Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

It's actually a girl who wrote that.  Jaime Grater, she's one of the generals.  She also posts on HF.  

I'm not 100% convinced they completely ignored the fans, but I also don't think they really listened to us either.  But the meat of that letter I agree with.  They should have done a better job of communicating with the fans on this.  Now this has turned into a huge mess.

I for one would 100% be all for bringing back RR2 if fans would stop chanting You Suck.  Granted, I never let the chant ruin my experience at the Rock.  So I guess you can say I'd be in favor of bringing the song back even with the chant.

you can just about bet your ass that the chant will go on if the SNA song is indeed the winner.. people almost had it down and figured out after the first time they heard it

Well written and my sentiments exactly.  However, I am unsure about if the song selection was rigged because with fan forums and technology, online balloting can be really problematic to determine a clean winner.  Just think of all the hanging chads...

Yea I'm not 100% sure either way if they rigged the vote or if the fans really did have a 100% say.

I still don't buy any conspiracy. After such a bad reaction, I am sure whoever was in charge wanted the Devils fans to have their say, but 80% of the votes were prob wasted on voting for the very song they took away in the first place. There had to be some really interesting and unique choices, but maybe there was 1000 single votes for all these songs.

There is no way Seven Nation Army wasn't in the top 3. It's a song that has probably run its course in the sports landscape, but whenever it is played at sporting events, it always sounds awesome. As for the other two songs,maybe they garnered 25-30 votes each and that was enough.  

I agree with this as well.  I'm not convinced in the conspiracy either.  But I'm also not 100% sure if they truly took the fans' submissions seriously.  They didn't exactly narrow down the choices from the beginning.  They let us choose from basically the entire music industry library.  So yea 30 votes for a song would be enough.  But also if that's the case, just by going off of what HF and NJDevs have suggested, Fall Out Boy for example had to have easily that many submissions.  Just taking a wild guess here, but there's maybe 25 people on here who post on a regular basis, and there's significantly more on HF who post regularly on the Devils Board.  So while I don't believe 100% in the conspiracy, I also don't disbelieve it 100% either.

I really think they used the list as "suggestions" rather than "the one with the most votes (Rock & Roll Part II excluded) definitely gets played." While I don't know about a total conspiracy, there is no way in hell you can tell me that that Monster Truck song was the top voted song during the period between the Ranger and Canucks games, when the vast majority of people I've seen had never even heard of the song or band before. I'm a hardcore music fan, and even stuff I don't like I'm at least aware of the existence of. I had never heard of the song or band before the Canucks game.

I think most likely they had their three choices (or at least general ideas), and it was going to take a groundswell of support for one or two songs to really change that, which didn't materialize the way we on NJDevs and Reddit and wherever else really thought it would.

you can just about bet your ass that the chant will go on if the SNA song is indeed the winner.. people almost had it down and figured out after the first time they heard it

This. The only thing is, they play the song so loud now, it makes your ears bleed and prevents it from resonating throughout the arena the way RRPart2 did.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

This. The only thing is, they play the song so loud now, it makes your ears bleed and prevents it from resonating throughout the arena the way RRPart2 did.

IMO the rock has always played the songs way too loud, especially compared to when they were at CAA. Many times you can hear the distortion and have to take a few seconds just to recognize a song I hear all the time.

IMO the rock has always played the songs way too loud, especially compared to when they were at CAA. Many times you can hear the distortion and have to take a few seconds just to recognize a song I hear all the time.

It's horrible.  You can't even have a conversation during stoppages of play.  Probably my biggest complaint about the arena.

(this is not directed to anyone particular on here)

Jesus lord...this thing has been way overblown by the fanbase. 76 pages for a goal song...really? All I care about is the team, the only reason I go to the Rock is to see my team play and that is the only reason why I could deal with the idiocy of our fanbase. Between the obsession with the Rangers, constantly yelling SHOOT, booing the goal song AFTER WE SCORED, chanting Marty when he doesnt even make a save on the play, chanting Swallow and Crosby's watching, the STUPID hockey knowledge of our fanbase, a few morons in the diablos sections, and the constant bitching and monaing about every little thing, this fanbase is something else. Focus on the team for gods sakes. I hate what our fanbase has become, but I am proud to be a season ticket holder becuase I LOVE THIS TEAM, and that is all that should be focused on. I couldnt care less if they blast Britney Spears when they score, cheer for the team, dont boo, or incorporate you suck into everything, its so obsessive.

