let's Go Rangers" intersperced with boos). When they did "Henrik" I yelled "Big Pads." When they yelled "You Can't Beat Us" I yelled "Go Bang Trannies." Cancel them out while still keeping the place loud. The players shouldn't hear boos just because there's a mix of fans in the building.

When I said we should boo, I mostly meant to cancel out the "Maarty" "Maarty" razzing that he was taking at the ends of both games. I don't think he would've thought we were booing him. ... I'm not sure what else could've drowned it out.

I agree about using the "Let's Go Devils" chants to drown out the "Let's Go Rangers" chants. That's what I always do in those instances. Unfortunately, when it was obvious the Devils were about to lose at the end of both games, most of the Devs fans still in the building had given up on any more Devils chants. ... Actually, I think most Devils fans had given up on the team once the Rangers took the 3rd period lead in both games -- until Madden scored near the end of Game 2.

But back to my original point. In my opninion, us Devils fans as a whole have got to do a better job of doing pro-Devils players chants ("MAR-TIN! ... JOHN-NIE MAD-DEN! ... PAT-TRIK! ... ZACH! or whatever).

I think we go into these games and right from the start get so caught up in doing the "Rangers Suck" chants that it throws us off our game and we forget about cheering our own players (except for the "Let's Go Devils" chants).

I realize that's it's been real hard lately to cheer our guys because the team has barely been scoring all game long. But we can still do it after other big plays that happen throughout the game: Brodeur makes a big save early on? Good, we break out a "MAR-TIN! (clap-clap) MAR-TIN" (clap-clap) chant! Madden makes a big play on the penalty kill? Great, we'll break into a "JOHN-NIE MAD-DEN!" chant! Parise swarms the net, forcing Lundqvist to cover up? Fine, we can start chanting "ZACH! ... ZACH! ... ZACH! ... ZACH!" ... (You get the point ...)

I agree, we shouldn't need to wait for a scoreboard to instruct us.

Does anyone sit in sections that are good at getting chants going? Maybe we can set something up on this board that will get us organized on what kinds of chants we can do and when's the best time to do it. Maybe it could be an ongoing gameday thread. ... Just an idea. :noclue:

The way the Devs are playing, it might be something that'll have to wait till next season.

GO DEVILS.

95crash, instead of quoting that whole thing I'll just leave it at the fact that I agree with you. I'd freakin LOVE it if our fan base was enthusiastic enough and organized enough to pull off anything beyond "Let's Go Devils," "Rangers Suck," and "Marty's Better." But we aren't.

I was watching a baseball game tonight on the Extra Innings package in KC, Royals were down 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 9th with Joe Nathan stepping to the mound to close out a relatively meaningless early-April game. This is KC, where baseball fans haven't had anything to root for in decades, and the game was pretty much over. But everyone in Kaufman Stadium welcomed the inning's first batter with a rousing "Let's Go Royals" chant. On the other hand, the Devils fell behind 2-0 to their heated cross-river rivals in the third period of Game 2 in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and our fans are admittedly sitting on their hands until the team gives them something to cheer for. (I would have brought up tonight's Canadiens game for comparison purposes, but no NHL fan base can compare to those folks ... they're just phenominal.)

The games sure as hell aren't won or lost in the stands, but we have a lot of Devils fans here complaining about the heart of the team on the ice when the fans in the stands are showing absolutely none themselves. I'm not a player, so I'm not embarassed when the team doesn't perform well. But I am a fan, and I am embarassed when our fans are so stuck up and spoiled that they can't show their team a hint of support without getting goals or some stupid video montage of Michael Strahan or Macho Man Randy Savage pleading them to get out of their overpriced seats and make some friggin noise (old reference, I know, but still).

Go to some games before talking like you are Jesus Christ posting your wonders upon us. The Marty's better is the best chant we have (cough my name), and always applies. But with the other poster's, I agree. More "Marty! Marty!" chants would be nice, but we don't have to abuse it like the Rags with "Henri" or the isles with"diPi" whenever either of them touches the puck without it flopping into the net.

:boogie:

What crawled up your ass and died? I love the Marty's Better chant, but it's hard to say it right now with us losing 9 of the last 10 to NYR and Lundqvist's mammoth sized pads.

So you're sitting at home watching the games on MSG, where I don't DOUBT they fvck with the sound (there's games all year I KNOW we've been loud and all over the place and I go home and see the replay and we sound muted)... and then when a pro-Ranger chant hits... gee... the sound turns up... amazing coincidence!

Buy some tickets before you bitch out those who go to every game thank you!

I'm not bitching about Devils fans not being loud enough. You both completely misunderstood my comments. Thanks for jumping down my throat, jackasses. It's Rangers' bandwagon fans that get into it even though they'll pretend hockey never existed once the Rags get eliminated. The Devils fans are always there, but the Rags fans only show up after the Rags clinch a playoff spot.

I'm not bitching about Devils fans not being loud enough. You both completely misunderstood my comments. Thanks for jumping down my throat, jackasses. It's Rangers' bandwagon fans that get into it even though they'll pretend hockey never existed once the Rags get eliminated. The Devils fans are always there, but the Rags fans only show up after the Rags clinch a playoff spot.

I've been there for EVERY GAME between these two teams... WE ARE LOUD and into the game... it's just amazingly the crowd gets muted by the TV production until it's a pro-ranger chant... gee... wonder who owns the TV rights, hrm?? :P

So you're sitting at home watching the games on MSG, where I don't DOUBT they fvck with the sound (there's games all year I KNOW we've been loud and all over the place and I go home and see the replay and we sound muted)... and then when a pro-Ranger chant hits... gee... the sound turns up... amazing coincidence!

Buy some tickets before you bitch out those who go to every game thank you!

i think a lot of the reason is that the ice mics are right by each goal, so we only hear fans that are in the front rows (i.e. rich new yorker bandwagoners).

instead of quoting that whole thing I'll just leave it at the fact that I agree with you. I'd freakin LOVE it if our fan base was enthusiastic enough and organized enough to pull off anything beyond "Let's Go Devils," "Rangers Suck," and "Marty's Better."

Dano, I could tell we're on the same page.

I think it's worth a shot at trying to get something organized on this board. Something that could eventually spread into the arena. ... I dunno. We'll see.

I was in the section over from that, 13 row 4 :D, and saw some of that. It appeared to have been winding down (Rag fans were quiting that is) when genius decides he's gonna spit across 6 seats. Didn't know he was the beer guy too, but it's fitting.

From where I was sitting pretty much all chants died off pretty quickly either turning into hatefests or being drowned out. Almost all the chants I heard sounded like they were coming out of the 120s and 220s.

Well good luck to y'alls devils. I'm going to watch the Wings game I tivo'd and listen to the silence from the Joe.

PS nice arena

Oh don't even try it. Every damn save: "Dipi! (organ) dipi! (organ) dipi! (organ)

Actually, there is rarely a game that it sounds more than once a period. Good try though.

Just because you hate the Rags doesn't mean you have to hate all the teams in your division. If I had the mindset you have, this board would be enemy territory to me.

Edited by matcat1116