What the Devils actually need on offence

SterioDesign

seems like there's a bunch of discussion about this through other discussions, i think we all know that we need more offence but in a perfect world what do we need exactly? Where's our holes

im sticking to Kovy on the left side too, this i we're he's been his best and where he has all his little tricks. And remember this is in a perfect world... we have guys like zubrus and Elias who can play absolutely anywhere but let's put them where they should really belong and see whats up. And i think that with his play clarkson is solidifying his role as a top 6 player like Lou always wanted.

This Season:

Kovalchuk - Zajac - yyyy

Elias - Henrique - Clarkson

xxxx - Josefon - Zubrus

Carter - Gionta- Bernier

xxxx- (candidate: Matteau, Darche, x player through trades, signing)

yyyy- (candidate: i dont have a fvcking clue, x player through trades, signing)

you could make a case that since Matteau will likely end up on the 3rd line and that there's a spot available there might as well keep him instead of trading or trying to get someone for that spot. But thats up to the coaches they know more than we do whats best. If he could eventually slide 2nd line winger too well Elias won't be there forever so.

Long Term:

Kovalchuk - Zajac - yyyy

xxxx - Henrique - Clarkson

Matteau - Josefon - zzzz

Carter - Gionta- Bernier

xxxx- (candidate: Matteau, x player through trades, signing)

yyyy- (candidate: i dont have a fvcking clue, x player through trades, signing)

zzzz -(candidate: Pietila, x player through trades, signing)

I could be wrong about this as i'm not following the AHL that much but i don't think any of the current lineup there as a real good shot at sticking in the NHL other than Butler maybe (on offence i mean), i feel the guys who could have a legit shot are the 2nd wave like Boucher, Gavrus, Black, Coleman, Wohlberg, Kerfoot... they could all endup AHLers for life for all i know.

thoughts? i'm not really sure of all projections of what's coming our way for all those guys, anyone have a clearer idea?

Edited by SterioDesign

When Adam returns I think the lines will be this.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Zubrus Elias Clarkson

Butler Josefson Darche

CBGB

Just need to upgrade that third line and we will be fine. Hopefully Lou will make a Poni type acquisition, a guy who can play bottom 6 minutes but who can also be used as a top 6 guy.

As for long term I still think we will be fine for the next three years. I honestly do not see Elias Clarkson or Zubrus leaving or retiring. Elias and Zubrus are also aging quite nicely. We just need to strengthen our forward pool during these next three years.

Edited by Zubie#8

Since it seems to be that PDB likes to put inexperienced/risky players on our top line, I don't think it would be out of the ordinary to see Butler tried with Zajac and Kovy. Butler can't be worse than Teddy or Palmieri who Kovy and Zajac have been stuck playing with before, plus he has more experience than Matteau. Lines could be

Kovy-Zajac-Butler

Elias-Josefson-Clarkson/Zubrus

Darche-Henrique-Clarkson/Zubrus

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I am a little hesitant to slide Henrique back into the top-6 upon his return. JJ, in my mind, has earned a shot at top six minutes. Whereas Adam hasn't played a game in 2 months, and even then, JJ was outproducing him in the AHL.

When Adam returns I think the lines will be this.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk

Zubrus Elias Clarkson

Butler Josefson Darche

CBGB

Just need to upgrade that third line and we will be fine. Hopefully Lou will make a Poni type acquisition, a guy who can play bottom 6 minutes but who can also be used as a top 6 guy.

As for long term I still think we will be fine for the next three years. I honestly do not see Elias Clarkson or Zubrus leaving or retiring. Elias and Zubrus are also aging quite nicely. We just need to strengthen our forward pool during these next three years.

yeah but i really meant beyond that what our team would be like in like 5 years let's say.

yeah but i really meant beyond that what our team would be like in like 5 years let's say.

I'm assuming we will still have Kovy Zajac Josefson Clarkson and Henrique. 5 years is too far away to think about. We just have to develop players through the system like we always do and look for suitable trades or signings.

Edited by Zubie#8

Yeah, we'll be fine. With our cap space and the loss of some significant forwards this past offseason (Zach, Poni, Sykora), we will definetly sign some mid-six forwards this offseason. I think Clowe or Ryder could be nice additions that won't break the bank, well they shouldn't at least.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

Yeah, we'll be fine. With our cap space and the loss of some significant forwards this past offseason (Zach, Poni, Sykora), we will definetly sign some mid-six forwards this offseason. I think Clowe or Ryder could be nice additions that won't break the bank, well they shouldn't at least.

I dunno I think Lou might be back to his pre-2004 lockout mentality of pretty much signing no significant free agents pretty much at all. He got burned on most of them besides Zubrus/Tallinder pretty much (I'm not counting Kovy since that was a resigning) so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't try anything new besides maybe Reid Boucher and hope Matteau/Josefson could step into the top 6

Im sorry we looked like a good hockey team last night not a great one, we need another line that can score if that game was 2-0 in the 3rd period = game over. instead, like a instant replay from last year we tried to hold on to a 1 -0 lead. I was saying to myself they need to score, but we sat back and bam Bruins score, I could have scripted it.

Oh and while I'm at it keep JJ off the shoot out rotation, what was that? Real poor attempt needs work.

Edited by Devs1965