New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway, if i can be sentimental for a second, before i start yelling at kovalchuk in october for overstaying shifts and whatever:

kovalchuk was the first player to make the NHL who was younger than I am. I'm pretty sure for 50% of the board that happened rather more recently or not at all, but it's an odd moment. i've always enjoyed watching him - when i first got center ice in 2006, atlanta and washington were the two teams i'd watch most often. perhaps kovalchuk's talents are best viewed from afar, i guess we'll find that out - but it's nice to add an almost lock HOFer to the team, in his prime. now let's hope that maclean et al can teach him a few things along the way.

Even still. This guy isn't Ovechkin. I would never pay him more than Ovechkin. Ovechkin is better. I'm happy we re-signed him though. Just, I feel a baaaaaaaad case of Karma around the corner about this long term deal. I'm pretty sure every one of us on here was bad mouthing Philly and Chicago for their long term deals they made last summer, or even what the Isles did a few years ago... but on the brighter side, maybe because we've spent so much money and have a star player to re-sign next year, we'll actually make it past the first round and even to the finals, just like Philly and Chicago?

But if the cap hit is 6 million every season it shouldn't matter.

It'll matter to Vanderbeek that he's not paying Kovy 11.5 million while still paying Rolston 5 mil, etc. It'll have no effect on the cap, but I would imagine that the Devils don't want to be sinking a ridiculous amount into player salary every year. The six mil the first two years gives them the ability to not add a ton to the player payroll until the third year of the deal, when other bad deals expire.

anyway, if i can be sentimental for a second, before i start yelling at kovalchuk in october for overstaying shifts and whatever:

kovalchuk was the first player to make the NHL who was younger than I am. I'm pretty sure for 50% of the board that happened rather more recently or not at all, but it's an odd moment. i've always enjoyed watching him - when i first got center ice in 2006, atlanta and washington were the two teams i'd watch most often. perhaps kovalchuk's talents are best viewed from afar, i guess we'll find that out - but it's nice to add an almost lock HOFer to the team, in his prime. now let's hope that maclean et al can teach him a few things along the way.

Since we're going down the sentimental road, I thought I'd take shot.

It's time I address the whole "Kovy didn't even want NJ so this isn't that great" thing.

Did Kovy want to play in NJ more than LA?...I don't know but it surely doesn't seem like it. But where does that become a bad thing or not understandable? New Jersey is not the kind of place anybody just falls in love with off the bat. Did Scott Stevens love New Jersey as soon as he got here? Probably not.

That's the beauty of having an unsure player like Kovy on the Devils. We will all be able to watch as his heart turns red (o wait...that doesn't make...o whatever). We will watch as New Jersey grows on Kovy and he learns to love the place. It's not something materialistic (see: LA) that makes living/playing here special. It's something more intangible, something invisible in the air (no, not the swamp odors).

The point is that no matter what Kovy wanted (and he's only a 27 year old - relatively a kid) he ended up here. It was his destiny to sign here and it is his destiny to learn how to play Devils hockey, bring Cups to NJ and become an integral part of the state.

Yesterday Kovy wanted to live in LA rather than NJ, just as anybody who's never lived here would. Today he is a Devil. And somewhere down the line he will find that Scott Stevens-like loyalty and want nothing more than to live in NJ and be a Devil.

I can't wait to watch it happen before my eyes and to cheer him on for the next 17 years and beyond.

It'll matter to Vanderbeek that he's not paying Kovy 11.5 million while still paying Rolston 5 mil, etc. It'll have no effect on the cap, but I would imagine that the Devils don't want to be sinking a ridiculous amount into player salary every year. The six mil the first two years gives them the ability to not add a ton to the player payroll until the third year of the deal, when other bad deals expire.

Ohhhhh THAT makes sense, thanks!

Right. Just because you can get around the cap doesn't mean you don't have a budget. I'm sure they're trying to make a profit too. We're not the NYY, we don't have unlimited funds.

