New Jersey Devils Draft Party

GoArmySports

I got in the VIP line at 430 didnt get any stick cause none really caught my eye except the volchenkov. But I am happy because I ended up getting 10 official Devils used pucks for 10 bucks. I am actually surprised that there were that many people that chose the VIP option as their STH perk.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not say that there should not be any benefits to STH'ers. There should be. If you spend the money on season tickets, then you deserve it. I wouldnt care if you all went in 2 hours early thats not the issue. I just dont think it was fair to put out all the sticks at once becasue by the time that the 300th person or even 1000th or whatever got in there, they didnt have much to choose from. After reading everything from past years here and on other boards, I thought they would have it all lined up like they did but when it started to widdle down, they would dump more sticks down, random player sticks. Hell, Id even be alright with giving STH'ers 50 percent off everything because they are already spending so much on season tickets as it is. You are all getting my point wrong. I was not looking to piss any of you off, that was not my intentions, as it never is. Actually, I would hate if any of you "main guys" disliked me. I was just pissed that I drove 2 hours down there, after calling out of what I had to do yesterday, stand in line at several points in the rain, only to just really have to choose from what everyone else didnt want. LIke I said, I guess thats because I have never attended one of these before and my hopes were way to high. I learned my lesson, if I plan on attending this again and my goal is to go for a certain player stick, then Ill invest in a VIP ticket. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone with my previous posts, being in a car with a few stupid people didnt help my attitude.

Edited by Quinn01

I just dont think it was fair to put out all the sticks at once becasue by the time that the 300th person or even 1000th or whatever got in there, they didnt have much to choose from.

Then what'd be the purpose of getting there early or advertising that as a benefit on a VIP ticket? Even people who got there early didn't get what they wanted in some cases, and that would be only more exacerbated if they staggered out the sticks more.

Nobody's mad at you, we just think you're being a bit unfair to the Devils here. I'll call them out when they screw something up, god knows they do that enough but from what I've heard it doesn't sound like as if there's too much they really could have done without pissing off the people who do get there early, get the access as a STH perk or pay for one of the VIP passes beforehand.

So this event should be a win-win for them, but from the complaints I'm starting to think that it may be a lose-lose.

It'll never be lose-lose for the Devils, not when they have a cash cow they can take advantage of every draft day. Granted, the majority aren't going to be happy but you can't please everyone. It's like being annoyed you got to the $10 gameday ticket line at 3:30 and didn't get a wristband after waiting there two hours.

Edited by NJDevs4978

anyone that got in early on the VIP line, were there actually any gloves there? I was one of the first 50 on regular line and by the time I got in there was nothing left.

I got in pretty early. There weren't many gloves or other gear besides sticks. They had a good amount of shoulder pads...and huge bulky pants. Also had a fair amount of skates...some without chassis. There were plenty of sticks and it was fairly organized until someone knocked over half of them and people were on there knees just digging like animals. I just looked for the s19 logo...

Overall I think they did as good of a job as they could have...only thing that pissed me off was that kid hoarding and reselling Kovy sticks..what a dick move.

anyone that got in early on the VIP line, were there actually any gloves there? I was one of the first 50 on regular line and by the time I got in there was nothing left.

I was the last person there, not on the VIP line, the actual last person there, and there were still three pairs left.

Also, I don't want to be lumped in with people complaining about lack of selection when they got there. There wasn't much left by the time I got in but I was expecting it to be like that, I was actually surprised at the amount of sticks left. My beef was just with how much arguing I had to do with the lady at the front to let us in. Of course it would have been easier if I brought my ticket, but they were meaningless--there was no line anymore, the tickets were free and unlimited, and we were going to spend money.

Edited by devilsfan26

They had a good amount of shoulder pads...and huge bulky pants.

Yea I picked up a pair of shoulder pads because I want something smaller than what I'm using now and I thought these looked smaller. Unfortunately they are like twice as bulky even though it's a size smaller, oh well it was only $25. Those bulky pants are goalie pants. My friend is a goalie and almost bought one, not sure why he didn't though.

Overall I think they did as good of a job as they could have...only thing that pissed me off was that kid hoarding and reselling Kovy sticks..what a dick move.

Obviously, something went on yesterday. Somewhere between the accusations and defense of it, there's the truth.

Actually, the more i think about it, the Devils sort of created an artifical market by putting a limit on it. Sure, you could only buy 4, but that didn't prevent someone from grabbing and walking around with twice/three times that and becoming an umbrella salesman in a rainstorm. So, if some enterprising individual early in line thought of that and had the pre-meditated notion to do it, then they achieved their goal. Some will find nothing wrong with it and defend it as some form of capitalism, while others will call it a dick move and see it for what it is.

I agree with an earlier sentiment, even when the Devils win, they really lose.

Edited by SJP20

I was third in and went straight to the gloves. I got the players I wanted but there really wasn't the selection that they had in the past.

