In defense of Zach

HellOnICE

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think losing Parise would be a death blow. While he is of course a very good hockey player, I have yet to see that 'take over a game' ability with him as a Devil.

If he's offered 8m by some team, I would sure as hell hope the Devils don't match it.

I agree with this exactly. Maybe I'm conditioning myself to accept him leaving should it occur, but very few guys are worth $8m a year and I dont believe Parise is one of them. However, I do think that he is worth that much to some teams i.e. Minnesota. If he went there, I'd bear no ill will at all towards him.

I think thats exactly whats going to happen too. I think he gets offered around 7 by us and Detroit will offer him 6+, and then Minnesota comes in with the bigger money. We'll see where his allegiance lays.

If Zach goes, he goes, I'm more concerned with how we move from there and hope we avoid wasting time like the Niedermayer BS.

Zach is fantastic. He's a leading component and a prize for any team.

He's not our guy though. He's what he always has been - a key component -- part of a whole.

No one will step up and fvcking lead. Everyone has this idea that being part of a winning team is to be in with the fray - part of the mishmash - everyone emulsified into one gob.

No one gets it -- Your firm individuality turns the team into a complete whole. You are not the Borg fellas. You are not a swarm of bees. Humans are not smart enough for that and it's not sustainable.

You have parts - parts bigger than tough guy, scoring guy, defender, wingman...

you had all fvcking season to figure out the whole... playing as a swarm Well, playoffs you turn into individuals working toward a common goal. Sometimes ONLY ONE GUY can see something and he has to step the fvck up and DO something about it whether the whole team is behind him or not.

Why why why i this so complicated? It's in your nature. The system is not fighting nature it's learning a whole all knowing it -- knowing it so well you CAN ACT ALONE WHEN YOU HAVE TO.

You know -- they are learning and I didn't expect it this season I know. but if you don't get out of the first round you're wasting valuable time. You need to get into the second to make up for last year.

Everyone is behind and not one of this team is important if they don't figure this out.

If Zach leaves fine -- this just isn't working in the present. the future is fine but as for Zach -- whatever. He's delivered all he's going to. If he moves on somewhere where that works for him fine. If he stays that's great too. He'll be a key component in our next Cup win. But he's not the guy to make it happen. It's not who he is. He's aways one of a core who makes it happen. We need someone to lead the core and that has NEVER been Zach Parise and it never will. It's not Daniel Alfreddson Mats Sundin -- you know -- these are amazing super talents. :noclue: but they aren' the guy.

Edited by Pepperkorn

If you have been watching the Devils game then you know you don't need to defend Parise play. He is doing all he can with Kovy's ass dragging. There was an article in the Chicago paper this morning that the Red Wings have $20M in cap space and they want Parise and Suter. They put out the word: we have the money and we can have a cup team next season. It could be Lidstrom last season with the right players.

Thanks Zach for the entertainment value. I think he leaves the Devils because of the financial mess that Vanderbeek has gotten this team into and the negative effect that is going to have for the future of the Devils.

Zach is putting in a lot of effort right now, he just isn't what he was 2 years ago. His injury really threw him off and slowed his progress. Parise isn't natural skill Kovalchuk talented - most of us remember when he first got here he was a good player but then he worked himself day in and day out to develop into a top player. An injury for a whole season really throws a player like that off - not to mention he's playing with another new coach and another new team really.

Honestly, if I'm Zach I'm tired with how things have gone in NJ and want out. And If I'm Lou I don't want to pay Kovy money for Zach when I'm not sure what I'm getting.

Good thing I'm not Zach though because he is a great and loyal player and I feel like he will give the Devils favoritism in the offseason when looking at offers.

if he goes, i would desperately want us to pursue Suter or Weber and pay Kovy money for them haha

I think we all would, but we have a better chance of Scott Stevens coming out of retirement than either of them signing here.

Weber is an RFA, so unless he was traded or Lou threw an offer sheet at him (its something like two first rounders for compensation), thats not happening. Suter is the only one we'd have a shot at.

If we do lose Zach, I'd rather see us go after two players that will have an impact. IE Jason Garrison and Parenteau.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching last night’s game , it reminded me again of how much of a loss it will be if Zach goes this summer.

He is only adding further to his reputation as the league’s hardest working player.

I hope the playoffs are reminding him of what he can achieve if he stays in Jersey.

I still don't think losing Parise would be a death blow. While he is of course a very good hockey player, I have yet to see that 'take over a game' ability with him as a Devil.

Eating my words, yep.

He dominated last night. Every time he was on the ice, he fought hard and made something happen.

If, and this is still a big if, we make it to the 3rd round, I think it will have proven to Zach that this team is for real and can compete with the top teams in the league. So if Parise really is more concerned with playing for a team that can win it all, I think we are just as good a bet as the other likely suitors for his services. If he wants big money, then we never really had a chance anyways, did we? So I'm not too concerned with his situation, I'm just enjoying the playoffs and hoping we can really get past the Flyers because I think it we do, we have a real shot at the Cup this year, especially if the Rangers blow it against the Caps.