Rangers fans

mouse

Stop mentioning his coaching tenure. It hurts me so... Some people who are my age(23), don't recall Johnny Mac as a devil, having departed in 98, so his coaching tenure is all they remember about him, but he was my favorite growing up and the coaching thing doesn't change my opinion of him as Devil.

It's too bad you missed his peak...sadly he tore up his ACL during the '91-'92 preseason (he missed that year), and though he had some good offensive years after that (37 goals in '93-'94, 29 goals in '96-'97), he was never quite the same.  He was a terrific player from '88-'89 to '90-'91.  I'll always believe he would've popped in 50 in '91-'92 if he hadn't gotten hurt...he was flying during that preseason.  The Devils delayed his ACL reconstructive surgery because they were hoping he might still be able to play with a brace at some point during '91-'92...I think that screwed up his '92-'93 season...he got off to a terrible start (just 3 goals and 4 assists in his first 30 GP, and he looked like a shell of himself), before he started to play like the old Johnny Mac (21 goals and 20 assists over the next 50 GP). 

Oh, and back on topic, in regards to dumb Ranger fans (kind of redundant, really)...I remember last season, quite a few were saying things like "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhh, da Devils gotta win da Cup to get dat taste of nine-dee fawr outta der mouts".  Right, because nothing after '94 ever happened...not '95, '00 or '03, not reaching the finals in '01 or '12, not being relevant for almost every season...nope, somehow only '94 counts.

Because everyone involved with the Rangers still seems to be hung up on '94, they assume everyone else is too.  If you dare try to take them to task on that, or rationally say "Yeah, '94 was hard, but the Devils have since won three Cups and been to five Finals.  I think they moved past '94!" they'll retort with, "Duuuuuuuuhhh, keep tellin' yourself dat, you know dat still bodders dem, Matteau Matteau Matteau, duuuuuuuuhhhhhhh..."   

Oh, and back on topic, in regards to dumb Ranger fans (kind of redundant, really)...I remember last season, quite a few were saying things like "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhh, da Devils gotta win da Cup to get dat taste of nine-dee fawr outta der mouts".  Right, because nothing after '94 ever happened...not '95, '00 or '03, not reaching the finals in '01 or '12, not being relevant for almost every season...nope, somehow only '94 counts.

Because everyone involved with the Rangers still seems to be hung up on '94, they assume everyone else is too.  If you dare try to take them to task on that, or rationally say "Yeah, '94 was hard, but the Devils have since won three Cups and been to five Finals.  I think they moved past '94!" they'll retort with, "Duuuuuuuuhhh, keep tellin' yourself dat, you know dat still bodders dem, Matteau Matteau Matteau, duuuuuuuuhhhhhhh..."   

One of the things I really wish I could go back in time and do is give every Rangers fan I know a MUCH harder time the summers after the Devils won the cups.  At the time I kinda felt sorry for them especially in 2000 and 2003 since their team was just so pathetic.  Now that these same people suddenly got a burst of cockiness the past few seasons it reminded me of how they truly are.

One of the things I really wish I could go back in time and do is give every Rangers fan I know a MUCH harder time the summers after the Devils won the cups.  At the time I kinda felt sorry for them especially in 2000 and 2003 since their team was just so pathetic.  Now that these same people suddenly got a burst of cockiness the past few seasons it reminded me of how they truly are.

precisely the reason why i never take my foot off the pedals with Habs fans.

I hate threads like this, not for any other reason than how angry and frustrating it is to think about all the idiotic things our blue friends come up with on a season-by-season basis. Anything they say just cancels out, it doesn't make sense.

• Making fun of our Kovalchuk contract? And yet during the span of 4-5 years, they've bought/buried Drury, Redden, Gomez, etc., then signed Brad Richards the mega-bust to almost the exact same deal ($6.6667M), and Nash to way more (who's been a bust this playoffs). Then they scramble to get rid of Gaborik's contract.
  • Making fun of our attendance? And yet most fans I know don't go to more than 1 or 2 Rangers home games a year, they simply can't afford it. It's usually a birthday treat or in this particular month, I know someone who got tickets as a graduation gift haha... None of that even matters when you look at our average attendance numbers this year and see the Rangers 3 or 4 spots below us. But blueskirts never look at facts and figures before opening their mouths, why start now?
  • Superiority complex? Somehow they came into this 2012-2013 season with memory loss like we didn't just hand them one of the most damaging and embarrassing series losses at the highest possible level, a level which the Rangers haven't reached in a very very long time. Somehow they forgot about it? The ones that came into our building for the first Rangers-Devils game (which we schooled them in by the way) were just as confrontational and idiotic as the ones after Game 1 of the ECF last year. Somehow, next season, they'll have completely blocked it from their memory, because you know, being the team that kicked us out of the playoffs this year is a greater glory, "revenge" the New York papers said...
  • Their biggest hero in the past decade, their biggest crowd-pleaser was... Sean Avery? The amount these Rangers fans exalted this guys is just way too funny. This was probably one of the fanbase's favorite players for years.... and now he's retired at 32, and dating Bravo's TV show host Andy Cohen.

