1. 1. What do you remember most?

• Stephane Richer & Claude Lemieux
    • Niedermayer "end to end" in game 2
    • the crash line
    • Mike Peluso crying on the bench missing his last shift
    • "you're next"
    • Stevens hit on Kozlov
    • McKay's OT goal vs. Boston

Mike Peluso unable to take his last shifts because he was crying on the bench. That I'll never forget.

...how that moment isn't on the list/poll is a crime. Watching Peluso as the game ended (and even during the handshakes) really tells the story. Tells the story of his career, this organization, (at the time) and the importance of the Stanley Cup in general. It's what every hockey player dreams of. It still makes me emotional to this day seeing a guy as tough as Mike was behave like that. Such a powerful moment.

What I remember most is not anything from any of the games, but the parking lot parade. I remember Rowdy making a thread about this awhile back and posting the entire story in there.

Not I. I didn't go to the parade.

I know I've posted this before, but here's my story: For a number of years, the family would head to northern Vermont for the last week of June, leaving on a Saturday and returning the next Saturday. In 1995, the day we got there happened to be the day of Game 4. At that time, Burlington didn't have a Fox affiliate yet but the national feed was available, as was CBC from Montreal. I don't remember much about the game itself; I remember wanting to flip over to CBC to check out the legendary HNIC coverage but not wanting to give up listening to Doc in the process. I remember being struck by the Devils fans booing the living sh!t out of Bettman when he came out to present the Cup. I remember still being up after everyone else had gone to bed. I remember flipping between Fox and CBC after the game, trying to take in as much Cup celebration and post-game coverage as possible. I remember still being wired for a couple hours after both networks had signed off from the Meadowlands; I had ESPN on hoping they'd rerun the late SportsCenter for the West Coast so I could soak up one last bit of glory before going to bed that night. (I don't think they did. Either that or I gave up waiting.)

speaking of Peluso, the man MISSED HIS SHIFT because he was so happy! in the playoffs, players with broken limbs and no cartilege (sp) in the knee still go out and skate, but to CRY - that's legendary! :)

also, Broten's OT goal vs Pittsburgh is one of my favorites and doesnt get the recognition it deserves. he also scored the Devils other goal on a textbook "this is why you keep your stick on the ice" play.

Lemieux Game 5 vs Philly "That lady's look says it all!"

From the CBC call "Shot is blocked by Chambers! Two on one! THREE on one!! Holik............SCOOOOOOOOOORES!" (which of course was McKay's goal in Game 6 v Philly)

FUN times, it was.

What I remember most is not anything from any of the games, but the parking lot parade. I remember Rowdy making a thread about this awhile back and posting the entire story in there.

Actually, I lied, I do remember one thing distinctly better than others from the games: Mike Peluso unable to take his last shifts because he was crying on the bench. That I'll never forget.

Ha! Yeah man, another classic moment. That's why, when I found a 1995 Stanley Cup Patch, I decided Peluso would be the name on the jersey I put it on.

Another one of my favorite things about that Cup....

22 men won their first cup that night. A true TEAM.

Ha! Yeah man, another classic moment. That's why, when I found a 1995 Stanley Cup Patch, I decided Peluso would be the name on the jersey I put it on.

Another one of my favorite things about that Cup....

22 men won their first cup that night. A true TEAM.

It's weird you mention that, I'm looking at the poster I got at the parade that lists everyone, and I'm trying to figure out who the two who had already won the Cup are. I know Pepe won it in Montreal, who was the other?

It's weird you mention that, I'm looking at the poster I got at the parade that lists everyone, and I'm trying to figure out who the two who had already won the Cup are. I know Pepe won it in Montreal, who was the other?

Richer

They made the NYI 4-SCC DVD this past season and was hoping that the same NHL DVD company will be making a Devils DVD of the 3-SCC along with Brodeur's 552 from this past season along with Brodeur's other winning milestones and games. Hopefully it will be out this coming season. The NHL and the DVD company has made it also for the Rangers and some other teams in the past. The Devils are long overdue for their DVD.

I have a VHS to DVD machine... If anyone's interested in a bootleg, PM me.

Mike Peluso crying has got to be the best for me. Watching that really hits ya exactly how important the Cup is.

Lets also not forget Brylin falling back into the bench after they won game 4. Though not a particularly moving moment it was still hilarious

Or Randy McKay almost dropping the Cup and knocking the Devils logo off his hat in the process during the post-game Cup hand-off :lol:

Edited by CRASHER

Or Randy McKay almost dropping the Cup and knocking the Devils logo off his hat in the process during the post-game Cup hand-off :lol:

So THAT'S why McKay's hat had no logo?! Hot damn, I spend years looking at my '95 Cup poster and wondering why his hat had that big blank spot in the middle.

So THAT'S why McKay's hat had no logo?! Hot damn, I spend years looking at my '95 Cup poster and wondering why his hat had that big blank spot in the middle.

Yeah it took re-watching the actual FOX game to see that and realize what happened to it.... had to figure they kinda really fast took off the Detroit logos and stuck ours on cursing the whole way :P

Lets also not forget Brylin falling back into the bench after they won game 4. Though not a particularly moving moment it was still hilarious

Lol, they showed a clip of it during the OT in Game 5 of the finals in 2000:

Lol, I always wondered that too. I remember Holik telling McKay to stand still(or something of that nature) when he got the Cup in 2000, because of him nearly fumbling it in 1995!

For me, it really was the entire experience, from the opening faceoff in Game 1 against Boston right through the final seconds of Game 4. I was lucky enough to be there for Rounds 3 and 4...me and a friend of mine (a Flyer fan) decided to buy 8-game strips, and suffice it to say that laying out that kind of money back then (don't remember how much exactly) was a very big deal.

If I had to pin it down to any one thing, what I remember most fondly is the way so many Devils fans came together. For so long no one really respected us, and in our entire (mostly sad) history to that point, only once did this team put up a regular season record that could truly be considered elite, and that had been the season before, in '93-'94. Although the Devils did play better down the stretch in '95, they still finished just 22-18-8 (5th seed), and although we all hoped for the best, how many Devils fans can REALLY say they expected that team to not only win it all, but do it in such dominant and exciting fashion, going 16-4? The magic carpet-ride, surreal feel of it all just made it such a blast. The ECF and SCF games were so much fun, in that everyone was having such a great time...it really felt like one big community, one big party, both in and outside the building, where perfect strangers were suddenly talking hockey and simply enjoying each other's company, sharing stories about the "old days" over beers and BBQ. I was lucky enough to run into two former high school buddies in the parking lot before Game 4, who were surrounded by some of the coolest Devils fans I've ever met...once they found it was my birthday, as soon as my beer was empty, a full one was in my hand before I could blink. I look back on those days and I miss them. Let's face it...a team doesn't gain new fans by losing, and with that '95 SC win a new (and needed) crop of Devils fans was born. Unfortunately that group, and the many who have since joined, have known mostly nothing but success...even with the recent hiccups and early-round eliminations, this team has enjoyed so much more long-term prosperity than most other NHL teams. And it's these relative newcomers who tend to lose sight of that too often, and forget to appreciate what Lou, Marty and many others have brought to this franchise.