"Ownership Issues"

Daniel

We've been hearing a lot about "ownership issues" needing to be sorted out, especially before Parise is re-signed. Well, according to Debtwire (paid subscription only) the team has an $80 million loan that matures on September 1 with the team as collateral and a $107 million loan that matures in 2014 with the arena as collateral. (The team being collateral seems a little suspicious at first glance, since I imagine that any pro sports league wouldn't permit it without prior approval).

Basically, the team is scrambling for investors to cover the debt.

This could be big trouble.

Yep, this is a total meh. What gets lost is that Parise is getting paid one way or another and the annual value isn't going to be that much different in year 1 of a long-term deal anyway. And the "ownership issue" is just one in a long line of strawmen re: Parise.

Now, if they start clearing payroll for nothing in particular (and I mean stuff people want), then you could have a case.

Yep, this is a total meh. What gets lost is that Parise is getting paid one way or another and the annual value isn't going to be that much different in year 1 of a long-term deal anyway. And the "ownership issue" is just one in a long line of strawmen re: Parise.

Now, if they start clearing payroll for nothing in particular (and I mean stuff people want), then you could have a case.

What payroll is there to clear? The big money guys either have no trade clauses and/or nobody wants them.

The one thing though that makes me think I'm over-reacting is the Andy Greene signing. If you're really in financial trouble you don't commit $12 million for someone who isn't good. (Although even if there was no salary cap and the team was owned by Bill Gates, I'd still be pissed off about the Greene signing, but that's just me).

What payroll is there to clear? The big money guys either have no trade clauses and/or nobody wants them.

The one thing though that makes me think I'm over-reacting is the Andy Greene signing. If you're really in financial trouble you don't commit $12 million for someone who isn't good. (Although even if there was no salary cap and the team was owned by Bill Gates, I'd still be pissed off about the Greene signing, but that's just me).

Parise, for one. He's getting no less than $5M next season.

Chambers is a pump and dumper, he's not going to screw himself. The only reason he's in a rush to get out is that value has leveled off and may have reduced (it's sure as hell going to reduce when you sell a non-controlling half and your only potential buyer is your partner).

The worse it gets, the more that becomes a distinct possibility.

Why is that? If they were concerned about taking on any salary, they would have traded him already. By taking him to arbitration, they make it a CERTAINTY that he gets a contract.

I think you're looking for monsters under the bed here. Anyways, there's far bigger concerns with this stuff nationally than there is with a hockey team.

Why is that? If they were concerned about taking on any salary, they would have traded him already. By taking him to arbitration, they make it a CERTAINTY that he gets a contract.

I think you're looking for monsters under the bed here. Anyways, there's far bigger concerns with this stuff nationally than there is with a hockey team.

I believe the team has the right to walk away from the arbitrator's award. Or they can accept it and then trade.

Edited by Daniel

We would have seen Zubrus or Clarkson or both moved out already, if they were in serious trouble. Last year had to have been a tough year financially for the owners, but they still signed Greene and Hedberg for 4.25 mil together. I also don't think the Devils would have elected to go to team arbitration if they couldn't afford him. If they go to arbitration, it'd be like give the arbitrator a blank check to write out to Parise. The Owners would have to be stupid to continue doing what they're doing with that type of debt. Hopefully reallity is that they're not that stupid.

I believe the team has the right to walk away from the arbitrator's award. Or they can accept it and then trade.

I thought the same too, but the team actually can't walk away from the arbitrator's award. I guess the second case is possible.

Edited by The Facepainter

OK, but can anyone tell me how much income the Devils had last year? Of course, debt is going to be listed (as was shown by the initial post), but, there is also a revenue stream that should easily cover that debt (which doesn't include the Devils assets).

Remember, sometimes the numbers, in terms of losses, are quantified through "depreciation" of assets.

I work in the airline business where companies lose millions year over year, but yet operate day-to-day with no problem.

Loans are often requested so that liquidity is fairly strong. Basically, instead of playing with your money, you play with the bank's money. And the game goes on...

I thought the same too, but the team actually can't walk away from the arbitrator's award.

Not unless the player elects arbitration, I think - which wasn't the case here. And if the team was in such dire straits wouldn't Vanderbeek be trying to get out instead of attempting to buy the whole thing?

There's nothing to be nervous about until there's something to be nervous about. We've had basically the highest payroll in the league since the lockout and aren't going to be too far from the cap celing this year either until further notice :lol:

Of course typical Devils being the Devils we really don't know a lot about what's going on with the ownership situation, this is one time where it'd be nice not to have a CIA approach, I'll say that. Being in the dark about what's going to happen with ownership leads to paranoid threads like this.

And if they were in as bad as Daniel and others think, trading Parise in itself isn't going to help all that much. I mean what difference is $6 million going to make if it was a nuclear meltdown situation? Then you'd see what's going on with the Mets where EVERYone starts getting traded or not retained. If we don't reinvest the $18 million coming off the books this year and start dumping other guys in trade then come and tell me about how we're in the poorhouse.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There's nothing to be nervous about until there's something to be nervous about. We've had basically the highest payroll in the league since the lockout and aren't going to be too far from the cap celing this year either until further notice :lol:

Of course typical Devils being the Devils we really don't know a lot about what's going on with the ownership situation, this is one time where it'd be nice not to have a CIA approach, I'll say that. Being in the dark about what's going to happen with ownership leads to paranoid threads like this.

And if they were in as bad as Daniel and others think, trading Parise in itself isn't going to help all that much. I mean what difference is $6 million going to make if it was a nuclear meltdown situation? Then you'd see what's going on with the Mets where EVERYone starts getting traded or not retained. If we don't reinvest the $18 million coming off the books this year and start dumping other guys in trade then come and tell me about how we're in the poorhouse.

Not $6 million, more like $60 million if you're thinking the way your creditors do.