Single Game Pricing

njdevil26

If you're a ticket broker buying up 82 games worth of Devils tickets for a profit, then you aren't a very smart ticket broker to begin with.

i wasn't saying that. i was saying that ticket brokers could easily buy up single game tickets (rangers, flyers) that are high demand and sell those.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the Devils confirmed on FB that they will still offer $10 tickets available to purchase the day of the game. I am assuming it will be just a set amount like they have done in the past.

I will still not be standing in line though. Especially not after what happened in last year's disaster.

Last year's disaster? Are you referring to the season as a whole or was there an incident that happened in the $10 line?

So it seems like they want to make those tickets available to people who can't wait in line but for more $$.

Pretty much. I mean I am figuring that they will reserve about 150-200 tickets for the $10 line, but if you do not want to wait they have a limited amount for more money you could buy in advance. Again all the NJ Devils FB page said in the comments section is that they will still have the $10 and the rest is just speculation.

Last year's disaster? Are you referring to the season as a whole or was there an incident that happened in the $10 line?

There was an incident that happend in the line. A lot of people were pissed off to say the least and I was among them. I will never go into that line again after that and a lot of people swore it off too after similar experiences.

They way they run it, especially for games against rivals is a joke and an even bigger disaster waiting to happen.

Well they industry is moving to make tickets non transferable. That's the issue. If someone cannot attend an event, they want those seats empty and paid for while those searching for tickets have to buy them from the team and not from the individual that cannot attend.

There are too many people fighting it in the state legislatures and the Justice Dept. NY already banned it as did East Rutherford. There is a bill floating around in NJ but I don't think it is a done deal.

While I do have concerns I don't think the secondary market will disappear. Too many people and companies have a vested interest in the secondary market.(Ebay?) If people spend their time jailbreaking iPhones I think someone will break the TM paperless ticketing system, to our benefit.

Edited by mac760

Was it one of those "Hey I'm holding this spot for 60 of my friends that will arrive 5 minutes before wrist bands are handed out".?

Pretty much. Put me and my party of 7 people as well as a good 20 people behind us who were waiting in line since 2 PM out of luck when we should have gotten wristbands. However, all the douches who did the holding spot crap are mostly high-school and college age kids and security couldn't care less, especially the big tall guy there with aweful hair plugs.

A lot of people were pissed and the Devils kept saying it is not their responsibility yet we should tell the security guard who could give a sh!t less. Basically everyone was pointing fingers at everyone else. The Devils rep finally said I should have said something to the cutters so I asked him "you really want me to start something to a group of 10-30 high school/ college-age kids against me and I have no idea what they are carrying?" The rep had no reply.

I wrote a whole huge summary of what happened in that line that game and if you are interested I can look to find it and copy and paste it here.

Well as a STH I'm happy about this.. Been wanting them to do variable pricing for years now.. Makes no sense that they charged the same for Rangers/Flyers as they did for mid-week Coyotes/Panthers..

I think the prices are still a little high for the less desirable games, but hopefully this pushes even more people to get full season tickets and attendance for all games increases

Well as a STH I'm happy about this.. Been wanting them to do variable pricing for years now.. Makes no sense that they charged the same for Rangers/Flyers as they did for mid-week Coyotes/Panthers..

I think the prices are still a little high for the less desirable games, but hopefully this pushes even more people to get full season tickets and attendance for all games increases

So screw people who want to take the family out to a game or two a year who want to take families out and the only time are on weekends where a lot of the Premier games are scheduled to make STH a little happier?

Whats next? Black out home games to the local markets on TV as it might upset the season ticket holders who bought tickets? We all know how well that went over with Chicago.

So screw people who want to take the family out to a game or two a year who want to take families out and the only time are on weekends where a lot of the Premier games are scheduled to make STH a little happier?

Whats next? Black out home games to the local markets on TV as it might upset the season ticket holders who bought tickets? We all know how well that went over with Chicago.

Colin is the only one that I know of these boards that will be honest about it and not be the "high and mighty" type about having season tickets. There are alot of members on here who seem to have the attitude of "Im a STH and the rest of you are peasants"

We all saw how it was for the STH'ers for the equipment sale. *Just using it as an example I know itll piss people off again*

If you have the money you are treated well if you are a game by game fan well you catch the brunt end and have to suck it up and save for season tickets.

Yeah if you were able to drop a couple grand.. they took care of you... but for the people that can't readily come up with that kind of cash but are hard working and ridiculously dedicated fans (like me and Jamie) are absolutely screwed.

lol, you make it sound like sth's were all born with silver spoons.