Also, being third in I did not see a Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri or Fayne stick so those who were not VIP and such don't feel bad about those players. Getting early I got a Kovy but I did not see anyone grabbing a bunch of Kovy's and selling them. I was in there for a while so I am suprised I missed that but who knows it was choatic in there.

As ThreeCups sAid so many people were coming up asking to buy my stuff. That part was getting annoyin cause people were literally grabbing my sticks that were in my hands and asking to buy them.

Edited by Souray44

You mean you arrived AFTER the sale started and got nothing? Shocker. The VIP pass just gets you in first, it doesn't mean there will be things left when you show up late.

Did you not read the part where my friends were the first to get in and got nothing because people weren't respecting the rules. Had I gotten there when they did I still would have gotten nothing.

Anyone who thought this was run well is out of their mind, oh hey here's the stuff in a pile go nuts ya heathens!

Obviously, something went on yesterday. Somewhere between the accusations and defense of it, there's the truth.

Actually, the more i think about it, the Devils sort of created an artifical market by putting a limit on it. Sure, you could only buy 4, but that didn't prevent someone from grabbing and walking around with twice/three times that and becoming an umbrella salesman in a rainstorm. So, if some enterprising individual early in line thought of that and had the pre-meditated notion to do it, then they achieved their goal. Some will find nothing wrong with it and defend it as some form of capitalism, while others will call it a dick move and see it for what it is.

I agree with an earlier sentiment, even when the Devils win, they really lose.

Ken, that simply didn't happen, no matter what people are telling you. I was in the first 10 spots, and I saw what happened, with my own eyes, to all of the Kovy sticks. Hoarding and re-selling was NOT going on. Sure, people grabbed more than four, but they dispersed them to friends, or traded them for other things they wanted.

Any selling that was taking place was initiated by the buyer. The $100 bills were flying, and it was not because those with the Kovy sticks were asking for money or trying to peddle them. It was because people who were 30th or 40th in knew their only shot and getting a Kovy would be to pry it away with a lucrative offer from someone holding multiples.

I grabbed three Kovy sticks myself, bought two, and gave one away to some kid...for free.

Edited by JWomp

Did you not read the part where my friends were the first to get in and got nothing because people weren't respecting the rules. Had I gotten there when they did I still would have gotten nothing.

Anyone who thought this was run well is out of their mind, oh hey here's the stuff in a pile go nuts ya heathens!

I did read that part, but I'm calling BS.

The Devils did not allow anyone to check out with more than 4 sticks, plain and simple. Like I said, plenty of people grabbed more than 4 sticks, but had to cut that number down by giving sticks to friends, putting sticks back, or having somebody else buy the sticks for them. But nobody passed through that checkout line with more than 4 sticks a piece.

There were a lot of gloves, but not as many as in the past. Gloves I saw: Kovy, Zajac, Arnott, Fraser, Corrente, and a handful of others.

In general, the amount of stock was down. It seemed like less sticks were available (especially less game issued sticks and goalie sticks), and even the old clearance merchandise section was skimpy.

What was a nice surprise was the $75 selection of old pre-season and game issued jerseys. Some of the jerseys had great game use on them, and there were crazy names in that pile, from guys like Mike Peluso and Bobby Carpenter to Mike Commodore, Ari Ahonen GI with 2003 Cup patch, Frederic Henry, Ben Hankinson, Matus Kostur, Christian Berglund, even a Brian Rafalski, which I saw an employee snatch up before the sale began.

Edited by JWomp

That is pretty solid of you. Was it some random little kid that you made his day?

Yeah, early on in the sale when I first grabbed them, some kid asked me if I was going to buy all three. I told him no, I didn't need it, and just gave it to him. As badly as I wanted all three, I couldn't take up 75% of my stick limit on Kovys!

Then, the other two Kovys I had left both had red grips on them, and I traded one for a Kovy stick with a black grip. So technically out of the 3 Kovys I grabbed I only ended up keeping one, but bought two total.

I would have loved the game used mike peluso jersey. If anyone got it I am willing to trade my Kevin dean or smehlik jersey for it.

I dug the Peluso and Carpenter up from the bottom of the pile but didn't end up buying them.

What was a nice surprise was the $75 selection of old pre-season and game issued jerseys. Some of the jerseys had great game use on them, and there were crazy names in that pile, from guys like Mike Peluso and Bobby Carpenter to Mike Commodore, Ari Ahonen GI with 2003 Cup patch, Frederic Henry, Ben Hankinson, Matus Kostur, Christian Berglund, even a Brian Rafalski, which I saw an employee snatch up before the sale began.

Wow that is awesome. There were still a lot of jerseys even when I got there. Of course no big players, guys like Dagenais, Birbraer, etc. I saved some guy from thinking the Jensen jersey he found was a Janssen jersey though. My friend bought a preseason worn red and green jersey.

