ESPN....SMH

lucifer91

I don't consider LeBrun an ESPN property, they take his articles from TSN (the better version of ESPN).

I can't see how a 7 game series can be considered boring. I still remember the Stevens hit on Kariya, Marty outdueling Giggy (yet not getting the MVP award), Friesen, Marshall, and Turner Stevenson playing tough.

I don't consider LeBrun an ESPN property, they take his articles from TSN (the better version of ESPN).

I can't see how a 7 game series can be considered boring. I still remember the Stevens hit on Kariya, Marty outdueling Giggy (yet not getting the MVP award), Friesen, Marshall, and Turner Stevenson playing tough.

Although it's an unfortunate Devils memory, you also had the famous "Bleeder Goal on Marty" which is one of the craziest goals ever scored in a Stanley Cup Final. 2003 was wrought with tension and while this series has been the closest one sided series in history, it's still alot of fun to watch. Game 7's are always amazing, no matter how you get to them.

Remember when ESPN used to have hockey coverage that was almost better than BleacherReport?

LOL me neither.

Woah, woah, woah, I think Barry Melrose does a FINE job....

Speaking of whom, possible coaching candidate?

/massive sarcasm

Edited by Devilsfan118

:giggle:

I love how much I hate Melrose

Anyone else miss Clemment sometimes? What a tool he was! :lol:

Slightly, but now I think of him as the Flyers' analysis guy, and dislike him for associating himself with the flyers. And yeah, he's a huge tool :lol:

...you know who I do miss though?

"NO, NO GOAL, THE GOAL LIGHT'S NOT ON!"

Edited by Devilsfan118

Really we need to sh!t on ESPN for calling a spade a spade. The hockey was unbearable in that series. If I wasn't a Devils fan, I'd have a hard time watching. ESPN covers hockey pretty well, as well as they have to, but I don't really like the writers on ESPN at all. It is clear they don't spend top money on writing talent for hockey like they do for basketball, baseball and football where the the writing is exceptional. Melrose is Melrose but he is perfect for the average sports fan who watches SportsCentre.

I have enjoyed Jackie MacMullan writing about the playoffs for ESPN Boston. She is an exceptional reporter.

But back to another random comment that for some reason deserved another ESPN sucks thread. There were 3 boring 3-0 games in that series. There was no real intensity. No star players. The Devils forwards were pretty bad, and the Ducks were a bunch of nobodies past Kariya. Rewatch those games. They were awful. Barely any speed or good scoring chances. But I loved the result.

Really we need to sh!t on ESPN for calling a spade a spade. The hockey was unbearable in that series. If I wasn't a Devils fan, I'd have a hard time watching. ESPN covers hockey pretty well, as well as they have to, but I don't really like the writers on ESPN at all. It is clear they don't spend top money on writing talent for hockey like they do for basketball, baseball and football where the the writing is exceptional. Melrose is Melrose but he is perfect for the average sports fan who watches SportsCentre.

I have enjoyed Jackie MacMullan writing about the playoffs for ESPN Boston. She is an exceptional reporter.

But back to another random comment that for some reason deserved another ESPN sucks thread. There were 3 boring 3-0 games in that series. There was no real intensity. No star players. The Devils forwards were pretty bad, and the Ducks were a bunch of nobodies past Kariya. Rewatch those games. They were awful. Barely any speed or good scoring chances. But I loved the result.

Do you really believe that this was most boring SCF in the past 20 years though? I highly doubt it

It wasn't a "good" series. I think the 01 series was worse considering the level of the two teams in it, but it wasn't a classic great series. The Ducks were what they were and we pretty much beat the piss out of them and choked them while they were on the ground in the games here.

My stress level for Game 7 of that series was far less than my stress level for Game 7 of the prior series, considering I snapped and ended up at the game. :lol:

For the record, if I get 20 years, series, whatever, the winner probably has to be Detriot/Washington. You couldn't even suspend disbelief there. At least the Panthers beat the Penguins and you could think, maybe...

At least in the 03 series, there was maybe one moment of doubt in it, when Sykora scores early in Game 5.

Edited by maxpower

ESPN's main story today is the NBA draft...nuff said.

Why is this an issue? They'll move over to hockey eventually today, but the NBA draft is a bigger story for American sports fans. Game 6 of the NBA finals just got over 22 million people to watch. I am guessing NBC would be happy with 6 million tonight. The NBA draft ratings double what the NHL Finals have been getting on Versus. Just the way it is.

Edited by devilsrule33

Why is this an issue? They'll move over to hockey eventually today, but the NBA draft is a bigger story for American sports fans. Game 6 of the NBA finals just got over 22 million people to watch. I am guessing NBC would be happy with 6 million tonight. The NBA draft ratings double what the NHL Finals have been getting on Versus. Just the way it is.

No issue...they just dont really give a damn about hockey. No one is doubting the NBA is more popular...although im sure ESPN's obsession with it really boosted those numbers.

The NBA draft ratings double what the NHL Finals have been getting on Versus. Just the way it is.

The NBA Draft is also pretty insignificant considering most of the players are either overseas kids that nobody knows, or guys who have been in college one year. And it's particularly insignificant this year considering the NBA is by all accounts headed for a lockout longer than the NFL's.

That said why does anyone even care what ESPN wants to put on its front page? It's like getting upset that YES has Yankee programming 24-7, what do you expect? Of course ESPN's going to hype its properties. And right now the NBA's a big property and the NHL is its competition.

Do you really believe that this was most boring SCF in the past 20 years though? I highly doubt it

Yeah, if they want to say it's the most boring seven-game series ever well fine, at least it's debatable but to say it's more boring than series that were utter no contests is just ridiculous.

Edited by NJDevs4978