Yes, I have certainly lived and learned.

Speaking of Habs fans every year they climb higher and higher on my list of worst fans in the NHL.

i feel really lucky that i know like 4 Rangers fans and 4 flyers fans in total and none of them are a$$holes or giving me sh!t at any time and being stupid ignorant or at least if they don't know much they wont try to mouth about the Devils or wtv.

Thats the thing with me, you can give me sh!t about the Devils or anything if you bring facts or intelligent points that i can argue with... but when other fan bases just use ridiculous generalization like our fan base or the trap or god knows... "uneducated comments" i like to call it... That's pissing me off.

im sure there's lots of Rangers fan similar to the Habs fans that i have to deal with of course. But i cant imagine them being worst. most Habs fans from Quebec are that dumb because they are Quebecers.. (sorry for the few people from Quebec here, but there's a chance they agree with me) people from that province REALLY think they are the center of the universe and that everything should work the way they want, they'll make a HUGE deal out of anything they think its unfair to them and manifest and all get together against wtv they are unhappy with... they are REALLY like a bunch of dogs that once one is barking the whole bunch barks it away not even knowing what they are barking about lol

I know they rarely talk hockey but Lupica just blasted Lundqvist on ESPN radio.

For what?  Not joining in on the end-of-game scrum when his team was technically "down" a man?  I wondered if that would get brought up. 

Please, Lupica is such a self-important dork, the little nerd who got beat up and abused by the jocks on a daily basis back in the day.  He wishes he had just the most miniscule amount of athletic ability...just a little wannabe.   

For what?  Not joining in on the end-of-game scrum when his team was technically "down" a man?  I wondered if that would get brought up. 

Please, Lupica is such a self-important dork, the little nerd who got beat up and abused by the jocks on a daily basis back in the day.  He wishes he had just the most miniscule amount of athletic ability...just a little wannabe.   

He was actually blasting him because of his lack of success in the playoffs. He was kind of making the comparison of Hank to Ewing.

I know they rarely talk hockey but Lupica just blasted Lundqvist on ESPN radio.

About what??? Only reason Rangers are in a Game 7 is Henrik... Or a Game 5 or Game 6 for that matter...

He was actually blasting him because of his lack of success in the playoffs. He was kind of making the comparison of Hank to Ewing.

That's pretty dumb. I don't even think Devils fans would stoop that low. Sure, we mention his lack of success when the average Rag fan calls him "King", but I'd never blame it on him. The team and system around him has been a joke for years..

About what??? Only reason Rangers are in a Game 7 is Henrik... Or a Game 5 or Game 6 for that matter...

That's pretty dumb. I don't even think Devils fans would stoop that low. Sure, we mention his lack of success when the average Rag fan calls him "King", but I'd never blame it on him. The team and system around him has been a joke for years..

He's got a GAA well under 2.00 and a save% of .933 dating back to last year's playoffs, and his team is just 13-13 in that time. 

Agree, he's been the least of the Rangers' playoff problems as of late.  He's doing HIS job.

2 - They were joking back and forth as to how "bitter" Devils fans are about the Rangers. Bitter? About what, being the better franchise since 1995? Sure our fan base really hates the Rangers, but "bitter" is chanting Potvin Sucks how many decades later

I don't know about bitter, but far too many Devil fans are just insecure and envious when it comes to the Rangers.  

Anytime, I go to a non-Rangers hockey game at the Rock and some idiot starts the "Rangers sucks" chant during a Devils vs Panthers game, my Ranger friends will just look at me and laugh, because he knows that is just envy and I can't defend that kind of insecurity.  Its actually kind of embarrising as a Devil fan.   I don't like the Rags, and I hate them when we play them, but they haven't done anything to garner that kind of attention.

I don't know about bitter, but far too many Devil fans are just insecure and envious when it comes to the Rangers.  

Anytime, I go to a non-Rangers hockey game at the Rock and some idiot starts the "Rangers sucks" chant during a Devils vs Panthers game, my Ranger friends will just look at me and laugh, because he knows that is just envy and I can't defend that kind of insecurity.  Its actually kind of embarrising as a Devil fan.   I don't like the Rags, and I hate them when we play them, but they haven't done anything to garner that kind of attention.

