New Jersey Devils Draft Party

GoArmySports

I got in line at about 4:15-4:20ish. I didnt get in the sale until like 6:10-6:30 (lost track of time) and honestl I did not plan to spend more than $40. But I walked out with 2 game worn jerseys and the tiffany glasses and I am pretty happy. I got a couple of sticks a couple years back and right now I do not even have them in my place. Instead they are at my parent's place with my other old sticks collecting dust. Just not my thing.

As for the VIP area, what kind of food was it that was so terrible? When I read that part on the Devils website, I did imagine a small, cramped room with only 2 or 3 average sized TV's and small, sh!tty stadium-quality finger food and tiny drinks the size of sample cups. Am I right in that description? I have learned over the years that almost anything that sounds cool advertised by the Devils as a perk or something special usually turns out to be cheap or bush-league quality.

As for the draft party as a whole, I did have a pretty good time. I got a free can of Pepsi Max and since I rarely drink much caffiene, I am now up and shaking as I type this now lol. Better than paying $5 for a soda from the little food stand that only sold $5 hot dogs. Couldn't Nathans sponsor that to be $1 hot dogs? lol. The screen outside was ok and did it's job. Only other complaints was the band was loud (they were facing towards a large brick wall that was only about 60 feet away and therefore was making it sound even louder) and the sound during the drafting process was kinda too quiet.

Cookies, popcorn and pretzels. There was no dinner food, so I guess that pissed some people off. I was holding a little bit of hope for sandwiches, but really, they just would have gotten raided anyway. And they had bins of mini bottles of Pepsi products, so you could have as many as you wanted. Yeah, it's not the fire lounge, but I also have to PAY in the fire lounge when they do these things. I actually thought the room was funny, it's like getting the expierence of being a Nets fan, where they tell you they invented a club for you, and it's some old office/big storeage area, painted over with some TV's. lol.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have 15 years to get a Kovalchuk stick and it's pretty well set in stone that this is an every year event now, not something that's tentative each year. That's why it didn't bother me to miss it this year and that's why it shouldn't get people upset about missing out on anything.

Well we aren't going to have one the year Lou has to give up the first-rounder, or at least we haven't had them in years past when Lou's traded our first-rounders.

There's just never, ever going to be enough supply to meet demand. Quite honestly they SHOULD be catering to the VIP/STH's as much as possible, especially since they already get ticked off enough that 80% of games get discounted for cheaper than they pay for their tickets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Really? I thought there were Parise sticks there 2 years ago. at least that's what I remember.

I saw one 2 yrs ago. Wasn't an Easton stick though.

It is long noted that a Parise stick at these events are less likely than winning the lottery.

Edited by mac760

So nobody had a good time at this party or is it a different perspective if you weren't going there for the sale? I wanted to go just to be there and watch it with other Devils fans but didn't feel like standing in the rain to get drenched on to watch the first four picks of the draft on the dopey LED screen or whatever they put it on. I usually do go when it's inside the arena, but it was definitely weather-contingent this year.

I thought it was fine, my only complaint was the lady at the entrance that gave us a hard time about trying to buy stuff from them.

I just go to these things to hang out with my fellow Devils fans, maybe grab a bite to eat, and pick up a cheap T-shirt or mug or whatever. With that in mind, I thought the party was OK, if not a little cramped.

At least it gave me an excuse to wear my Rangers Suck T-shirt.

I'm just happy the Devs gave us a chance to do it again this year.

Edited by 95Crash

So let me get this straight Quinn...

First, you think the VIP access is unfair to non-season ticket holders? Not true. I'm not a STH, and I still got in early. Having early access to the sale was important enough for me to spend...wait for it...a whopping $30 on a VIP pass.

Second, the VIP guests should get in early, but not be allowed to buy equipment? Yeah, OK, that makes so much sense....what's VIP about that? Nothing. What a great VIP reward it would be for the season ticket holders to get in early just to stare at the sticks, no touching allowed, only to wait for the rest of the crowd to file in. What a stupid expectation.

You honestly expected to get the top names in the general admission line? That's unrealistic. Many VIPs didn't even get the top names. If you wanted the good stuff bad enough, you needed to A) buy a VIP ticket and B) get there early. You clearly didn't care enough to do either, but you want to have your cake and eat it too?

I'm sorry if this is harsh, but it just annoys me that no matter what the Devils do, nobody is ever happy. They put a stick limit this year AND raised prices to try to make the supply last, what more do you want? Oh yeah, you want everyone to wait for you...the king.

Plus, when you got in, were there sticks there? Yeah, plenty. Just because it was Pelley and Rolston doesn't mean the Devils did anything wrong. They promised you an equipment sale and you got one.

To clear up the rumors that are incorrectly starting to spread...there were no Parise sticks. There never are. There were plenty of sticks with Parise's name on them, but they were used by other players (as evident by the tape job and numbers written on them).

