Scott Niedermayer files for arbitration

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Norris Trophy winner Scott Niedermayer has also filed for salary arbitration. The resulting one-year deal would then make him an unrestricted free agent after next season as a 31 year old. Niedermayer earned $4 million US last season and might be in line to double that figure.

Full article: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=91180&hubName=nhl

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, let's trade one of the most valuable players on the Devils just because he has filed for arbitration. :rolleyes: He just filed for arbitration, there hasn't been a hearing yet and even if it comes to that, there would still be another year. A lot can happen in that time and Lou is not stupid. He knows that Nieds is an important part of the team and that he needs to sign him long term. I just don't think it's time to start freaking out and thinking of trade proposals.

Yes, let's trade one of the most valuable players on the Devils just because he has filed for arbitration. :rolleyes: He just filed for arbitration, there hasn't been a hearing yet and even if it comes to that, there would still be another year. A lot can happen in that time and Lou is not stupid. He knows that Nieds is an important part of the team and that he needs to sign him long term. I just don't think it's time to start freaking out and thinking of trade proposals.

True, but a lot of us (whether we admit it or not) are still sour about the Bobby Holik situation; I think that's why many of us are pretty much closing the book on the Niedermayer chronicles, you know? I guess we're pretty much on the defensive about it.

Think about it, why else would he file for arbitration other than to get a 1 year deal?

If its money he wants Lou will spend it, he just wants out of NJ, and no team is going to hand over the Devils 5 future 1st rounders for him.

Stevens is at the end of the road, we have to keep Niedermayer otherwise we have no defense. I know he's not a true #1 defensman, but he's pretty damn close. We cannot let him slip away.

I might be missing something here but how is Scott Niedermayer not a true number 1 defenseman?

If Nieds could not get a contract he liked out of Lou in time, he had to file... otherwise the Devils couls have had him for like last year's salary +10%

This gives them more time to work things out and puts Nieds in the strongest position.

Unless Lou was making the offer I could not refuse... I'd do the same.

Lou will still try and sign him long term.

If the labor uncertainty continues.... it might makes sense to wait and see where it shakes out. Lou and Nieds will know how much they have to spend.

It is a gamble for Nieds... he could leverage a better offer from Lou...but also there could be a cap and huge reductions and he could end up at $6 mill per season...anywhere.

The point is, that it is too early to tell where this will go. Unless they had a contract ready... Nieds had to file.

Think about it, why else would he file for arbitration other than to get a 1 year deal?

If its money he wants Lou will spend it, he just wants out of NJ, and no team is going to hand over the Devils 5 future 1st rounders for him.

Or maybe he's looking to keep his options open while continuing to negotiate? None of us know for sure, we can't read Nieds' mind and he's not the type to ever come right out and say something. Some people read that as him wanting out of NJ. Fine, I can see that, but that is just NOT his personality. He rarely shows emotion on the ice if he scores or the like, but does that mean he doesn't want to be playing hockey? Of course not.

lets not get our panties in a bunch ok?

breathe

everyone

ok....

gooooooooood

now...nieds = great defenseman and my favourite player.

bit if he wants to play somewhere else then i want him to leave. if he wants vancouver..give him vancouver. I personally believe that he wants to leave he should leave...i know when i first started posting here i went on and on about how i would cry and rant and rave if he signed with someone else or got traded or blah blah blah...but i think that if he stays here he wont be happy...therfore he wont be a happy nieds and i would rather have a happy good playing nieds than a grouchy butt-face nieds...

i think maybe this is a good way for him to end off his career also EVEN THO HE CANT RIGHT NOW!!! REMEMBER THAAAAT...

3 time cup champs...norris trophy winner...the guys got it all.

but maybe he thinks hes missing something he can get in vancouver.

so...yes if EVENTUALLY (mnd you because right now hes not goin anywhere right now...) i think he should go... i wouldnt want nieds to leave on a bad or sour note..

plus im a deivls fan first so...

have a nice night everyone

try and look on the bright side...everything has a silver lining...

edit//i just read this over and it seems like im saying "PACK YOUR BAGS FOOOOO!!" and thats soooo not what im saying. i just think people are way too uptight!!!! LOOSEN UP!! the guys has given like 12 years of his career...anyone would want a change by now!!! '

so what im saying is, if what some say, that he wants out of NJ, is true...then dont whine and pout..thank him for the years and effort he gave to us...

aaaaah thats better...

Edited by Nieda

Or maybe he's looking to keep his options open while continuing to negotiate? None of us know for sure, we can't read Nieds' mind and he's not the type to ever come right out and say something. Some people read that as him wanting out of NJ. Fine, I can see that, but that is just NOT his personality. He rarely shows emotion on the ice if he scores or the like, but does that mean he doesn't want to be playing hockey? Of course not.

I hope you are right!

It's hard to not think negatively after what happened with Holik.

All I have to say if that Nieds leaves us after next year and he doesn't want to stay a devil there is no loyalty in sports. And if he is a ufa next year and signs with a different team i hope he sucks. I wont be on the boarda all day friday, ill be getting my hockey frustrations out at Ozzfest, good night all

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE

He does have to think about his kids. Like it or not, hockey probably isn't, in the grand scheme of things, his number one priority: his children are. So if he wants to move, or even if he's contemplating moving in the future, however distant that may be, he has to think about doing it with the least amount of disruption to his children.

Maybe he's bored with NJ. Variety is the spice of life and all that. What else does he have to achieve with the Devs? He's won the cup, he's won the Norris, he's won the Olympics, he's been on the All Star Team, he's been captain for the better part of a year- there is nothing left for him. It does not surprise me and would not surprise me were he to leave.

However, every time Nieds is up for a new contract I think, with the utmost certainty: this is it, he's leaving. I've always been wrong so far. Let us pray, to whatever gods we may believe in, that the trend is not broken and I will be wrong again.

Edited by ciyenne

Facts about Niedermayer:

He loves NJ

He wants to stay in NJ

He wants his brother to come to NJ

Facts in general:

No way in hell Vancouver can pay Nieder, Bertuzzi, Naslund. There's no way.

It's no big deal the arbitration, he wants to play next season, but definitely negogiate long term. I have no problem with this.