Coach’s style, unbalanced lines could prompt another slow start

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/coach_style_unbalanced_lines_could_pcqusNHSdTO4N5unNcY0NN

Just full of Sunshine (N)Єverson is. :rolleyes:

One key question is whether new coach Pete DeBoer is more like John MacLean or Jacques Lemaire, and the early answer is somewhere in between. DeBoer wants his forwards coming well back, but has ordered the green light for his defensemen to pinch, charge down the offensive boards for loose pucks to maintain possession in the opponents’ end.

Trouble is, that style means 2-on-1s against, no matter how dutifully forwards cover for defensemen. And 2-on-1s are not the sort of attacks Martin Brodeur stops best.

They’ll open the season Saturday looking for a better answer, and it’s almost surely going to require a trade. With Zach Parise back from his knee surgery, the dilemma of two superstar left wings presents itself again, and there may be no good answer.

Parise is still regaining his form of two seasons ago, and if he doesn’t get all the way back, there’s more trouble in Newark than just finances

There is no real stopper, no other power-play quarterback. And there’s no checking line.

Johan Hedberg, an excellent backup who may also be playing his final season, was a near-hero last year, but if they have to turn to him again, there’s still more trouble at Mulberry and Lafayette.

Honnestly, there are parts of his assessment that i agree with.

Currently the forward lines seem very unblalanced. They haven't connected overly well in pre season , and the make up of the roster means there are only so many combinations you can try before you are out of alternatives.

Zajac's return can't come quick enough.

I don't agree with his oppinion on the defence, it looks much better than it has for a while, there is a nice ballance to the back end and i thought it looked a lot more solid towards the end of the year. With our current additions things should only improve.

Again as with all thing (N)Єverson, its the way he puts it across, but hey, he is in the business of selling newspapers, we are al talking about it , half the people who read it will be outraged, he is doing his job.

Ok -- I skimmed -- but he's not wrong exactly. He's just misguided.

the Devils are messing with -- it's complicated and I'm not sure I want to go into it -- but then again no one understands a thing I write so no danger blabbing too much yeah?

I'd say (N)Єverson is a moron but I think he's just writing stupid for his own amusement. BUT I also think people are basically stupid about hockey. HOCKEY people are stupid about hockey, clearly!

So -- The System. It's a different set up is all but the system stays the same BUT unearthly speed isn't possible on a reasonably budgetted team. This shoudl all work in theory. Lemaire is closest -- he gets it so much -- and he's ALMOST articulating it to perfection but Obviously there is still confusion -- mostly because people know an old message and the same words which now have a subtly adjusted meaning appear to be misinterpreted (ALSO a coach requires beyond gigantic discipline to not miscommunicate the message - it's like sticking on track of negotiations - it's not win or lose it's not making headway in ANY direction -- you have to be going in the right direction -- it's just so exhausting). OR -- first time I'll let myself wrte it - the updated system is simply undoable. but it isn't that's sh!t so.... It's not unbalanced because the ice is different - I'm not saying that right.... It's just not unbalanced and to think so is the root of the whole problem -- it's a misinterpretation of the System.

man not another year of this. just don't let a soul on the team talk to anyone in hockey -- they'll just get all confused

It WILL work and lemaire watching from the sidelines can only help -- he's like a bloodhound on the scent of the System. MAN I LOVE THAT GUY! It's going to come. See lemaire will hear what's wrong -- what is being miscommunicated or maybe even misinterpreted although DeBoer is hovering over it just like the team.... it's getting it latched in the RIGHT way. if it latches in wrong then all is lost - I really appreciate that MacLean never allowed them to latch in. it's far harder to unlatch something ALMOST right but never gets you through the playoffs than it is to just keep missing the latch. even when they clicked in the past season they never clicked. They clicked tentatively last half last season.

I get frustrated with our fan base because they dont see - this is long-term adjustment for a sustained dynasty. Once this clicks *bingo* there's nothing to be figured by any other team. it's straight hockey clean perfect straight up hockey. Ahhh insert that Southpark cream picture I tell ya (I'm so gross :( )

Ok -- I have work to do... :lol: I have no idea how to even start articulating the whole thing either -- I'd just be froze into inaction - my head would explode. I'm excited that lemaire is still seeking - and he's welcome for now anyhow -- its' very exciting to me. because I guess in actuality it's terrifyingly flimsy stuff ... it's like thin ice - players like Zach must see that - its' one year Zach - go all in and just SEE -- for hockey's sake!

(and NOW I'm sad because Brodeur has always been in this place. he needs to change nothing -- BUT the rules hamstrung him... he's the one guy that woudl have to make ZERO changes and the fvckING LEAGUE made him change - it's the way he always saw it because goalies are weird it bums me out to no end. and he can't help lead because he actually probably has no idea what the heck the point is....its' all the same to him I suspect - and he'd be right. But I'm probably wrong :P )

I think what I'm saying is if you dont question it -- you'll be in the right place at the right time -- you just can't apply old logic or a set in stone approach. you'll actually have coverage if everyone is paying attention and letting the hockey flow. If you stick to old rules you'll be too slow -- if you stick to new rules you'll be thinking you can't keep up but you will be in the right place - it's building the team and lines and all that will keep it right.

:unsure:

ok... not really... but it's one way of building trust in the system :uni: It's SOMETHING like that....

:saddevil: nevermind

:lol:

First off, it's hard for any goalie to stop 2 on 1s. Second, no check line? Didn't we just go get Boulton and CamJan? Third, unbalanced lines. So he's suggesting we should put Kovy-Elias-Parise on the same line and call it a day? We will have one line that has the most talent, but you need to spread it out. You can't load it up on one line and have three crappy lines. Dude is an idiot, end of discussion.

He's so full of sh!t. This team has issues, but he doesn't get them. If we had a check line, he'd (rightfully) complain about line-matching. We fix that, and we can't function without a check line. Elias has been our best defensive forward for years. We don't need guys who can't score to create a special defense line, especially when Zajac gets back. The only guys on the team I don't trust against good scorers are Kovy and Tedenby, but they're easy enough to hide, and Kovy keeps getting better.

You do realize he's talking about a checking/defensive line like Pando/Madden in their heyday...not an actual "body-checking" line.

No, I didn't. I didn't read the article. But, do I care about that? I mean, we have three scoring lines now, schwing.

the Devils are messing with -- it's complicated and I'm not sure I want to go into it -- but then again no one understands a thing I write so no danger blabbing too much yeah?

sometimes i think i do....but ehhh im probably wrong....either way still enjoy trying to figure it all out :boogie:

... yea because "playing the game the right way" means anything specific at all...

He wants the team to put their best foot forward... he also watches a lot of tape and assures everyone the other teams are what he thought they were.

From the article:

PREDICTION

They’ll compete for a playoff spot, but they won’t be their familiar contenders. They were dysfunctional for the first half last season, a juggernaut for much of the second half, and they’re likely to do so again. Kovalchuk will have to score plenty or dysfunction repeats. If they manage to go 43-33-6, that would be 92 points, enough to sneak in.

This sounds about right, really. It's not like Neverson is predicting them to be complete non-factors. There are parts of the article I don't agree with...especially the part where Neverson makes it sound like Brodeur has never florished under coaches not named Lemaire...but more and more this is feeling like a transition year to me. Hard to say that when it could be Brodeur's last year with the team, but unless Larsson, Josefson and Tedenby grow up in a hurry, and the Devils suddenly find chemistry that they really haven't had in years (despite impressive regular season point totals until last season), I can't see them doing any better than the 43-33-6 mark (or something like it) Neverson throws out there.