Question About A Possible Nieder Trade

Z-Man

Here's the possible scenario: Let's say Lou decided that Nieder was expendable because Tverdovsky and Rafalski were better long term options as offensive defensemen. And he was able to deal Nieder for a quality scoring forward, but couldn't acquire any immediate defense help to replace Nieder right away....

Would anyone be comfortable having the combination of Albelin & most likely Sutton play as the sixth defenseman, if it meant getting someone like Ryan Smyth, Patrick Marleau, Shane Doan, or Marc Savard?

I'm not really focusing on who we would get in return, since some of these guys aren't worth trading for Niedermayer straight up. But I really don't think I'd give up Nieder for scoring help, if it meant having to play Albelin and/or Sutton on a regular basis.

Thoughts?

No to Marleau and Savard...I think Nieds is too much for Doan but I would definitely do it for Smyth.

So you'd be comfortable getting Ryan Smyth, but having to play Albelin 15 minutes a game instead of having Niedermayer? I think Albelin would probably give up more goals than Smyth would add to the team.

I don't want Niedermayer traded at all, really. I like to think he'll break out of this funk he's in right now.

But if he's traded, I want to see a decent defenseman come back with a good 2nd line forward. Which is why I think if Niedermayer is dealt it'll be with someone like Gionta or Berglund.

But Niedermayer for Doan straight up? Tempting, but no. I think it's too much pressure on our defense.

Smyth for Niedermayer is the only one I would consider straight up.. he'd be perfect for the Devils, but Edmonton probably has no interest in Niedermayer.

Patrick Plateau is Niedermayer's forward counterpart. Every year he's going to break out, every year he doesn't.

Savard is small, whiny, and hasn't proved squat.

Doan I would like, but he doesn't have a 39 goal season like Smyth. He's a bit overrated, like Deadmarsh was.

Devils would have to send a forward to make room for this new forward... similarly, they'd have to receive a defenseman, because the team getting Niedermayer could not just drop 25 to 28 minutes of ice time on defense.. very few teams (except for bad ones which would have no interest in Niedermayer) have that kind of room on their blueline.

I wouldn't be comfortable with either Albelin or Sutton.. but I wouldn't have been comfortable with 1 game in 9 Zyuzin either, had he stayed and Niedermayer was dealt.. I said all along, give Zyuzin 5 or 6 games in a row, then evaluate his performance..it didn't happen.

Niedermayer will not be traded, it really too silly to consider.

The old sports axiom rings true: Defense wins championships. Lou has put together the NHL's best defensive unit. It is the strength of our team, it was what won the Cup's for us in 95 & 00.

Why would you tear apart the strength of your team when it is the envy of 29 other teams?

If we trade Nieds are we going to play Albelin in the 6th spot? Is that what you consider "improving the team"?

We are 7-2 with the without a powerplay.

Not a bad position to be in, especially since we have Elias, Nieuwendyk, Gomez, Tivo, and Rafalski. Its just a matter of time before they start to click or Burns will employ a better strategy.

Why force a stupid trade when we don't have to. Geez, we are a bloddy top 5 team in the NHL.

Look around the league is the grass that much greener for other teams? (or the ice that much whiter).

I'm just exasperated. :(

Can you guys that call yourslef Devils fans stop trying to trade our greatest players?

Do you have anything more meaningful to write about other than writing a "Trade Nieds" post of the day.

The Devils defense is best in the league. We'd mees with that why?

I need a long break from this crap. :puke:

Because the Devils offense is severely deficient in physical players who can score. That's why we would mess with that. Defense wins championships, but only when supplemented by a solid offense. The Devils don't have that. Are you going to tell me they do? Who's going to be in front of the net on power plays, McKenzie?

I'm not even talking about the regular season. This team can definitely win in the regular season. They could even take the conference. But they won't go deep into the playoffs as is. And none of this "We haven't seen what they're capable of" stuff..

I'm just exasperated. :(

Can you guys that call yourslef Devils fans stop trying to trade our greatest players?

Do you have anything more meaningful to write about other than writing a "Trade Nieds" post of the day.

The Devils defense is best in the league. We'd mees with that why?

I need a long break from this crap. :puke:

You know what? This is exactly how I feel about it.

I don't feel any bloody need to talk about any deal anywhere.

