New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for the Lombardi version of the Dan Gilbert letter.

Dear Los Angeles, all of California and LA Kings supporters wherever you may be tonight;

As you now know, Ilya Kovalchuk signed with New Jersey.

This was announced with a several-day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a "Twitter announcement" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Kings have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight: "I personally guarantee that the Kings will win an NHL Championship before the self-titled former 'king' wins one."

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to LA, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from Ilya sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on LA.

Just watch.

Sleep well, LA. Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day...

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue...

Dean Lombardi

Majority Owner

LA Kings

Edited by Prucenterrules

Wish that Ice Jerseys free / discount customization would begin so I can get a Kovy jersey.

Was getting tired of the wait, but glad he made a decision. Still shocked it was the Devils.

Can't believe for the rest of his career Kovy is a Devil.

Edited by mmajeski06

This was a Yankee style move. Takes me back to December 2008 when the Yankees signed Teixeira after he was sealed for Boston. They even went to visit him. Somewhere George is watching this and smiling.

At 7/60 I would have passed. But a 6M AAV? What's not to like?

This was a Yankee style move. Takes me back to December 2008 when the Yankees signed Teixeira after he was sealed for Boston. They even went to visit him. Somewhere George is watching this and smiling.

At 7/60 I would have passed. But a 6M AAV? What's not to like?

Hey petey!!!

Do you think Kovy can play within the Devs system? It didn't seem like he meshed that well last season. I'm saying this isn't a great re-signing at all but Kovy would really have to be a fast learner.

He had 27 games to learn defense and team play for the first time in his career.

Now he has 17 years to perfect it.

Edited by thelastonealive

This thread has been awesome, can't wait for the press conference tomorrow and all the hate from the rival sites, just a big thank you to all the admins who have kept it fun and not allowed the riff raff to get out of hand like on other Devils fan sites! :cheers:

Edited by Devs1965

wtf???? 17 years? are you aware this guy is 27?

just what we need, a 44 year old dead weight. anyone see shades of larionov in this?

Now what do we say to patty? (you know lou is going to let him walk in 2 years) or to the bevy of centers we have laying in wait in our farm system?

Hey I love the guy, but I'd have taken him for 5 years, 10 mil/per.

Lou I think has gone insane. why the heck do we need another left wing? If we dont win the cup in the next two years, I see this coming back to bite us.

Whether you like the deal or not.....

I'm still waiting for the "Another off-season, same old Lou.....nothing, game has passed him by, nothing to see here, lemmings!" Posters.

You know the Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't folks?

Wow. I don't even know where to start with this. But here goes:

wtf???? 17 years? are you aware this guy is 27?

Yes, meaning we have him for 10 years in his prime.

just what we need, a 44 year old dead weight. anyone see shades of larionov in this?

Kovalchuk will be retired and off our books by 38.

Now what do we say to patty? (you know lou is going to let him walk in 2 years) or to the bevy of centers we have laying in wait in our farm system?

Umm.. Score 90+ points per year and get a nice contract?

Hey I love the guy, but I'd have taken him for 5 years, 10 mil/per.

Right, because that would really help us maintain our competitiveness, not to mention our "bevy of centers we have laying in wait in our farm system" who would want similar contracts. The future looks bright!

Lou I think has gone insane. why the heck do we need another left wing? If we dont win the cup in the next two years, I see this coming back to bite us.

Because left wings have never played center / right wing in the NHL before. Elias SURE as hell can't do it.

lou has effectively mortgaged the future.

if josefson and tedenby turn out to be all that, no way we keep all of these guys.

secondly, parise was a way way higher priority. how the heck does uncle lou top this?

or does he shortchange parise? or maybe he lowballs the guy because he cant put up the points kovy can?

at 17 years we cant jettison this guy either.

let me reiterate, I love kovy on the team. But we gotta think bigger things. a number one dman, a number one center, a decent right wing not named langenbrunner. (A replacement for MARTY??)

or maybe we intend to win every game 10-9.

I think it is starting to sink in that Ilya Kovalchuk is a friggin lifer Devil now. I hope his achievements (and the teams) mean there will be a retired jersey in the rafters one day.

Cheers to the new Red Army!

Amen.