Center Ice Question

rcarlsen

So i just moved down to Florida and i am thinking about getting Center Ice for this season.

Now I know that the games will not be in HD but is it worth the money?

Can you typically get the games online in HD at the least? Give me some input here. Thanks!

The online center ice package offers many games in HD. The problem I had was with the games being choppy or cutting out during the live broadcast. Now I don't know if that is something with center ice or on my end. I still like all of the features with the online package better then the cable package and will stick with the online center ice. The biggest one is being able to select the feed you wish to watch. I would always miss Doc and Chico when the cable package didn't air the Devils feed.

I'm moving in a month or so to south Jersey (all Comcast and Flyers down there. FML) and I feel your pain. I will still live in NEW JERSEY and I won't even be able to watch my team. Sad. Anyway, last season I went on an extended vacation out of state and didn't want to miss any games. I signed up for NHL Gamecenter Live. It's about $160 for the season and you can watch pretty much any NHL game being played (some blackout restrictions). From my research, Center Ice claims "40 games a week". Considering there are about 90 games a week being played, and you have no options with Center Ice, I didn't think it seemed worth it, although, I watch all 82 games a season so missing 20 or 30 is unacceptable to me. NHL Gamecenter Live streams online so it can be watched on any computer or compatible devices (iPad, Boxee Box, Panasonic TVs and bluray players, etc.). Over wifi, the picture quality was pretty solid, although similar to Netflix, it automatically determines your PQ based on internet speed so you'll want to be hardwired to your router.

Hope this info helps.

I live in SNJ and got the TV Center Ice once. Mostly because of the Post season coverage. I was able to see about every Devils game. I only remember a few (<6) not being on at all. Since then though I work MANY MANY gamedays, I found the ability to watch the games streaming online to be almost as good availabilitywise, but with worse reception.

Bottomline, if you will be available to watch the games and have $150 laying around, get it. You get to test drive it for the first few weeks of the season for free as a promotional thing they do every year. Then buy it if you like it.

I live in Florida now too and I'd say that most of the games are broadcast in HD (on TV). Sometimes you'll have to watch the other team's broadcast to get an HD version of the game, but that's only a real problem if we're playing the Penguins. Then you just watch the standard definition or mute the TV.

Oh and I've never watched a game online so I don't know what that's like.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I'm moving in a month or so to south Jersey (all Comcast and Flyers down there. FML) and I feel your pain. I will still live in NEW JERSEY and I won't even be able to watch my team. Sad. Anyway, last season I went on an extended vacation out of state and didn't want to miss any games. I signed up for NHL Gamecenter Live. It's about $160 for the season and you can watch pretty much any NHL game being played (some blackout restrictions). From my research, Center Ice claims "40 games a week". Considering there are about 90 games a week being played, and you have no options with Center Ice, I didn't think it seemed worth it, although, I watch all 82 games a season so missing 20 or 30 is unacceptable to me. NHL Gamecenter Live streams online so it can be watched on any computer or compatible devices (iPad, Boxee Box, Panasonic TVs and bluray players, etc.). Over wifi, the picture quality was pretty solid, although similar to Netflix, it automatically determines your PQ based on internet speed so you'll want to be hardwired to your router.

Hope this info helps.

I'm pretty sure Center Ice showed just about every Devils game last season. They blackout the games on Versus, but other than that they might have skipped like 5 games at the most. Could be remembering that wrong but I don't remember missing too many games. I actually remember being surprised that I got to see so many as I assumed they were going to skip a lot of Devils games.

the only bad thing about gamecenter online is that the game is about a minute and a half late... so if youre chatting with other people watching the game on tv and if they cant handle themselve they will ruin the games for you everytime lol or even post on this board... you see posts like "KOVY BABY!!!" and youre like... ahhh Kovy is going to score in about a minute... or

Friend: AHHHH MANNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: what? WHAT? a goal? a penalty? someone died?

and you have to wait a minute and a half to actually see what happen and its killing the mood lol

..., but that's only a real problem if we're playing the Penguins. Then you just watch the standard definition or mute the TV.

