T-Devs on Thin Ice

LousBallsack

makes zero sense why would an independent team not want to affliliate with the organization that clearly has the bigger presence in the market?? Not a Flyers fan here either, in fact if they never won another game that would be fine with me. As far as filling seats this gives Trenton the best shot possible to try and save the market. The number of returning Flyers fans will dwarf the loss of Devils fans that disappear. Most of them came dressed as green seats for the past 3 seasons anyway. Time will tell if it's too late, there's certainly a chance it could be. What maybe a factor this year is this season is the last year that Phantom season ticket holders can take advantage of a huge discount on Flyers sts (something along the lines of paying the same price they did for the Phantoms). Once that goes away it will price a lot of them out of their local hockey fix, that will help Trenton.

Agreed.

I will never understand the stupidity of the Devils tanking a relatively successful ECHL franchise by renaming it the Devils deep in Philadelphia territory. I hope the Flyer do take the reigns and save this Trenton franchise.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

changed the party to 5:00

Time Thursday, July 28 · 5:00pm - 7:00pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location Trenton Social

449 S. Broad St (across from gate B of the arena)

Trenton, NJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info On July 11th, Bernie created the “Bring Back the Titans!!” group to show there is interest in bringing the Titans back to Trenton. Within minutes, he had 12 commitments. Within 48 hours, he had 120 commitments. The commitments continued to grow and the page began to fill with memories of a team we thought would never return to Trenton. A team whose fans were a family no matter what NHL team they rooted for, a team that gave us a Kelly Cup championship. The Titans were our team, Trenton's team. Well, our efforts have paid off. It's time to come home. It's time again to BELIEVE IN TITANS! It's time to party. Come to Trenton Social on Thursday, July 28th at 5:00pm to celebrate our efforts and the rebirth of our team, the TRENTON TITANS.

Edited by titans04

Well, I'm not surprised the Flyers fans outnumber the Devils fans in South Jersey. The state is as divided as Massachusetts (Boston and 'burbs vs. all the rest). I just hope there are enough hockey fans in the Trenton area, who still have jobs and disposable income, to support a minor league hockey team.

I think there are; I see no reason why they can’t get 4-5k bodies in the building on a regular basis. I was extremely confident we’d get another team. I never really thought it was going to happen for this season…full speed ahead…

I'm seeing a lot of definitive statements that the Titans will be back. Is there any kind of link to go with them, or is it more informed speculation? I did see Devils1985's post on why he thought they'd be back, as well as mention of a press conference. I guess what I'm getting at, is, is any news source reporting this?

I'm seeing a lot of definitive statements that the Titans will be back. Is there any kind of link to go with them, or is it more informed speculation? I did see Devils1985's post on why he thought they'd be back, as well as mention of a press conference. I guess what I'm getting at, is, is any news source reporting this?

Well, there's this:

@TTitans <--- Trenton Titans Twitter account (say that 5 times fast!)

Yuck at this situation. Never going to catch a game in Trenton again.

Haha you'd rather have no team in Trenton? You and adam are ridiculous and obviously never went to a game there until the Devils took over anyway so you have nothing to compare it to.

This is glorious, I can't wait to be there opening night in my Scott Bertoli jersey!!!

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/trenton_titans_returning_to_the_echl_as_flyers_affiliate/

Only three weeks after the Trenton Devils halted operations, the ECHL will be returning to Trenton.

The Trenton Titans have scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. Thursday at Sun National Bank Center to announce the start up of a new Trenton ECHL team under new ownership that will begin play in the 2011-12 season in place of the Trenton Devils.

The New Jersey Devils, who announced on July 6 that the Trenton Devils would be ceasing operations, will not be affiliated with the new Trenton ECHL team. A source said the Titans will again be the Philadelphia Flyers’ ECHL affiliate.