Secondly, and more importantly, nobody had a pile of Kovy sticks they were selling for $100. What DID happen though is people would see others with Kovy sticks and offer them money for them, since they didn't find any on their own. And really, wow can you blame someone for giving up a stick with a $100 bribe being waved in front of their face? I saw this happen at least three times with at least three different people (buyers and sellers, so actually I saw at least six people participating in this).

Whoever mentioned the Kovy for $100 sales earlier in the thread made it seem like one guy grabbed all the Kovy's and held them hostage for $100, which is not true. The money for Kovy swapping that I saw going on was strictly voluntary and was happening all over the place!

Also, to refute another incorrect assumption made in this thread....hardly anyone, from the people I saw and talked to, was buying to sell for profit. With a 4-stick limit, there just wasn't room for that kind of crap.

Edited by JWomp

I remember seeing someone have around 12-16 sticks, trying to get other people to buy them for him, and then he would pay them back. He had some pretty nice stick too, 2 clarksons, 2 hedbergs, a josefson, a Zajac, and some others I forget now looking at which his gf i guess was holding.

Lady labor, that's the new thing I guess now with the equipment sale.

The equipment sale was total BS. I had arrived at 5:20 with my VIP pass and got nothing, My friends who were several of the 50 first people in got nothing because people broke the rules and bought twice if not three times the limit of sticks, gloves, etc. Whoever ran this event needs to go back to school because this was beyond poorly executed. I, along with several others will be sending emails to ownership to assist them in a job they should have qualified people for. To think this was an actual perk blows my mind because the incentive got taken away within in the first 5 minutes. I feel bad for anyone who waited outside without a VIP pass.

I lied, this was the only thing I purchased and while it was only worth $1 to me it's priceless

found below http://yfrog.com/h8lf9ijej

Since earlier this evening, I had two separate VIP people tell me about the Kovalchuk situation and both stories were strikingly the same observations. Both of those two people, i'd trust because they'd have no reason to fabricate stories or offer protection (at least that's been my experience).

Now, i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt somewhat here as your eyes can decieve you and you can easily let your imagination run away with you, especailly if it's something that looks alot worse then it is and dealing with the madness of these sales. You can easily see something that isn't. I guess the truth lies somewhere in between or whatever you beleive.

Thanks to those in line who helped me out and thought of me today, always nice to know who's looking out for you!

Edited by SJP20

The equipment sale was total BS. I had arrived at 5:20 with my VIP pass and got nothing, My friends who were several of the 50 first people in got nothing because people broke the rules and bought twice if not three times the limit of sticks, gloves, etc. Whoever ran this event needs to go back to school because this was beyond poorly executed. I, along with several others will be sending emails to ownership to assist them in a job they should have qualified people for. To think this was an actual perk blows my mind because the incentive got taken away within in the first 5 minutes. I feel bad for anyone who waited outside without a VIP pass.

I lied, this was the only thing I purchased and while it was only worth $1 to me it's priceless

ROTFL, someone else bought one. I passed on that two times, and they still had them. I had to get one this time.

You mean you arrived AFTER the sale started and got nothing? Shocker. The VIP pass just gets you in first, it doesn't mean there will be things left when you show up late.

They are still trying to sell those things? Why the hell did they have them in the first place?

I had a good time. Ended up with a Kovy (with a lot of help from Ds88, JWomp and Joe), an Arnott and a Volchenkov. Had a Hedberg but traded it for the Kovy. I liked the limit and the price increase. They made things a lot fairer than in years past. One of the problems here is that 4 of the more desirable players had about 5 sticks there combined (no Marty, Parise (obviously), Tedenby (that I saw) and a handful of Josefsons). With Kovy, there were a decent amount and the first 10 or so guys in all picked up a handful of them but I saw nobody with a ridiculous amount. I was 30th in line and shocked to even sniff a Kovy. Any complaints are sour grapes at this point (which I understand if you waited all day for a poor selection but, if that's the case, your expectations were unreasonably high). Also worth noting is that the guys who picked up the stacks of Kovys were there as early as 5AM. The early bird gets the worm. Last comment is that I agree with Ken that the limit should be one stick per player but with a higher total stick limit.

Oh jeeze. Here we go again 2 days in a row. :rolleyes:

Quinn-I almost wanna give you the $900 or so dollars to buy a balcony season ticket just so you stop whining like a little baby.

the sooner you learn life isn't always fair the better you will be.

$75 is almost 4 games in the balcony for this season.

Just adding my feedback...

Overall, I'll add myself to the list of those that had no problem with the sale and draft party, although it was a little disappointing compared to years past.

I had VIP tickets and arrived at about 3:00. After purchasing them last year and seeing the benefit of getting into the sale before the general line, it was an easy choice as one of the STH perk options with next season's renewal. It may be wise for the Devils to consider selling a very limited amount of VIP tickets next year for non-STH, but as mentioned by other posters, it was possible to buy the VIP tickets this year from the STH who didn't want to go. There were a lot of hockey players that did so and arrived early this morning to ensure that they would get their best possible choice of equipment.