Wow that is awesome. There were still a lot of jerseys even when I got there. Of course no big players, guys like Dagenais, Birbraer, etc. I saved some guy from thinking the Jensen jersey he found was a Janssen jersey though. My friend bought a preseason worn red and green jersey.

I was shocked with those jerseys. It was pretty cool and people had a blast looking through them. I had the Commodore but gave it to my buddy cause I wanted an extra pair of gloves. I had a Maley from his late preseason comeback but out it back. I have to think of other NHL'ers I saw in the piles. I know I saw David Hale.

The amount of equipment was just way smaller in scale compared to the last 2. Was there any Trenton or Albany gear there? I have a feeling that the Devils sold the gear to a reseller becasue the quantity was just way lower than years past. It is also possible due to the size restriction of floor space that they just did a smaller sale.

The best thing anyone got at the sale was Adam Larson. Remember people, he's a righty. Oh yeah, he is pretty good too.

Ken, that simply didn't happen, no matter what people are telling you. I was in the first 10 spots, and I saw what happened, with my own eyes, to all of the Kovy sticks. Hoarding and re-selling was NOT going on. Sure, people grabbed more than four, but they dispersed them to friends, or traded them for other things they wanted.

Jordan, i'm trying to look at it from every angle from yours and from others.

I heard from two STH's in line who have no reason to fabricate stories or wild scenarios that there was indeed one individual holding Kovalchuk sticks and exchanging money. Now, as i said earlier, eyes can play tricks, the heat of battle, making assumptions, etc. are all very possible. However, why i am placing any stock in it whatsoever is because both stories as forwarded to me were the same in detail(s).

It's also been mentioned twice in this thread by those who observed the same activity.

So obviously, something went on for better or for worse. I think that much can be agreed on and leave it at that.

Edited by SJP20

The amount of equipment was just way smaller in scale compared to the last 2. Was there any Trenton or Albany gear there? I have a feeling that the Devils sold the gear to a reseller becasue the quantity was just way lower than years past. It is also possible due to the size restriction of floor space that they just did a smaller sale.

Yea I think the size of the floor space is why there was less there. I don't remember seeing any minor league stuff.

I see a lot of talk good and bad about the equipment sale and draft party, and just wanted to through in my observations as a first timer to the event.

I had VIP tickets that i selected as one of my bonus items for renewing my season tickets. I arrived at the event about 3pm and was about 50th-60th in line. My main reason for going was to try and pick up a few cool things to put around the bar I am building in my basement. Going into the event I was hoping to pick up a stick or 2 and maybe some used gloves or other equipment to put on shelves around the bar. I was really hoping for a Tedenby item (as it seems like everyone was...lol) but mainly just wanted some cool looking stuff.

When turned the corner and walked into the equip sale, I was amazed at how some of the people acted. People just grabbed hand-fulls of stick and would sort through what they wanted. I will admit that the "bulk grabbers" where in the minority, but ti seemed to cause others to now panic that they won't get what they want, so it was like a bunch of wolves battling for the meat left over from a recent kill. I personally was run into/pushed aside 4 or 5 times while trying to look at some sticks. My buddy who came with me isn't a big hockey fan wasn't really looking for anything and was getting annoyed at the amount of times he was hit with sticks (and he was mostly by the jerseys and starting lineup figures) I even saw a young girl who had to have first aid check on her cause she was hit in the face by one of these people who were running around like maniacs.

Now I had my hands on an Elias, but it looked brand new, and I don't even think the blade was taped, so I passed. I then decided I would get a goalie stick and one of the used goalie gloves, but they were gone before I had the chance to grab them. There were some when I first walked in, but when I decided that's what I wanted, they were gone... So that is my fault for not grabbing when I saw them.

I know next time that I should just grab anything and everything i find remotely interesting then find an empty area and sort through my 'loot' to pick those I truly want to buy. While I don't think this is how it should be done, it became obvious this will be the only way I will get anything cool. You can't be a passive person at this event. You must be aggressive and just grab or else there will be nothing to purchase. This is not a fault of the Devils and an organization, it is a fault of society that a few "greedy" people at the event turn the whole group into a panicked bunch.

That's just my two cents on the Equip Sale.... Now for the VIP party.....Wow was I disappointed. I wasn't expecting a full buffet with carving stations, but not even some hot dogs? even if we had to pay for them... instead if you wanted a dog, you had to walk around the arena to get one, then come back. Ohhh and if you did that you would no longer have a place to sit since there was not enough tables for everyone. TVs were hard to see... and the volume was really low. I stayed about an hour, then me and my buddy decided to walk over to Brick City for a beer and some food. I am not sure if anything changed after I left, but it was also super boring in there. The outside part had entertainment, while the VIP area was about as much fun as an elevator ride. That was a major fail on the part of the Devils in my eyes.... It felt less like a draft party, and more like a funeral.

Just my thoughts...