Avery placed on re-entry waivers

Prucenterrules

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=411790

"The worst-kept secret in hockey no longer is a secret. As expected, Sean Avery was officially placed on re-entry waivers at noon ET on Monday, according to the team's public relations staff. Many observers believe Avery may land with the New York Rangers, his most recent stop before Dallas"

Oo boy here we go. I believe he is going to be picked up by the rags. Whats interesting though are torterella's comments about avery how he was a disgrace to the league. I hope some team gets him before the rags do.

Oo boy here we go. I believe he is going to be picked up by the rags. Whats interesting though are torterella's comments about avery how he was a disgrace to the league. I hope some team gets him before the rags do.

I hope that he does get picked up by the Rags, and Devs grow some balls and beat the snot out of him.

Mark Bell sent down today by the Rangers. I think we'll know by this time tomorrow whether Avery is a Ranger or not - of course it's almost a certainty that he will be.

"Joe, you know, you could see it in his eyes when he said he was going to change, he understands this is his last chance."

"Oh yeah, Sam, definitely - Sean loved playing in New York, he didn't want to leave New York, things didn't go well in Dallas, I think he's going to help this hockey team out a great deal."

"Joe, you know, you could see it in his eyes when he said he was going to change, he understands this is his last chance."

"Oh yeah, Sam, definitely - Sean loved playing in New York, he didn't want to leave New York, things didn't go well in Dallas, I think he's going to help this hockey team out a great deal."

:giggle::rolleyes::whistling:

I could actually hear their voices as I read this. Thanks for the chuckle.

If he does go to the Rangers, then I think we should give Marty the night off. The next time we play them is the 30th of this month, so we should start whoever our backup is at that point, whether it's Clemmer or Weekes. I know Marty can handle him, but I don't want to take any chances around playoff time.

F*ck that.

Play Marty, what kind of message would that send? Not a good one.

It's time to stand up.

Watch the Pens grab him.

Can someone explain how it makes sense to Dallas to do this?

Doesn't half of Avery's salary count against the cap for the next 3 years? Not to mention having to pay half the money as well.

What's the upside for Dallas? They could have left him to linger in the minors and not had any cap hit. It seems like a lose-lose for Dallas here.

Any insight?

Per Doug Maclean FAN590: From Sather: Voros will be placed on waivers to make room for Avery. Great signing Glen.

I don't really buy that. With the deadline coming up, i find it hard to believe Sather can't get a pick or package Voros up for something else.

We'll see how fast this all transpires.

Doesn't half of Avery's salary count against the cap for the next 3 years? Not to mention having to pay half the money as well.

What's the upside for Dallas? They could have left him to linger in the minors and not had any cap hit. It seems like a lose-lose for Dallas here.

Any insight?

There's something rotten in the state of Texas. Sorry, no insight, but I agree it seems like a stupid move.

Mark Bell sent down today by the Rangers. I think we'll know by this time tomorrow whether Avery is a Ranger or not - of course it's almost a certainty that he will be.

So what was the point of claiming bell if they were just gonna send him down to hartford to save cap space?

Any insight?

Pretty sure the contract only counts against their cap for this year and then they are rid of it for years 2-3-4

I don't really buy that. With the deadline coming up, i find it hard to believe Sather can't get a pick or package Voros up for something else.

We'll see how fast this all transpires.

It should be interesting. But honestly, who would want Voros and his contract when you can get the more productivity out of a kid for the league minimum?

ric:

the stars are off the hook for the other $6 million they owe him. burying him in the minors means having him at training camp, having him around your minor league affiliate - yeah you take a hit in terms of dollars and cap space, but the odor of his presence is gone.

So what was the point of claiming bell if they were just gonna send him down to hartford to save cap space?

1: he's insurance in case avery doesn't make it.

2: he might be better than aaron voros, patrick rissmiller, or whomever else are the rangers' depth wings at this point.

Claiming him also put them at the end of the waiver line for Avery. Which, if they wanted Sean this badly maybe a mistake, some other team would claim him with the hope that Sather still wants Sean for half price and get an asset in return. I doubt that happens, but it is a possibility.

Claiming him also put them at the end of the waiver line for Avery. Which, if they wanted Sean this badly maybe a mistake, some other team would claim him with the hope that Sather still wants Sean for half price and get an asset in return. I doubt that happens, but it is a possibility.

ah that's an excellent point, but i think it's way too dangerous a move to acquire avery with the sole intention of trading him.

ah that's an excellent point, but i think it's way too dangerous a move to acquire avery with the sole intention of trading him.

Not when the Rangers have made it so public that they're bringing him in. To the point where Sather actually said the coach will learn to love Sean like we do.

I'm not sure what happens after another team claims Avery though if they try to send him to the minors.

Was Avery suspended earlier this year when we played the Stars? I forget.

Nope, he got hit every time he moved and the Stars didn't know how to cope with the situation/atmosphere (there was no one at the game, but those that were, were loud and ANGRY), so they got rolled.

Probably the game that started this sh!tshow along, where the Stars realized what they had gotten into.