What I don't get is that the Flyers won't ever own Trenton, just be an affiliate. The Devils took the plunge and wasted millions in Trenton, and got tired of it. Now that Trenton is back, why can't they just be "affiliated" with the Devils, that way NJ doesn't have to piss away money in a slumping hockey market? If the team was at least affiliated with NJ, I'd be more enticed to go (regardless of the team name). No real reason for me to go now, it's an hour drive, I'll just go another hour and see the big boys play in Newark. Before it was the Devils, and possible players I might see on NJ in the future. There was a REASON to drive an hour to see them play. Those reasons are now gone, and so am I.

Trenton DEVILS forever.

I was there for the glory days of the Trenton Titans, when attendance was never an issue. I never got the chance to catch a Trenton Devils game but I'm glad they are back to the Titans, the Devils shouldn't have never changed the name to begin with.

Now with that being said, as much as I hope they have a return to glory I'm not convinced they can win all the fans back just yet. The attendance was taking a nose dive before the Devils took over to begin with. The Kelly Cup year didn't even have that great of attendance in all honesty either.

What I don't get is that the Flyers won't ever own Trenton, just be an affiliate. The Devils took the plunge and wasted millions in Trenton, and got tired of it. Now that Trenton is back, why can't they just be "affiliated" with the Devils, that way NJ doesn't have to piss away money in a slumping hockey market? If the team was at least affiliated with NJ, I'd be more enticed to go (regardless of the team name). No real reason for me to go now, it's an hour drive, I'll just go another hour and see the big boys play in Newark. Before it was the Devils, and possible players I might see on NJ in the future. There was a REASON to drive an hour to see them play. Those reasons are now gone, and so am I.

Trenton DEVILS forever.

Seems like the Devils weren't interested in keeping hockey in Trenton unless they had complete control over the whole operation. The Flyers apparently are so that's why we have this situation, that's why hockey will continue to exist in our capital. The affiliate is virtually meaningless. The chance of you seeing any of the Trenton Devils play in Newark was extremely slim, just like the chances that any given player on the Titans will play for the Flyers, which is why I never had any issue with rooting for the Titans in the past. Obviously I would prefer if they were the Devils affiliate but it's really not nearly as big a deal as you are making it.

The whole paint the town red/Devils Army/Jersey's Teams is kinda the only reason I'd go see an ECHL game that costs more (cheapest ticket was what, 14 bucks? vs 10 bucks for NJD). I just loved how it was the Devils and I can't figure out why anyone else doesn't.

I'll always rock my T-Devs Ginand jersey.

I just loved how it was the Devils and I can't figure out why anyone else doesn't.

It has been well-documented countless times in this thread why nobody else liked it. It wasn't that people disliked it being called the Devils, it was what happened to the franchise as a result of the way the Devils managed the team. It would have been cool for it to work out but the Devils either just didn't care enough or were just that inept. Off the top of my head I can not think of one business decision that was anywhere near as bad as renaming the Titans to the Devils. At least 2/3 of the fanbase were Rangers and Flyers fans. Did they really think they would keep showing up to support the Devils?? For that to work would take a colossal marketing and promotion effort, which they had no interest in doing.

You don't seem to realize the Titans had a history and a fanbase that the Devils completely alienated. You seem to be thinking of it as Trenton hockey being nonexistent until the Devils came along and failed a few years later, and then the Flyers coming in and taking over.

Also your price comparison is ridiculous. The $10 seats in Newark are sold only on gameday, not everyone can get to games early enough to take advantage of that, and for certain games you would need to get there sometime in the afternoon and wait for those tickets to go on sale. The $14 Trenton tickets can be purchased through normal methods. I remember the year the Titans won the Kelly Cup I paid $20 for my ticket to one of the conference finals games against Alaska, second row on the goal line. That is a conference final game for roughly 1/10th the price of the same seat at a regular season game in Newark.

Edited by devilsfan26

Sure hope the Adam here wasn't the Adam Miller who posted the following on the Titans brand new facebook page:

Fvck Philly. Fvck the Titans. T-DEVS FOREVER
just add the u back in....

Really classless move whoever it was. We get on Flyer fans for being classless goons; how do you think that looks?

Trenton DEVILS forever.