/rant

Edited by Zubie#8

(this is not directed to anyone particular on here)

Jesus lord...this thing has been way overblown by the fanbase. 76 pages for a goal song...really? All I care about is the team, the only reason I go to the Rock is to see my team play and that is the only reason why I could deal with the idiocy of our fanbase. Between the obsession with the Rangers, constantly yelling SHOOT, booing the goal song AFTER WE SCORED, chanting Marty when he doesnt even make a save on the play, chanting Swallow and Crosby's watching, the STUPID hockey knowledge of our fanbase, a few morons in the diablos sections, and the constant bitching and monaing about every little thing, this fanbase is something else. Focus on the team for gods sakes. I hate what our fanbase has become, but I am proud to be a season ticket holder becuase I LOVE THIS TEAM, and that is all that should be focused on. I couldnt care less if they blast Britney Spears when they score, cheer for the team, dont boo, or incorporate you suck into everything, its so obsessive.

/rant

The things I bolded are not Devils only characteristics.  Every fanbase does something to those extents.  Every team has idiot fans, and trust me when I say the SHOOT thing is far from being only a Devils thing.  Regarding the MARTY chant,several teams have one for their goalie.  A lot of the time, it's hard to tell if the goalie made the save or if the puck hit the post or whatnot.  Watch Canucks games.  The puck can go clearly wide and Nucks fans will do the LUUUUU chant.

I agree I don't like the YOU SUCK chant, and the whistle chant.  I don't like the booing after we score just because some people don't like the song being played afterwards.

But I also don't like the way you completely trashed the fanbase either.  We have a very hockey knowledgeable fanbase.  Most of our fans didn't become fans simply because it was the cool thing to do.  A lot of us didn't or don't have hockey buddies to talk to like we do football or baseball buddies.  So we had to gain all of our hockey knowledge on our own.  Another thing you could have mentioned is the fact we don't fill our own arena every game.  Considering it's a brand new arena, and is one of the nicest arenas in the sport, and this team has plenty of history, we probably should be selling out more often.  But we're also not the only team with attendance issues.

Even with some of the negatives things that comes with our fanbase, this is a very good fanbase to interact with.  I personally enjoy being around our fans a lot.

But I also don't like the way you completely trashed the fanbase either.  We have a very hockey knowledgeable fanbase. 

Hey just my two cents, last few years there has been a steady trend of idiocy increasing in the stands.

EDIT: Of course there are tons of knowledable fans and season ticket holders, didnt mean to throw the entire fanbase under the bus, but it has been getting worse and worse every year. Some of these people do not even respect the sport.

Edited by Zubie#8

Speaking about last season, I think those things kind of come with the territory when you have more people attending games.  The more people are there, the more idiots are there.  I was once at a Wild game in Minnesota a few years ago and was surprised to hear not even once some dumbass yelling, "Shoot!" or anything like that.  Unfortunately we get that stuff around here because this area does not have the kind of hockey culture Minnesota has.  I'd say a very small percentage of hockey fans around here have actually played organized hockey.

Hey just my two cents, last few years there has been a steady trend of idiocy increasing in the stands.

EDIT: Of course there are tons of knowledable fans and season ticket holders, didnt mean to throw the entire fanbase under the bus, but it has been getting worse and worse every year. Some of these people do not even respect the sport.

like the idiots i mentioned going on and on probably drunk in the bathroom about kovy... its a pure lack of knowledge its amazing how incredibly dumb some people honestly are yet they really think they know what theyre talking about.

Speaking about last season, I think those things kind of come with the territory when you have more people attending games.  The more people are there, the more idiots are there.  I was once at a Wild game in Minnesota a few years ago and was surprised to hear not even once some dumbass yelling, "Shoot!" or anything like that.  Unfortunately we get that stuff around here because this area does not have the kind of hockey culture Minnesota has.  I'd say a very small percentage of hockey fans around here have actually played organized hockey.

There are people who yell Shoot everywhere.  I hear Canadian hockey fans complain about it.

we're hockey fans, why do we need to "have class"? Why don't we all come to the game in suits, eat our food in the stands with forks and knives and just give golf claps when our team scores? As long as violence doesn't break out, it's just people letting loose and having some harmless fun at the games. Don't want to join in, no one's asking you to. We aren't "bad" or "idiot" fans for doing it though. We don't have to like or respect the opposition.

About two years ago I was sitting in one of the upper corners and there was this woman in the very last row with a thick spanish accent who kept yelling "Shooooottt!!!" really loud the entire game.  Hell she was doing it when our defenseman had the puck behind our own goal waiting for the line change to complete.  Eventually another woman in our section yelled at her to STFU about 10 min left in the game and it was silent for the rest of the game.