I agree about the insecurity thing with some, but what exactly do the Devils fans have to be envious of?  This isn't, say, Mets fans wishing they had a history and tradition of success approaching what the Yankees have enjoyed.  Too many Rangers fans THINK playing in New York somehow makes them the Yankees of the NHL, but their history has been kind of a joke.  Not one Cup from 1941-1993?!  It's often forgotten that the Red Wings also had a loooooooooong stretch of insignificance, but they clearly with all of their recent success, that is understandably overlooked and forgotten.  Not only have the Rangers basically done little overall since 1941 other than 1994, they did little when they had the means to out-spend and out-resource just about any team that they wanted to.  I'm just not sure what is there for Devils fans to envy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I agree about the insecurity thing with some, but what exactly do the Devils fans have to be envious of?  This isn't, say, Mets fans wishing they had a history and tradition of success approaching what the Yankees have enjoyed.  Too many Rangers fans THINK playing in New York somehow makes them the Yankees of the NHL, but their history has been kind of a joke.  Not one Cup from 1941-1993?!  It's often forgotten that the Red Wings also had a loooooooooong stretch of insignificance, but they clearly with all of their recent success, that is understandably overlooked and forgotten.  Not only have the Rangers basically done little overall since 1941 other than 1994, they did little when they had the means to out-spend and out-resource just about any team that they wanted to.  I'm just not sure what is there for Devils fans to envy. 

It's probably the media attention that the Rangers get in the New York market, but that is an issue of geography more than anything.   Not sure why people would get so jealous of that.   

I usually just point to the fact that we have been to the finals several times in the past decade + and the Rangers haven't come near it. 

I don't think it has much to do with insecurity.  I think the issue is how obnoxiously arrogant Rangers fans get over every minor achievement and how much media attention and praise they get for no reason while the Devils rarely get the praise they deserve, which even Martin Brodeur mentioned at the press conference after they eliminated the Rangers last year and Scott Stevens alluded to during his speech at his jersey retirement ceremony.

I don't think it has much to do with insecurity.  I think the issue is how obnoxiously arrogant Rangers fans get over every minor achievement and how much media attention and praise they get for no reason while the Devils rarely get the praise they deserve, which even Martin Brodeur mentioned at the press conference after they eliminated the Rangers last year and Scott Stevens alluded to during his speech at his jersey retirement ceremony.

Again, that has more to do with geography.   If the Devils played in NYC they would be the darlings of the media.

As a hockey fan, you should have enough intelligence to consider the source of those minor achievements compared to the Devils achievements. 

That doesn't excuse the insecurity of the Devil "fans" screaming out "Rangers suck" during a Senators/Devils game.    It's the equivalent of going out on a date, getting drunk and having your date talk about his/her ex- all night, 

My guess is your Rangers fan friends don't think twice about the "Potvin sucks" chants they do 12 times a game at the Garden.  Potvin has been retired for almost 20 years and they still do it, but its ok for the Rags because its "tradition."   

The "rangers suck" chant is at least somewhat relevant during a Devils/Sens game in February because (a) the Rags still play in the NHL, and (b) they do actually suck.  Rags fans don't like it because deep down inside they know its the truth. 

Again, that has more to do with geography.   If the Devils played in NYC they would be the darlings of the media.

As a hockey fan, you should have enough intelligence to consider the source of those minor achievements compared to the Devils achievements. 

That doesn't excuse the insecurity of the Devil "fans" screaming out "Rangers suck" during a Senators/Devils game.    It's the equivalent of going out on a date, getting drunk and having your date talk about his/her ex- all night, 

It's tradition. Why stop the "Rangers suck!" chant?

But I will say, the "Rangers suck!" chant every 5 minutes throughout 3 periods (especially when losing) is the dumbest most embarrassing thing our fans do sometimes. C'mon (dude whistling), learn how to know when a joke is dead.

It's tradition. Why stop the "Rangers suck!" chant?

But I will say, the "Rangers suck!" chant every 5 minutes throughout 3 periods (especially when losing) is the dumbest most embarrassing thing our fans do sometimes. C'mon (dude whistling), learn how to know when a joke is dead.

I've been going to Devils games for about 20 years now.  This "tradition" of the Rangers Suck chants only go back about 10 years at most.  Plus when they used to do it, only a handful of people would chant it and not a quarter of the arena.  Only since the move to Newark do I hear them now going at least 3 times a period.

To sum it up, it's not a tradition.

Please stop it.

Edited by DevsMan84

My guess is your Rangers fan friends don't think twice about the "Potvin sucks" chants they do 12 times a game at the Garden.  Potvin has been retired for almost 20 years and they still do it, but its ok for the Rags because its "tradition."   

The "rangers suck" chant is at least somewhat relevant during a Devils/Sens game in February because (a) the Rags still play in the NHL, and (b) they do actually suck.  Rags fans don't like it because deep down inside they know its the truth. 

That still doesn't make it relevent at all.

Let the Rangers and their fans have their dumb "traditions."  Just ripping one of theirs off for the past 8-10 years doesn't make ours right or better.

I swear every year I hear more of the Rangers suck chants than I do of "Let's go Devils" and it just shows what a huge inferiority complex our fanbase has.

• Like 1