You're a freakin' hour away, why do you care so much? Just accept that the Devils have ZERO clue how to run a minor league hockey club and move on. I wish they would. They've no business owning a minor league team of any sort and they've proven that many times over.

I live here.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost.

I wouldn't care if they were called the Flying Hippos and had lavender uniforms.

Well...maybe not that far...but I'd still go! Clearly you're a Devils fan first and a hockey fan second. I'm the other way around and frankly after what they did down here that's even more the case. This was MY TEAM that came in here and totally screwed the whole thing up; clearly they don't get that. By sticking the NJ logo on the jersey they sullied the Devils reputation down here in a big way. It wasn't just a stylized letter like Albany or Lowell...this was the NJ logo they stuck on everything. They would've benefited greatly had they done things right. They didn't...and they actually hurt the brand instead of growing it. Quite frankly they sh!t on their own logo. And they sh!t on their die hard fans down here who actually supported the team while watching everything fall apart around us.

The huge Trenton Devils banner is gone from the side of the arena. And as much as it pains me so say it, good fvcking riddance.

Eh...cool, I guess. I never really venture into Trenton..at all. I'm like 20 minutes up the road but I'd rather risk my life going to a game in Newark tbh :noclue:

Although I did go to a game a couple years ago during the Titans era...I think there might've been 5 or 6 fights. I assume the ECHL isn't usually this goony but it left a really bad taste in my mouth

Sure hope the Adam here wasn't the Adam Miller who posted the following on the Titans brand new facebook page:

just add the u back in....

Really classless move whoever it was. We get on Flyer fans for being classless goons; how do you think that looks?

I think it is.

Congratulations Trenton, I'm looking forward to visiting w/ the kids this year!

For me its about getting an up-close experience for the kids for a fraction of the price of a big club. I'm not a Trenton local, but I share in the disappointment of how the Devils operated there. As its been discussed, it went waaaaay beyond the name change.

My second thought on this? If you had the money to buy a sports franchise, what an opportunity for a bargain! Motivated league to fill a spot. Previous owner gave up on selling and folded. Price must have been good.

You're a freakin' hour away, why do you care so much? Just accept that the Devils have ZERO clue how to run a minor league hockey club and move on. I wish they would. They've no business owning a minor league team of any sort and they've proven that many times over.

I live here.

I'm a hockey fan first and foremost.

I wouldn't care if they were called the Flying Hippos and had lavender uniforms.

Well...maybe not that far...but I'd still go! Clearly you're a Devils fan first and a hockey fan second. I'm the other way around and frankly after what they did down here that's even more the case. This was MY TEAM that came in here and totally screwed the whole thing up; clearly they don't get that. By sticking the NJ logo on the jersey they sullied the Devils reputation down here in a big way. It wasn't just a stylized letter like Albany or Lowell...this was the NJ logo they stuck on everything. They would've benefited greatly had they done things right. They didn't...and they actually hurt the brand instead of growing it. Quite frankly they sh!t on their own logo. And they sh!t on their die hard fans down here who actually supported the team while watching everything fall apart around us.

The huge Trenton Devils banner is gone from the side of the arena. And as much as it pains me so say it, good fvcking riddance.

I am in the same boat too. Take the fandom out of yourself and look at the situation objectively and you can see either the Devils were clueless or just plain negligent in how they ran the T-Devs. This just leaves a sour taste in every Titans/T-Devs fan and reflects very poorly on the Devils organization in general. It is one thing to have a sinking ship, but to not even do anything and just sit idlely by while the goes underwater is plain horrible.

Congratulations Trenton, I'm looking forward to visiting w/ the kids this year!

For me its about getting an up-close experience for the kids for a fraction of the price of a big club. I'm not a Trenton local, but I share in the disappointment of how the Devils operated there. As its been discussed, it went waaaaay beyond the name change.

My second thought on this? If you had the money to buy a sports franchise, what an opportunity for a bargain! Motivated league to fill a spot. Previous owner gave up on selling and folded. Price must have been good.

Plus all you have to do is slap on the Titan's logo back on the jersey and basically announce that you are not the Devils and will not run it how they did and you will already get plenty of interest.