How was the other way fair? In the last few seasons you could almost certainly have gone to as many games for cheaper than a sth could, unless the sth was sitting in the $15 section. And it was the sth's who were screaming bloody murder (and rightly so) about how they couldn't sell $24 tickets for weekday games, paying for the preseason - which granted is still an issue - and saw people get all sorts of ridiculous gameday discounts. I hate to sound like CRASHER but really they should be catering to the customers giving them the most money.

That said, you're not screwed. The secondary market still exists. If and when the companies manage to shut it down, teams will have to adjust their prices to account for that or be in for a rude awakening, but that's a long way down the road IF it ever happens. You can get the discounted tickets through sth friends, hell I'd offer to do it for you or sell you mine for certain games since I have my own seasons in 120 now and at most wind up going to around 27-30 games. And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the uppers become the team's new discount central now that they managed to get a lot of sth and sth purchases in the second bowl.

Colin is the only one that I know of these boards that will be honest about it and not be the "high and mighty" type about having season tickets. There are alot of members on here who seem to have the attitude of "Im a STH and the rest of you are peasants"

There will still be discounts I'd be willing to bet - if I were a betting man, the Devils aren't going to advertise them now, probably in whatever areas don't have a lot of sth/partial plan holders (most likely the uppers). They could have more college tickets in the uppers this year, for example.

And it's not being high and mighty to say sth's should get the best prices in the building, that's just good business. Otherwise the Devils would be chasing more people towards partial plans and StubHub plans. I can't tell you how many times I've heard sth's be frustrated over paying $31 for all the games while discounts get offered for 80% of them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We all saw how it was for the STH'ers for the equipment sale. *Just using it as an example I know itll piss people off again*

If you have the money you are treated well if you are a game by game fan well you catch the brunt end and have to suck it up and save for season tickets.

I have no problems with the concept of season ticket holders getting perks. They dropped a good amount of money and they deserve it. I used to have season tickets and the perks were nice, but I can no longer justify nor have the money to fit in my budget.

I do have problems where the common ticket buyer gets shafted. Let the season ticket holder get their perks of guaranteed seats at a discounted price as well as access to events. Just do not do it and then jack the price up on the game by game people who are on the brink of being priced-out.

There are 7 premier games on the weekend and 13 regular priced games. Just over 1/3rd of our weekend games are Premier.

Come on, you seemed so rational in your overview post.

There are 7 premier games on the weekend and 13 regular priced games. Just over 1/3rd of our weekend games are Premier.

Come on, you seemed so rational in your overview post.

Yeah I guess maybe I went off the deep end a little bit, but I just do not like the idea of if you are not a STH, you deserve to get screwed mentality.

I have no problems with the concept of season ticket holders getting perks. They dropped a good amount of money and they deserve it. I used to have season tickets and the perks were nice, but I can no longer justify nor have the money to fit in my budget.

I do have problems where the common ticket buyer gets shafted. Let the season ticket holder get their perks of guaranteed seats at a discounted price as well as access to events. Just do not do it and then jack the price up on the game by game people who are on the brink of being priced-out.

I agree. STH should get perks. It just seems that if you are an average fan that is tight on money...which is a great part of the fanbase I would imagine, you just get pushed aside and have to make way for the STH'ers.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a discount do STH'ers get on a seat if its broken down per game?

Edited by Quinn01

Yeah I guess maybe I went off the deep end a little bit, but I just do not like the idea of if you are not a STH, you deserve to get screwed mentality.

Keep in mind there were discounts even for the Flyers and Rangers last year. Between Stubhub/FlexPlan/Discounted tickets I maybe paid face twice to go to 14 games. This doesn't put an end to this. Just hurts the margins for resellers and possibly increases costs for Premier games on the secondary market.

Maybe we need to work the discount system better so others get access to the discount tickets.

I still have no idea why you are still pissing and moaning about the equipment sale. It was done the correct way for a change and it's what most teams do with the equipment sales (Dallas, SJ, Cgy, Pit, Det, for examples). The Devils just finally caught on. Besides, you could have gone to the equipment sale the same way the other non-STH's did. So in a way you should be thankful that you can and the Devils don't ID entry it or place restrictions on it.

Besides, it doesn't matter how the Devils do it. The equipment sale has turned from a nice event at the Giants bubble into a zoo of assclownery since the move to Newark. That isn't going to change with anything they do other then to police behavior and activity closely and that's pretty much impossible to do with rent-a-cops and that many people.

It's sounding like a bit of envy or jealousy with your STH rants. Maybe that's not how you want to come off, but that's how it sounds on face value. I agree there's a bit of an attitude at times with STH, but you just have to consider the source.

Edited by SJP20

I still have no idea why you are still pissing and moaning about the equipment sale. It was done the correct way for a change and it's what most teams do with the equipment sales (Dallas, SJ, Cgy, Pit, Det, for examples). The Devils just finally caught on. Besides, you could have gone to the equipment sale the same way the other non-STH's did. So in a way you should be thankful that you can and the Devils don't ID entry it or place restrictions on it.