How can we panic about offense when we've not even gotten into a schedule groove???? There's not an iota of panic in me. Get these guys some regular games and with the EXTREME talent we have, they'll be pucks in nets. Pucks are MUCH more on goal than they were last year, it just takes a little more jelling and a little mo.

You know non-Devils fans asking for these kind of trades, I can see. For us, though, like msweet, I can't fathom any of them.

And here's a tell-tale quote from Burns today that also brings home the point:

"All I care about is adding points [in the standings] and winning games. I don't worry about individual performances too much. Team performance, that's how this team is structured. It always has been."

This is a team. One person down, another steps up. Like Burns said, that's how it always has been.

How about we wait and not jump head first, let the team feel its way through the 1st half, and then Lou can go get an offensive forward who can help us on the power play.

Seems to me that few people are reading my posts..

I'm not saying it has to happen today, or tomorrow, or by Christmas, or by the All-Star Break..because the Devils can win in the regular season without it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Devils have extreme talent, but what they lack in size they almost make up for in talent.

Team performance is a nice goal and all, but unless a few of these players have been severly underused/poorly used on other teams, there's not going to be enough here when the real season starts.

Just look at how every other team in the league is structured, and how every other Cup championship team in the last 8 years is structured, then tell me the Devils fit in with both.. then I'll drop the deal Niedermayer bit.

I'm not going to start counting up goals like some of our resident whiners.. but this team has so little physically in addition to their goal prowess that that almost makes sense.

It ALWAYS seems like few people are reading a person's posts. Cause they react to the ones that they don't agree with and pretty much leave alone the ones that we do.

Obviously size is a factor we could use. The guys we don't talk about had some size. We have some guys in the minors with some size who can come up at some point. They lack some seasoning. I think Berglund can be more Pepe than people expect Danton to be.

But the team we field is the team we have and call me Pollyanna, but I don't mind living with that. With the effort that Burns demands... and he has done quite a bit with quite a bit less... we're gonna do well.

I don't think Tri is advocating making this deal in panic mode. He believes that the "right" deal has to be made (forgive me if I put words in your mouth).

If the right physical forward who can score in the regular season and more importantly, the play-offs, is available for Nieds, then I would be for it also.

My only question is..........why would a team give up this type of player if they are in the hunt also.

I keep coming back to Phoenix, Chort.. they were silly enough to think that Briere would continue to be a 30 goal scorer and that they'd get better by signing Amonte.. that might not be the case now.

Edmonton might be interested in dealing Anson Carter.

Eric Cole would definitely interest the Devils, too.

"Power forwards" very often disappoint early in their careers.. Isbister, Bertuzzi, Guerin, Arnott, there's a long list.. problem is, the Devils might have to suffer through another Arnott in 98 situation

Excellent point, Chort.

The only teams willing to do that is a team that is out of the playoffs around the trade deadline and the player is a UFA.

My concern is your trading away a proven playoff performer in Nieds going into the playoffs. It doesn't make sense.

We need Niedermayer for the playoffs, he plays big in big games.

If they had a top prospect River Rats D-man left, I'd say make a deal for either Smyth or Doan.

Because Lamoriello traded away his defensive depth in Albany the last couple of years, they don't have anyone that's NHL ready.

Mikko Jokela is in his 2nd pro season and might be the only legit D prospect they have there. He needs another season with Albany before being considered.

Why force a stupid trade when we don't have to. Geez, we are a bloddy top 5 team in the NHL.

Acctutally, Devils are 9th in the league. But this season has gone off to a strange start...

Minnesota first? Pittsburg 4th? Tampa 6th?

Colorado 12? with healthy Forsberg?

It is too early in the season to put standings into arguement. Wait till Feburary

I would do Nieder/Stevenson for Patrick Marleau. Marleau is a great 2nd liner. He is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY fast, infact, alot faster then Friesen. He can put up 20+ goals per season, and is a consistent 40 point scorer. Also, he is 6' 200lbs, so he'll add some size to our offense. Also, Marleau played atleast 74+ games in each of his seasons. Maybe Friesen and Marleau still have some chemistry left over. They both are REALLY fast so they might be a great combo, with Gomez in the middle. That might be the fastest line in the East.

I would do that trade in a heart-beat.