30th Season in NJ

Chorske17

If it has been posted elsewhere just redirect me nicely. If not, I'm just curious to hear if anything has been mentioned. Hopefully they won't drop the ball like they did on the Ken Daneyko/Scott Stevens Retirement patches and the lame "PB" patch jerseys they used.

What was wrong with any of those patches? As for this year, I doubt it. They didn't do anything for the 20th year and we just had a patch for the 25th.

Agreed, on both counts, with the exception that I think they should've worn the Burns patches for the rest of the season.

Yeah I agree with this. I wish they wore the PB patches a little longer if not for the whole season. He meant alot to this team.

I dont think there will be a patch. I see it being 25th and then 50th. So not any time soon.

The patches lacked any kind of personality. If you are going to honor someone you'd think the patch would be special as you honoring them. Pat Burns could've had a police hat on it, Stevens and Daneyko also could've been done nicer. The "JM" patch was equally bad with no personality to help indentify who they were honoring. I agree what they had was better than nothing, but even if you just take Pat Burns... didn't he deserve more? And only wearing it for a few games?! What a slap in the face. Maybe Pat didn't want it, but no one really says, "OH, they BETTER honor me" do they?

While I do like special patches, some teams go overboard with it and it just stops being special anymore. The pat burns one was done in a hurry because they wanted to honor him immediately and they went with something that wad quick and prob wanted something close to mcmullens patch as well.

I do think the 25th anniversary patch was boring but it served its purpose. Like I said I am just glad we have not home overboard with this.

Most pro teams honor deceased with a simple black patch of some shape and initials, nicname or first or last name. Or a black band depending on sport/uniform. Teams do not want to try to make death a gimmick. Can't really get on the Devils for this other then not wearing the PB for the season which no one can figure out.

Where the Devils really could have done a better job was the retirement nights. I would have liked the Devils to follow along the lines of teams that had a special commemorative patch worn (see Rangers, Blues for example).

Edited by SJP20

The patches lacked any kind of personality. If you are going to honor someone you'd think the patch would be special as you honoring them. Pat Burns could've had a police hat on it, Stevens and Daneyko also could've been done nicer. The "JM" patch was equally bad with no personality to help indentify who they were honoring. I agree what they had was better than nothing, but even if you just take Pat Burns... didn't he deserve more? And only wearing it for a few games?! What a slap in the face. Maybe Pat didn't want it, but no one really says, "OH, they BETTER honor me" do they?

Eh I'm fine with them. I don't think patches that honor a person who passed away should be extravagant and flashy, and I think the Stevens and Daneyko retirement patches just being the number was sufficient, kept it classy and not pointless designs and stars or whatever to spice it up. A lot of patches I think are cartoonish and lame, at least the Devils haven't really had any of those. Though I agree the Burns patches should have been worn the rest of the season.

Where the Devils really could have done a better job was the retirement nights. I would have liked the Devils to follow along the lines of teams that had a special commemorative patch worn (see Rangers, Blues for example).

Didn't everyone wear Stevens' and Daneyko's respective number on their shoulders those nights?

Didn't everyone wear Stevens' and Daneyko's respective number on their shoulders those nights?

Yes, but IMO, they could have worn a commemorative patch to honor them instead of sewing small white numbers on the shoulders. It looks like they went shopping at A.C. Moore instead of putting creative thought/marketing into it.

Edited by SJP20

While I do like special patches, some teams go overboard with it and it just stops being special anymore.

The Rangers' "85th anniversary" patches were comical. Which anniversary, again? Umm, yeah, talk about a round number. :giggle:

I was thinking maybe they should do something for Vasyunov. I mean, it was one of the current Devils players (played last year, was about to come back from Russia for 2012/13 probably and challenge for a roster spot again) that died tragically. Would be good to honor him in some way.

The Devils are all about not making one individual out to be more than the group, hence the small numbers on the shoulders and the plain patches for JM and PB (although in reality that is how they should have been done anyway).. The thing is, you don't become one of the few individuals to be publicly honored by the team if you don't buy into their group over individual mentality.. So really the people being honored don't care, since that is the kind of people they are, and it's just the fans wanting more.. Understandable, but these nights are more about the person being honored than the fans