About two years ago I was sitting in one of the upper corners and there was this woman in the very last row with a thick spanish accent who kept yelling "Shooooottt!!!" really loud the entire game.  Hell she was doing it when our defenseman had the puck behind our own goal waiting for the line change to complete.  Eventually another woman in our section yelled at her to STFU about 10 min left in the game and it was silent for the rest of the game.

that would have drove me insane.. no way i wouldve listened to some moron not knowing what the hell she was watching yell all game behind me.. a lot of people really just dont know what theyre watching or talking about.

we're hockey fans, why do we need to "have class"? Why don't we all come to the game in suits, eat our food in the stands with forks and knives and just give golf claps when our team scores? As long as violence doesn't break out, it's just people letting loose and having some harmless fun at the games. Don't want to join in, no one's asking you to. We aren't "bad" or "idiot" fans for doing it though. We don't have to like or respect the opposition.

Exactly...it's a friggen hockey game, with all types of people ...it's called atmosphere 

A lot of people say the Rock is dead during games...we need some loud mouth people to get things going, I dont care if people yell "shoot" or whatever (as long as they dont do the wave)

I don't care who goes to games and people are free to cheer or yell what they want, unless of course it crosses a line. The you suck chant has apparently crossed the line and is not wanted by a portion of the fan base, the organization, and probably the nhl and msg/nbc.

People who want to keep it need to respect that and move on.

I don't care who goes to games and people are free to cheer or yell what they want, unless of course it crosses a line. The you suck chant has apparently crossed the line and is not wanted by a portion of the fan base, the organization, and probably the nhl and msg/nbc.

People who want to keep it need to respect that and move on.

people just need to move on in general.. the topic cant be discussed any further. if you want to chant it when your there go ahead and chant it there will be others doing the same its not going away that easily.. dont want to chant dont chant its that simple.. no need to keep making this more then what it is

people just need to move on in general.. the topic cant be discussed any further. if you want to chant it when your there go ahead and chant it there will be others doing the same its not going away that easily.. dont want to chant dont chant its that simple.. no need to keep making this more then what it is

it is ridiculous how much it has been dragged out, but my point was that there are fellow FANS respectfully asking others to stop the chant. It's not just some rich guy who bought the team and made it priority 1 to stop it.

Chant something positive instead, I don't care but there is clearly a portion of fellow FANS who feel the chants have crossed the line.

I stepped back from this thread for a few days, because I don't like to come on this forum solely to bicker, but at this point I honestly just don't care anymore.  People (myself included) are so entrenched in their own sides that nothing much is being accomplished by discussing it (*cough* politics *cough*).  The reality is, the song's not coming back, and people will cheer what they want to regardless of what people think of it.

From this point forward, I just hope the song isn't embarrassing. That's my only request.  Don't pick some stupid sing-song bullsh!t like the one the other night.  Seven Nation Army was fine and looks great in comparison to the other selections (intentional?).

Let's say you are coaching a game in front of your own friends and family in your own town or city. How would you feel if your team scored a goal, and all your friends and family did afterwards was mock the opposing team instead of showing support for you and your team?

Fans should be celebrating and showing support for their team following a goal instead of mocking the opposition. It makes it seem like we are focused on the opposition screwing up.

Class isn't the issue.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I understand what you're saying, but this is a pretty dangerous statement. Believing that you have the right to say anything you want (which, constitutionally, you do I suppose) as long as it doesn't resort to violence is immature and irresponsible. I love the rivalries in sports but obviously there is a line that we don't want to cross as fans. Consider the guy that threw a banana at Simmonds...not violent, but obviously out of line. We live in a world now that is very sensitive to racial slurs and things that marginalize religions, sexual orientations, etc. and for good reason. Of course people take the PC thing too far, but we have to remember that we're in a public place at the Rock, and there are families around. They're going to hear all kinds of stuff, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean that we need to call Claude Giroux a jerk 100x at the top of our lungs either.

I'm all for relaxing and having fun as you mentioned, but try to remember that we're all civilized people not barbarians. Just because we could act a certain way, doesn't mean we should. We've all been around the drunk guy screaming profanity for 3 hours, and it's obnoxious. If he would focus on cheering for his team, and not against the opponent, he would be more tolerable. And lest you think I'm the PC police, trust me, I've been the drunk idiot before too and it's embarrassing once you sober up. Perhaps I've just learned from some "youthful indiscretion", haha.

Let's say you are coaching a game in front of your own friends and family in your own town or city. How would you feel if your team scored a goal, and all your friends and family did afterwards was mock the opposing team instead of showing support for you and your team?

Fans should be celebrating and showing support for their team following a goal instead of mocking the opposition. It makes it seem like we are focused on the opposition screwing up.

Class isn't the issue.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131998&p=1218202

We all stand up and cheer when we score....the you suck starts (by some fans) when the song is playing