:lol:142ekb8.jpg

I live in Comcast county as well. Anyways, there's like 50 games a week, not 90, so odds are The Devils will be on the TV center ice package. My brother had it, but the lack of HD kills it.

Another day I am grateful I have not yet entered HD land. Since I don't know any better, I am never disappointed in seeing a TV picture. Just grateful I can watch the game.

Here is my take on Center Ice:

I like it. i like how i can watch devils games from anywhere its not on television from my laptop or a friends. Im mostly at home where i have pretty good internet and it works flawlessly on a medium resolution. When i go to my Uncles house to watch games with him we use his fast internet to stream at the highest resolution. the highest resolution is really good but requires fast internet. i have never tried the HD but i figure that it just requires really fast internet. So all in all i like it.

i live in Bergen and cant get the Devils in HD due to Cablevision witholding the high definition feed to FIOS customers... hopefully that changes soon

and to those who don't mind a stream, I personally stream (pretty much) every game for the season, its not HD (except versus broadcasts) but you can watch the devils...

i did this stream last year and many of the current NJDevs board members used it

but NHL gamecenter/ Center ice are always great to get, especially if you like to watch all teams

Edited by Microwavepizza

I live in Va. Most Caps home games are blacked out as well here because it'd broadcast on HTS. Not all games are available in HD, but they're listed on the channel menu. Most of the hometown feeds aren't that bad, save the homerism. It's worse in some places (Rag$, Cryers)but well worth the investment

I go to school in North Carolina and I got Gamecenter (the online version of Center Ice) last year. My only complaint isn't so much with Gamecenter as it is with MSG. MSG would never put the god damn HD feed online, so I would always have to choose between Doc and Chico or the other team's HD feed. It kind of sucked. If I'm going to drop $160, I expect an HD feed every night. That's why I'm most likely going to use MicrowavePizza's feeds next season.

and to those who don't mind a stream, I personally stream (pretty much) every game for the season, its not HD (except versus broadcasts) but you can watch the devils...

i did this stream last year and many of the current NJDevs board members used it

Definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn't wanna drop the $$$ for center ice. Must've watched at least 50+ games last season on this stream.

Thanks again, by the way :cheers:

If you're able to get DirecTV, I'd say 90-95% of all games are in HD, with both feeds available.

NHL Center Ice and MSG had a stalemate that wasn't allowing the HD feeds on Center Ice, but they worked it out before last season. Every Devils game was in HD on Center Ice through DirecTV last year. Versus is also in HD for those 3-5 NJ games they carry every year.

Definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn't wanna drop the $$$ for center ice. Must've watched at least 50+ games last season on this stream.

+1 Thank you! esp for the preseason games which never make it on CI

Definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn't wanna drop the $$ for center ice. Must've watched at least 50+ games last season on this stream.

haha thanks!

i got some newer software that should help with quality, so it will be even better this year...

I live in South Jersey so I get Comcast cable and the Flyers games, no Devils games.

So, in order to see the Devils I've subscribed to Center Ice for years now, and not once have they not shown a Devils game (unless the Devils are playing the Flyers, in which case you just have to tune to Comcast Sportsnet, and unless they are on NBC or Versus, in which case you just put on NBC or Versus.)

Like others have said, the only problem is that Comcast does not carry NHL Center Ice in HD. Even when the Center Ice menu says a game is being broadcast in HD, it comes through NOT in HD. This isn't an issue with DirectTV, as far as I know.

I live in South Jersey so I get Comcast cable and the Flyers games, no Devils games.

So, in order to see the Devils I've subscribed to Center Ice for years now, and not once have they not shown a Devils game (unless the Devils are playing the Flyers, in which case you just have to tune to Comcast Sportsnet, and unless they are on NBC or Versus, in which case you just put on NBC or Versus.)

Like others have said, the only problem is that Comcast does not carry NHL Center Ice in HD. Even when the Center Ice menu says a game is being broadcast in HD, it comes through NOT in HD. This isn't an issue with DirectTV, as far as I know.

Comcast sux...you should be able to see every game with at least two offered in Hd every night