Did Kovy want to play in NJ more than LA?...I don't know but it surely doesn't seem like it. But where does that become a bad thing or not understandable? New Jersey is not the kind of place anybody just falls in love with off the bat. Did Scott Stevens love New Jersey as soon as he got here? Probably not.

Definitely not. Unless you consider throwing a sh!t-fit and refusing to report to training camp as a sign of adoration for the team.

Definitely not. Unless you consider throwing a sh!t-fit and refusing to report to training camp as a sign of adoration for the team.

Stevens said from the start that he didn't hold anything against the Devils or NJ. He was understandably upset after the league made him leave St. Louis right after he signed a deal with them. However, when that was a lost cause, I don't recall him dogging it, and I think we can all agree that the story had a happy ending.

Stevens said from the start that he didn't hold anything against the Devils or NJ. He was understandably upset after the league made him leave St. Louis right after he signed a deal with them. However, when that was a lost cause, I don't recall him dogging it, and I think we can all agree that the story had a happy ending.

This was the point.

people dont seem to realise that we can drop the cap hit by sending him to the minors after 2017, or that whenever he retires.

kind of a win win really, lou doesnt have to worry about any 35+ signings from Kovy :)

i seriously cant wait to play NHL 11 anymore, we will have a decent team to play online with :D

My f-ing girlfriend had to be born on July 19th!! Just freakin' read this news and a little bit of the reaction here.

As amazingtiny pointed out....no sleepiness over here. Great deal with that tiny $6MM hit. It sure leaves enough room to lock Zach to a similar deal. WOW!!! Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk on the same team......OUR TEAM!!!!!! Lou certainly walked the walk this offseason. Best part is......it's not over and, the way things are going, I can see him moving Rolston without adding much of our future (prospects/picks).....he's doing magic.

I don't know what else to say....I'm excited!!

Edit: Actually I do.....it is now my dream that we get rid of White, Rolston, and someone else (Zubrus, Salvador??) which translates to about $11MM release of cap....take in around $2MM in return, leaving us with around $7MM to do do Parise's contract right now!!! Ahhh it's good to dream :rolleyes:

Edited by cubanjd305

They are posting that everywhere. Here, the Isles board, you name it.

i swear to god thats the worst thing about the NHL. people love deals like this as long as its your team with the brains to get around it, and the free agent who wants to go there.

islander fans should be pissed at their legislatures who REFUSE to bend at all to allow Wang to build a new arena. if they'd pass that project, i'm sure they'd have a lot fewer players saying "the place is like playing in a coffin"

ranger fans should just stop complaining we took a page out of their book, yet as i said before, didnt over pay for a player past his prime and we're not coming off yet another year of missed playoffs.

kings fans have a legit gripe with how close they came, but in the end we were more enticing.

sabres fans should be picketing outside HSBC Arena until Regier is removed from his position. the guy is doing NOTHING this off-season to address his team's needs, and his big play at the deadline [torres] netted him 0 goals between the reg/post seasons.

as for the rest of the league i couldnt care less.

leaving us with around $7MM to do do Parise's contract right now!!! Ahhh it's good to dream :rolleyes:

contract extensions kick in the day the old contract expires, not when the player signs.

thats what caught out the flyers and the 35+ contract with pronger.

so parise could sign now, and lou just needs to make sure that he has enough cap space after this season.

contract extensions kick in the day the old contract expires, not when the player signs.

thats what caught out the flyers and the 35+ contract with pronger.

so parise could sign now, and lou just needs to make sure that he has enough cap space after this season.

I suspected that. Doesn't take out from my dream of getting rid of Rolston's and White's contracts :D

i just saw this video about Kovalchuck ... he doesnt say a lot but he seems like a really nice guy to be honest

I'm well aware that Kovy is here to score goals, but I just watched several of his fights on youtube and the guy is absolutely ruthless...this is not his best fight, but it's my favorite. notice at about the 1 min mark how Gay-very gets gloves off first and then gets rocked by Kovy...

Edited by goalieguy87