FOOOOORREE! Says the Rangers

DevilMinder

I guess no one's allowed to simply disagree anymore.

Anyway, Derek, I don't think Messier can be called a great leader anymore.. just my opinion. He certainly was, but from many accounts in Vancouver, he was far too involved with the operation of the team. Rumor also is that the Messier signing was revenge for the Rangers signing Gretzky away from Vancouver the summer before.

He should take a 4th line role next year. For Messier to be in the top 9 when the Rangers have Lindros, Nedved, and Holik is ridiculous. Those guys should not be moved to wing to accomodate #11.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek, please don't leave for the NCAA unless there is a special team you want to follow. a hockey fan which you are can still enjoy watching hockey even if your team isn't in the running any more.

There is a lot of great hockey ahead in the playoffs and I feel you will and do enjoy watching the SPORT.

Hopefully next year will be different.

I respect Mess' career and records, but his remarks on Blackburn were totally out of line and (in my opinion) not something a good captain should say. Yzerman is the finest leader in hockey, look at how his return motivated the dead wings

Tri, my feeling on why Messier left for Vancouver was that he didn't feel respected by Neil Smith. Smith went and made other guys top priorities like Keane and Skrudland and that rubbed Mess the wrong way.

I really think Messier leaving the Rangers was very similar to why Holik left the Devils.

Holik felt slanted and disrespected because they put better players ahead of him.

Both Messier and Holik are egomaniacs.

Messier at least realized that going to Vancouver was a mistake.

I wonder if Holik feels the same way about leaving the Devils now.

On the hockey GR, I will watch the playoffs as always and hope for exciting series like Tampa Bay-New Jersey to come off.

But I am also a diehard college hoops fan and have followed the tournament since '85. Even with St. John's out of it, I still enjoy the games.

When mark said what he said in 1994 it wasn't to put pressure on the team, it was to show the team that he had confidence in them and believed they could come back not only to win the game but the series as well when probably many of them did not. Well this is NY, it was all over the back pages, turned out the Rangers did win the the Captain got the hat trick, thus it became (righfully so) larger than life.

Now I didn't hear what Mess said in regards to Blackburn, but knowing Messier I believe it was along the same lines. I think he wanted Danny to know that the team had full confidence in him and even though he hadn't played in a long time he wanted Danny to know that as well. Its just the way Mark does things, its a little different than everyone else.

Obviously a different result, but I have to give the captain the benefit of the doubt. The guy has always been about winning, hockey is his life - that is not open for debate.

While Holik will never been anywhere near Mark's level part of what makes a great player like Messier, Messier so to speak, is that huge ego. I'm sure that ego has more than rubbed a few players or coaches the wrong way, but it is also responsible for some amazing moments. Some of the things Mark has done during his career are not things normal players or men do. I don't know anyone who doesn't tighten up a little bit when the pressure is on, to rise above all that is special.

A superstar is blessed with an incredible amount of talent, but more than that they all share one firm belief - they are the best. That is what seperates them from everyone else. They know when the time comes they can get the job done. I heard (in sports) one of the hardest things for a coach or manager to do is handle a superstar on the way down. I truly believe that.

A so called guarantee, is nothing more than a flip of a coin, 50/50 chance it will pay-off. Messier got lucky - once. Now what would have been impressive is if he got lucky twice. :P

That kind of statement about a 19 yr old goalie is not a confidence booster. It is pressure pure and simple and is another flip of a coin, and this time is blew up in his face. Men stand up and are accountable, esp leaders. Mess isn't either. He is just an arrogant, albeit talented, player. What Mess should have said is the team had the game on its shoulders, but then again the Rags aren't a team so I guess that's why his mentality was to put it all on the kid. :evil:

I agree NJDev, but there is one guarantee I remember clearly, sorta. After Dallas won game five in the finals, I can't remember who it was, but a Dallas player was interviewed after the game and said flat out, "We won't lose in our building." That was Game 6 and well we know how that turned out. :evil:

All this talk of Messier reminds me of MJ's comments after a Wizards' loss a week or so ago.

He said there's something wrong when the only 40-year-old on the team is outhustling and outplaying teammates 20 years younger in an attempt to get the team into the playoffs.

From what I'd seen of Messier this year, he always hustled on every shift, was always dedicated to the game and kept focused. Sure, he's lost a step and it can be argued that he should have been given a lesser role on the team (there was some stat circulating that the Rangers were almost perfect in games where Messier played less than 11 minutes), but the same arguments could be made for even our beloved Stevens. He's not the same as he used to be, but he's still valuable, he's still respected around the league, and he can still get the job done when he's called on. Personally I think Stevens is in better shape (in a few ways) than Messier is these days, but that's that.

Like it was said before, if more Rangers had played with Messier's intensity and focus, they would have made the playoffs.

And if they had any sort of core group of guys that actually had chemistry. But that's getting off the Messier-related-rant.

NJDev25:

I don't know who that was, but Reunion had been "berry berry good" to the Stars - until then.

Before the Cup Finals started anyway ;):evil:

Not sure who said the quote it might have been Keane; I remember he had his lucky suit that he never lost in that he wore before Game 6 :uni:

All this talk of Messier reminds me of MJ's comments after a Wizards' loss a week or so ago.

He said there's something wrong when the only 40-year-old on the team is outhustling and outplaying teammates 20 years younger in an attempt to get the team into the playoffs.

From what I'd seen of Messier this year, he always hustled on every shift, was always dedicated to the game and kept focused. Sure, he's lost a step and it can be argued that he should have been given a lesser role on the team (there was some stat circulating that the Rangers were almost perfect in games where Messier played less than 11 minutes), but the same arguments could be made for even our beloved Stevens. He's not the same as he used to be, but he's still valuable, he's still respected around the league, and he can still get the job done when he's called on. Personally I think Stevens is in better shape (in a few ways) than Messier is these days, but that's that.

Like it was said before, if more Rangers had played with Messier's intensity and focus, they would have made the playoffs.

And if they had any sort of core group of guys that actually had chemistry. But that's getting off the Messier-related-rant.

Well said insanity. Your comparison to what Jordan said about his teammates is right on.

Messier gave his all this year but his teammates did not.

I'm now convinced NEITHER of these teams deserve the playoffs. I thought the Isles had a little heart too but 11-2 in the last two games? They're almost as gutless as the Rag$ :rolleyes: Looks like it'll be a matchup between the Isles' four-point lead and the Rag$ better talent.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.