It's sounding like a bit of envy or jealousy with your STH rants. Maybe that's not how you want to come off, but that's how it sounds on face value. I agree there's a bit of an attitude at times with STH, but you just have to consider the source.

I wasnt "still pissing and moaning about the equipment sale". I was just using it as an example of how the STH'ers are treated compared to the normal fan. Im not jealous at all. I still go to as many games as I can during the season. I have always said since the beginning of it all that STH SHOULD get benefits. They should be rewarded. What doesnt make sense to me is the way that the average fan is shafted time and time again and pushed aside. I can count the amount of STH'ers that I have come in contact with that havent had a superior attitude on one hand. The average fan should not be required to pay an additional 10-20 dollars per ticket. Now with the way the economy is, its not right to be asking more money out of fans...on top of the way the team played last season.

I wasnt "still pissing and moaning about the equipment sale". I was just using it as an example of how the STH'ers are treated compared to the normal fan. Im not jealous at all. I still go to as many games as I can during the season. I have always said since the beginning of it all that STH SHOULD get benefits. They should be rewarded. What doesnt make sense to me is the way that the average fan is shafted time and time again and pushed aside. I can count the amount of STH'ers that I have come in contact with that havent had a superior attitude on one hand. The average fan should not be required to pay an additional 10-20 dollars per ticket. Now with the way the economy is, its not right to be asking more money out of fans...on top of the way the team played last season.

Sorry buddy, its a business and I agree 100 percent with you. We all know about the Devils' financial woes but this is a penny pinching move. Think of airlines with bag fees

I didn't buy seasons because I live two hours away and knew I couldn't get to more than 25 games and would be losing money on all 16 games not attended.

With this new pricing, it's gonna cost me the same (or more?) just to go to 25 games as if I bought 41.

If this information was public in April, there might be a lot more season ticket holders right now. The reason I didn't jump was because I knew it would cost less to just go the stubhub and ten dollar line route.

Now, not to be confusing, but while it makes sense to provide a solid reason for season tickets (this new pricing certainly does that), the invididual pricing just seems too high. 20 minimum for a panthers game the last few seasons was a 3 dollar deal on stubhub. Meanwhile, it's a 35 dollar minimum for rangers games. The value (aka sh!tty game) decrease is less than the premium increase.

Edited by adam85491

Just wanted to add my 2 cents as a STH..

I was glad to see the tiered pricing, however, the pricing is set way too high for the system to work. I definitely feel for the fans who aren't in the position to become a STH at this time, want to go to a handful but not all of the games, or just want to take their family to a game. I was in the first situation until a few years ago.

STH deserve benefits - discounts on individual game price, the meet and greets, special events, food cards, equip sale - things that don't affect the average fan from affording tickets to go to a game, and thus affecting attendance and the building of a stronger fanbase. I'm sure attendance will see a drop until the team starts running the frequent discount nights as they have done in past years.

Two other things of interest that were in the STH email regarding the tiered pricing and presale dates:

- March 17th will be "Retro Night"

- The marketing tagline for the season is "Get Your Jersey On"

Adam - I agree with your cost analysis - It would have cost me more to keep my half season weekend plan for season 2 at Pru than it would have to go full seasons, which I switched to and have had since.

Edited by devilsfan525

I didn't buy seasons because I live two hours away and knew I couldn't get to more than 25 games and would be losing money on all 16 games not attended.

With this new pricing, it's gonna cost me the same (or more?) just to go to 25 games as if I bought 41.

If this information was public in April, there might be a lot more season ticket holders right now. The reason I didn't jump was because I knew it would cost less to just go the stubhub and ten dollar line route.

Now, not to be confusing, but while it makes sense to provide a solid reason for season tickets (this new pricing certainly does that), the invididual pricing just seems too high. 27 minimum for a panthers game the last few seasons was a 3 dollar deal on stubhub. Meanwhile, it's a 35 dollar minimum for rangers games. The value decrease is much less than the premium increase.

You are comparing apples to oranges between the $27 face value and the secondary market. When the secondary market becomes active then you can compare. Until then it is a useless comparison.

The $27 tickets were $20 last year (I believe) I agree the jump is high. $10 tickets are supposed to be still avaialble this year too.

When people in the balconies are dumping the mid-week games and the team papers the house again you may still see some good deals on the secondary market.

Why is it that aqua STH prices were higher than royal blue but they are priced the same for single game.

Also for former STHs , last year were you able to purchase single game tickets in your section for the same price you paid for your seasons?

Edited by Blown01NJ