There definitely seemed to be much less this year in terms of total quantity and variety of items, but it seemed like the stick limit and higher price kept the stock available for longer than in past years. I bought several merchandise items, and left satisfied with the sale.

The scheduling conflict aside, I think the Devils did the best they could with the situation they were left with. They could have only had a STH Draft Party and Equipment Sale, which would have pissed more people off. Other teams hold their Draft Parties only for STH.

The "Season Ticket Holder Locker Room" inside was actually the Nets' Courtside Club, which was too small for the amount of STH who came for the event, and many went back outside. The food and drinks were exactly what the email said - snacks and soft drinks. The biggest perk was being inside out of the rain.

I understand where the non-STH are coming from, as I was in that group until a few years ago. However, if the team wants to sell Season Tickets, there have to be perks that are desired by fans, and the early access to the equipment sale is clearly one of them. While it may be upsetting to fans who are not in the position to become STH at this time, it is reality of selling season tickets.

Wow, people are so bent out of shape over how the equipment sale went; maybe the team just shouldn't have it. I mean, judging from the way that different people expect it to be run, the eq. sale seems to be a no-win scenario for the organization. The event's purpose is enjoyment for fans, but if there's always going to be far more frustration than fun generated by it, why even bother? How hard could it be to hire someone part-time to sell all of this stuff on ebay?

This is exactly what I am saying. If you cant afford season tickets you have to go stand in line, which I am fine with. Thats not what my gripe is with. What I have a problem with is the fact that you, as a VIP, got in there before everyone else. I get that, and because of that you "left with some great stuff." Me on the other hand, because I am a college student, can not afford season tickets. When I got in there, there where more sticks of Rolston and Rasmussen sticks then anyone else. I shouldnt have to buy season tickets or go out and spend more money on a VIP ticket that I buy off of someone else. Your benfit is getting in there almost an hour before I did, not the first shot at anything you want. That is the wrong part. Your are a season ticket holder....not a king.

Quinn, it sounds to me like your point essentially is that this should not be one of the Devils season ticket incentives, and they should look for other things to offer. I haven't heard a proposed fix that leaves VIP access very desirable. Given the limited supply of the all-coveted sticks, I don't think such a fix exists. Some STH's, like me, don't care much about used equipment, so I didn't select this as my early renewal reward. For some other people I guess, this could be what's puts the season ticket option over the top of little plans or buying tickets game-to-game, and it costs the team almost nothing to offer to the STH's. So this event should be a win-win for them, but from the complaints I'm starting to think that it may be a lose-lose.

Edited by Devils Dose

Wow, people are so bent out of shape over how the equipment sale went; maybe the team just shouldn't have it. I mean, judging from the way that different people expect it to be run, the eq. sale seems to be a no-win scenario for the organization. The event's purpose is enjoyment for fans, but if there's always going to be far more frustration than fun generated by it, why even bother? How hard could it be to hire someone part-time to sell all of this stuff on ebay?

Quinn, it sounds to me like your point essentially is that this should not be one of the Devils season ticket incentives, and they should look for other things to offer. I haven't heard a proposed fix that leaves VIP access very desirable. Given the limited supply of the all-coveted sticks, I don't think such a fix exists. Some STH's, like me, don't care much about used equipment, so I didn't select this as my early renewal reward. For some other people I guess, this could be what's puts the season ticket option over the top of little plans or buying tickets game-to-game, and it costs the team almost nothing to offer to the STH's. So this event should be a win-win for them, but from the complaints I'm starting to think that it may be a lose-lose.

Bingo. You can't please everyone, and it seems like the complaints never stop. The team is definitely in a lose-lose situation because there is always going to be more angry people that did not get a Kovy stick than the 20 or so out of the masses who do get one. I am guessing next year the event will be even more regulated than this year's....

Whoever mentioned the Kovy for $100 sales earlier in the thread made it seem like one guy grabbed all the Kovy's and held them hostage for $100, which is not true. The money for Kovy swapping that I saw going on was strictly voluntary and was happening all over the place!

Also, to refute another incorrect assumption made in this thread....hardly anyone, from the people I saw and talked to, was buying to sell for profit. With a 4-stick limit, there just wasn't room for that kind of crap.

I just saw this post, and this is 100% accurate. Nobody grabbed Kovy sticks and was actively trying to "sell" them to people inside the sale. I did see tons of people going up to others who had Kovy sticks in their hand and offering to trade them something they had, or offer to "buy" it. I got a Kovy stick and had tons of people approach me, it was extremely annoying. After awhile I tried to conceal to keep the beggars away! I had 0 interest in giving it up, but the $100 bribes were too good to pass up for some people I guess....